“Best Retreat Location and MORE!” 5 of 5 stars

Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
Osa Peninsula, Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 15 hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Portland, Maine, United States
“Best Retreat Location and MORE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I found Blue Osa online and took a chance on booking my first retreat there in March of 2012. I had not been to Costa Rica for a retreat. I had travelled to Mexico and experienced larger venues and thought that they were idyllic until my experience at Blue Osa.

Yogi Aaron, one of the owners, supported and guided me via email before my arrival. As a first time retreat leader, I had many questions and he answered ALL of them in a timely and kind manner. He gave me advice and also gave me room to make some of my own decisions which left me feeling empowered and excited about being a first time leader.

I decided to return this year to Blue Osa to lead my second retreat and Yogi Aaron and his staff were as helpful and friendly as they were my first time around...it was like coming back home!

From the first moment of your arrival at Blue Osa, you are treated like one of the family. Aaron and his staff are friendly, helpful, and courteous. Staff member greet you every morning with a smile and cheery "Buenos Dias"!

From there, it's 5 stars in every category! The rooms are simple and elegant and incredibly clean. This is an eco-resort and so the rooms are cooled by overhead fans and super-fans that are placed bedside. However, at night, it's the ocean breeze that cools the rooms and the sounds of the rainforest that lull you to sleep. You will hear and see toucans, macaws, and howler monkeys. There is morning silence till 7:30am though you will be greeted by the wagging tails of Shiva, Rama, Pete and Steve - The Dogs of Blue Osa.

The food at Blue Osa is the best I have ever experienced at any retreat I have visited including my experiences at very well known centers in Tulum, Mexico. The menu is incredibly varied and everything is made fresh that day. This is due to Marie, the head chef. She is dedicated to the art of cooking and her kitchen is run with LOVE!

Blue Osa has a private beach as well as a chlorine free pool. You can walk on the beach and/or swim in the ocean for an extended time without seeing a soul....You REALLY are in the middle of the rainforest!

The Yoga Studio is not only beautiful but solidly built. The floors are resilient and the studio is stocked with plenty of blocks, straps and blankets. There are ceiling fans to help cool down the space if needed but I found the ocean breeze to be ideal. The view of the ocean is spectacular and I can think of no better place to do morning meditation than facing the ocean during sunrise.

Before every dinner, Aaron, Marie, members of the staff and the guests gather before the food. Aaron speaks to the sacred quality of life, the importance of breaking bread together and being at cause for living in accordance with nature. He brings us back to understanding that who we are being is even more important then what we do for a living and that Blue Osa is the place where we can re-set our intentions to live life from love, compassion, and awareness....It just doesn't get better than this.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

230 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Yarmouth, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The Blue Osa resort is indeed a sacred and loving space. I have travelled to Blue Osa 2 years in a row for a one week yoga retreat with my teacher and dear friends and family. Upon my return to Blue Osa this year I felt like I was home from the moment that I stepped on to the property. Aaron (owner) and staff- Paul, Marie, Jose, Jesus, Marcella and many more are full of love. They live their lives and practice connection and compassion for people in every moment creating a space where visitors are considered family.
Accomodations are simple but beautiful with a focus on environmental sustainability. The property is impeccably maintained with beautifully landscaped yard. The beach sits right off the property facing east toward everyday's amazing sunrise. The food is the best I have ever experienced at any resort anywhere in the world and it is made with love. Nature surrounds the area, of course, as it is Costa Rica, with daily sightings of macaws, tucans and the like as well as monkeys and more. This place is nature and humanity at its best.
We went for yoga but received transformation. Blue Osa brings brought out the best in all of us.

Room Tip: All rooms are sweet and comfortable
Weymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My Blue Osa experience was beyond my expectations. My hours were spent in wonderful sensory overload with delicious meals and becoming one with nature that is so bountiful at Blue Osa....warm waves on a long secluded beach, mated macaws flying overhead, breathtaking sunrises, monkey serenades and the loyal dogs of Blue Osa that keep you company while playing in the waves. I was there for a yoga retreat in April and a retreat it was in every sense of the word. If you are looking for respite from your busy life, or looking for time to find some peace and go within, the abundant nature here is sure to help you find it. Healthy gourmet meals presented by the most friendly staff make every meal a joyful experience! The people of Blue Osa live with open hearts and are here to make sure your every wish and whim is fulfilled whether it is a hike or a zipline experience or wanting to learn more about the local flora and fauna or the most amazing massages you'll ever experience. Here is where you will find it. I have experienced Costa Rica and I was glad I experienced it at Blue Osa. I will return....

Room Tip: no need to choose ~ they are all within hearing of the ocean waves and all very special
Quincy, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Every now and then I encounter a sacred space where I stop and think, someone really sat alone with a vision and heart-intention in order to manifest a space for deep holding, healing and transformation. Aaron the owner at blue osa, has clearly dug in very deep!

I have just returned from leading a week-long yoga retreat at Blue Osa.

Here is an excerpt from my thank you note I sent to Aaron:

"Thank you for creating an expansive space for creativity, mourning, healing, possibility, dreams, connecting with childlike parts, desire, permission, and a bunch of other quiet pauses for magic to simply snuggle up next to us and speak personally and miraculously in our own task of stilling our lives.

Thanks for having the faith and vision to see that this would be possible for the people who would come. Thanks for leaving a space open for us to fall into. Wow!"

Blue Osa allowed my group to easily and comfortably settle in. The wild-life, the animals. the yoga studio, the staff all allowed us to become very present, very quickly. I have never led a retreat where my students loved on one another more extravagantly and I feel the environment allowed us to shed our many layers and be completely in the moment, to feel, to express, to move through.

Michael, the manager, was so easy to work with. I felt that he easily read when something was important for me. He is very fluid, pleasant and does not emanate the stress or weight of his responsibility, which I’m sure he feels.

Marcela and Jesus, the massage therapists, deeply touched and soothed members of my group who give out so much in their daily lives. They are both skilled and trained in a variety of treatment modalities. They are also healers, who bring amazing energy to allow their clients to settle in and finally, fully, feel.

Marie, the culinary master-mind brings not only amazing skill to her dishes, but she also with great abandon shares her heart and her love in her meals or just in passing on the beach. The staff is kind, funny and so enjoyable to be around.

Paul, the bartender and also a very special yogi, joined in on some of our classes and quickly wormed his way into our hearts. We wanted to pack him into our suitcase.

Blue Osa is simple, refreshing, peaceful and playful. It can't fully be described, because it must be felt with the heart. I have already booked my retreat dates for next year. It has become for me a special home.

All Love, Rebecca :)

Room Tip: All of the rooms are beautiful and unique.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Blue Osa provides you with the peaceful sanctuary that we all need at times from our busy lives. I attended a yoga retreat there recently with some amazing people. From the moment you arrive, the staff cares for you like family with warm friendly smiles. The views of the sun and ocean in the early morning will take your breath away. The food was healthy and tasty. It is definitely worth the trip and I eagerly await returning next year. Namaste.

Room Tip: A room under the yoga studio facing the ocean.
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I purchased a vacation package from Living Social for Blue Osa and stayed for 7 days with my wife in late March. I have traveled all over the world, and nothing has left a bigger imprint for me than my stay at Blue Osa. It's as though someone took the most majestic piece of ocean front land and just dropped this tiny resort perfectly in place.

We did not go as part of a yoga retreat, but we did use the yoga studio often. The studio is fully equipped with all props and rental mats. The studio overlooks the ocean and the sounds of the waves crashing add the perfect soundtrack for your practice. If you don't practice yoga, don't worry, there were plenty of people who were there just for the R&R that never stepped foot in the yoga studio. It seems like they had just as an incredible time as we did.

Blue Osa is EXTREMELY laid back. You can have dinner in shorts and a t-shirt, lunch in your swimsuit, and enjoy some cocktails in the evening. Aaron, the owner, is a legit yogi who is extremely kind . He and his staff take the business of running Blue Osa very seriously, but they don't take themselves very seriously which means lots of fun and laughter.

The food is prepared by a French chef named Marie and her loyal assistants. The only other time I have eaten this well was in the Tuscan countryside. For those of you who have been to Italy, need I say more?

Blue Osa has plenty of activities to keep you occupied. However, the location is very remote and provides an excellent opportunity to unplug from the world, read, and reflect. The remoteness of Blue Osa also means that the beautiful black sand beach is almost always deserted. I really enjoyed the rare opportunity to literally be on my own private tropical beach.

Who should not go here:
-There is no air conditioning, but you will get used to it like I did. I had no trouble sleeping whatsoever. If you cannot handle the thought of not having AC, then don't go

-If you don't know what to do with yourself unless there are non-stop activities, don't go. There are activities, but if you can't read a book or just relax by the pool or beach for a couple of hours then this might not work for you.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that is entirely screened in so that you won't need to use the mosquito nettin...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I spent a glorious week at the Blue Osa. This was different from any other vacation experience we've had. If you are looking for a big party by the pool every day, this is not for you. If you are looking for a retreat to nature, incredibly healthy and tasty food, reflection and peace, this is the spot. There are also a lot of expeditions (kayaking, hiking in the rainforest, zip lining, etc.), that we enjoyed. The beach in front of the Blue Osa is extremely private and untouched. I would suggest walking left on the beach for a bit before getting in the water...hardly any rocks there. Many days we felt like we were on our own little island as we floated in the ocean waters. We stayed in the front room under the yoga studio and it was beautiful, elegant, and Eco-friendly. Lovely all around and the food is simply fabulous. The dogs that live there are amazing and often went for ocean swims with us. Wonderful recharging experience. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Front two rooms under the yoga studio are very nice with private porches. Some rooms do not have fu...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!