“When a place clearly holds it's intention!” 5 of 5 stars

Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
Osa Peninsula, Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 16 hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Quincy, Massachusetts
“When a place clearly holds it's intention!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Every now and then I encounter a sacred space where I stop and think, someone really sat alone with a vision and heart-intention in order to manifest a space for deep holding, healing and transformation. Aaron the owner at blue osa, has clearly dug in very deep!

I have just returned from leading a week-long yoga retreat at Blue Osa.

Here is an excerpt from my thank you note I sent to Aaron:

"Thank you for creating an expansive space for creativity, mourning, healing, possibility, dreams, connecting with childlike parts, desire, permission, and a bunch of other quiet pauses for magic to simply snuggle up next to us and speak personally and miraculously in our own task of stilling our lives.

Thanks for having the faith and vision to see that this would be possible for the people who would come. Thanks for leaving a space open for us to fall into. Wow!"

Blue Osa allowed my group to easily and comfortably settle in. The wild-life, the animals. the yoga studio, the staff all allowed us to become very present, very quickly. I have never led a retreat where my students loved on one another more extravagantly and I feel the environment allowed us to shed our many layers and be completely in the moment, to feel, to express, to move through.

Michael, the manager, was so easy to work with. I felt that he easily read when something was important for me. He is very fluid, pleasant and does not emanate the stress or weight of his responsibility, which I’m sure he feels.

Marcela and Jesus, the massage therapists, deeply touched and soothed members of my group who give out so much in their daily lives. They are both skilled and trained in a variety of treatment modalities. They are also healers, who bring amazing energy to allow their clients to settle in and finally, fully, feel.

Marie, the culinary master-mind brings not only amazing skill to her dishes, but she also with great abandon shares her heart and her love in her meals or just in passing on the beach. The staff is kind, funny and so enjoyable to be around.

Paul, the bartender and also a very special yogi, joined in on some of our classes and quickly wormed his way into our hearts. We wanted to pack him into our suitcase.

Blue Osa is simple, refreshing, peaceful and playful. It can't fully be described, because it must be felt with the heart. I have already booked my retreat dates for next year. It has become for me a special home.

All Love, Rebecca :)

Room Tip: All of the rooms are beautiful and unique.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

234 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Blue Osa provides you with the peaceful sanctuary that we all need at times from our busy lives. I attended a yoga retreat there recently with some amazing people. From the moment you arrive, the staff cares for you like family with warm friendly smiles. The views of the sun and ocean in the early morning will take your breath away. The food was healthy and tasty. It is definitely worth the trip and I eagerly await returning next year. Namaste.

Room Tip: A room under the yoga studio facing the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I purchased a vacation package from Living Social for Blue Osa and stayed for 7 days with my wife in late March. I have traveled all over the world, and nothing has left a bigger imprint for me than my stay at Blue Osa. It's as though someone took the most majestic piece of ocean front land and just dropped this tiny resort perfectly in place.

We did not go as part of a yoga retreat, but we did use the yoga studio often. The studio is fully equipped with all props and rental mats. The studio overlooks the ocean and the sounds of the waves crashing add the perfect soundtrack for your practice. If you don't practice yoga, don't worry, there were plenty of people who were there just for the R&R that never stepped foot in the yoga studio. It seems like they had just as an incredible time as we did.

Blue Osa is EXTREMELY laid back. You can have dinner in shorts and a t-shirt, lunch in your swimsuit, and enjoy some cocktails in the evening. Aaron, the owner, is a legit yogi who is extremely kind . He and his staff take the business of running Blue Osa very seriously, but they don't take themselves very seriously which means lots of fun and laughter.

The food is prepared by a French chef named Marie and her loyal assistants. The only other time I have eaten this well was in the Tuscan countryside. For those of you who have been to Italy, need I say more?

Blue Osa has plenty of activities to keep you occupied. However, the location is very remote and provides an excellent opportunity to unplug from the world, read, and reflect. The remoteness of Blue Osa also means that the beautiful black sand beach is almost always deserted. I really enjoyed the rare opportunity to literally be on my own private tropical beach.

Who should not go here:
-There is no air conditioning, but you will get used to it like I did. I had no trouble sleeping whatsoever. If you cannot handle the thought of not having AC, then don't go

-If you don't know what to do with yourself unless there are non-stop activities, don't go. There are activities, but if you can't read a book or just relax by the pool or beach for a couple of hours then this might not work for you.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that is entirely screened in so that you won't need to use the mosquito nettin...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I spent a glorious week at the Blue Osa. This was different from any other vacation experience we've had. If you are looking for a big party by the pool every day, this is not for you. If you are looking for a retreat to nature, incredibly healthy and tasty food, reflection and peace, this is the spot. There are also a lot of expeditions (kayaking, hiking in the rainforest, zip lining, etc.), that we enjoyed. The beach in front of the Blue Osa is extremely private and untouched. I would suggest walking left on the beach for a bit before getting in the water...hardly any rocks there. Many days we felt like we were on our own little island as we floated in the ocean waters. We stayed in the front room under the yoga studio and it was beautiful, elegant, and Eco-friendly. Lovely all around and the food is simply fabulous. The dogs that live there are amazing and often went for ocean swims with us. Wonderful recharging experience. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Front two rooms under the yoga studio are very nice with private porches. Some rooms do not have fu...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I'm a mid-50's fit and active traveller who wanted to experience Costa Rica through a quiet vacation in just one place by the sea. In doing so I could look forward to watching the light of each day, the sights and sounds of the jungle animals, swim everyday and experience yoga without the frenetic hustle and bustle of "vacation". Blue Osa was the perfect place for me and exceeded my expectations. The amenities are dreamy, the food beautiful and delicious and the staff friendly and personable. The yoga deck was fabulous with views of the ocean and open breezes coming in from all sides. It was a home-away-from-home for me and I soon hope to return.

Room Tip: I recommend a room with cross-ventilation such as a corner location. This is an eco-resort without a...
Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have retreated at Blue Osa three times in 4 years: twice as a yoga participant and on my latest visit, I held my first yoga retreat there. I can honestly say, Blue Osa continues to impress and gets better with time!" The buildings, rooms and grounds are quite lovely. If you need to get away, this is the place! The yoga deck is fabulously beautiful. Great for practice and meditation. Also, you have the beach at the end of the property that is quiet and peaceful. Mouthwatering delectable meals prepared by Chef Marie. With Aaron, Marie, Gabby, Jose and the rest of the staff, my retreat-sters and I was left wanting nothing! The entire Blue Osa staff is to be commended for their attention to service and detail! Blue Osa is Paradise!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Our family just returned from a week at Blue Osa. And we had a great time. Nice safe beach, although on the last day one of my sons was stung by a jellyfish - apparently rare there, however. The staff could not have been better, a truly wonderful collection of folks. Your lack of Spanish will not be a problem.

The yoga studio was gorgeous, overlooking the water, and a daily treat. Other highlights: I believe that people who decide to go there will all be nice. They will be interesting, care about the environment and friendly; mango smoothies; beautifully cared for grounds; a lap pool, many areas to relax in, in privacy; large rooms; a library of English books - I borrowed the wonderful award-winning novel, The Book Thief, and managed to finish it in time and did not have to abscond with it - so it is there for you to enjoy; very comfortable beds; and Marcella is a tremendous masseuse.

FYI: There is no airconditioning since the resort is all solar powered (kudos for that) and there was only one night that was too hot - each room has a number of fans, which make a big difference.

The meals were beautifully presented, high quality food, great variety. The kitchen team was led by the immensely talented chef, Marie. Our kids got to enjoy some foods they never had tried before and they loved it. We brought out two teenage sons and while they did enjoy themselves ( they love water, are mature and independent) this is primarily a resort for adults. Lastly Blue Osa has four dogs - we had lots of fun with them and miss them already.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!