“Still re-living the experience in my mind” 5 of 5 stars

Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
3.5 of 5 Spa   |   Osa Peninsula, Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Brooklyn, New York, United States
“Still re-living the experience in my mind”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I purchased a vacation package from Living Social for Blue Osa and stayed for 7 days with my wife in late March. I have traveled all over the world, and nothing has left a bigger imprint for me than my stay at Blue Osa. It's as though someone took the most majestic piece of ocean front land and just dropped this tiny resort perfectly in place.

We did not go as part of a yoga retreat, but we did use the yoga studio often. The studio is fully equipped with all props and rental mats. The studio overlooks the ocean and the sounds of the waves crashing add the perfect soundtrack for your practice. If you don't practice yoga, don't worry, there were plenty of people who were there just for the R&R that never stepped foot in the yoga studio. It seems like they had just as an incredible time as we did.

Blue Osa is EXTREMELY laid back. You can have dinner in shorts and a t-shirt, lunch in your swimsuit, and enjoy some cocktails in the evening. Aaron, the owner, is a legit yogi who is extremely kind . He and his staff take the business of running Blue Osa very seriously, but they don't take themselves very seriously which means lots of fun and laughter.

The food is prepared by a French chef named Marie and her loyal assistants. The only other time I have eaten this well was in the Tuscan countryside. For those of you who have been to Italy, need I say more?

Blue Osa has plenty of activities to keep you occupied. However, the location is very remote and provides an excellent opportunity to unplug from the world, read, and reflect. The remoteness of Blue Osa also means that the beautiful black sand beach is almost always deserted. I really enjoyed the rare opportunity to literally be on my own private tropical beach.

Who should not go here:
-There is no air conditioning, but you will get used to it like I did. I had no trouble sleeping whatsoever. If you cannot handle the thought of not having AC, then don't go

-If you don't know what to do with yourself unless there are non-stop activities, don't go. There are activities, but if you can't read a book or just relax by the pool or beach for a couple of hours then this might not work for you.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that is entirely screened in so that you won't need to use the mosquito nettin...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I spent a glorious week at the Blue Osa. This was different from any other vacation experience we've had. If you are looking for a big party by the pool every day, this is not for you. If you are looking for a retreat to nature, incredibly healthy and tasty food, reflection and peace, this is the spot. There are also a lot of expeditions (kayaking, hiking in the rainforest, zip lining, etc.), that we enjoyed. The beach in front of the Blue Osa is extremely private and untouched. I would suggest walking left on the beach for a bit before getting in the water...hardly any rocks there. Many days we felt like we were on our own little island as we floated in the ocean waters. We stayed in the front room under the yoga studio and it was beautiful, elegant, and Eco-friendly. Lovely all around and the food is simply fabulous. The dogs that live there are amazing and often went for ocean swims with us. Wonderful recharging experience. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Front two rooms under the yoga studio are very nice with private porches. Some rooms do not have fu...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I'm a mid-50's fit and active traveller who wanted to experience Costa Rica through a quiet vacation in just one place by the sea. In doing so I could look forward to watching the light of each day, the sights and sounds of the jungle animals, swim everyday and experience yoga without the frenetic hustle and bustle of "vacation". Blue Osa was the perfect place for me and exceeded my expectations. The amenities are dreamy, the food beautiful and delicious and the staff friendly and personable. The yoga deck was fabulous with views of the ocean and open breezes coming in from all sides. It was a home-away-from-home for me and I soon hope to return.

Room Tip: I recommend a room with cross-ventilation such as a corner location. This is an eco-resort without a...
Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have retreated at Blue Osa three times in 4 years: twice as a yoga participant and on my latest visit, I held my first yoga retreat there. I can honestly say, Blue Osa continues to impress and gets better with time!" The buildings, rooms and grounds are quite lovely. If you need to get away, this is the place! The yoga deck is fabulously beautiful. Great for practice and meditation. Also, you have the beach at the end of the property that is quiet and peaceful. Mouthwatering delectable meals prepared by Chef Marie. With Aaron, Marie, Gabby, Jose and the rest of the staff, my retreat-sters and I was left wanting nothing! The entire Blue Osa staff is to be commended for their attention to service and detail! Blue Osa is Paradise!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Our family just returned from a week at Blue Osa. And we had a great time. Nice safe beach, although on the last day one of my sons was stung by a jellyfish - apparently rare there, however. The staff could not have been better, a truly wonderful collection of folks. Your lack of Spanish will not be a problem.

The yoga studio was gorgeous, overlooking the water, and a daily treat. Other highlights: I believe that people who decide to go there will all be nice. They will be interesting, care about the environment and friendly; mango smoothies; beautifully cared for grounds; a lap pool, many areas to relax in, in privacy; large rooms; a library of English books - I borrowed the wonderful award-winning novel, The Book Thief, and managed to finish it in time and did not have to abscond with it - so it is there for you to enjoy; very comfortable beds; and Marcella is a tremendous masseuse.

FYI: There is no airconditioning since the resort is all solar powered (kudos for that) and there was only one night that was too hot - each room has a number of fans, which make a big difference.

The meals were beautifully presented, high quality food, great variety. The kitchen team was led by the immensely talented chef, Marie. Our kids got to enjoy some foods they never had tried before and they loved it. We brought out two teenage sons and while they did enjoy themselves ( they love water, are mature and independent) this is primarily a resort for adults. Lastly Blue Osa has four dogs - we had lots of fun with them and miss them already.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Piedras Blancas, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I am a fellow lodge owner in Costa Rica and took my female staff to Blue Osa for a girls getaway. This is a great spot to enjoy the quiet and solitude of the beach in an un-rushed environment. We got massages, ate delicious food, and had a great time getting to know the staff. It was a special treat! It has a very campy and cozy feel to it (mealtimes are set and served family style, which I love). Be aware that the mornings at Blue Osa are quiet (i.e., there is meditation time) so if you want to be chatty in the a.m., grab a cup of coffee, head to the beach and talk to the fish! Or, use the meditation time to meditate and reflect on the beauty there, which is an ideal spot to soak it all in.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Manhattan, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This was my 1st stay at Blue Osa. The property is right on the beach on lush landscaped grounds. The design of the buildings and pool is very zen-like and blends perfectly with the surroundings. The staff couldn't have been more welcoming and accommodating. I mentioned casually to another guest that I wish my room had a little more ventilation and soon after discovered a large floor-stand fan in my room and another smaller fan on my nigh stand! The food is amazing! Marie, the cook had an array of completely different dishes prepared every day. I had heard she never cooks the same thing twice! I had a couple of massages by Jesus and an acupuncture session from Koji - both wonderful! Thank you Aaron, Paul, Michael, Marie and the rest of the staff... hope to see you again soon!

Room Tip: If you have the bucks get the penthouse (at canopy level)!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
La Chosa del Manglar
La Chosa del Manglar
#10 of 15 in Puerto Jimenez
3.5 of 5 stars 35 reviews

Been to Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!