“Amazingly peaceful retreat for body and soul...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Jimenez
Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
You added Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa to your Saves list
Osa Peninsula, Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Carlsbad, California
“Amazingly peaceful retreat for body and soul...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I spent a glorious week at the Blue Osa. This was different from any other vacation experience we've had. If you are looking for a big party by the pool every day, this is not for you. If you are looking for a retreat to nature, incredibly healthy and tasty food, reflection and peace, this is the spot. There are also a lot of expeditions (kayaking, hiking in the rainforest, zip lining, etc.), that we enjoyed. The beach in front of the Blue Osa is extremely private and untouched. I would suggest walking left on the beach for a bit before getting in the water...hardly any rocks there. Many days we felt like we were on our own little island as we floated in the ocean waters. We stayed in the front room under the yoga studio and it was beautiful, elegant, and Eco-friendly. Lovely all around and the food is simply fabulous. The dogs that live there are amazing and often went for ocean swims with us. Wonderful recharging experience. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Front two rooms under the yoga studio are very nice with private porches. Some rooms do not have fu...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I'm a mid-50's fit and active traveller who wanted to experience Costa Rica through a quiet vacation in just one place by the sea. In doing so I could look forward to watching the light of each day, the sights and sounds of the jungle animals, swim everyday and experience yoga without the frenetic hustle and bustle of "vacation". Blue Osa was the perfect place for me and exceeded my expectations. The amenities are dreamy, the food beautiful and delicious and the staff friendly and personable. The yoga deck was fabulous with views of the ocean and open breezes coming in from all sides. It was a home-away-from-home for me and I soon hope to return.

Room Tip: I recommend a room with cross-ventilation such as a corner location. This is an eco-resort without a...
Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have retreated at Blue Osa three times in 4 years: twice as a yoga participant and on my latest visit, I held my first yoga retreat there. I can honestly say, Blue Osa continues to impress and gets better with time!" The buildings, rooms and grounds are quite lovely. If you need to get away, this is the place! The yoga deck is fabulously beautiful. Great for practice and meditation. Also, you have the beach at the end of the property that is quiet and peaceful. Mouthwatering delectable meals prepared by Chef Marie. With Aaron, Marie, Gabby, Jose and the rest of the staff, my retreat-sters and I was left wanting nothing! The entire Blue Osa staff is to be commended for their attention to service and detail! Blue Osa is Paradise!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Our family just returned from a week at Blue Osa. And we had a great time. Nice safe beach, although on the last day one of my sons was stung by a jellyfish - apparently rare there, however. The staff could not have been better, a truly wonderful collection of folks. Your lack of Spanish will not be a problem.

The yoga studio was gorgeous, overlooking the water, and a daily treat. Other highlights: I believe that people who decide to go there will all be nice. They will be interesting, care about the environment and friendly; mango smoothies; beautifully cared for grounds; a lap pool, many areas to relax in, in privacy; large rooms; a library of English books - I borrowed the wonderful award-winning novel, The Book Thief, and managed to finish it in time and did not have to abscond with it - so it is there for you to enjoy; very comfortable beds; and Marcella is a tremendous masseuse.

FYI: There is no airconditioning since the resort is all solar powered (kudos for that) and there was only one night that was too hot - each room has a number of fans, which make a big difference.

The meals were beautifully presented, high quality food, great variety. The kitchen team was led by the immensely talented chef, Marie. Our kids got to enjoy some foods they never had tried before and they loved it. We brought out two teenage sons and while they did enjoy themselves ( they love water, are mature and independent) this is primarily a resort for adults. Lastly Blue Osa has four dogs - we had lots of fun with them and miss them already.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Piedras Blancas, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I am a fellow lodge owner in Costa Rica and took my female staff to Blue Osa for a girls getaway. This is a great spot to enjoy the quiet and solitude of the beach in an un-rushed environment. We got massages, ate delicious food, and had a great time getting to know the staff. It was a special treat! It has a very campy and cozy feel to it (mealtimes are set and served family style, which I love). Be aware that the mornings at Blue Osa are quiet (i.e., there is meditation time) so if you want to be chatty in the a.m., grab a cup of coffee, head to the beach and talk to the fish! Or, use the meditation time to meditate and reflect on the beauty there, which is an ideal spot to soak it all in.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Manhattan, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This was my 1st stay at Blue Osa. The property is right on the beach on lush landscaped grounds. The design of the buildings and pool is very zen-like and blends perfectly with the surroundings. The staff couldn't have been more welcoming and accommodating. I mentioned casually to another guest that I wish my room had a little more ventilation and soon after discovered a large floor-stand fan in my room and another smaller fan on my nigh stand! The food is amazing! Marie, the cook had an array of completely different dishes prepared every day. I had heard she never cooks the same thing twice! I had a couple of massages by Jesus and an acupuncture session from Koji - both wonderful! Thank you Aaron, Paul, Michael, Marie and the rest of the staff... hope to see you again soon!

Room Tip: If you have the bucks get the penthouse (at canopy level)!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Blue Osa is located in a very private setting with a nice beach and plush grounds. The staff is excellent and they do a great job keeping the place clean.

I was expecting something different as they call it a resort. It does not have amenities that you would expect a traditional resort to have. I applaud that they are eco-friendly but there is a price to pay for that. For instance, no air conditioning. The ceiling fan is on a timer so you have to continually get up at night to turn it back on. They ask you (many times) to not flush the toilet paper. This I understand however, they should empty the trash more than once/day for the odor.

I also felt they were "nickel and diming" us. If you get there before 4PM you will be charged for lunch even though there is nowhere else to eat. They don't include that meal in your price. They also charge for yoga mats which I find ridiculous. They should just include that in the total price if you are there for a yoga retreat.

The food is exceptional however, there isn't always enough of it. For breakfast they serve fruit and granola. Although both are delicious, I'm still hungry. Many of the snacks were light as well. So bring some nutritional bars or nuts to hold you over.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
blueosa, Owner at Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Hi DG,

Thank you so much for your comments to us. We always make a point of letting our staff know any positive reviews that come to Blue Osa, and that the hard work they do to make Blue Osa happen is appreciated and valued. I am also happy to hear you enjoyed the food and will make sure Marie knows. She takes such great care and pride in how the guests are taken care of in the dining room.

I am so sorry that Blue Osa did not meet your expectation and I am grateful that we have an opportunity to clarify a few missing details in this review.  Reviews really help Blue Osa to get our message across and help people to prepare for the journey us.

I would like to address a couple of the factual comments you made.

1.  Even though we are referred to as a resort, in true definition, while we are seemingly a resort, we are actually a yoga retreat.  We are not Club Med, or a cruise line with an all service buffet and amenities.  The magic of Blue Osa, as you may have found, comes through in the simplicity of what we offer.  We have found that our guests come to us because we have great environmental practices and while we do not preach to our guests a specific way of being, we definitely encourage a practice of learning and mindfulness.

2. The fans are on a timer for one hour in the rooms.  The ceiling fans draw an enormous amount of power from our battery banks which are charged by the sun during the day.  If all the fans were left on during the night, our battery banks would be drained before the morning.   We do provide bed fans which are small, very eco friendly, and very powerful.  Typically, most guests leave their bed fans on a low setting in the night and have to turn them off because the temperature drops about 10 degrees.

3. We are currently working on putting some more information on our website about the costs of running an eco retreat.  But to give you an idea, we currently just replaced our battery bank which cost us $30,000.   Although this is changing, it is not cheap to be environmentally aware due to the lack of infrastructure.  But it is the commitment of Blue Osa to do its part, and the guests who come to Blue Osa are contributing in showing up. So we thank you for showing up.

4.  We have down our best to indicate very clearly on our website, welcome package, frequently asked questions, and here on Trip Advisor that we do NOT provide air conditioning and clearly this was not communicated to you. If you could let us know how we could improve in how we impart information, please let us know because it is so important for us to have happy and taken care of guests when they come to Blue Osa.

5. We do charge for the use of a yoga mat. Guests have the option of bringing one, or renting a thick yoga mat while they are at Blue Osa.  While this may seem outrageous to many, the costs of shipping these mats and providing these services are enormous.  You made a great suggestion of just adding it to the price of staying at Blue Osa.  We would like to keep our prices as low as possible, and then allow people to choose what they would like to take advantage of from our services when they arrive.

6. Our check in time is at 2 PM and our check out time is at 10 PM.  As we include meals in the cost of staying with us, we do charge for lunch if someone would like to come early on the day of check-in, or stay later on the day of check-out.

7.  One of the biggest comments we receive from our guests is how much food there is.  I believe you stayed at Blue Osa during a yoga retreat in which we served four meals a day. Two heaver meals and two lighter meals.  While we typically serve buffet style meals to allow people to choose from the options provided, we are not an all you can eat service.  Having said that, if you had indicated your "hunger" to us, we would have been more than happy to do our best to accommodate you.

8.  We do ask our guests to throw the toilet paper in the trash bins, and on a point of interest, this is a practice you typically do throughout latin america and asia. Our system is very sensitive to toilet paper and can cause no end of problems.  The toilet paper trash bins have a lid, and are emptied every morning when we service the rooms.  We are happy to empty it more often upon request.

We do our best to be up-front as possible on our website about what to expect when booking with us.   I wish we could have done better for you.

Blessings
Yogi Aaron
Owner and Yoga Director of Blue Osa

Been to Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!