“restful location, delicious food, great staff, beautiful beach” 5 of 5 stars

Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
Osa Peninsula, Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Piedras Blancas, Costa Rica
“restful location, delicious food, great staff, beautiful beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I am a fellow lodge owner in Costa Rica and took my female staff to Blue Osa for a girls getaway. This is a great spot to enjoy the quiet and solitude of the beach in an un-rushed environment. We got massages, ate delicious food, and had a great time getting to know the staff. It was a special treat! It has a very campy and cozy feel to it (mealtimes are set and served family style, which I love). Be aware that the mornings at Blue Osa are quiet (i.e., there is meditation time) so if you want to be chatty in the a.m., grab a cup of coffee, head to the beach and talk to the fish! Or, use the meditation time to meditate and reflect on the beauty there, which is an ideal spot to soak it all in.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Manhattan, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This was my 1st stay at Blue Osa. The property is right on the beach on lush landscaped grounds. The design of the buildings and pool is very zen-like and blends perfectly with the surroundings. The staff couldn't have been more welcoming and accommodating. I mentioned casually to another guest that I wish my room had a little more ventilation and soon after discovered a large floor-stand fan in my room and another smaller fan on my nigh stand! The food is amazing! Marie, the cook had an array of completely different dishes prepared every day. I had heard she never cooks the same thing twice! I had a couple of massages by Jesus and an acupuncture session from Koji - both wonderful! Thank you Aaron, Paul, Michael, Marie and the rest of the staff... hope to see you again soon!

Room Tip: If you have the bucks get the penthouse (at canopy level)!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Blue Osa is located in a very private setting with a nice beach and plush grounds. The staff is excellent and they do a great job keeping the place clean.

I was expecting something different as they call it a resort. It does not have amenities that you would expect a traditional resort to have. I applaud that they are eco-friendly but there is a price to pay for that. For instance, no air conditioning. The ceiling fan is on a timer so you have to continually get up at night to turn it back on. They ask you (many times) to not flush the toilet paper. This I understand however, they should empty the trash more than once/day for the odor.

I also felt they were "nickel and diming" us. If you get there before 4PM you will be charged for lunch even though there is nowhere else to eat. They don't include that meal in your price. They also charge for yoga mats which I find ridiculous. They should just include that in the total price if you are there for a yoga retreat.

The food is exceptional however, there isn't always enough of it. For breakfast they serve fruit and granola. Although both are delicious, I'm still hungry. Many of the snacks were light as well. So bring some nutritional bars or nuts to hold you over.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
blueosa, Owner at Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Hi DG,

Thank you so much for your comments to us. We always make a point of letting our staff know any positive reviews that come to Blue Osa, and that the hard work they do to make Blue Osa happen is appreciated and valued. I am also happy to hear you enjoyed the food and will make sure Marie knows. She takes such great care and pride in how the guests are taken care of in the dining room.

I am so sorry that Blue Osa did not meet your expectation and I am grateful that we have an opportunity to clarify a few missing details in this review.  Reviews really help Blue Osa to get our message across and help people to prepare for the journey us.

I would like to address a couple of the factual comments you made.

1.  Even though we are referred to as a resort, in true definition, while we are seemingly a resort, we are actually a yoga retreat.  We are not Club Med, or a cruise line with an all service buffet and amenities.  The magic of Blue Osa, as you may have found, comes through in the simplicity of what we offer.  We have found that our guests come to us because we have great environmental practices and while we do not preach to our guests a specific way of being, we definitely encourage a practice of learning and mindfulness.

2. The fans are on a timer for one hour in the rooms.  The ceiling fans draw an enormous amount of power from our battery banks which are charged by the sun during the day.  If all the fans were left on during the night, our battery banks would be drained before the morning.   We do provide bed fans which are small, very eco friendly, and very powerful.  Typically, most guests leave their bed fans on a low setting in the night and have to turn them off because the temperature drops about 10 degrees.

3. We are currently working on putting some more information on our website about the costs of running an eco retreat.  But to give you an idea, we currently just replaced our battery bank which cost us $30,000.   Although this is changing, it is not cheap to be environmentally aware due to the lack of infrastructure.  But it is the commitment of Blue Osa to do its part, and the guests who come to Blue Osa are contributing in showing up. So we thank you for showing up.

4.  We have down our best to indicate very clearly on our website, welcome package, frequently asked questions, and here on Trip Advisor that we do NOT provide air conditioning and clearly this was not communicated to you. If you could let us know how we could improve in how we impart information, please let us know because it is so important for us to have happy and taken care of guests when they come to Blue Osa.

5. We do charge for the use of a yoga mat. Guests have the option of bringing one, or renting a thick yoga mat while they are at Blue Osa.  While this may seem outrageous to many, the costs of shipping these mats and providing these services are enormous.  You made a great suggestion of just adding it to the price of staying at Blue Osa.  We would like to keep our prices as low as possible, and then allow people to choose what they would like to take advantage of from our services when they arrive.

6. Our check in time is at 2 PM and our check out time is at 10 PM.  As we include meals in the cost of staying with us, we do charge for lunch if someone would like to come early on the day of check-in, or stay later on the day of check-out.

7.  One of the biggest comments we receive from our guests is how much food there is.  I believe you stayed at Blue Osa during a yoga retreat in which we served four meals a day. Two heaver meals and two lighter meals.  While we typically serve buffet style meals to allow people to choose from the options provided, we are not an all you can eat service.  Having said that, if you had indicated your "hunger" to us, we would have been more than happy to do our best to accommodate you.

8.  We do ask our guests to throw the toilet paper in the trash bins, and on a point of interest, this is a practice you typically do throughout latin america and asia. Our system is very sensitive to toilet paper and can cause no end of problems.  The toilet paper trash bins have a lid, and are emptied every morning when we service the rooms.  We are happy to empty it more often upon request.

We do our best to be up-front as possible on our website about what to expect when booking with us.   I wish we could have done better for you.

Blessings
Yogi Aaron
Owner and Yoga Director of Blue Osa
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I had no previous experience with Costa Rica, so I was a virgin to the hospitable culture as well as to The Blue Osa Yoga Retreat. I was with my partner attending a yoga retreat and as you might imagine from the website, it's a perfect place for such an event. The group was great, the room was beautiful and an excellent beach - practically private. Truly one of my best vacations ever. I've always been a fan of the Big Island, but traveling from the East coast - it's just too long of a journey for a week. Costa Rica was a short 4 hour flight to San Jose from Charlotte, NC and then a small plane connection to the Osa Peninsula. Better to arrive a day before your retreat for an overnight in San Jose. Not much to see or do in San Jose, but it makes for an easier trip. I preferred Nature Air for the local flight even though it's at a different airport. Less restrictions on luggage weight and the taxi trip is about 25 minutes from almost anywhere in San Jose.

The food and staff are equally as fantastic. It's was Valentines Day during our visit and the staff made our room especially beautiful as a surprise for my partner. Very sweet!

I feel like I will visit The Blue Osa many times in the future. I personally think that visiting a place as remote as The Blue Osa, it's best done as a group retreat. However, I spend a lot of time alone (too much) and I loved the group energy. That's just a personal preference.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Truckee, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Blue Osa is on a beach in the southeast of the Osa Peninsula. One morning I counted 18 scarlet macaws flying overhead in a 1.5 hour period. There are a gazillion green parrots, and seemingly 10 x as many howler monkeys who make a cacophony of noise, but are actually really cute black monkeys. Sitting by the lap pool after swimming I looked up and realized there were 4 Toucans in the tree above me. Yet, what makes Blue Osa an amazing place, are the people who work there. Aaron, the co-owner, has done an amazing job in attracting exceptionally kind and efficient people. Paul is bursting with personality and humor. Michael, the young administrator, is quite simply the most helpful and kind administrator I have ever encountered. He ran the Blue Osa flawlessly when Aaron was away for a few days. Marie, the French chef, is phenomenal, as are her assistant chefs. Every meal is a treat. Nago, the taxi driver, has a wealth of information about the environment and the locale, if you speak Spanish. And don't forget Jesus, a masseuse from a family of traditional healers and medical doctors, who is so in tune with the body that he finds things that others have missed and helps to resolve them. Most importantly, Blue Osa is an ideal place for quiet, reflection and yoga. David Moreno's yoga retreat was masterful. And the surfing was fun, too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We've just returned from a week long yoga retreat held at the Blue Osa. To get there, you have to take a puddle jumper from San Jose, which was no problem on Air Sansa - about a 40 minute flight to Puerto Jiminez (the "airport" is right next to the local cemetery), then a 30 minute drive on a dirt road. (By the way, Puerto Jiminez is itself cool, and if you have time you should walk to the beach on the other side of the air strip.) Blue Osa is a really beautiful property, with an expansive lawn leading to a very nice beach. This is definitely an "eco" lodge, so no television, no telephones, limited hot water, and you put your used toilet paper in a trash can, not in the toilet. There was pretty solid wi fi available, with only occasional interruptions. The beach is swimmable, and we had no surf to speak of. The food was excellent (Marie is the french head chef). It is mostly vegetarian, but they did serve chicken and fish on some evenings. This is not a place for a bar scene, but you could get a cold beer, a glass of wine or the evening "specialty" cocktail. They do a thing at dinner where once the food is put out, a dinner bell rings, and people gather around the food table. Then, Aaron (the manager) makes some announcements about the next day's "activities" (such as surfing, hiking, zip lining, horseback riding, etc, and encourages sign ups for massage and acupuncture), and then each dish is described. (Yes, you have to be patient.) We were never hungry, per se, but some food dishes ran out from time to time, which I think causes people unnecessarily to rush to get in line. There are a number of dogs on the property - they are very cool dogs, who follow you down to the beach and are really mellow, and hang out with you. There are also a couple of resident cats, and one kitten who took over the yoga studio and was very entertaining. Aside from yoga, the highlight activities for us included surfing (we went to surf school down the road at pollo surfing school), and we also took bikes from the lodge way down the beach to another lodge called Iguana Lodge (really yummy beer on tap there). Two of the dogs accompanied us the whole way. All beach toys cost extra, by the way. But you don't need to pack a beach towel, because they had them at the resort. I don't know if every yoga retreat was like this, but our schedule was: 6 a.m. - breathing / mediation; 7 a.m. - light snack; 7:30 a.m. - 2 + hours of yoga (really great studio); 10:30 a.m. bell rings for "brunch;" free time; 2 p.m. really light snack; 4:30 p.m. - yoga; 6:30 p.m. - dinner. This is a wonderful spot, with howler monkeys and myriad birds making wonderful noises. We hope to return. Thanks Aaron and staff. -Art

Room Tip: We had the penthouse, which was quite a bit more expensive, and frankly, I'm not sure it's w...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ajax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Blue Osa, simply put, is paradise. This year I was fortunate enough to return to Blue Osa for a second time. The beauty of the property, the kindness of the staff and the incredible food are just a few of the reasons you must visit this place at least once in your lifetime, and then I guarantee you will want to return again.
My intention in returning to Blue Osa was to find a sense of ease and peace and I was able to fall into the natural organic rythm of harmony very quickly once I arrived. The property is stunning and is the perfect place to relax and soak in the beauty of the natural surroundings. The spa facility is also incredible. You MUST have a massage from Jesus, he is very intuitive and will know exactly what you need.
The food is amazing with Marie in the kitchen and lovely fresh foods. As a vegetarian I was very well-fed and the way the food is prepared and presented with love helps you to remember to be grateful for everything the earth provides.
The staff are beyond words. Everyone is so accepting, compassionate and kind that they make you feel welcome as soon as you arrive and for the duration of your stay. I was greeted by "welcome home" and I cannot wait to go back. Thank you Aaron, Marie, Paul, Michael and everyone at Blue Osa for an amazing week. Much love...

Room Tip: The rooms under the yoga deck are amazing. I would also recommend the tree-climbing and waterfall r...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!