“Paradise in Costa Rica” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Paradise in Costa Rica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I spent a week in heaven at Blue Osa with my daughter. It was a magical and memorable trip. Aaron, Michael, and Paul were our hosts for the week. From the moment we arrived until our final goodbyes we were graciously taken care of. Marie's food was prepared with such love that every morsel fed the soul as well as the body. I'm still dreaming about her black beans with chocolate....I had several spa treatments from both Jesus and Marcela and I can't wait to come back for more. I felt like I had gone to heaven when I had the Watsu massage with Jesus.

Every morning I got up to see the spectacular sunrise and then swim in the ocean. Then morning coffee and fruit on the veranda before going for yoga in the studio overlooking the ocean. I could have easily spent the week on the Blue Osa grounds but my daughter and I also took several side trips from ziplining through the canopy, to climbing a giant strangler tree and jumping out via tarzan style to rappelling down a 200 ft waterfall.

A highlight was Wednesday night when Aaron brought several of the local vendors and tradespeople in for a farmer's market on the property. Marisio, the local music man and puppetter brought puppets of the animals of the rainforest and played music for us while we ate. After dinner we all danced and sang.

Caitlin, my daughter and I can't wait to return. Thank you Blue Osa family for taking such good care of us. We will be back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I had talked about taking a trip to Costa Rica for a few years. We saw a Groupon offer for Blue Osa which immediately caught our eye. We went on tripadvisor and read all the outstanding reviews and were intrigued. Our Groupon included 4 nights, our flight from San Jose-Pavas to Puerto Jimenez, all three meals, a bike & hike and 2 spa treatments. We had some problem planning the trip during the Groupon time frame. I reached out to Aaron who was beyond helpful and accommodating. He allowed us to pay an upgrade and chose a week that worked for us.

Aaron's accommodating prior to our trip was the first of many throughout our experience. The staff is beyond helpful and friendly. Marie is an AMAZING chef and a wonderful lady. Every meal we had was delicious. Paul is a character and daily happy hour with his " cocktail of the day" quickly became a highlight during our stay. Other characters not to be looked over are the 4 Blue Osa dogs! Those dogs live the LIFE! Really fun to bring to the beach with you for a swim.

The property is well maintained, tranquil and beautiful. The main area where all the meals are is very relaxing and a nice place to read or talk to other guests. My boyfriend and I walked down to the beach every day and no matter the time, always seemed to be the only people on the beach (well except for the 4 dogs). It's amazing to have this beautiful uninhabited beach right outside Blue Osa.

There was a yoga retreat there the same time as us so they had regularly scheduled yoga classes. I dropped in on one of the classes that Aaron guest taught which was amazing! He's a great instructor-really focusing on not just doing the positions but doing them correctly. I learned a lot about realignment from him.

We took advantage of the bike and hike that was included in our package. The bikes could use a little updating especially since the road is so bumpy, but it was a nice experience and got to see a waterfall tucked away in Matapalo. We also did a 3 hour kayak tour through the mangroves which was nice and relaxing. It's an easy paddle and you'll see a lot of different animals and take a break on a nice deserted beach.

One of our favorite actives was he Finca Kobo Chocolate Tour. Alex, who owns and operates the property is an awesome guy. He taught us all about different fruits that they grow on the property (and let us taste!) and the entire process of creating chocolate from the cocao plant, to extracting the beans and then grinding them into chocolate. The chocolate fondue and fresh fruit at the end was a great end to the experience!

We've never stayed at a resort like Blue Osa before and were happy we did! It's a totally unique experience and I would highly recommend it especially for other tight-wound New Yorkers.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
East Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Last year I spent a wonderful week at Blue Osa and I just returned from another week long visit. The Blue Osa experience is so unique and the hosts and the staff are so wonderful - they are relaxed, gracious, friendly and amazingly good at what they do. Marie's cooking is almost too good to be true - the food is beautiful and delicious. She obviously loves what she does and it shows in the food as well as the atmosphere in her kitchen. The rooms and grounds are impeccably maintained and the beautiful beach is just icing on the cake. And last but not least, the guests this place attracts seem to always just be wonderful, friendly folks.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I had the most memorable experience here at Blue Osa.
From the yoga, to the food, the beach that was untouched, the adventures, massage ( dont miss this),making friends, and all the nature.
Paul you made our trip with your outgoing personality and amazing personal yoga class.
We joined for 2 days a yoga retreat that made us feel healthy body and mind.
We left feeling stupedious!
We will be back ...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Brighton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

My daughters and I stayed at Blue Osa experienced a beautiful week of yoga. Meeting Aaron who is an amazing gracious host and Paul. Oh most appreciation meals prepared from an artist talented French chef Marie. 'Our rooms were great and grounds were amazing with the ocean view and walking the peaceful beach surrounded by a place that is unique, friendly, warm, and so much fun.-

Room Tip: All the rooms are inviting and great
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My 20 year old son and I recently spent a week at Blue Osa where we were completely charmed by every aspect of our stay. From our cabina to the lap pool, the ocean to Marie's divine cuisine, the great staff to the great company of the guests, we felt as if we had walked into a place where everything was right with the world. The pure beauty of the grounds, the scarlet macaws flying overhead, the monkeys at the edge of the forest all conspired to lull us into a dream of paradie. As a longtime yoga practictioner I found my heart widening with gratitude at being able to practice in such a beautiful and healing environment and Paul, who was both our host and yoga instructor that week, was amazing on both ends: skilled, friendly, funny, kind. Bodywork by Jesus was magnificent. I would return to Blue Osa just to have more time with him!!! There is so much about Blue Osa I wish I could have packed up and brought home with me!

Room Tip: the howler monkey can effect your sleep quality. not much you can do about them, they are part of th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Blue Osa exceeded our expectations in every way. From the warmth and humor of the hosts (Aaron and Paul) and all the staff, the quality and compfort of our room, and the amazingly delicious and beautifully presented food (Thank you Marie).
We went for a yoga retreat and were so very fortunate to have guided sessions, which were accesible to any ability level, with outstanding, caring teachers.
Our room looked onto lush tropical gardens, very private, with the sounds of the ocean and nature. Absolutely awesome.
And you really do not have to leave Blue Osa, there is so much to enjoy there. From swimming in the ocean or pool, taking long walks and hikes, viewing wildlife (we saw many monkeys, parrots, and birds), kayaking, surfing, to simply relaxing, unwinding, and lounging. They have heavenly massages and facials also.
If you do go on any tours, make sure to go to the Animal Sanctuary which includes a boat trip through waters where we saw dozens of dolphins swimming and playing, It was a magical excursion.
This is an exquisite yet informal resort, with terrific people who really care about the guests and their surroundings. We can not recommend Blue Osa highly enough. We hope to return again soon.
- RJ and Paula

Room Tip: We stayed below the yoga studio and it was an excellent room. We heard from other guests who stayed...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
blueosa, Owner at Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
To our new extended Blue Osa Family,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a well thought out and detailed review. Knowing from our conversations that Blue Osa was one place you have chosen to come to on your world tour, we feel very blessed to have you stop by along the way.

One of the hardest things to do is to exceed people's expectations let alone meet them. It gives as great pleasure to see our guests melt into all that Blue Osa has to offer. We really invite all of our guests to just sit back and open their hearts to take it all in, and that was clearly something you guys came to Blue Osa with. Thank you for sharing all.

Have a great time on the next step and we look forward to seeing you again.

Blessings
Yogi Aaron

Been to Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!