“Blue Osa Unforgettable!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 16 hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Terre Haute, Indiana
“Blue Osa Unforgettable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We spent 6 nights (June 28-July 4 2012) at Blue Osa using a Groupon promotion. It was a trip of a lifetime. First off, my fiance proposed to me the 1st morning we woke up there to a beautiful sunrise on the beach. I have wanted to visit Costa Rica for years and this exceeded my expectations. At Blue Osa we enjoyed several of the activities and tours available. The staff was wonderful and friendly. There was a yoga retreat for instructors the week we were there and they allowed me and my fiance to join in their sessions. The massages were great, we were with young woman whose name has slipped my mind. We went on the Corcovado day trip (saw amazing wildlife), on the Rainforest Bike and Hike (saw more amazing wildlife and a small waterfall that flows into a nice sized pool), and we also did the Waterfall Rapelling. The Waterfall rapelling was awesome!!! The weather was hot but the rain in the late afternoon or evenings cooled it off for bedtime.
There isn't even a strong enough word for how great the food is at Blue Osa! The food is fresh, delicious and unique. Maria and her staff were great. Since we all eat together, we ate with Yoga group and some had restrictions in their diets so we all ate the restricted diets but it didn't stop them from delivering the same quality meals.
It was a wonderful trip where we were able to relax in a peaceful atmosphere in the middle of a jungle with a beach and without all the chaos and technology that distracts us in our normal routines.
The only thing that I would say is not to go in with super high expectations on the rooms. The rooms were nice enough, but remember you are in the middle of the jungle and it is hot and there is no air conditioning. It is more of a camping type feel but that is part of the unique experience.

234 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

Blue Osa is beautiful, the food tasted wonderful, everyone who works there is so helpful and knowledgable, and the yoga and messages were very relaxing. I showed up a stressed out, anxious creature and left as a new woman, relaxed and finally at peace with myself.

This was a great place to be part of nature, yet still have wonderful facilities and amenities within reach. A very safe location, with all sorts of fun activities and tours to do, or just relax and let your mind finally wander into pure happiness.

I will definitely be returning!

• Stayed August 2012
san jose
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We spent 4 nights at Blue Osa using a Groupon promotion. It was fun, friendly and relaxing...there are activities/tours available or you can just veg....great massage by Jesus, excellent food at every meal, informative and helpful guides. Flights across the country were fine. People in general in Costa Rica were great. Points of note: because of the heat/humidity, activities at Blue Osa can start early (yes, like 5:30 a.m.) and once the sun goes down (which happens fast at the equator), people generally go to bed. No blow dryers and short showers, which was fine since you're generally drenched anyway and so is everyone else. Lovely lap pool. Everyone gets to know everyone else since you're eating 3 meals a day together. If you need something going on all the time, or need shopping or nightlife on a vacation, this might not be a good fit. If you need to recharge and get close to nature in a fairly luxurious setting, this is a lovely spot.

San Jose, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

This was the perfect end of a very enjoyable exploration of Costa Rica. Blue Ossa is remote, beautiful, and very rejuvenating. The staff is wonderful and engaging without being obsequious. It felt more like a loose “family” than a “resort”. The food was delicious, and the deep tissue massage was the best I have ever had! In addition to the tranquility, there are tours (hikes, walks, kayaking, etc.) into the jungle and on the bay that add the right touch of interest and excitement. I particularly recommend the “Bike and Hike” to the waterfalls, where you can find many animals, including poisonous frogs, four types of monkeys, countless types of birds, and many other animals large and small. The cool swim at the base of a delightful waterfall was very fun and refreshing on a hot day and one of the many highlights of the day! The in-house tour guide was very friendly and knowledgeable. Another real pleasure is talking with Marie about cooking, or discussing her history and experiences on the Ossa peninsula. One last thing not to be missed: There is a nearby local outdoor restaurant/bar that on Friday nights throws an energetic “party” with music, good drinks, and food. It is THE event for the local singles and families, and for those tourists that have the good fortune to hear about it! -- Pura Vida

Room Tip: The Penthouse room was enormous and very pleasant, but really, we stayed outside on the grounds for...
Kingman AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We were part of a Groupon excursion to Blue Osa for April 6-13 2012. Getting there was extremely easy from San Jose, and the first thing they did was feed us a magnificent meal, so for that alone we would love them. I mean, my husband ate squash during this trip, because Chef Marie is such a wonderful cook. A twenty-one year first!

The room was just as pictured on the website, very pleasant in beautiful blues. Because your windows are open all the time (only fans, no AC), you can hear everything that goes on, and I mean everything. Quiet time is from approx. 9pm to 7:30 am but still, gardeners are walking around early, and whatever new arrivals they have don't figure out quiet time until day two or so (I didn't). Early noise doesn't matter though because you awake at sunrise to the glorious sounds of the ocean just a few steps from your door. The sound is really unique here, because there are a bunch of rocks that are moved all the time by the waves, reconfiguring the beach daily. They add a gentle clacking to the wave sounds that is very soothing. While we were there, basically everyone was on the beach at sunrise, but everyone had their own little section, which wasn't hard because the beach is a mile or so long.

As mentioned before, the food is wonderful - we spent much time wondering what Marie would serve for the next meal - and social life sort of revolves around the outdoor lounge area. Because our room faced the lounge area, this was a problem for afternoon naps because the windows were open so we were privy to every conversation, but it wasn't so annoying that I asked to be moved. Besides, I wouldn't have given up the view from the rockers (manufactured for Blue Osa and very comfortable! good job, Aaron) for anything. We spent a lot of time reading out there.

The negatives were not truly negative: 1, we had no hot water during the stay even though we asked twice (Michael and Aaron, several days apart) and the water had a distinct iron smell that I disliked more than my husband, but it didn't stay on your skin. It was so warm that we didn't really care about hot water anyway. 2, The bar area got so crowded so fast at 6pm that one couldn't get through to order one's own drink, and people didn't seem to understand that they were in the way (can you tell I am not a people person?), but once Michael fixed that drink, you didn't care. 3, you were really AT the resort - any trip to town or to another destination cost mucho dinero, but hey, we chose an eco lodge in an isolated spot, so it wasn't unexpected - they publish the fares on the site. And 4, no ice. It is an eco lodge, but I am an ice-chewing addict, so I bought an iced drink at night just for the ice. But be prepared for lukewarm liquids with meals unless you buy a soft drink, and even then, no ice, just cold. Travel tip - when you are anywhere in the world and need an ice fix, go to a local Hard Rock Cafe, they'll fix you right up! None in Puerto Jimenez, though...yet ;-)

I would highly recommend a stay at Blue Osa. The staff are kind and caring, and the dogs are amazing (didn't interact much with the cats). And oh yes, the two opportunistic cane toads Homer and Fred that sat under our room light nightly waiting for insects were a pure bonus for entertainment! They also supervised one of my exercise sessions at the pool. And how could I leave out Jesus's massage and facial? Please make Jesus a part of your experience, you won't be disappointed. I had the 3-hour treatment and it was one of the best in a life of hitting spas from the Eqypt to Bali.

Thanks for a great experience, Aaron and Michael and Marie and Jesus and staff!

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the lounge area are likely to be quieter, but you couldn't beat the view from t...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Our Stay: We are two friends, who stayed for four nights on a Groupon certificate. We did not come with a Yoga retreat, nor did we come during prime season.

Location:
Getting to Blue Osa was where our adventure started. Looking for flights from the states ended up being more expensive than we would have liked, because when we initially priced the flights we didn't realize the time constraints placed on us because of the trip to Puerto Jiminez. To get to PJ, you must
1. arrive in San Jose amd take a taxi (about 30 minutes) to a regional airport.
2. Here, you will take an hour long flight (on the tiniest plane you've ever seen, no less) to get to Puerto Jiminez.
3. One of the two drivers, both of whom are extremely nice and helpful, will pick you up and the drive is 25-35 minutes on bumpy gravel roads.
MAKE NOTE: flights from San Jose to Puerto Jiminez don't leave any later than 12 during the off season so it's important that you know you will either have to stay overnight, or take an overnight flight (we took Frontier, which was a terrible mess in and of itself). Also, if you have not booked a groupon, there will be a significant charge for the flight and for transport on on both legs of your journey.

Environment: Blue Osa is an incredibly relaxing retreat. There is wildlife everywhere, the beach is just off the back lawn, and there are plenty of nooks to read and relax in. This is not a place that you go for nightlife (even trying to buy a beer or two seemed difficult at times) or a place where you stay fresh, clean and pampered all day. You need to be an outdorsey type with a sense of adventure! With that in mind, the rooms are lovely. My friend and I have stayed in many cabins and campgrounds and to us, this was luxury at its finest. Yes, there are bugs around (you are right in the middle of the rainforest, silly!) and the lack of AC was troubling at times. When I came home my bag smelled awful! But that was part of the fun. You could hear the rain pattering, the birds chirping, and feel the world waking up around you. The two beds were large with with four pillows each! Four! We slept soundly every night. Note that getting anywhere will cost you a cab fare, that includes getting to the excursions (expect an extra $40 to any excursion for transport). But these rides are great times to scope out the different areas and the drivers are always willing to stop for photos or birdwatching. You need to plan to spend money on excursions, because otherwise there's only the beach and you might get stir crazy after awhile.

Food: Food here was incredible. Three meals a day, non stop coffee (from 5:30 through the afternoon) and all kinds of different foods. I felt that I ate very healthy but was still super full every night. The kitchen staff is great and extremely helpful. It was great to not have to think about food for the whole trip - just wait for the meal bell!

Excursions: I did the waterfall rappel and the chocolate tour. The rapelling was wonderful and our guide was fantastic! You get to see a beach that's totally different than the one at Blue Osa so I'd definitely recommend it. The chocolate tour was nice too, especially because it is on the other side of town and you get to see some interesting towns as you drive by. My friend did the kayak and said it was wonderful. One thing to note: You need to push Aaron if you want to be sure to get all your tours. He's pretty laid back about "oh, you can just go with them on this other thing" or "there's lots to do here, just walk on the beach!" and isn't your typical hotel concierge. So if you want to do something, make sure that it's available (some tours aren't offered on some days). I missed the kayak tour for just this reason, and on our last day we didn't really have any options of things we could do because we didn't plan for it. Going with others from the hotel is a lot of fun and makes your excursions cheaper, as well.

All-in-all, a lovely place for anyone who likes the balance between athletic & nature-driven challenges as well as rest and peaceful relaxation! Be prepared to be sticky, and smelly, and worn out in the best way possible when you return home!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

I am in severe withdrawal today having returned yesterday from an amazing week in the paradise of Blue Osa. The food (thank you Marie for the best meals!) the surroundings, the quiet and the awesome nature on all sides. There was no fresh brewed coffee at 5:30 this morning or the very welcome sound of the breakfast bell. I'm ready to go back!

Aaron and his staff do everything that they can to make their guests feel like family- and it works. A special thank you to Marcela for the best massages I have ever had. She had her work cut out for her this week as Jesus was on vacation. She had a full schedule because many of us chose to come back for more! It is amazing that this delicate wisp of a woman can have such strong and talented hands. You are one of the natural treasures of Costa Rica.

Highly recommended: waterfall rappelling! And this is from a retiree who never thought she would, or could, make her way down a 100' drop. Unbelievable. The guides were professional and fun and kept all of us safe....and our group was a bit of mix of skills and fear levels to say the least.

And then there is just the beauty of sitting....and listening...and watching. No better way to vacation.

One caveat: the yoga retreat part is really a DIY piece if there is not a full-out retreat in residence. You will pay to rent a mat, but the space is beautiful and the props are plentiful. Well worth taking the time, especially in the silence of early morning.

To Aaron, Marie, Michael, Marcella and all of the other wonderful staff ....thank you thank you. I hope to be able to do this again!

Stayed July 2012

Been to Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!