“Absolutely Wonderful Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Punta Marenco Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Corcovado National Park
Punta Marenco Lodge
Corcovado National Park, Costa Rica   |
California
“Absolutely Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2008

This is one of the most beautiful and fun places I've ever been. The staff/owners were so friendly and courteous. The food was excellent and served family style with other guests who were very nice. (This was a few years ago, but I just joined Trip Advisor and wanted to comment.)

The trip to Punta Marenco Lodge was half the fun. We flew from San Jose to a tiny, dirt and pebble runway carved into the jungle. It was scary but fun. Doing it again, I might try to book a twin enging plane instead of the single engine - but it was a blast. Then came the exhilarating boat ride across Drake Bay into the river (Sierpe?). Getting there was half the fun!

We went as a group of 5 in February and it was perfect. Plan on waking early unless you can sleep through the sound of howler monkeys. :-) Hikes were great (we arranged for a guide the whole time - he was fantastic). We saw tons of macaws, howler and white faced monkeys, a huge boa constricter, a pit viper, a 3 toed sloth, and more.

The only let down our snorkeling experience at Cano (I think) Island. The trip was great and the island beautiful, but our guide was not trained/experienced for snorkeling. He took us into some pretty rough water/waves that could have been dangerous for some. Just make sure if you have a guide -they are 'water people' and know where and when to go (or if the waves pick up to cancel it).

The huts at the lodge were very nice. Obviously, no hot water and no electricity after 10 (as I recall), but it didn't bother our group. WIth the mesquito netting, I didn't get one bug bit the entire time there (4 nights). Relaxing on the hammock with panoramic ocean views and watching maccaws fly up to the tree in front was quite memerable.

• Liked — Safe, friendly people, great location
  • Disliked — No hot water for shower
  • Stayed February 2005, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

127 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
oakland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

This was one of the best vacations I have ever had. I highly recommend this lodge to anyone who wants to experience the Osa peninsula. This lodge is remote, but the staff go out of their way to make this an enjoyable experience for all. I would recommend this lodge to anyone who wants a nice,quiet experience with a bit of adventure added in. Be aware that this is a secluded place and all of the usual hotel amenities may not be available to you. You should come prepared for the humid temperature and the rugged terrain. If you want a pampered Club Med experience, this is not for you. If you want to see the natural beauty of the Osa Peninsula and experience the wild with an experienced guide (Jorge is wonderful!), this is for you. The food was better than expected. I loved the Pinto gallo, and the plaintains! I've been looking for recipes on the web since I returned.
Please consider this lodge if your travels find you in the Osa Peninisula. I will return many times!!!! Thank you wonderful staff! I'll remember this experience forever.

JOJO from California
03/30/08

• Liked — The beautiful location
  • Disliked — the peole who were ther who were not prepared for the adventure and remoteness of the lodge.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Hempens
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

This was our first impression of Costa Rica.

Its was a wunderfull time, we came from Holland and Punta Marenco was our first stay.
We had a room with ocean viewm, splendid.

The food was basis but good and well organised.
The owner of the lodge gave us a refund without asking.
The tour to Corcovado was not possible on our first day, so the second day we dit this tour. The snorklingtrip was cancelld, therfore the refund.

The surrounding of the property is splendid, it is only very dark outside whne you go to the restaurant in the evening.

Leo van Strateb

• Liked — the splenid view
  • Disliked — nothin gspecial
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2008

My wife and I had a wonderful time exploring the Osa Peninsula at the Punta Marenco Lodge. Our bungalow was breezy, clean and comfortable with a deck with hammock and view overlooking the ocean and Cano Island to the west (sunsets were gorgeous!). Meals and hospitality were excellent. Especially helpful in organizing our activities and tours was Ileana, the owner, who got us a very knowledgeable and keen naturalist guide to show us the amazing wildlife and plants in Corcovado NP. We are very grateful to her and her lodge for making our visit to the Osa so nice.

Stayed March 2008
nordia, israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2008

i wanted to tell you about my trip to the most amazing place on earth that me and my family ever saw.
when we saw the pictures at the travel agency, we decided immediately that we need to visit this place.
one of the things wich is very special about this place is the way to go there, you need to take a boat wich is taking you in a nice river that leads you out to the pacific ocean.
when we arrived to punta marenco beach, the staff welcome us in a really nice way and took all our gear to the lodge.
when we saw the lodge we where so amazed from the way the cabins built, its built in an indian style and look so amazing on the backround of the pacific ocean.
in the moment we arrived ileana the owner of the lodge(a beutiful person) show us the place.
after we saw the place, lunch was ready and the food in the beutiful lodge restaurant with a view to the ocean was a delicious tipical costarican food.
i most say that the combination between a beutiful,comfortable cabin and a nice crew that take care of everything you need was just perfect.
one of the best feeling we had was to wake up in the morninig to the sound of a beutiful birds ,and the sounds of the ocean and drinking the coffe of the morninig in the porch while dolphins jumping in the ocean in front of you.
after a week there it was really hard to leave this place, but we all knew that we defintly comming back and soon as possible.
pura vida

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the lodge for three nights. The location is gorgeous, with ocean views and wonderful nature all around. Ileana and the staff of the lodge were very, very caring, helpful and friendly. We certainly enjoyed the plants and animals, many of which we had never seen in the wild before. The Macaws were especially spectacular. The tour of Corcovado National Park was most interesting, with a knowledgeable and friendly guide. The other visitors were real friendly. Also, the food was very good, with plenty of it.

• Liked — location, view
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2008

Punta Marenco possesses many good qualities, but unfortunately, in the end, the bad issues ruined the overall experience.
Good Things:
1. Quaint setting with beautiful views (location, location, location).
2. Everyone was VERY nice.
3. Tours and lunches, if you made it on them, were decent.
Bad Things:
EXTREMELY DISORGANIZED TOURS!!!!!
It will be easiest just to tell you of my experience. Due to the time my international flight was to arrive, I had to take the afternoon flight into Drake Bay. If you research the Punta Marenco website, you know this is the more complicated way to arrive, with plane, multiple car switchoffs (driving through VERY large rivers), and a boat trip. Obviously, I was nervous about being left in the middle of nowhere with a taxi or boat that wouldn't show up as scheduled. My fears were quickly alleviated, as the gentleman at Drake Bay immediately informed us our taxi was on the way and arrived, as scheduled, in 10 minutes. As one taxi finished the first leg, another was already there waiting for us. After the second leg ended at the beach, our boat was also already there waiting for us. The trip TO Punta Marenco was completed without a single hitch. Once arriving, we were shown to our cabin and directed to the restaurant once settled in. At the restaurant, they immediately made us sandwiches to hold us over until dinner and greeted us with information as to our tour schedule. Our first night was perfect, I was SO thrilled with how everything was handled and was relieved to know I had been worrying without cause. My oppinion changed the next morning. We were scheduled to go on a hiking tour of Corcovado Nat'l Park, which included a short boatride to get to the entrance. The lodge scheduled a boat, which held a maximum of 12 people. The tour party included 18 (which also didn't include the guide or the two boat operators.) As a result, we sat around on the beach for over two hours, waiting for them to figure out what to do. In the end, some people graciously backed out of the tour so not everyone's day was a complete waste. (I highly doubt they got a refund.) Needless to say...mistakes happen and I figured it was a one time thing....NOT SO. The NEXT day...we were scheduled to go on a tour of Cano Island. We arrived at the beach, and they still had not sorted out the confusion from the day before. They still had the people that got NO tour the day before, and the same large party for the Cano Island tour. Once again, they did not schedule enough boats to accomodate all people. We, once again, sat around on the beach for almost two hours watching the day waste away...waiting for the boat issue to be resolved. The tour itself was ok...but the snorkeling was rushed due to our late start. (Of note...the walk to the indian burial ground was very long for the end result, most people on our tour were dissapointed and would have liked to spend more time snorkeling.) Once again...the staff was extremely apologetic etc etc. The NEXT day....we were scheduled for a half day tour of the Punta Marenco Wildlife Reserve before catching taxis back to our late afternoon flight out of Drake Bay. Twenty minutes before we were supposed to start our hike, we were informed that the roads were bad and the boat would have to pick us up and 9am, not the initially sheduled 1130am. We would not be able to go on the tour. Understanding the road situation, we were agreeable and dutifully packed up our stuff and headed down to the beach for our taxi ride out. We spent slightly over 2 1/2 hours sitting on that beach waiting for our boat. All the while, visitors staying at the Punta Marenco Hotel (beach resort, whatever....its right near the Punta Marenco Lodge) came and left on their appointed boat taxis to reach their final destination. I counted FIVE boats come and go to take people to their appointed airport...not us. Our boat, finally showed up at...yes...you guessed it....11:30am. (Right AFTER we saw the tour group come back from the tour we were told we didn't have time to go on.) Completely WASTED day....I was beyond mad at this point. And THEN....just to add insult to injury...the roads were better than when we arrived, and they had us sitting at the Drake Bay airport 3 1/2 hours early!!! If you have ever been to Drake Bay Airport...then you know its not like a regular airport where you can AT LEAST sit at the airport bar and drink away your sorrows. ALTHOUGH....they did have a bottle of cheap red wine for sale in the little airport hut, which I was completely prepared to buy and drink straight out of the bottle. Crying shame they didn't have a corkscrew.....

If your going to Punta Marenco Lodge for the location...try the Punta Marenco Resort instead. From what we saw...it was MUCH better organized...and the couple people staying there that we talked to on the beach had nothing but good things to say about it.

• Liked — Staff friendliness
  • Disliked — Disorganization
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Punta Marenco Lodge? Share your experiences!