“We did not want to leave” 5 of 5 stars

You added Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge to your Saves list
Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Osa Peninsula, Corcovado National Park, Costa Rica   |
Lincolnshire, UK
“We did not want to leave”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Casa Corcovado is incredible, It's location is astonishing. We were so sad to leave.

Very well managed by Stephen who gave us his personal welcome and was always on hand to offer help and advice when needed.

Our guide was Freddie, he looked after us so well, from the pick up, though the pre dawn hikes, the main trek, the Cano Island trip and a night walk, he was friendly, informative, and professional. On the main hike in Corcovado we were never rushed, ample time for just watching and photographing. Ever ready with his scope to pin point things for us. The swim in the waterfalls was incredible, as was the offer to swim in the sea whilst he prepared our delicious lunch at the rangers stations whilst warning us to watch out for the croc in the sea, Apparently she! has never eaten anyone yet! we declined the swim.

On the boat ride to Cano Island the hawk like eyes of the boat driver spied a sea snake and we saw dolphins pre our snorkelling.

The whole estate is magical, its delightful that it is so small and so not many guests, it was like we were the only ones there. Laying in my hammock watching toucans in the tree above my head or watching the monkeys in the tree in the garden, all incredible.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Special thanks to Steven, the manager, and our guide,Freddy, who helped make an ''incredible'' stay for our guests. We have tried to be true to our vision of offering personalized service to a limited number of guests, which I think is true ''luxury'', though not necessarily the ''five star'' kind. It is sometimes hard with our fixed costs, large staff and the expense of maintaining ''Paradise'' in the Jungle, but after many years we are still doing our best to offer a truly unique and educating ''Rainforest Experience''. Steven Lill / owner

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We spent 3 days in Casa Corcovado and everything has been perfect! This Lodge is completely immerse in unspoilt nature! The hospitality has been excellent, the personal (everybody, tractor driver, waiters, guides, housekeepers, sailor men..) very professional and collaborative. The kindness is the principal characteristic of the Lodge. The foods were of good quality. The excursions in the jungle and in the isla Cano were exclusive and allowed us to watch a lot of birds, mammalians and reptiles. We were lucky to meet a big group of dolphines in the Ocean in front isla Cano! We admired the versatility of the owner Mr Steven: he helped waiters during the service and then he was in his office ready to meet the clients! In definetly we are very satisfied by this holiday in Casa Corcovado! We are greateful to Mr Jacob, very professional and accultured guide!

Stayed March 2014
What a nice thing for these guests to say that ''KINDNESS IS THE PRINCIPAL CHARACTERISTIC OF THE LODGE.'' I have to say that I am sincerely touched by the comment and want to send a big hug from everyone at Casa Corcovado. Steven Lill / owner
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

The adventure begins with the trip to the lodge. You travel for two hours by boat, the seats in the boat have no cushions.The first thirty minutes you are on a river then you enter the Pacific ocean which is very rough and you feel every wave for the remainder of the journey. You arrive at the lodge for a wet landing. The lodge is up on a hill over looking the ocean, it is beautiful with first class accommodations. We traveled with friends and so we had adjoining bungalows. Our bungalow had a screened in porch, a living room, bedroom a four poster bed decorated with bamboo and candles, a separate bathroom and shower room. The bungalow was surrounded by a garden with a table and chairs. We were a good distance from our neighbors enabling privacy. There are two swimming pools, and a game room on the premise. You can also go down the hill to a private beach. The meals are included and are served as sit down meals. Dinners consist of four courses you have a choice of two entrees. For lunch we had a picnic on the beach, a picnic in the national park and one lunch in the lodge restaurant. For breakfast we choose from a menu and were served at the table. For activities you can request morning bird walks or evening walks. Included in the package was a a full day guided walk through Corcovado National Park. The walk was quite strenuous and unfortunately we didn't see any wildlife. The next day we went to Cano Island for some great snorkeling. The fish were beautiful, large schools just swimming with you, the beach was lovely as well. We saw some bottle nosed spotted dolphins on our boat ride back to the lodge.The service was friendly and attentive we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
It's too bad Sherri and her friends didn't see wildlife on their walk into Corcovado National Park but I hope we made up for it with some ''great'' snorkeling.I hope they have a chance to come back someday and spot some forest creatures. Steven Lill / owner
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

The bungalow rooms of Casa Corcovado are set in a beautiful garden carved out of the rain forest and it is completely surrounded by the forest but only a short distance from the sea. This is a great experience from the attentive and pleasant reception area on the river in Sierpe where you are collected for the boat ride to the hotel to the hikes in the rain forest. It is amazing what can be achieved when you are in a location with no mains electricity and everything has to be brought in by small boats landing through the surf on the beach. The food is excellent and the staff unfailing friendly and helpful. I suggested 2 areas of improvement whilst I was there: most of the waiting staff seem to lack confidence and need better training and something must be done to improve communications across the large area covered by the hotel ( because my wife had a broken foot, we were stranded at the beach for too long waiting for the tractor to take us up the steep hill to the main area because there was no way to communicate between the beach and reception). From a safety point of view the guides should also have radios to communicate with reception should there be an accident whilst they are taking groups into the rainforest or to Isla de Cano. Implementing these 2 small suggestions would complete a really execellent hotel. The manager/son of the owner,Stephen, is always very helpful and willing to whatever he can to help.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
I'm glad that these guests from England found the Hotel to be very comfortable but I am a little unhappy that he felt that there was a problem with radio communication. We do have a radio installed at the ''Boat House'' on the beach and all of our guides are supposed to carry a hand-held radio on all tours. We have always made a big effort and investment in our radio equipment. Just by chance as I write this we are waiting for our new generation of radios to arrive tomorrow [some friends are bringing them in thier luggage]. We are expecting 20 hand- held and 2 base radios which should fix any problems that we have with communications. Steven Lill / owner
Burton in Kendal, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

This was to be one of the highlights of our trip and it didn't disappoint. The boat ride to get to the lodge was fascinating, and our guide, Leo, spotted all sorts of fascinating things along the way. The sea was a little choppy on the day of our arrival, which meant that the wet arrival was a little trickier than we expected as the boat moored a little further ou, where the sea bed was stony. We both nearly lost our balance but a strong arm from the staff came to our rescue. We were all greeted individually by the manager, Steven, who was always attentive during our stay. The bungalow surpassed our expectations, with many lovely touches. Yes, the water pressure is low, but this is an isolated spot in the jungle. What do you expect.
The grounds were beautiful and full of wildlife.
We were very impressed by the quality and quantity of food. Ok, there was the odd dish that didn't quite work, but it must be really difficult to get good staff here given the isolation and Steven was clearly doing his best to train his staff accordingly.
The range of drinks was excellent, especially the cocktail list, and very reasonably priced.
Our excursions were fascinating. They have been described in other reviews so I won't repeat. The guides were lovely. Dedicated and knowledgeable.
You just have to remember where you are and any minor niggles seem insignificant. We loved it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
"Heaven on Earth'' doesn't exist but I always thought that God did an excellent job in Corcovado, I just have been helping him with some of the details like, cold beers and swimming pools. Love it when people have a great stay. Steven Lill / owner
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Yes, Casa Corcovado is very expensive on our middle class scale. But, the isolated setting on the Osa Peninsula abutting Corcovado National Park is unique considering the luxury of the resort. The staff were well informed, friendly and attentive. Manager, Steven, can and will accomplish wonders. Guide, Jacob, is intelligent, informed in lots of areas and sensitive to guest's needs and questions. The food is artistically presented in a fantastic setting but lacks freshness and quality preparation. Tours become an integrated part of the daily experience and are thoughtfully planned. We stayed 7 days and 6 nights. We especially enjoyed the international community of guests. We could have stayed longer.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
I know that sometimes Casa Corcovado can seem expensive but to produce our quality product in the middle of the jungle where there is only boat access is costly and takes a big team. We are over 40 people on the team. I'm glad Jo and his wife enjoyed their stay with us. Steven Lill / owner
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

I work in the conservation field and I first visited Casa Corcovado about 14 years ago with a friend also in the profession. Rainy season, few tourist, had place practically to ourselves. We had a great trip. So suddenly it's 2013 and I find myself again researching a trip to Costa Rica and in the position of planning a family vacation that will meet the needs of a six year old, a husband who desperately needs to decompress from a hectic job and likes luxury and myself who is all wildlife all the time forget about comforts.

So many beautiful National Parks, Private Reserves and beaches in Costa Rica. So much wildlife to see and suddenly very real concerns regarding areas being too commercial, over developed and cutting off much needed wildlife corridors necessary for the parks resident populations.

The more I read, the more I realized I was going to find myself skipping some once beautiful hot spots and returning to the Osa.

I wasn't sure how he would respond but sat my husband down for the "we are not going to the Four Seasons" talk. When he saw me purchase a mosquito head net for our son, "just in case" he was guarded but open enough to be on board. In anticipation of the wildlife we might see, I proceeded to purchase another pair of binoculars for him and my son because I am not prone to sharing mine.

The trip to the lodge is elaborate involving a smallish plane and a boat ride that last a couple of hours through mangroves and take a left when you get to the Pacific Ocean. When you reach the grounds you cannot help but marvel at how this all could have been built without roads and very limited boat access. (as in they are dodging rock outcrops just prior to wet-landing) My husband was stunned. I found myself reflecting on the building of pyramids which he reminded were built by slaves...I later, back in Seattle, heard him describe Casa Corcovado on the phone to a friend as Eco Jungle Luxury. Well said. We spent 5 nights and had three days out and about in the park (both San Pedrillo and Sirena stations) and also had two stay-and-play days, where I hiked the trails and my son and husband enjoyed the pool, the grounds, and the hammocks on the beautiful beach.

While I am sure there are plenty of species to be seen in the park and not on Casa Corcovado's immediate grounds, with the exception of squirrel monkeys and one crocodile, there is not one other species that we saw in the park that we did not see on the grounds. This includes, anteaters, sloths, white faced capuchins, howler and spider monkeys, coati, toucans, scarlet macaws, a tayra and yes, the beloved tapir that munched and strolled it's way precisely through our yard at 1:15 a.m. on our second night there. I could hear it walking and chewing and my eyes popped open in bed with the certainty that there was a big ungulate in our yard! Later I realized, I was barefoot (I do not recommend this) in my p.j.s out of my mind excited with my husband beside me (true love:) and presto, a wildlife moment we are never going to forget. Don't worry we did not approach or get overly close to any wildlife despite the knowledge that I was having a perfect life moment.

Incidentally, when were raced outside to see the tapir with flashlights scanning the yard, my husband says "There's an anteater right here" which at any other time would have been the days/nights highlight but under the circumstances I had to figure out which way the tapir went...

Our guide Leo was amazing. Conservation minded, knowledgable, attentive, dedicated, patient, kind with a clear reverence for the natural world. The rest of the staff was also fantastic. Everyone was warm and kind to our kidlet with the kitchen pulling through with the much needed pasta with butter on an occasion or two when the menu met the adult palate but was tricky for a child. The meals were impressive and hit the spot.

We came armed with natural bug repellant (and that head net net, just in case) and it went unused. Mosquitos were a non-issue. Only sand flies at the beach were on issue one day in the park. I am not sure why the mosquitos were not present and chalk it up to an intact ecosystem where birds, bats, frogs and other insects are working their magic eating them all.

I and now my husband, both HIGHLY recommend this lodge. It is luxury meets jungle and you need to remember that. Some times the luxury prevails and at times the jungle does. There were moments when our bungalow had brief visitors of the exoskeleton variety but I will leave it at that. Did I mention it's a jungle out there? Know before you go!

Hats off the owner who pulled this conservation minded vision off way back when when eco tourism was in its infancy and before everyone jumped on the buzz word and bandwagon. Hats off to the dedicated staff that is continuing to make this happen. They are doing a great job balancing and meeting the needs of the wide range of people visiting them for this extra ordinary jungle experience.

Room Tip: We stayed in bungalow 9 which is not particularly close to the dinning areas and pool BUT we did hav...