“Authentic Costa Rica experience” 4 of 5 stars

You added Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge to your Saves list
Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Osa Peninsula, Corcovado National Park, Costa Rica   |
Washington DC
“Authentic Costa Rica experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Casa Corcovado is truly amazing, especially when you consider that it is in the middle of nowhere and everything has been brought in by boat, including all the construction materials, every bit of food, etc. This is a rustic experience but made lovely by many little touches. We had two wonderful bungalows - one for us and one for our two teens. While we could have all fit into one, the "all inclusive" price meant that it cost the same whether we had one bungalow or two (and they had the space), so we had two. With only a bench to unpack onto (no bureaus), I was glad to have the two extra twin beds to lay out my clothes. Follow their advice and bring only "quick dry" material for this trip - due to the humidity level it is pretty much impossible to get anything to dry here unless the sun comes out - in which case every bungalow has a clothesline outside under the eaves on the sunny side of the building (we also put clothes to dry under the ceiling fans using either the bathroom rack or hangers on the canopied bed frame). The bungalows had ceiling fans, screened windows (no small thing in Costa Rica), a well appointed bathroom, and umbrellas outside the door (a necessity to take to dinner, as it usually rained at night).

The staff was amazingly friendly and helpful, though not every problem could always be fixed right away. Neither our kids nor we had any hot water for the first day. We just assumed there wasn't hot water until speaking with some other guests who told us they had the same problem, solved by re-lighting the propane tank that heats the hot water. The problem was resolved while we were out on an excursion for my husband and I, but they could not seem to fix the hot water in my kids bungalow. We were offered a bottle of wine for their inconvenience and the hot water was fixed by the next morning (not sure how much my under age kids benefited from that). Also, when we returned from snorkeling on Cano Island we returned our equipment at the beach, but my sandals were locked in the guide house. No one could unlock it for me that evening - I was told that the guy with the key doesn't live on the property. Really - where does he possibly live?? Someone needs to get a key for the office to unlock the guide house. We had to depart on a boat at 7 a.m. the next morning and I would have liked to clean and dry my sandals the night before in order to pack them . The food was quite good and we thought very authentic. We were offered two choices for dinner every night - the fresh fish was amazing! There are lots of choices for breakfast, and lunch while out on an excursion was very good. The rubber boots provided for hiking were great and a necessity due to the mud, but pay attention to the suggestion to "bring high socks" - we all got rubbed on the leg from the boots. We used the pool every afternoon after our excursions even though it was often starting to rain. Plenty of towels available. At night the pond was full of large frogs, but hey - that's one more wildlife item we saw! We used the lounge area (a separate large screened room) to play cards and bumper pool. There are also magazines and some paper back books that looked like an informal guest book exchange. If you are looking to party, this is not the place to be, and plan on making your own entertainment at night, which was fine for us. The Wi Fi wasn't working (we heard they lost a tower in a storm) and there was a spotty internet connection on a public computer in the office. We generally went to bed early the entire time we were in Costa Rica as the animals and daylight wake you up by 5:30 a.m!! The beds have great reading lamps build right in so bring a book as well.

If you fly to Palma Sur from San Jose (an experience in and of itself on a 12 person plane), MAKE SURE YOU GET YOUR SUITCASE! There were 8 of us on the plane, and the idiot unloading the luggage in Palma Sure left my bag on the plane. When I realized it wasn't laying around the tiny outside terminal, he went to flag down the pilot, but by then the plane was ready to depart again and left with my bag. There is only one plane and one boat a day to Casa Corcovado, so I could not get my bag until late the next day. When my daughter got out of the boat upon arrival, she got hit by a wave and fell in, which got me all wet. So now my one outfit that I am wearing is wet and I have nothing else to wear. I borrowed a bathing suit from my daughter the next day and wore my same wet, smelly clothes to go hiking(not a pretty sight for a 51 year old to wear a bikini belonging to a 16 year old). When we returned from the all day hike, my suitcase had arrived, but a lot of the clothes in the bag were wet! Not sure if it wasn't put in a garbage bag in the boat like it should have been, but again, there is no way to dry clothes here, another problem. I went to the front desk to discuss this, but the manager was hosting a team evaluating the place for something, so the owner's son, covering the desk, wasn't quite sure what they could do about my wet clothes. More stuff hanging around our room to "dry". I want to emphasize that despite these little snafus, we LOVED Casa Corcovado and would recommend it to anyone. We saw monkeys, a tapir, my daughter saw an Ocelot, lots of butterflies, birds, bugs, whales, sea turtles etc. Oscar is a great boat captain, and the hotel staff and guides were great, understood English and helped us improve out Spanish.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
I'm glad these guests '' loved '' Casa Corcovado even though there were some problems. We do try and have a lot of '' little touches '', I'm happy they noticed, as they say '' God, is in the details ''. All of the Bungalows have extendable clothes lines and hooks outside, and many of the Bungalows have another clothes line under the eaves of the roof. Hope they can come back and enjoy the food and especially the fish again someday. Steven Lill / owner

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Vevey, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The nature surrounding the LODGE is out of this world, the guide (Sentia – sorry if the spelling is wrong) had picked us from the airport and gave us all needed information, The family room with 4 beds is very nice and well designed, authentic style, only 14 units is this huge landscape make it luxurious and exclusive. The trips are well organized and the guides are well informative; the picnic is very well prepared by the guide as part of the trip arrangements. Snorkeling trip the 2nd half of august is not the highlight due to visibility and waves. Service in general very pleasant and staff is very helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Casa Corcovado is a '' World apart, a separate reality '' or as this guest states '' Out of this world ''. We make our world anew everyday, an incredible experience in the middle of the Jungle. We make the electricity light our nights, the cool water flow, the food arrive, the boats to voyage, the tours to run and create a one of a kind experience for our guests. I think what makes our place different from many others is the scale of the undertaking, the size of the property, the gardens, the beach and the '' out of this world '' location. As this client said, to find this hotel with only 14 Bungalows in such '' a huge landscape '' is the most '' luxurious and exclusive '' place you can find. Steven Lill / owner
Jefferson City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This was the most amazing adventure. My husband and I were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and wanted something special. I looked and researched and had lots of maybes, then I read a "National Geographic" article that boasted the Osa Peninsula the most biologically intense place on earth, Corcovado National Park specifically. So, I finally found an area that I was intent on going. I found Casa Corcovado here on Tripadvisor and was drawn by its location to Corcovado National Park as well as the promised adventure of just getting to the location. The small plane ride to Palmar Sur, transportation to the Hacienda and the ride down the Sierpe River to the Lodge itself. It was just as promised! Our Guide Cynthia met us at the airport and escorted us to the Lodge. The boat drivers are phenomenal! We had different ones, Roberto and Oscar who seem to know and read the sea so expertly. We arrived through the most beautiful blue waters crashing on the rocks to see the pristine beach at the Lodge, it was an awesome sight. The men who meet the boat are amazingly adept and like a well oiled machine get people and luggage from the boat and see you safely on your way up the hill in the tractor. As you go up the hill it starts to sink in that you are in the jungle, IN THE JUNGLE! For us the excitement was almost overwhelming! The views are breathtaking, the beautiful plants and flowers, the Scarlet Macaw's, Pelicans and Spider Monkeys overhead, it was unreal! We met with Tyson at the top of the hill. He is amazing! He keeps everyone and everything organized and goes out of his way and above and beyond. He made sure that our stay was over the top amazing. Next we went and had an amazing lunch with the kindest sweetest people I have ever met, Edward and Alonzo! I truly miss their smiling faces and bon a petit! The fresh juices are so good. The lunches and four course dinners are delicious. Then we were taken to our deluxe bungalow where our luggage had been deposited. It was perfect. The gardens were perfect. It was all perfect! I could literally go on and on for days about the scenery, the beautiful ocean, the clear blue waters, the whales, the dolphins, the snorkeling, the hiking in the rainforest, the monkeys, the tapir tracks the pizotes the cave, the bats and yes we saw snakes and hawks and giant toads, white ibis, army ants a sloth just amazing wildlife, but what makes me tear up as I write this are the friends that we made. As I mentioned, Edward, Alonzo and Tyson, so amazing! Our guide Cynthia I mentioned earlier, she was so special to us she is so knowledgeable and friendly and just has an amazing spirit that we connected with on a special level and I pray that I get to see her again! We had another guide Olman who took us horseback riding and snorkeling at San Josecito. The horses belong to Edwards Uncle Gregorio who was the nicest man. If you get the chance while you are there go horseback riding so that you can meet him. The ride and scenery are indescribable! The horses are so well trained to these trails you don’t need to know how to ride! Olman was a great guide and friend to us. He is very knowledgeable and he taught us so much! I pray that we will get to have a drink and tell stories together again! On the night before we left Olman, Tyson, Edward and Alonso surprised us with an anniversary cake and a bottle of wine. These people make this beautiful paradise a step above anything expected, thank you all so much. It has taken me some time to write this, I was torn between wanting to be selfish and keep this experience all to myself for fear that people will spoil this lovely place and wanting to tell everyone this is heaven on earth! I am saving already so we can make it there again someday and I hope that these amazing people are still around. We will have to make it to Claro Del Bosque to see the new organic gardens and go to the Sirena Park Station next time. I can hardly wait!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
I'm glad we were able to spoil this amazing couple on their 30th wedding anniversary with a little cake and wine. I know that all of our staff go out of their way to spoil our guests, especially when they know they are celebrating a special event, they are great. A special thanks to Cynthia, Edward, Tyson and Alonso. I hope these guests come back and celebrate another wedding anniversary with us and don't wait another 30 years to do it. Happy anniversary to them ! Steven Lill / owner
Stevenage Hertfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Bought as the 4 day package that includes transfers all the way from San Jose, this was an unforgettable experience. From the flight from Sansar hangar at San Jose in a 12 seater (there were only 5 of us) plane where we were met by our guide, to the taxi ride from Palmar Sur airstrip taking us to 'the Hacienda' (a kind of reception area) where we were given drinks and the opportunity to change into shorts and 'water shoes' for the 'wet landing' at the other end. From the small 2 hours on the boat, whizzing down the Rio Sierpe to the place where the river meets the sea and then out into the Pacific Ocean for 40 minutes of feverish whale spotting (none seen on this time unfortunately!), to the rocky landing site, what a driver!!!

Off the boat we were greeted by the jungle 'limo', a big red tractor with a trailer for guests to sit in style while climbing the steep jungle path to the lodge, amazing. Shown straight into lunch by our guide in one of the most picturesque locations we have ever been. The guide couldn't tell us enough information, and showed us round the main areas of the lodge.

We had bungalow 5. a lovely room, well appointed and with all the toiletries you require for the stay, fluffy towels, dressing gowns and torches all supplied.

Speaking of supplies... you don't need to bring...

toiletries, wellies, torches, capes/rainwear, back packs, snorkelling gear, binoculars, 'drybags'!!

You do need to bring mossie spray (although they do sell it there), and suntan lotion (also sold in reception) and some long trousers/shirt for the hike, oh and long socks to stop the wellies chaffing!

Included in the price of the package was - a birdwatching walk around the grounds (starts at 5.30 am and is brill)
- a days walk through the national park (starts at 7am and is brill)
- a days snorkelling trip (starts 7 am, takes an hour to reach the island, but if you are lucky and whales are spotted, you go to see them too!! Humpbacks and spotted dolphins were there for us, and a green Ridley sea turtle. The snorkelling portion was about 1 hour (30 yrds from whales passing) and then a half hour to relax on Cano island beach)

For us the only downfall was the food... you are in the middle of nowhere so have no choice, and as vegetarians we literally had no choice. it was hit and miss with the food, and i don't know how meat eaters fared, but alot of food was left on plates.

I cant recommend Casa Corcovado enough, it is a wonderful place with wonderful staff, thanks to Olman, Cynthia, Leo and all the staff, it's hard to say what you could do to improve...but if i think of anything, i'll let you know!!

Thanks again, AMAZING!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Our area of the Southern Pacific coast of Costa Rica is the only spot in the World that receives migrations of Humpback Whales from both the Arctic and Antarctic waters. They come at different times of the year so our guests have a good chance to spot whales. The Humpbacks that come from the Antarctic have recently been recognized as the mammals that undertake the longest migration known, 16,000 kilometers or almost 10,000 miles! I am disappointed that my guests who were vegetarians were not convinced that we met their special needs, we are aware of our responsibility in such an isolated environment. All of our guests are asked by their guide when they arrive by plane before the boat trip if they have any special dietary needs or restrictions and this information is passed to the Hotel before the guests arrive for lunch. I feel bad that we let them down in this respect but I'm glad that overall they enjoyed their experience with us. Steven Lill / owner
Bristol, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stayed here a few years ago and it was a wonderful place. Our guide 'B' was fab and so knowledgeable. Our cabin was spacious and surrounded by the jungle sounds. Went out every day and night wildlife spotting with and without the guide as it's safe to do so on your own. The whole layout and style of the place was wonderful and remote. Every evening at dusk we walked down to the lookout post to watch the macaws eating the fruits from the trees right in front of us. We sat in the open air bar every night watching the large fruit bats swooping around us and there was always other wildlife snuffling around once it got dark. Food was served in a rustic screened restaurant so you weren't bothered by insects but still were open to the elements. The plane trip in was turbulent and the boat ride through the mangroves onto the beach made for an unforgettable entrance!

Room Tip: We had the smaller cabana and we'd wished we'd opted for the larger one as they had screened...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I'm pleased that our friends from Bristol had a good stay with us at Casa Corcovado, enjoyed the setting and got to see lots of wildlife. Because our 170 acre preserve adjoins Corcovado National Park, you are almost guaranteed to see amazing wildlife. Hope our friends will come back and visit someday.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I cannot say enough great things about our trip to Corcovado. After researching multiple locationd within Costa Rica , I was very interested in visiting the Osa peninsula and corcovado in particular. It was a bit of a challenge for me in arranging a 5 night travel and stay at casa c for 16 people, 8 adults and 8 kids. Right from the beginning , the staff at casa did a wonderful job...Lorena at the office was very methodical and detailed. The air, road and boat arrangements for the 16 of us was complex but perfectly managed and arranged by the hotel....there was no glitch whatsoever.

The journey itself to get to the lodge was magical....the small 12 seater plane over the jungle ....the boat ride thru the mangrove and the ocean.....the beach landing.....the tractor ride up to the lodge, in itself was fantastic

The rooms at the lodge were very clean, well maintained and comfortable. Hot water was a problem as it took a long time for the shower water to get heated resulting in wastage, however management did take care of this.

The location of the lodge, right next to the forest is excellent,....the sunset point and the beach were marvellous. I wish we had more days to spend here.

The staff was really great....Edwards at the resturant and bar did a great job. It was nice meeting the owners son who had a lot of interesting stories and perspectives and ideas.

The trips arranged were perfect. 4 of us did an additional tour to Sirena which i strongly reccomend. Our guide Cynthia was very nice, knowledgable and helpful at all times.

In summary, this was an unforgettable experience. I would love to come back here again

Room Tip: Room 10 is best for 4...we had 4 rooms....all were great
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
This was a big group and the travel arrangements were complicated so I want to thank my staff in San Jose, especially Lorena who is in charge of reservations. I also want to mention the great work Ailiny does in our office and of course Geovanny, our General Manager, who has been with me from the beginning. Maintaining an office in San Jose is expensive but assures us that we can handle reservations quickly and help our customers with any requests, and keep things running smoothly. A lot of the credit that these guests had an absolutely stunning, unforgettable and fantastic experience goes to the people behind the scenes in San Jose. Steven Lill / owner
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for five nights in early July. This place is wonderful. It takes a 12-seat prop plane flight followed by a 1-1/2 hour boat trip on the river and along the coast to get there. (The same is true for the groceries they feed you, at least the boat part.) We managed to score one guide for the two of us for the five days we were there, which I think was just a matter of luck. We took the jungle hike (be sure you stay well-hydrated for that one), the horseback tour, the snorkeling tour and the just-relax-on-the-beach day (that day included a VERY nice lunch on the beach, almost decadent).

We saw three kinds of monkey, soldier ants, leaf-cutter ants, more birds than you can shake a stick at, rocket frogs, coatimundis, agoutis, and lizards (including the basilisk, and my wife saw it running on water, sorry I missed that). The guide definitely makes a difference, and ours (Olman) was very easy to engage in conversation.

The horseback tour is doable (and wonderful, I might add) even if you have almost no experience (I took a semester of horseback riding in college about, um... 30 years ago) because those horses were awesome (guided only by halters, no bits), but we did wind up galloping on the beach, so make sure you have enough leg muscle and balance for that.

On our trip out to Caño Island, we managed to see humpback whales (luck, again), spotted dolphins, and sea turtles.

The surf was a little rougher and debris-ridden (mostly big palm nuts and tree branches) than I'm used to, being a North Carolina resident, but the beach was very nice. Bring bug spray, though.

The food was excellent and all the service was top-notch. The Margarita Sunset Bar, manned by Edward, puts a lovely cap on the day.

Our bungalow was not air-conditioned, but it has open screens all around, so the temperature was fine. It was fairly well-separated from the other bungalows and had a sort of a shrubbery privacy screen around it. Note that this location is basically in jungle/tropical forest and has no air-conditioning (but we never really missed the a/c).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
John and his wife who stayed with us in July have contacted me with some ideas for our improvement, which I think is great. It shows that he appreciated his stay with us at Casa Corcovado and as he stated in his e-mail to me, he hopes for our continued success. We have always paid attention to our guests comments and I have read every comment sheet that has been filled out and left at the hotel. We have been able to implement many of our guest's ideas for our improvement but of course some of the ideas, mainly due to our unique jungle location, didn't seem possible or recommendable. I am glad that John and his wife were able to see whales and dolphins and lots of other wildlife and really enjoyed their stay with us. Steven Lill / owner

Been to Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge? Share your experiences!