“An amazing experience” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
NH
“An amazing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

You arrive at this lodge by boat, jumping into the ocean up to your knees, with the assistance of hotel staff. So starts a remarkable stay at Casa Corcovado, where the stained glass doorways and decorations seem beautifully incongruous with the jungle surroundings. The lodge was absolutely lovely. The food was wonderful and the guides were able to spot monkeys, birds and other animals from a great distance, viewable clearly through their scopes. The howler monkeys woke us up at dawn. The birds were amazing. Service in the restaurant was slow but I was't in a hurry so it just allowed me to enjoy the time we spent with our group. I loved this place!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Hi Ruth,
You've summed up our mix of adventure and laid-back comfort beautifully, thanks! Happy to hear you had a great stay, and saw lots of our feathered friends - and hope you'll come back to visit us again one day.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Mission Viejo, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed here in January, 2013. First the Pros- amazing location. The beach is gorgeous, and it is right next to the park and a short walk to the ranger station (that you need a ticket to go to). Breakfast is good, so is lunch, if you are not on a trip. We saw Spider monkeys behing our room each morning at 6am and saw many animals on a hike.

Unfortunately, it is extremely poorly run. The old manager left and a new manager, who was a bartender, was appointed. Unfortunately, he seems to have no management experience and the lodge is severely suffering. The manager either does not speak English, or doesn't want to deal with any issues that arise. The tours were not handled properly and the when some groups wanted to make adjustments, they were told he would get back to them and never did.

Dinners are Terrible! They try to get fancy and do higher end food. It results in resounding failure. Please cook what they know- Costa Rican food. Our lunches were so much better than any dinner.

We had some rude staff- a guide I had never met was extremely rude to me in the middle of dinner. She came to our table and pointed in my face and saying "Oh, I remember yooouu!" And continued with a ton of attitude. I reported this to the manager. Instead of dealing with her attitude, he sent her to apologize. Her apology consisted of saying "I am sorry YOU misunderstood ME" (which I told her is not an apology). Then told me she was a lesbian. As if that explains her rudeness. I told her that has no place in our conversation and was irrelevant. I was flabbergasted. I paid a huge sum to stay here, and could not believe the terrible customer service. IT was so bad it was comical. Unfortunately, I paid for Ritz service and got worse than Motel 6 service.

Bars- the bars are inconsistently staffed. And the staff mostly has ZERO idea how to make a drink. Do not come here planning to have a mixed drink. I ordered a drink on their menu and was asked by the bartender four times what it was. He finally went and got a menu to see how to make it, then gave a mixed drink to me in a tiny martini glass. I am a light weight and didn't even get a tiny buzz because there was so little alcohol. I also had a Pina Colada that was mostly huge ice chunks from being so poorly blended. I didn't order any other drinks after that.

The Wifi never worked.

Bottom line. This property has SO much potential! But the poor management, dinner and customer service ruined it for me. It would have been acceptable if the price was lower. However, at the price we paid to stay there it is simply not ok.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Hello and thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. I am disappointed to hear your recent stay did not reach your expectations. I was, however, pleased to read the positive remarks about the location, breakfasts and lunches and our level of cleanliness - thank you. We have taken onboard and addressed your further points.

We did, indeed, lose our very good manager due to a family emergency. Our assistant manager stepped into the breach, and as you rightly point out, we had a challenging few days. As a hard-working and very competent employee in the role of assistant manager, we felt he deserved the opportunity to take on the additional responsibility. We are committed to providing employment to the local Osa community where English is not the first language and, unfortunately, in this case, I believe a lack of confidence in dealing with our English-speaking clients did lead to the problems you describe.

We are now lucky enough to have the services of a bilingual tourism consultant, with many years of experience in Costa Rica, the Osa, and wilderness lodges around the world, who is providing additional management support until our new manager takes up his post. The assistant manager is once again overseeing our team of three barstaff.

Many of our guests tell us they enjoy the wide variety of fresh, local fruits and vegetables, and the type of Costa Rican dishes that we serve at lunch, and so we are in the process of changing the dinner menu, just as you suggest, to feature adding more of a local flavour.

I was surprised and disappointed to read that a member of our staff had spoken in a discourteous and inappropriate way. I have taken up this matter personally with the guide in question. I can only apologise, and add further apologies on her behalf. This type of behaviour is unprecedented at Casa Corcovado, and has no place in our organisation.

Once again, I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback, and for bringing to our attention, and allowing us to remedy, any issues falling short of the high standard we and the staff pride ourselves in offering at Casa Corcovado.
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

First off... this is a 4 star LODGE, not a hotel and is located in a very remote location... the Corcovado National Park. If you want a luxury hotel then this is NOT the place for you. To arrive at Casa Corcovado you need to fly to Southwestern Costa Rica (on a very small plane) and then it's a 2 hour boat ride from Sierpe town to get to the lodge (down a river and south along the coast). From there... you're pretty much out in the jungle. The hotel is extremely well run and Carlos (the manager) does a good job at making sure everything goes smoothly. The set up is a beautifully gardened lot a overlooking the ocean with office building, a main dining room, a number of bungalows set up for guests, and a set of lodges for the staff. The bungalows are comfortable, have hot water/electricity, and are very attractively situated amongst the gardens.

The pros:

You're really out in the middle of the jungle. Wildlife is everywhere, and it's an experience like no other. The hotel grounds are simply gorgeous, with lots of small trails you can hike, a private beach, 2 pools (1 for swimming and 1 isolated for 'adults'), a beautiful sunset bar where you can relax and watch the sunset and have a beer/margarita (overlooking Cano Island). Hot water in the bungalows, indoor and outdoor showers, and they have all the gear you'll need available for you (day packs, big rubber boots for hiking in the mud, snorkel gear, etc.)

The cons:

You're out in the middle of nowhere... if there's an emergency.. well... hope there's not an emergency. It's rustic, which is part of its charm but if the water is rough/stormy you can have an absolutely sea-sick inducing/miserable cold 2 hour ride out on the uncovered boat. You can have large insects and/or jungle rodents that make their way into your room (we experienced both), and the food is decent... but you dine on a schedule and you're also at the mercy of what can be acquired and cooked this far from a grocery store.

Our biggest issue wasn't with the accommodations... it was with our guide. Casa Corcovado has some amazing guides. Unfortunately... we weren't assigned to one of them. We were assigned a 'new' guide who stayed with us for our entire trip (as seems to be their policy). We did 2 excursions with her and she was absolutely awful. She wasn't knowledgeable (actually gave us incorrect information on the few occasions we asked her questions), was unsuccessful at finding any of the wildlife (the place was teeming with it, and what little we saw... we were pointing out to her), and she spent over half of her time playing on her iphone. After a 2nd excursion was pretty much ruined (Cano Island) we did address the issue with the manager who was extremely responsive, and gave us 2 additional excursions (AM bird watching and a local rainforest walk) with a decent guide (Marlon.. who was wonderful) which helped to salvage the experience. The manager didn't seem all that surprised with our issues though, and I'm still stunned that they would have someone of that caliber working there when their other guides all seemed to be of such good quality. So... as irate as we were with our first guide experience, they do want you to have a good time and a good experience so definitely speak up and they will do everything they can to make it right.

All told.... it's a one of a kind experience. If you don't mind roughing it a bit (insects, etc.) and want a bit of a jungle adventure... this is definitely your place. If you want everything neat and tidy... pass on this and find accommodations that are less rustic and you'll probably have a better experience. Also... make sure you get a good guide! They will absolutely make or break your experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thanks for the review! That's a good tip - "know what you are getting into" - because jungle lodges, however 'gorgeous' and 'well-run', are, by nature, remote and surrounded by wildlife, and the luxuries on offer here are the natural sort - a beach to yourself, birdsong, that margarita and view of the sunset and private rainforest trails - which isn't for everyone. But, as you say, if you want a bit of jungle adventure, this is definitely your place.
One thing I should point out is that our staff has first aid, and wilderness first aid training, and, because we are situated right on the edge of the national park, and on call to provide support to the park rangers, excellent emergency evacuation procedures in place.
As for 'the cons', I was sorry to hear that you had been in an uncovered boat, and I am looking into how that came about, as our own boats are covered. Luckily we're blessed with hot days and calm, bath temperature seas most of the year, but on boat trips in rainy weather, we cut out the sightseeing which reduces the journey to less than 1hr 30 mins, an hour of which is on the river. I apologise if that was not the case for you, and, as I say, will look into it.
I'm sorry also that your first guide experience was disappointing, but happy that the manager was able to offer additional excursions and an alternative guide. The guide in question is no longer with this organisation. Thank you for letting us know. We're very proud of our enthusiastic expert guides and committed to keeping our standards high.
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

Cool place, beautiful grounds, great guides. Horrible lukewarm food and nothing to do after dinner! Also you def need a flashlight, with the lights in the rooms we still couldn't see anything. The bar will be clOsed after dinner so plan
ahead!

• Stayed November 2011
Hi Kate,
Thank you - Casa Corcovado IS cool! Based on your feedback and requests from our guests for more of our home-grown exotic fruits, and our traditional Costa Rican dishes, we've made some great changes to our menu, so hope you'll come back again and check them out.
The bar is actually open before and after dinner, and it stays open every night until the last guest leaves. We're adding a bell, so if you happen to be the first to arrive, you can ring for instant service!
We have backgammon, boardgames, cards etc available, and while we don't lay on too much in the way of organised after-dinner activities, the guided night tours start at 8pm each night for anyone wanting to sample nightlife Osa style!
Marbella, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I found this hotel on tripadvisor and I was impressed for the many excellent reviews it got.

So I looked up its availability and found an accomodation, for up to six people, on bookings.com at a reasonable price 1200$. This was only the accomodation. We would have had to pay for the meals and excursions separately.

Unfortunately, and ONLY after I contacted them, I was told that that price was not correct, and I was supposed to spend 4 to 5 times the amount offered on bookings.com.
I was told my reservation was canceled by them (though it wasn't true) and I was going to get the option THEY chose for me, that was including full board and a couple of excursions.

I was struck by the fact that, haven't I checked before hand, I would have been presented with the only possibility of paying 5125$, as the 1200$ option was not available.

Very unprofessionally, they blamed me with bookings.com and blamed bookings.com when writing to me.

I believe they should avoid offering not existing price accomodation and, when they do by mistake, assume their responsabilities and act professionally.

No need to say, I booked my staying in Corcovado area somewhere else, and where was immediately contacted and offered advice as soon as they received the reservation.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Just to confirm - you found information on the website of a different company, booking.com, that you found misleading? When you did contact us direct you were immediately given accurate information? And because you were looking for more of a budget option, you chose to stay elsewhere?

I'm trying to work out how this entitles you to claim that you stayed with us in September?

I'd also like to make a general TripAdvisor point, that however annoying online budget booking agencies can be, (and we've all had them), it hardly makes sense to take out your frustration by giving a 1 out of 5 star rating (based on value, location, sleep quality, rooms. cleanliness and service) for a hotel you have never even visited.

However, this gives me the opportunity to confirm how we work.
Full rates and package details are available on the Casa Corcovado website, along with information on how to book. Our packages are also sold through reputable partner agencies. Given our isolated location - no roads, no fancy restaurants nearby - all accommodation is sold as part of a full board package. If it wasn't our guests would get very hungry.

We don't 'choose' options on behalf of our guests. Our most popular packages include two tours but we offer a wide range - information and rates for all of which are provided on the website - and we also tailor packages on request to suit every area of special interest or length or stay.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

It is absolutaly amazing place ton enjoy Costa Rica nature and what it has to offer. The adventure starts already by boat transport - thanks to captain Oscar I have not got the seasickness :-) Anyway it takes quiet a while to get to lodge - almost 2 hours but during the ride we saw Crocodile, a snake, some birds and an island, where the scene for the movie Jurassic-Park were taken. The lodge and the rooms are absolutaly amazing, very nice decorated with small candles for the evening. We had a room no. 3 - close to main builduing and restaurant. As you are really in the middle of jungle, there were couple of spider monkeys you could see around playing on the trees - espacially around 5 pm. We loved the food - it was a real dinning experience even they had to bring everything by boat to the hotel. Sunset bar with mango margharita ( for 2 USD!) was truly romantic highlight before the dinner :-). Imagine seeing whales while taking a drink amd seeing sunset over there! The beach was very cute with black sand - so make sure you wont get dirty clothes after. We didnt swim in the ocean due to high and string waves, but the private beach was nice to take a book and have a rest. You can still swimm in 2 available swimming pools and if you are lucky you will see some monkeys around.We were shocked by laundry service - when the stuff needed only few hours to get our clothes clean and ready to use. We loved the tours - Hiking in National Parl and Cano Island Tour - absolutaly a must! The guide was really nice explaining and answering every single question. I would highly recommend this resort and area as it is absolutaly stunning place to enjoy the nature, see the wildlife and experience the rainforest itself ( by the way do not worry to bring an extra clothes - Casa Corcovado provides you the backpack, rainponcho, rubber boots so you do not need to bring them with you!) Casa Corcovado provide even water as much as you wish, so they wont charge you for it! I hope I could help you and in case you have more questions just aske me! A.J.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

This hotel is absolutely unbelievable: in the middle of the jungle, it is a little paradise surrounded by howling monkeys, incredibly beautiful flora.
A unique experience with thr sunset, the animals, thr jungle, the dolphins, the whales....
You will have memories or a lifetime!

The guides are very knowledgable and friendly, you will see many animals on the jungle walk, you will enjoy the swimming pools, but also swimming near a waterfall or in the sea and at the end of the day, after a hot shower, you will sip your gin& tonic in the sunset bar, looking at sun sinking in the Pacific Ocean. We were extremely lucky to see many dolphins but also several jumping whales: something we will never forget

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge? Share your experiences!