We loved the La Leona lodge. Getting there is an adventure. It's about 45km drive from Puerto Jiminez to Carate and the road isn't great, we definitely needed our 4x4, wouldn't attempt it in a regular car. There are also fairly deep rivers to ford on the way. Then it's a 3km hike along the hot beach to La Leona.
We were greeted by dozens of Scarlet Macaws flying overhead and landing in trees near us. Amazing!
The staff at La Leona were lovely, and the chef was fantastic. Seriously, I would hire him if I owned a restaurant. He produced the best food I'd eaten in Costa Rica so far!
The tents are nice, we had an ocean view with a private bathroom. The tent does get extremely hot at night. I would recommend bringing more clothes than you think you will need, because you'll want to change quite a lot as it's so sticky. There are comfy hammocks on the grounds, and a path at the back of the property to explore.
The entrance to Corcovado is just along the beach. We did a 5 hour hike without a guide and saw absolutely loads. I wished we'd had more time (and clean clothes!) so we could've stayed longer and seen even more. One day I'd like to return, perhaps it isn't as hot at other times of year?!
All in all, fantastic remote place. No kids, hardly any people. Heaven.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are located at the entrance of Corcovado National Park, on the Osa Peninsula of Costa Rica, nestled in the most beautiful, primary rainforest and surrounded by the Pacific Ocean. Come and see for yourself what paradise looks like, and enjoy all the attention and accommodations of a lavish stay in the wild! Prepare yourself to embark on the journey of a lifetime! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and BookingOdigeoWL so you can book your La Leona Eco Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Leona Eco Hotel Corcovado National Park
- La Leona Eco Lodge Costa Rica/Carate