“Comfort and great food in the rainforest” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Rate
Stay 3 nights
Portland, Oregon
“Comfort and great food in the rainforest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2006

Just returned from our first trip to Costa Rica and my husband and I particularly loved our too-short stay at the Lookout Inn.
Located on the fairly remote Osa Peninsula, the Inn is a beautiful residence sprawling up the hillside above a pristine beach where you are most unlikely to meet anyone but fellow inn guests, crabs, turtles and macaws.
Terry, Katya, Chelsea and all the other staff here are very welcoming, have lots of good advice for hiking, horse riding and exploring and the food, to which we were summoned by a call from a conch shell, was excellent.
We stayed in a tiki hut and I regard taking a hot shower in the open-to-the-forest bathroom at the inn as one of the best experiences of my life! Going to sleep to the sound of the waves crashing just at the foot of the hill, the night sounds of the jungle and the sounds of the purple and orange crabs making their long hike back up from the beach to the mountains, through the leaves under our hut will long stay with me as an experience from a dream.
We loved every moment of our stay, including an encounter with battling monkey species on a short walk just up the road from the Inn and a close-up sighting of the rare squirrel monkeys.
My advice for travellers to the inn would be to stay at least three or four nights, longer if you can, since it is quite a trek to get there. Also, I would recommend taking an internal flight to Puerto Jiminez rather than trying to drive. It is really not possible to imagine how bad the roads are or how exhausting it is to drive them until you've been there. It's a good twelve hours from San Jose if you drive, or about 40 minutes by air-taxi and then two hours by road from the airport if you decide to fly.
We cannot wait to return to this little corner of paradise and will certainly be staying longer next time.
Thank you everyone at the Inn for a stay we'll remember for a very long time.
Susanna and Greg
Portland, OR

• Stayed March 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2006

We appreciated the warm hospitality extended by the owners and hosts, Terry and Katya, who were always available to answer questions and even joined us for cocktails during happy hour. Our favorite features of the property itself included the gorgeous views from the various decks (be sure to watch the sunset from the top two decks); the lush landscaping which was overflowing with tropical flowers, geckos, hummingbirds, and even monkeys; and easy access to a pristine beach that we often had all to ourselves. On a typical day we hiked for a few hours in the morning—nearby waterfall, lagoon, banana plantation—ate lunch at the Inn, then spent the rest of day in a hammock by the beach or parked on one of the lounge chairs on the sand. Last but not least, we really enjoyed all of our meals at the Lookout Inn, particularly the cozy candle lit dinners on the top deck, which always included fresh produce from the local organic farm and yummy desserts like banana crepes and ice cream. Our only constructive feedback would be that the beds and bedding are almost due for an upgrade (we stayed in a room in the main building). All in all, we had a great stay at the Lookout Inn.

• Stayed March 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2005

Sometimes you see websites of places, with beautiful pictures and rave reviews, but you are sceptical... can it be true? Are they just showing the best bits? Well I can tell you that the Lookout Inn, next to the Corcovada National Park is BETTER than the website photos show it to be.

I stayed at Lookout Inn for 8 days.. arrived as a stranger and left as a family member. I was in a Tiki Room - an a-frame room with one wall open to the jungle and glimples of ocean & beach. It was remarkable. I had hummingbirds, butterflies and fireflies in my room. Iguanas, monkeys and those marvellous red macaws in the trees a few feet away. The website does not show how close that wonderful, wild beach is, nor does it reveal the constant sound of the surf. The forest is alive with sounds.

If that is not enough - the people at LookOut Inn are wonderful. Terry and Katya make perfect hosts - knowledgable, friendly and genuinely wanting to make your stay a good one. Their staff keep the place spotless and food is exceptional. I was astonished to have a full American thanksgiving feast during my visit - yes turkey, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, pumpkin pie and the works! You may feel like you are at the 'end of the world', but you certainly do not dine like you are.

I had some wonderful walks in the immediate area - you dont have to go far at all to see incredible sights. But I also had a walking day tour, with local Elios into Corcovada National Park. With his help, I saw many more birds and animals than I would have on my own.

The Osa Peninsula is a very special place on the planet. Remote, wild and a home to many endangered plants, animals and birds. The Lookout Inn is a perfect base to explore this extraordinary location.

Been to Lookout Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!