“Getaway of getaways.” 5 of 5 stars

Rainy Season Special
Naples, Florida
“Getaway of getaways.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Terry and his wife Kattia ROCK. This wonderful lodge is where you can really put all the stress behind, kick back and get in touch with your soul.
Macaws fly by in droves, and the pacific is full of dolphin, whales and every fish imaginable. Fresh fish, Ceviche and Mango Margaritas are the finest.
The closest lodge to the famed Corcovado National Park, you will see the true Costa Rica here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
lookoutinn, Manager at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
hello back at your capt bill and you ROCK -- and you need to return and tip a few more mango margs. with us all at the lookout inn.. had rain the other nite so the migration of the holloween crabs is upon us -- thousands move back and forth to the beach at nite from the hills and then migrate back to the hills before the sun comes up- the beach has millions of holes in it from these lil critters this will go on for 2-3 weeks -- and you can not eat them a real bummer -- hope all is well in florida.. thanks so much for hanging with us... ter & katya

264 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My lifelong dream had always been to see wild macaws flying in the rainforest. My fiance' and I decided to elope and make this happen. The owners Terry and Katye, as well as the rest of the staff are some of the most amazing people I have ever met. They helped us plan and create a more perfect ceremony than I could have ever imagined!! And the Inn itself is more gorgeous and breathtaking than any of the pictures could possibly convey. Wild scarlet macaws fly all around the area of the inn, as well as monkeys, beautiful insects, and cute iguanas. The rooms are immaculately clean, the inn and grounds very well manicured and taken care of. Such a romantic place! Full bar avail and gourmet breakfast, lunch, and dinner are all included! The beach is just across the road from the inn so you can watch the sunset on the beach from a beautiful treetop height. Never in my life have I ever been to a more perfect place than the Lookout Inn. We will definitely be repeat guests!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
hello tuesday--how is that new hubby of yours ??? tell him to write to me ok

well what can i say u2 where a blast and the lil romantic wedding was a hoot.. what about that rasta jamican geru that did the ceremony --where the heck did he come from ?? you 2 love birds need to come on back again and hang out longer bring the new family hope to see ya all soon.. love to u both with happy & many years of love and joy -- kat & ter
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

The Lookout Inn Lodge in Carate Costa Rica is a relaxing and fun place to spend a few days. There is easy access to the beach. you can sit on the porch (or lie in the hammock) with a cold drink and watch the beautiful Scarlet Macaws soaring up and down the beach as they eat the beach almonds. The sight of them wheeling though the sky is magnificent and the inn owners Terry and Katya provide a wonderful ringside seat to the show. The staff at the end is very friendly and helpful. The cabinas are clean and comfortable and are made mostly with the concrete and thatch construction that you see in that area. The grounds of the lodge are gardens designed to attract birds and butterflies and there are a variety of beautiful birds such as tanagers, honey creepers, and hummingbirds. Terry, the owner, has built a new terrace that is perfect for setting lenses on tripods to shoot some great photos of scarlet macaws in flight.

The food at the Lookout was excellent and beautifully presented. The tropical flower and greenery arrangements on the tables and in the rooms were lovely. There was a lot of variety and the soups were especially delicious.

The owners Katya and Terry make all guests feel welcomed and at home. It was one of the most relaxing placing that I have stayed. You can do as much or as little as you want. If you want to hike the Corcovado National Park, Katya will arrange the tour for you. I didn't take that tour, but was told by other guests that it was a good hike with quite a few animal sightings. You can go horseback riding on the beach, boogie boarding, or just relax and watch the birds come to the deck and the macaws wheeling through the sky. Terry has made a friend of one of the wild Scarlets who comes nightly to socialize with guests in the bar area. Capuchin monkeys and Coatimundis were on the grounds as well. We were told that a tapir comes to the gardens on many nights but we didn't get to see the tapir.

One more thing to note is that the owners are very focused in the conservation of the Osa Peninsula. They have fostered an environment conducive to support the animals and birds. Katya is a wonderful person and uses a lot of her time to preserve the turtle population that uses the beaches there for nesting. During nesting season Katya checks the beaches daily and records the nest, hatches, counts hatchlings, and assists hatchlings that struggle to exit the nests for one reason or another. She invited us to go with her one evening to release two hatchings that she had rescued. Katya carefully releases them on the beach with the ocean in sight so they can safely begin their journey. We were incredibly touched by the experience of watch these tiny little green turtles hesitantly start moving toward the sea and then move faster and faster as they see the foam and feel the ocean spray. (And yes there were some tears.) It was amazing to see these tiny little turtles eagerly running into the huge ocean with no fear of that big wall of water heading their way. Katya's dedication in doing this work day after day and year after year demonstrates what a wonderful person she is.

If you want to visit a casual, relaxed place run by good people who care about the Osa and its creatures, you won't be disappointed with the Lookout Inn Lodge. We plan to return to visit them again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
hello J.& M. -- thanks for the wonderful write - up . katya is back on the beach this morning with guests covering a green turtle nest that came up early this am -- so if all goes well lil babys hatching in about 50 days.. -- just another sunny - hot - humid - tropical day here at the lookout inn carate beach 88 'F .

thank you again for visiting us and hope to see you for the holidays book early so you get in @ the inn ok??? bye for now katya - terry and the wildlife
San Rafael
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

This now makes my 3rd trip to Lookout Inn. I stayed in 2006, 2007 and now 2013. I am a wildlife videographer and what drew me here originally was a recommendation from another Lookout Inn Guest - Roy T in 2006 (by the way thanks Roy!)

Can you imagine a Canadian boy in the cold north pouring over pictures of scarlet macaws and dreaming of one day seeing them in the wild and not knowing where to go to do so? That was me and Lookout Inn simply blew me away when I arrived! Here there were macaws everywhere! I spent hours and hours filming them and a childhood dream came true. You can see a clip here if you like

Lookout allowed me to have the adventure of a lifetime filming here! Not only this but on my first morning I was grinning sleepily as at 4 AM I woke to my first howler monkeys and later filmed my first toucans. Other amazing wildlife too! Turtles hatching and scurrying under my feet on the beach etc! Oh yeah and this trip in 2013 on my way to bed Terry the owner pointed out a huge Tapir - literally munching bananas about 20 feet from my doorstep!

As I am a bird guy Terry lined me up with local Tico guide Elias who who can show you the bird life there. Katya his wife is very kind and on arriving for my 3rd time (2013) gave me a hug just like a family member. The other thing I so so enjoy is meeting other people here. Within hours I feel at home and connected to other travelers.

If you are looking for pampered five star city hotels you may not appreciate Lookout Inn. But If you want remote beauty and more than adequate comfort this is the place. I still marvel at the solar set up and how on earth all of that great cooking can be done in such a remote area. Also I am puzzled why others don't enjoy the fun and challenge of rainforest travel over the jungle road to get here. For me that's part of the adventure of arriving to such a secluded spot!

I also like that at Lookout Inn you can do a scheduled horseback ride or other activity or simply - not. This time I chose to chill and birdwatch and just drink in the beauty of the area and do some filming. Great to be back Terr and Katya! I will be back again soon!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
hey don -- what a nice review thanks so much and we are always happy to see return guests -- must be doing something correct -this season alone we have about 21 guests coming back to the lookout inn - i asume its the great views -- the green lush rain forest that wraps around us and the pacific ocean only 150 feet away -- the wonderful staff - excellent all u can eat 7 course buffet meals - ocean sunsets - monkeys and scarlet macaws visiting us daily -- maybe a humbpack whale jumping out front - lagoon kayaking - walking the famous stair ways to Heaven -- the water falls -- and of course the 2 beautiful hosts.. thanks a million for hanging with us again ..see you again real soon... -- lookout inn team
Salida, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We happened upon the Lookout Inn en route to a 3-day trek in Corcovado National Park. Once we arrived, excluding our trek, we never left. Each morning, we awoke before sunrise, raced up to the deck and drank the strong Costa Rican coffee waiting for us as dawn broke over the jungle. By 6:30 am, Katya (the co-owner) was nice enough to invite us on her morning sea turtle patrol. On those walks, we had the beach to ourselves, outside of 100's of baby sea turtles, numerous scarlet macaws and many other animals that live in the area. We brushed up on our spanish, learned about sea turtle ecology and made a really good friend.

Morning and afternoons were full of long hikes, ocean swimming, good books and naps. We saw every animal you can imagine. However, some of our favorite memories are watching monkeys from the Inn deck and our open-air hotel room (the "Monkey House"). Few things in life compare to watching the sun set over the Pacific Ocean and Corcovado National Park from the deck at the Lookout Inn. After spending the day alone together exploring the area, we really enjoyed the family style dinners and drinks.

The rooms are incredible (see website for pictures and other reviews for ideas).

Carate is a remote place. We checked out each of its 4 hotels during our vacation and spent a few nights in the park. While each hotel had something different to offer, the Lookout Inn felt like home to us - more like a family beach house or a bed and breakfast than a resort or hotel. The Lookout Inn has the best value for food, accommodations and activities in the area. The Lookout Inn does great job considering its distance from a commercial center. We ate each of the other hotels and can vouch for the Lookout Inn having the best food in Carate at a much better price.

The Lookout Inn and the Osa Peninsula are not for everyone. The experience is so special because of its remoteness. All of Carate is "off-the-grid" and runs on solar power, generators and wind power. If you are expecting to use the internet all day and sleep in an air-conditioned environment, you should strongly consider traveling elsewhere in Costa Rica (or maybe just go to Florida). This hotel is special because it does not have those things.

We will be back as soon as we are able. Many thanks to Terry, Katya and the Lookout crew for their hospitality! Be sure to get a drink at the Black Beach bar!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
hello mile high guests -- i assume its still cold in colorado yes?? still 88"F sunny & tropical here on carate beach osa p. the lookout inn-- katya wants to thank you 2 for sharing time with her on the beach with all those lil baby sea turtles .. you need to visit in aug - nov. and help her secure the nests after the moms lay all those eggs.. that is rewarding also -- again thanks for stopping in and hanging with the best beach rainforest lodge in carate or maybe on the osa yes??? and check out our facebook page on our web site -- thanks ..terry and katya
Oakton, Va.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We just returned from another great stay at the Lookout Inn. This place oozes tropical relaxation. This is what you imagine when you plan a tropical vacation, gorgeous beach, warm water, and the most breathtaking tropical foliage you will ever see. Now imagine a room open to the rainforest full of monkeys, macaws, coatis, turtles, red eyed tree frogs, and an occasional tapir. It's like a fantasy!

This year we had the thrill of watching baby turtle hatchlings make their way to the ocean. What an experience!!!!

Terry and Katya are wonderful hosts, and make everyone feel special. They go that extra mile to make everyone's stay at the Inn an amazing adventure. We think of them as
family.

The food is delicious!!! Happy Hour is a special time at the Lookout. The beer is cold and the drinks are amazing! We even watched the Redskins Game right at the bar in the middle of the rainforest. We had to keep swatting the insects off the screen. What an experience!

Once you experience the Lookout Inn, you will return again and again. It's just that kind of place. Visit and you will see why everyone who visits returns. In the words of the Terminator," I Will Be Back!!!!!! "

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
hello virginia -- it was a pleasure again hosting and hanging out with you and your family again this season.. lets do it again ok?? all is well here at the lookout inn -- 88 ' F sunny and hot and still no tapir - but monkeys and scarlets all over the place -- check us out to on facebook lookout inn costa rica -- katya says hello and sends her love -- thanks again and have a great 2013 see ya next year for the pig bbq on the beach -- happy new years ... terry
Los Altos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I just returned from this beautiful and remote place. The Inn keepers are wonderful and generous people who made us feel special and very welcome. We saw monkeys, scarlet macaws, red-eyed tree frogs, many varieties of song birds and hummingbirds, released baby sea turtles with Katya and much more. The food was fresh, healthy and great tasting. They even kindly accommodated my special dietary needs (Gluten-free). It is well worth the trip.
~Simona

Room Tip: The Tiki rooms have a hot shower. :)