“Peace and quiet and rainforest adventure - One of the best places in all of Costa Rica” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lookout Inn Lodge

Special Price
Rainy Season Special
San Rafael
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

This now makes my 3rd trip to Lookout Inn. I stayed in 2006, 2007 and now 2013. I am a wildlife videographer and what drew me here originally was a recommendation from another Lookout Inn Guest - Roy T in 2006 (by the way thanks Roy!)

Can you imagine a Canadian boy in the cold north pouring over pictures of scarlet macaws and dreaming of one day seeing them in the wild and not knowing where to go to do so? That was me and Lookout Inn simply blew me away when I arrived! Here there were macaws everywhere! I spent hours and hours filming them and a childhood dream came true. You can see a clip here if you like

Lookout allowed me to have the adventure of a lifetime filming here! Not only this but on my first morning I was grinning sleepily as at 4 AM I woke to my first howler monkeys and later filmed my first toucans. Other amazing wildlife too! Turtles hatching and scurrying under my feet on the beach etc! Oh yeah and this trip in 2013 on my way to bed Terry the owner pointed out a huge Tapir - literally munching bananas about 20 feet from my doorstep!

As I am a bird guy Terry lined me up with local Tico guide Elias who who can show you the bird life there. Katya his wife is very kind and on arriving for my 3rd time (2013) gave me a hug just like a family member. The other thing I so so enjoy is meeting other people here. Within hours I feel at home and connected to other travelers.

If you are looking for pampered five star city hotels you may not appreciate Lookout Inn. But If you want remote beauty and more than adequate comfort this is the place. I still marvel at the solar set up and how on earth all of that great cooking can be done in such a remote area. Also I am puzzled why others don't enjoy the fun and challenge of rainforest travel over the jungle road to get here. For me that's part of the adventure of arriving to such a secluded spot!

I also like that at Lookout Inn you can do a scheduled horseback ride or other activity or simply - not. This time I chose to chill and birdwatch and just drink in the beauty of the area and do some filming. Great to be back Terr and Katya! I will be back again soon!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
hey don -- what a nice review thanks so much and we are always happy to see return guests -- must be doing something correct -this season alone we have about 21 guests coming back to the lookout inn - i asume its the great views -- the green lush rain forest that wraps around us and the pacific ocean only 150 feet away -- the wonderful staff - excellent all u can eat 7 course buffet meals - ocean sunsets - monkeys and scarlet macaws visiting us daily -- maybe a humbpack whale jumping out front - lagoon kayaking - walking the famous stair ways to Heaven -- the water falls -- and of course the 2 beautiful hosts.. thanks a million for hanging with us again ..see you again real soon... -- lookout inn team

260 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Salida, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We happened upon the Lookout Inn en route to a 3-day trek in Corcovado National Park. Once we arrived, excluding our trek, we never left. Each morning, we awoke before sunrise, raced up to the deck and drank the strong Costa Rican coffee waiting for us as dawn broke over the jungle. By 6:30 am, Katya (the co-owner) was nice enough to invite us on her morning sea turtle patrol. On those walks, we had the beach to ourselves, outside of 100's of baby sea turtles, numerous scarlet macaws and many other animals that live in the area. We brushed up on our spanish, learned about sea turtle ecology and made a really good friend.

Morning and afternoons were full of long hikes, ocean swimming, good books and naps. We saw every animal you can imagine. However, some of our favorite memories are watching monkeys from the Inn deck and our open-air hotel room (the "Monkey House"). Few things in life compare to watching the sun set over the Pacific Ocean and Corcovado National Park from the deck at the Lookout Inn. After spending the day alone together exploring the area, we really enjoyed the family style dinners and drinks.

The rooms are incredible (see website for pictures and other reviews for ideas).

Carate is a remote place. We checked out each of its 4 hotels during our vacation and spent a few nights in the park. While each hotel had something different to offer, the Lookout Inn felt like home to us - more like a family beach house or a bed and breakfast than a resort or hotel. The Lookout Inn has the best value for food, accommodations and activities in the area. The Lookout Inn does great job considering its distance from a commercial center. We ate each of the other hotels and can vouch for the Lookout Inn having the best food in Carate at a much better price.

The Lookout Inn and the Osa Peninsula are not for everyone. The experience is so special because of its remoteness. All of Carate is "off-the-grid" and runs on solar power, generators and wind power. If you are expecting to use the internet all day and sleep in an air-conditioned environment, you should strongly consider traveling elsewhere in Costa Rica (or maybe just go to Florida). This hotel is special because it does not have those things.

We will be back as soon as we are able. Many thanks to Terry, Katya and the Lookout crew for their hospitality! Be sure to get a drink at the Black Beach bar!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
hello mile high guests -- i assume its still cold in colorado yes?? still 88"F sunny & tropical here on carate beach osa p. the lookout inn-- katya wants to thank you 2 for sharing time with her on the beach with all those lil baby sea turtles .. you need to visit in aug - nov. and help her secure the nests after the moms lay all those eggs.. that is rewarding also -- again thanks for stopping in and hanging with the best beach rainforest lodge in carate or maybe on the osa yes??? and check out our facebook page on our web site -- thanks ..terry and katya
Oakton, Va.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We just returned from another great stay at the Lookout Inn. This place oozes tropical relaxation. This is what you imagine when you plan a tropical vacation, gorgeous beach, warm water, and the most breathtaking tropical foliage you will ever see. Now imagine a room open to the rainforest full of monkeys, macaws, coatis, turtles, red eyed tree frogs, and an occasional tapir. It's like a fantasy!

This year we had the thrill of watching baby turtle hatchlings make their way to the ocean. What an experience!!!!

Terry and Katya are wonderful hosts, and make everyone feel special. They go that extra mile to make everyone's stay at the Inn an amazing adventure. We think of them as
family.

The food is delicious!!! Happy Hour is a special time at the Lookout. The beer is cold and the drinks are amazing! We even watched the Redskins Game right at the bar in the middle of the rainforest. We had to keep swatting the insects off the screen. What an experience!

Once you experience the Lookout Inn, you will return again and again. It's just that kind of place. Visit and you will see why everyone who visits returns. In the words of the Terminator," I Will Be Back!!!!!! "

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
hello virginia -- it was a pleasure again hosting and hanging out with you and your family again this season.. lets do it again ok?? all is well here at the lookout inn -- 88 ' F sunny and hot and still no tapir - but monkeys and scarlets all over the place -- check us out to on facebook lookout inn costa rica -- katya says hello and sends her love -- thanks again and have a great 2013 see ya next year for the pig bbq on the beach -- happy new years ... terry
Los Altos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I just returned from this beautiful and remote place. The Inn keepers are wonderful and generous people who made us feel special and very welcome. We saw monkeys, scarlet macaws, red-eyed tree frogs, many varieties of song birds and hummingbirds, released baby sea turtles with Katya and much more. The food was fresh, healthy and great tasting. They even kindly accommodated my special dietary needs (Gluten-free). It is well worth the trip.
~Simona

Room Tip: The Tiki rooms have a hot shower. :)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
hello simona-- we all here at the lookout inn want to say thank you again- your group with roy toft was fantastic and we are so happy & glad you all had a wonderful time.. the scarlet macaws and monkeys are still visiting our lodge daily so is herba the wild scarlet -- he or she flys in 2 -3 times a day to eat & drink -- and that tapir has been by 2 times since you all left- he is looking for those cameras for that ''kodak moment'' -- enjoy 2013 and hope to see you again.. love to you katya -terry and the team
Ramona, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I've been going to LookOut Inn for several years now and always find it extremely relaxing, fun, and enjoyable. All the cabins and rooms are different, clean, and add a wonderful atmosphere of living in a tropical tree house! Thank you Terry and Katya for being wonderful hosts to my photo group...I'll see you next year!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
hello roy -- great having you all here again at the lookout inn -- the monkeys and scarlet macaws are still all over the place and that tapir has not shown his face here in a bit - food is still good as ever and katya is still sharing her love to all the guests and still taking care of lil baby sea turtles and nests tooooo -- a bit cloudy today had rain last nite which is a bit different for jan weather -- thanks again see ya next season... terry - katya and the team
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We just returned from a group photography trip to the Osa and the last two nights were spent at Lookout. Terry has created a unique environment with great imagination. We stayed at the top of the stairs in the Butterfly room which is open to the outdooors (a coati walked up the stairs while we are there) with netting around the bed. It is not the setting for those who are uncomfortable with the outdoors, but we thought that it was incredible to sleep right in the rain forest. The meals were delicious and bountiful--fresh mahi mahi with ginger was incredible--and special additions were made to accomodate the two gluten-free members of our group. Katya provided a highlight of our trip by taking us down to the beach to release two baby green turtles back to the sea. It was a magical moment. We saw all kinds of wildlife, and the macaws are indeed incredible in this area.

Addressing the poor review by Tripper--I don't know what you expected, but this inn is situated in a remote setting which is very hot and humid. I can't imagine how challenging it is to provide supplies enough to feed guests and do it so generously. Sometimes I think that people forget that they are in such a remote place. I found Terry and Katya to be very generous and quite honest. While our group was there, Terry changed sleeping arrangements for people upon request. I think that he would be very accomodating to any concerns that might come up if the guest mentions them while there. I would definitely go back...it was a hard place to leave!!

...Sharell Katibah

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
hello blue butterfly guests -- isn't that a wonderful name for such a beautiful cabin ?? this cabin is all open air sits up in the trees with the monkeys -birds and iguana.s and has fabulous ocean views - its tarzan & jane living -- and this photo group we had where all so perfect -- they all joined the famous roy toft photo work shop tour. roy has been visiting us for 7 years now - his web site can be found in my link section--

this group had 2 days of fantastic photo shots of 20 -30 different scarlet macaws -- we built an observation digital photo camera deck out on the roof just for scarlet pixs and star gazing tooo --this deck had 8 mega cameras with lens shooting birds all day -- i am hoping the rest of the group will ad photo..s -- we shall see -- and agian thanks for visitng us at the lookout inn carate beach osa peninsula -- see ya again.. terry katya and the team
Kingston, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We just enjoyed 7 days at The Lookout Inn - it was our 4th time there and our 5th to the Osa. The Lookout Inn provides an excellent location if you are looking for easy and perfect access to the beach as well as the rainforest. Corcovado National Park is an hour's walk down the beach, "door to door" from the Lookout Inn.
I found I could just hang out on the grounds and see spectacular wildlife and views without much effort. My 16 year old son and 10 year old niece got to see a tapir close up right by the Inn. Monkeys, birds, frogs, etc are always close by! We had a wonderful family experience being able to combine total relaxation with long & short hikes in the rainforest and walks on the beach or down the road. There was something for all of us to do individually or all together - or not do if we just wanted to be in the hammock and read a book or take a siesta! The Lookout Inn was a great place to meet all of our needs - with the youngest ages ranging from 10 yrs old & 16 yrs old to in the 30s, 40s & 50s (years of age).
Given the 2 hour long slow but visually stimulating ride from Puerto Jimenez to the Lookout Inn, I totally appreciate the efforts that Katya and Terry provide their guests. I love that the staff is friendly, the meals are prepared for us three times a day and are healthy, and the atmosphere is relaxed yet attentive- Pura Vida!
One of the aspects I most enjoy is breaking from the American norms of having to be constantly entertained or always have access to lots of food. I really enjoy knowing that there are three meals a day and I should appreciate and enjoy them- that's a refreshing break of American culture and the meals are satisfying and filling. I also enjoy just absolutely relaxing at the Lookout Inn too but if I want an adventure I can easily find it.
The remote location is pure bliss for me!
Its not your Disney vacation and its not for the picky or those that must be entertained or totally catered too, instead the Osa and the Lookout are a chance to completely embrace Pura Vida with wonderful accomodations, friendly staff, accomodating Inn keepers, tasty meals, and incredible access to nature. Prepare to walk up stairs as the location is on a hillside- I embrace it as great exercise and cardio workout - but you can take your time and enjoy the gardens that surround and enhance the landscape.
Terry and Katya are easy to speak with and I have seen them and expereinces them as having always been helpful, fun, accomodating, and honest over our 4 visits to us and to other guests. The staff is always friendly. I'll go back again and again, year after year, as long as I can!

Room Tip: Any of the open air rooms are amazing! I've peeked in all of the rooms- all offer something diff...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
hello susan -- is it snowing back home ???? its still sunny & hot here about 88 " F and wonderful guests enjoying carate beach -the monkeys and all the scarlet macaws -- our rez. ''TOM THE TAPIR'' has not been around for a few nites we all think he is eating banana.s some where else for a while-- he will be back -- and i assume so will you all -- not sure about that tippeee trippy mom though.

we just hada small lil wedding ceremony at the pool last nite at sun set 2 wonderful love birds from san fran and they are havinga grand ole time -- off to the waterfalls via the ''STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN'' mahi mahi with fresh ginger out of the garden for dinner and apple pie with ice cream ---- katya is doing well still helping all the guests with their needs -- she is on the beach again checking on the lil sea turtle babys -- we released 2 green turtle babys the other afternoon.. it was perfect and all the guest love it and are still smiling -- thank you so much and love to you all -- terry & katya -- your friends// family at the lookout inn

Been to Lookout Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!