“Wonderful Place and Staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Finca Exotica Ecolodge

You added Finca Exotica Ecolodge to your Saves list
Finca Exotica Ecolodge
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Osa Peninsula,on Carate beach next to Corcovado National Park | Osa Peninsula, on Carate beach next to Corcovado National Park, Carate, Corcovado National Park 706, Costa Rica   |
Announcement
Click for details
San Francisco, California
“Wonderful Place and Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

There are not enough superlatives for Finca Exotica. All aspects of our stay there were exceptional. The surroundings are beautiful, the architecture is simple and elegant, and above all is the helpful and friendly staff. They say Costa Ricans are among the happiest people on Earth. I think this may be doubly true of the staff at Finca Exotica.

A few tips: Purchase the meal plan. There are few alternatives for food in the area, and Finca's meals are made with fresh ingredients grown there on the farm and expertly prepared by talented and creative chefs. Check to see where your accommodation will be located. It could be in the garden which is flat, or on the side of the mountain which requires a strenuous hike. You need to be physically fit for this hike. You will find yourself showering in your private outdoor shower after hikes back to your cabin. This is quite refreshing and fun. In return for the uphill hike, you will be rewarded with a private retreat with a lovely view.

I am a surfer, but my girlfriend and I chose Finca Exotica for its charms that include its proximity to Corcovado National Park, which we toured with a private guide arranged by Finca. However, Playa Carate is a surfer's paradise that I had never heard of. Finca offers Boogie boards and fins and a soft top board, but if you are a serious surfer you will want a 'real' board to fully enjoy the waves at Carate. I was able to borrow a board from a fellow guest, who rented it from Jimenez. Carate offers very fun and consistent beach break as well as something priceless: zero crowds. I surfed in the mornings with no one else out in the water and no one on the beach. I would choose to visit Playa Carate again for its fun surf alone.

When you combine the spectacular location, beautiful grounds, friendly staff and service, many activities I have not even mentioned, with everything arranged by the very competent and Friendly staff, as well as the isolated surf, Finca Exotica is a great choice for your stay in Osa.

Room Tip: Some cabins are located up a mountain. Reaching these cabins requires a strenuous hike. The reward i...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Finca_Exotica, Propietario at Finca Exotica Ecolodge, responded to this review, September 20, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review! You are right, very little people know what a good surf there can be right in front of Finca Exotica! Carate is a magical place to ride the waves, whilst watching scarlet macaws and pelicans fly overhead, and dolphins and whales jump amongst the waves in the distance. An experience that all remember for life..... come back soon!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
New Paltz, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

DAD: This past April my family traveled to Fina Exotica and had the best time. The place was simply wonderful. Coco the chef served great meals and Marcus and Gabrielle made us feel at home. It is the jungle, so you must have a sense of adventure, but as my 10 year old said, "This place is in the jungle, but still feels like home."
The other highlight was all the wild life, Halloween crabs, monkeys, birds, snakes, insects, lizards, anteaters and the amazing views and crashing surf. The morning yoga was also terrific and I was sad when we had to leave. If your family likes adventure and getting away, this is a perfect place.
MOM: Didn't want to leave. It took a night to get used to sleeping exposed to the wilderness but then fell in love with all the sounds of nature. Looked forward to yoga with Jodi and the delicious afternoon teas. We really enjoyed Phoebes presentation on sea turtles and her garden tour.
Son 12: Everybody there was so friendly to show us around and it immediately made us feel at home. The food was so amazing and fresh I looked forward to the meals. The wildlife was awesome, and you could see all of it up close. The garden tour was great, and all of the plants they had were really cool. I really really hope I can go back there some day.
Son 10: Wild life was the best! We were living right in the jungle! Everyone was so nice.
Son 8: Wild life awesome! Everyone was nice! Great food and snacks!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
What lovely words to read from a lovely family! You were all great fun to have around, and it brings a big smile to all of our faces to read about how much each and every one of your family enjoyed Finca Exotica. We do our best to render a true and enjoyable jungle beach experience for all of our guests so it is a thrill to read that be successfully did so with you. Pura vida!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Off the beaten path, natural wildlife preserve, a haven for any type of traveler. Great for people looking to relax, for bird-watchers, for foodies, for sunbathers, for campers, for adventurers, for hikers, for off-roaders, for kayakers...pretty much everyone. Would recommend wholeheartedly to anyone looking to do something different.

Room Tip: (Note- no swimming pool or fitness center). All outdoor tents/rooms. No A/C. Definitely for the fre...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thanks for writing this review, Rima! Finca Exotica really does have a bit of something for everyone, and we love to invite people from all walks of life to enjoy this exotic paradise with us. We hope to see you again!
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I came to have an immersion in nature and wildlife and this did not disappoint. Oh look, the scarlet macaws are circling my cabana, and this is one of the few places in the world that their populations are increasing. We were in "Mango" and slept to the roar of the ocean between two hillsides of rainforest. To get the most out of this place I think one should really be prepared to do some vigorous hikes, tolerate a few bug bites, and take a one-temperature shower. Then prepare yourself for the best food in Costa Rica - I'm not even kidding. It was great to meet up for meals at Casa Grande for thoughtfully prepared meals and visit with the others about the days adventures. This place challenged me to let go of my life back home and within a couple hours I was "in the rainforest". When I was weary I grabbed some drinks and slung a hammock between a couple of palms on the one of the most beautiful beaches I have been- completely alone; well me and the monkeys.

Room Tip: We had mango-up the hill. This was right for us, romantic and isolated with a fantastic view and oce...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Your words are inspiring, thank you very much for sharing your experience! Finca Exotica is a great place to let go and connect to nature- you definitely did, and we hope you choose to do it again in the not so far future- you are always welcome back! Pura vida from your Finca family....
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

To stay at Finca Exotica is to immerse yourself in a truly unique and special place.

Firstly one must consider that Finca was not designed to be a commercial hotel, like so many other establishments. Rather it was carefully designed by Marcus, a visionary architect, to be a place for people from all walks of life to come together and simply be happy. The passion and care taken in creating and running this place is clearly evident from the moment you arrive, from the beautiful grounds to the warm welcome from the staff who instantly treat you like family. Truly there is no way to describe such a place, but my stay has inspired me to try so that you as a fellow traveller might come and discover the magic for yourself.

The rainforest of Costa Rica and it’s wealth of amazing wildlife is truly spectacular to behold, and Finca Exotica facilitates this perfectly. There were always experienced local guides to hand, who seemed to have an intimate knowledge of the ecosystem and the astounding ability to spot even the most cryptic of species. I loved hiking the many jungle trails, kayaking on the lagoon, and visiting Corcovado National Park. I really felt like I was able to get close to nature and encounter animals too wonderful and numerous to describe. As an environmental scientist I lost all scientific objectivity and experienced pure joy when, drinking lemongrass tea on the viewing platform at the main house, I was able to spot seven different species of tropical bird. I saw Golden Hooded Tanagers, Blue Dacnis, Grey Palm Tanagers, Cherrie’s Tanagers, Golden-naped Woodpeckers, Red Legged Honeycreepers and Bannanaquits flitting about in the palm trees just above my head! Just by being at Finca it is hard not to be fascinated and fall in love with nature.

The food was delicious and clearly lovingly prepared by Coco and Tomas (the resident chefs). The dishes I had always included a range of fantastic exotic fruits and vegetables from in the garden. I would highly recommend taking a guided garden tour as it’s just fascinating to learn about all of the different types of plants- there are a large number of fruits and berries growing around the lodges and tiki tents, and you can pick and eat them as you’re walking around during the day which is something I found unique and really fun!

Creativity in all its forms is actively encouraged. There is a well stocked library of books, so you’re never short of anything to read. I am also an artist and I found plenty of creative inspiration, painting on the deck with a view of the ocean and playing the musical instruments that are free to use at the main house. Everyone usually sits together during meal times, and there was always stimulating conversation and ambiance.

By coming here you will not experience a generic and impersonal service dictated by a corporate marketing strategy, nor will you find a clinically clean and controlled environment. What you will find is character, adventure and a family of passionate staff who will welcome you and make sure you have a wonderful experience. I cannot recommend staying at Finca Exotica highly enough. By being there good things happen.

Thank you Gabby and Marcus for a wonderful stay! I will be coming back!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Thank you very much for your kind words, Rebecca! We absolutely loved having you here with us, taking it all in. You are a wonderful artist and we enjoyed seeing your new pieces each day. You are very talented, and Finca Exotica awaits your return to paint even more beautiful pieces!
Puerto Jimenez
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Last Thursday I married my best friend on Playa Carate in front of Finca Exotica. I didn't have to do anything except relax and get myself ready that morning! I simply told the resident florist more or les what I wanted and never even went down to the beach to see what they had done. My now husband created a rock heart with spirals for the ceremony the day before. When I walked down to the beach with my parents accompanying me I could not believe how the Finca Team transformed the already beautiful beach setting into a radiant setting that exuded peace and love. They had put up flowers all around and created an intimate setting with wooden benches and palm leaves. After the wedding they helped us roast our food over coals. In the afternoon everyone napped and then in the evening they put on an AMAZING and DELICIOUS dinner that was followed by hours of dancing, fun, laughing and PURE BLISS. Thank you so much for making our day so dreamlike, your team truly puts their hearts into what they do ;)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Finca_Exotica, Propietario at Finca Exotica Ecolodge, responded to this review, September 19, 2014
Thank you so much for letting us be such a special part of your big day! We loved organizing your wedding, it was a real pleasure. Carate is such a beautiful and romantic place, there really is not a better spot for saying the ´I do´s´ than here, so we are glad you did it! Why not come back for your 1 year anniversary, it would be wonderful to see you again! Pura vida, love from your Finca family...........
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

I loved the place it is very beautyfull and the Bungalows are awesome. The Staff is super sweet, friendly and helpfull. The food was excellent and yoga classes really relaxing. We had the 2 bedroom Bungalow (1 Queen and the other 2 single beds). Showering "in the free" was an additional special to our stay.

• Stayed April 2014
Finca_Exotica, Owner at Finca Exotica Ecolodge, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Finca Exotica misses you guys very much! Thanks for the review, it is very much appreciated. Please come back when you can- Pura vida!

Been to Finca Exotica Ecolodge? Share your experiences!