“I fell in love” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Finca Exotica Ecolodge

You added Finca Exotica Ecolodge to your Saves list
Finca Exotica Ecolodge
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Osa Peninsula,on Carate beach next to Corcovado National Park | Osa Peninsula, on Carate beach next to Corcovado National Park, Carate, Corcovado National Park 706, Costa Rica   |
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
“I fell in love”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

To stay at Finca Exotica is to immerse yourself in a truly unique and special place.

Firstly one must consider that Finca was not designed to be a commercial hotel, like so many other establishments. Rather it was carefully designed by Marcus, a visionary architect, to be a place for people from all walks of life to come together and simply be happy. The passion and care taken in creating and running this place is clearly evident from the moment you arrive, from the beautiful grounds to the warm welcome from the staff who instantly treat you like family. Truly there is no way to describe such a place, but my stay has inspired me to try so that you as a fellow traveller might come and discover the magic for yourself.

The rainforest of Costa Rica and it’s wealth of amazing wildlife is truly spectacular to behold, and Finca Exotica facilitates this perfectly. There were always experienced local guides to hand, who seemed to have an intimate knowledge of the ecosystem and the astounding ability to spot even the most cryptic of species. I loved hiking the many jungle trails, kayaking on the lagoon, and visiting Corcovado National Park. I really felt like I was able to get close to nature and encounter animals too wonderful and numerous to describe. As an environmental scientist I lost all scientific objectivity and experienced pure joy when, drinking lemongrass tea on the viewing platform at the main house, I was able to spot seven different species of tropical bird. I saw Golden Hooded Tanagers, Blue Dacnis, Grey Palm Tanagers, Cherrie’s Tanagers, Golden-naped Woodpeckers, Red Legged Honeycreepers and Bannanaquits flitting about in the palm trees just above my head! Just by being at Finca it is hard not to be fascinated and fall in love with nature.

The food was delicious and clearly lovingly prepared by Coco and Tomas (the resident chefs). The dishes I had always included a range of fantastic exotic fruits and vegetables from in the garden. I would highly recommend taking a guided garden tour as it’s just fascinating to learn about all of the different types of plants- there are a large number of fruits and berries growing around the lodges and tiki tents, and you can pick and eat them as you’re walking around during the day which is something I found unique and really fun!

Creativity in all its forms is actively encouraged. There is a well stocked library of books, so you’re never short of anything to read. I am also an artist and I found plenty of creative inspiration, painting on the deck with a view of the ocean and playing the musical instruments that are free to use at the main house. Everyone usually sits together during meal times, and there was always stimulating conversation and ambiance.

By coming here you will not experience a generic and impersonal service dictated by a corporate marketing strategy, nor will you find a clinically clean and controlled environment. What you will find is character, adventure and a family of passionate staff who will welcome you and make sure you have a wonderful experience. I cannot recommend staying at Finca Exotica highly enough. By being there good things happen.

Thank you Gabby and Marcus for a wonderful stay! I will be coming back!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Finca_Exotica, Propietario at Finca Exotica Ecolodge, responded to this review, September 20, 2014
Thank you very much for your kind words, Rebecca! We absolutely loved having you here with us, taking it all in. You are a wonderful artist and we enjoyed seeing your new pieces each day. You are very talented, and Finca Exotica awaits your return to paint even more beautiful pieces!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Puerto Jimenez
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Last Thursday I married my best friend on Playa Carate in front of Finca Exotica. I didn't have to do anything except relax and get myself ready that morning! I simply told the resident florist more or les what I wanted and never even went down to the beach to see what they had done. My now husband created a rock heart with spirals for the ceremony the day before. When I walked down to the beach with my parents accompanying me I could not believe how the Finca Team transformed the already beautiful beach setting into a radiant setting that exuded peace and love. They had put up flowers all around and created an intimate setting with wooden benches and palm leaves. After the wedding they helped us roast our food over coals. In the afternoon everyone napped and then in the evening they put on an AMAZING and DELICIOUS dinner that was followed by hours of dancing, fun, laughing and PURE BLISS. Thank you so much for making our day so dreamlike, your team truly puts their hearts into what they do ;)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Finca_Exotica, Propietario at Finca Exotica Ecolodge, responded to this review, September 19, 2014
Thank you so much for letting us be such a special part of your big day! We loved organizing your wedding, it was a real pleasure. Carate is such a beautiful and romantic place, there really is not a better spot for saying the ´I do´s´ than here, so we are glad you did it! Why not come back for your 1 year anniversary, it would be wonderful to see you again! Pura vida, love from your Finca family...........
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

I loved the place it is very beautyfull and the Bungalows are awesome. The Staff is super sweet, friendly and helpfull. The food was excellent and yoga classes really relaxing. We had the 2 bedroom Bungalow (1 Queen and the other 2 single beds). Showering "in the free" was an additional special to our stay.

• Stayed April 2014
Finca_Exotica, Owner at Finca Exotica Ecolodge, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Finca Exotica misses you guys very much! Thanks for the review, it is very much appreciated. Please come back when you can- Pura vida!
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Finca Exotica is a very special place, set in its own extensive plot of virgin rain forest, tumbling down to a wild Pacific beach. We stayed six nights and loved feeling close to the rich variety of life around us. We enjoyed the imaginative meals prepared from fresh organic ingredients from the garden. We particularly enjoyed the communal dining experience, a chance to meet new people from around the world.

Finca staff were all really friendly and helpful. Thank you Gaby for all your help organising tours and transport and thank you Markus and Coco for the great food AND introducing us to the nutrient rich and life enhancing Noni fruit. We haven't been the same since!!

Top tip: FE is not for everyone. Do your research and read the information on the hotel website.

If you want air con, wi-fi, hot showers and hair dryers, you won't be happy here but if you want a fabulous, eco-friendly, comfortable lodge in a stunning rainforest setting, this is it !!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review! We are very fortunate to live in such a beautiful place, and we are even more fortunate to be able to share the experience with wonderful people like you! More noni fruit awaits you on your return- we made a delicious blend with watermelon and cinnamon this morning- a great way to start the day! Hope to see you soon!
Lyon, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Woaw .... what an amazing expérience ...

If you ever go to Costa Rica... you definetely NEED to go to Finca Exotica Eco Lodge....

Everything is perfect in this place, the landscape (in the the jungle and 200m from the nicest beach you'll ever seen), the peoples (Gabriela, Marcus and Coco are juste sooooo cool, friendly, easy talking, good adviser... we enjoyed every second with you), the FOOD !!!!! (everything is organic, well cooked by the chief Coco, so tasty ...), you're ranchito room is just amazing, everything is open to the nature (and you're shower under the starlights <3) etc etc ...

We spend the most amazing week there, it was a real life changing experience and we definitely will comeback ! Don't change anything you're perfect.

See you next summer :p

Martin

Room Tip: Ranchito's room are just amazing.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Finca_Exotica, Owner at Finca Exotica Ecolodge, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Thanks Martin for your great and succinct review! You are always welcome back, we hope to see you again soon! Please remember to tell your friends about www.fincaexotica.com ! Pura vida!
Shawnee, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

I stayed at Finca Exotica for a more extended period of time and absolutely LOVED it. The property is beautiful - I loved the outdoor showers, tents and cabins, and open-air restaurant ("Casa Grande"). The atmosphere is really comfortable - I felt at home very quickly! I think this was especially the case because of the staff - very friendly and accommodating. The food is INCREDIBLE. The kitchen is open so you can watch Coco, Tomas and Gaby cook - it's really fun to see how they prepare the meals (from many ingredients harvested on the property!). Finca is environmentally conscious as well - very low impact in terms of energy usage and waste (they compost and have pigs to feed leftovers to) - which I appreciate as a traveler. Keep in mind that Finca is a good place to relax, but that means being able to unplug during your stay :) It is easy to get a guided hike into Corcovado from there in addition to hiking the trails on the property or exploring the gorgeous beach. It's a great place to enjoy nature, good food and good company!

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Thank you very much for your kind words! We LOVE cooking here at Finca Exotica, check out our new cooking video on our website www.fincaexotica.com when you have the time- You can practice the recipe at home! Pura vida, see you again soon!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

My girlfriend and I spent six amazing nights here. We are New Yorkers seeking off the beaten path relaxing adventures and certainly found one. This place was tranquility in every sense. The owner, whom is a prior German architect, designed the entire place and is there overseeing that everything is done to perfection. The tiki tents, cabins, beach house, yoga platform and bar/restaurant area are amazingly well thought out and beautiful. There are random eclectic books and objects strewn about, I sometimes thought I was in a cool Brooklyn hot spot or vintage store. My girlfriend manages a high end restaurant here in NYC and we both agreed that the food was amazing. They even catered specially to her vegetarian diet as well.

We stayed in both Tiki Tents and Cabana (Bamboo named one?). Our intention was to stay in a Cabana the entire time, however they became booked even 4 months in advance. Some folks said they had to book different Cabinas during their stay, likely because the lodge requires no minimum length of stay and that causes single night lodgers. The Tiki tent was certainly much better then a standard camping tent. It's on a bamboo/teak platform, covered in a secondary thatched roof and one can stand up inside. The showers/bathroom in that sense are sense are shared among two tiki tents, however are designed very beautifully. The outdoor restroom and showers were in meticulous condition and it was a trip using them. I think the Tiki tents are great for a budget.

The cabana was the best. It offered a queen bed with mosquito netting, two chars to read at and candles all over the room. It looked amazing both at night and during the day. The attached bathroom and shower was a plus as well. As a younger couple on holiday, we enjoyed the cabana more then the tiki tent. Although double in price, this was the lodging highlight.

The dinging area, bar, lounging area, deck and disco ball dance floor are all up on a platform overlooking the jungle's tree canopy. When we were done adventuring, we spent a lot of relaxing time up here with other guests. The view was great, there were many hammocks, chairs, books and other guests to talk to if you decide to. At night, this almost resembled a covered thatched roof polynesian tiki bar with a good view on a open deck for the stars. There is a yoga platform higher up on the hill from here and it has a great view to the ocean. We spent quite a deal of time up here when staying in the Tiki Tent. It provides similar comforts as the private cabana, however in a more shared space.

Looking at pictures of the beaches in Carate, I was expecting very little for beach / swim time. Despite the dark volcanic sand, the beach was one of the most amazing ever. It's extremely secluded and has the best sunset I have ever seen in my life (picture attached). There are many hammocks and chairs down there to lounge. The sound of the waves breaking in a hammock was relaxing. They have boogie boards which get excellent rides into shore. Swimming really is only good at low to mid tide, so watch the tide chart to avoid rip currents. We went in swimming closer to high tide and did have a moment where we had to watch ourselves. I would avoid swimming too intoxicated here. We went on a private Kayak trip at a nearby lagoon which was also quite amazing. The guide was a biologist, originally from London, helping restore sea turtle hatching in the area. She helped us spot numerous wildlife and even crocodiles! I brought a pair of birding binoculars and they came in handy here.

We took a taxi here from Puerto Jimenez, however note that there is an airfield with a small single engine prop plane walking distance. If in a time crunch, I would chose that route perhaps one way and take the 4x4 taxi the other way.

I wanted to stay longer here and will consider visiting again.

Room Tip: Cabanas may suit certain couples.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Your Finca family very much appreciates you taking the time to write this very thorough and enlightening review- muchas gracias! You are right, our cabanas and tikitents do offer different experiences and we are very happy you got to try out the two  We do our very best to make sure that we render a true jungle experience to our visitors and we are glad to hear how much you guys enjoyed yourself! Come back soon!

Been to Finca Exotica Ecolodge? Share your experiences!