“felt like I was imposing on the staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Finca Exotica Ecolodge

Save Saved
You added Finca Exotica Ecolodge to your Saves list
Finca Exotica Ecolodge
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Osa Peninsula,on Carate beach next to Corcovado National Park | Osa Peninsula, on Carate beach next to Corcovado National Park, Carate, Corcovado National Park 706, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Keswick, ON
“felt like I was imposing on the staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We arrived at Finca for 3 nights prior to our hike into Corcavado Park. Upon arrival we were shown to our tent with a platform porch. We were pleased with the tent, however surprisingly, 2 teeth were missing from the zipper and the zipper kept spitting. I thought this should have been inspected prior to our arrival. My husband repaired the tent on the first night with duct tape. The next day, the staff thankfully replaced the tent entirely.
The 1st 4 meals were entirely disappointing with extremely small portions. I was actually shocked on morning one to receive a plate with small portion of scrambled eggs, 1 slice of tomato and small slice of avocado. There was no offer from staff forthcoming for seconds and no one dared to ask. The 8 people who sat together at dinner and quietly gossipped agreed that the staff were standoffish and distant.
On day 2, I stood at the bar for 5 minutes waiting for help while one of the staff had a personal conversation with a family member without acknowledging me. I found this very rude.
On our last day, the regular chef arrived back after 2 days off and there was a huge improvement in the food, portion size, quality etc. We were thrilled, however disappointed that for 2 days, we had been famished.
I would suggest that more torches be put up on the pathways, given that no hydro was available to the tents on the grounds and it was very dark by 6 PM. This would have made things a bit better.
The showers and toilets were very clean and the communal deck was beautiful.
Gratefully, after flying back from Corcavado, the owner transported our bags and ID to the Puerto Jimenez airstrip, 48 km's away.
I really think Finca could have done better.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Finca_Exotica, Owner at Finca Exotica Ecolodge, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review, we do appreciate feedback. We appreciate you commenting on the cleanliness of the showers and toilets, as well as the beauty of the deck area. We also appreciate you mentioning that we took your luggage back to Puerto Jimenez for you at no cost after the unfortunate accident you had in Corcovado. We hope you are well recovered!
With regards to the tikitent situation: the teeth were not missing before you arrived- all of the tikitents and cabinas are checked over before the arrival of guests and your tent, Higa, was absolutely fine. However, with one hard pull on the tikitent, like with any zipper, teeth can come away. We did not cover any damage costs to you and your husband for this. One of our staff members offered to move you to a diifferent tikitent but you didn’t want to move. We also sent another staff member over to your tent, once you had decided not move, to repair the tent- your husband wanted to fix it by himself. As soon as you came to breakfast the day after, we told you that the tikitent would be changed completely since you didn’t want to move. I am explaining all of this as I feel you have portrayed us in a bad light in a situation where we did everything possible for you.
With regards to the food: You and your husband asked for seconds at every single meal, even for deserts. There is always extras on the tables, and everyone else was satisfied with what we gave. Even after you both had seconds, we still gave more food. We are very sorry you still felt hungry. All of our chefs are well aware of serving sizes, not just the chef you mention who came back from his free days towards the end of your stay.
Our staff are very approachable. We actually received complaints from various staff members that you were extremely discourteous to them. Even our volunteers were upset with your attitude and how you spoke to them.
Thank you very much for your recommendation about lighting. Just to explain briefly, we do not have huge lights on the trails, just the small solar lamps, because we are very respectful of the nature here. We do not want to scare away wildlife by blinding path lights, that is not what we are about. All guests prior to arrival are told to bring one flashlight per person. The purpose of this is so that you can walk along the paths at night without the need of big path lamps. We are an eco lodge, we care about the environment and conserving energy. We have flashlights for sale in our shop but you chose not to buy one.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

we just returned from finca exotica where we stayed during winter break - we were 2 families, parents and 5 teenagers between us. this spot is literally paradise. staying in the jungle, living in lovely thatched roof cabins, listening to the monkeys and birds, eating the most delicious food, meeting interesting people, relaxing on the most exquisite, pristine beach, swimming in the warm water, watching the dramatic sunsets...i could go on...rainforest hike to the waterfall...did i mention the delicious, best meals? in the beginning, the teenagers grumbled big time about the lack of electricity and internet. by the time we left, they were bragging about how easy (and cool) it was to do without. if you're looking for a true escape from the noise and glare of western culture, then this is your place. if you're looking for air-conditioning, infinity pools, flat screens and turn down service, go elsewhere. i feel happy just knowing this place exists in the universe. everyone there was lovely and accommodating, helpful and gracious. we can't wait to return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Finca_Exotica, Owner at Finca Exotica Ecolodge, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
And we can’t wait to have you back! Thank you very much for writing a review of your time here at Finca Exotica, we really do appreciate it, especially so that future guests can see what others have to say about their time here. Thank you again and pura vida!
Managua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

When we ask our 2 girls (age 5 and 9) what they liked best about our Costa Rica vacation they both agree - it was our stay at Finca Exotica. And we had been to several other National Parks and beautiful Lodges before..... What is so special about it? The combination of the most beaufiful setting between Jungle and Beach, the people (great team-spirit, make you feel at home and truly care about the place and their guests), the striking bamboo-architecture, the food (amazingly creative and delicious cooking with home-grown foods) and I could go on and on..... However, if you ask our kids they will tell you that they simply enjoyed to play "jungle-kid" all day, spotting animals they only knew from books (like macaws and monkeys) right next to our cabin and building a dam at the little creek on the property... We feel Finca Exotica is excellent for a relaxed family vacation and the trip there on the bumpy road crossing rivers is already part of the adventure. We stayed in a tent for 1 night and then in the Ylang-Ylang-Cabin, wich has the perfect size for a family with 2 separate rooms, lounge-deck, bathroom and outdoor shower (shower and look at the stars!). The New Years party with the other guests, staff and friends of Finca Exotica was also a most memorable event. So if you go, simply leave your I-Pad at home, slow down and indulge. This is what we did and it became a very enriching family experience.

Room Tip: Ylang-Ylang-Cabin is great for families!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We certainly did celebrate new years eve in style! Thank you so much for sharing time with us on your family vacations- you were real pleasures to have here. Carate is a great place for kids to enjoy, especially because of all of the animals- I am sure they will remember this holiday for a long time to come! Thank you for taking the time to write a review and please keep in touch! The Osa misses you all!
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Yes the roads are kind of crazy to traverse, yes it will take you longer then you ever thought possible to go the short 40 -50 kms from Puerto Jiminez but it's well worth it. And yes you will question where the road went and why there are rivers in the way...just forge ahead! My boyfriend and I stayed here Dec 3-8th, it was amazing. If you expect an upscale mexico resort this is not for you, as an eco lodge you will need a flashlight and some hiking shoes or crocs but how can you compare that to a beach all to yourself...literally I went out by the hammocks in the morning and it was just me and the hermit crabs on the beach as far as I could see and all the amazing animals. I'm a picky eater but with few exceptions I found the food to be really delicious even the meals that didn't have meat were great. I'm unable to eat flour and they made sure to make small changes necessary so that I could enjoy almost everything as well. We also highly recommended Erik our guide into Corcovado park, my boyfriend also went fishing with him the day before with his friends and was really stoked about it. Thanks to all the staff including Phoebe who lent us her phone because we didn't have watches or phones so we could get up for our early hike and all the other great people at Finca. I completely disagree with the one person who posted negative comments they sound like they were somewhere totally different. We had an amazing time, this is definetely for the more outdoorsy types but it is just incredible, you won't regret it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi there! Thank you very much for writing a review of your time here at Finca Exotica- we love being so far out, that’s why we only get the guests that really want to come  Erick is a really great guide, it’s wonderful that you got to spend various days with him- we couldn’t ask for a better guide here! The beach is still deserted, the food is still delicious and the staff are still so fab so we hope that you come back soon!
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

If I had to think about something I didnt like at Finca Exotica, i'd still be thinking. Everything was just great, from the trip from Puerto Jimenez airport to the lodge, to the hikes in the jungles, the animals all over, the scenery, and of course, the staff. It is not a hotel over there, it is a family atmosphere.
The chef is worth 3 stars, the food is amazing, the lodge is in a magnificent garden, the guide is awesome, everybody is kind, there for you, sharing their passion for Costa Rica, teaching you about everything you want to know.
I travel a lot for work, all over the world, and Finca Exotica is definitely at the top of my list. So go there, stop looking for a place to stay, you found it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your kind words! We work hard to render our guests a great jungle experience and we are very happy that you enjoyed your time so much here! We loved having you stay at Finca Exotica and hope to see you again in the (not-so-far) future!
University Place, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Imagine you are in the jungle staying peacefully with nature. To get there you spent 2 hours and crossed 5 rivers on the collectativa. There are no big hotels, few places at all, and hardly any people…. and kilometers of black sand beaches. The food was organic and excellent most of it grown on site and the staff made you feel, like you never wanted to leave. The cabins are clean and open to the environment; the architecture is out of sight and is congruent with nature. The shower is outside and perfect for setting. Wildlife surrounds you, macaws, toucans and 4 species of monkeys just to name a few. They have a resident taiper and we saw green and olive ridley turtles.
We are looking forward to visiting again as soon as possible. 10 plus!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Finca_Exotica, Owner at Finca Exotica Ecolodge, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thanks for the 10 plus! We are really privileged here at Finca Exotica that we can grow a lot of our own food which is why we make the most of it. You had some great animal sightings whilst here, we hope that these memories that you share will stay with you forever! We look forward to seeing you gain hopefully next year! Pura vida!
Brunswick, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Finca Exotica has been my home away from home for the second year in a row. I have stayed here for several weeks, patrolling the beaches of Carate for sea turtle nests, as part of international work collaboration with Osa Conservation and the newly-formed COTORCO sea turtle project. The area is secluded and not at all touristy, but easy to get to, providing the perfect balance of local community and nature. I have stayed a wide variety of accommodations, including several of the cabins and tents, and they are all wonderful. The owners are very well-cultured people, who are excited to share a plethora of knowledge and love of sustainable architecture, life-styles, food, and health. The cuisine is unique and I have never experienced a place that offers such a fresh and diverse array of meals before. Almost everything is grown organically right on sight, or locally acquired. You can view the ocean straight from Casa Grande (the restaurante and bar), and the beach is just a short hop across the road. Although I have only stayed here during the low season, when they are closed most of the time, I have enjoyed a few weekends with guests and other volunteers from around the world, who have expressed as much enjoyment in this place as I have. I am ecstatic to have returned, and it has been wonderful to see the friendly smiling faces of the people I know who work here. Should I return to Costa Rica for any reason in the future (which I will, of course), this is where I want to be!

Room Tip: The cabins on the hill have the best view of the ocean, but are quite the hike! The tents are cozy...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
What kind words! You are always welcome back- we really hope that it will become THREE years in a row. We love to have volunteers like yourself here at Finca Exotica during the low season and as you know we are more than happy to support the local conservation projects. Long live the turtles!

Been to Finca Exotica Ecolodge? Share your experiences!