We arrived at Finca for 3 nights prior to our hike into Corcavado Park. Upon arrival we were shown to our tent with a platform porch. We were pleased with the tent, however surprisingly, 2 teeth were missing from the zipper and the zipper kept spitting. I thought this should have been inspected prior to our arrival. My husband repaired the tent on the first night with duct tape. The next day, the staff thankfully replaced the tent entirely.
The 1st 4 meals were entirely disappointing with extremely small portions. I was actually shocked on morning one to receive a plate with small portion of scrambled eggs, 1 slice of tomato and small slice of avocado. There was no offer from staff forthcoming for seconds and no one dared to ask. The 8 people who sat together at dinner and quietly gossipped agreed that the staff were standoffish and distant.
On day 2, I stood at the bar for 5 minutes waiting for help while one of the staff had a personal conversation with a family member without acknowledging me. I found this very rude.
On our last day, the regular chef arrived back after 2 days off and there was a huge improvement in the food, portion size, quality etc. We were thrilled, however disappointed that for 2 days, we had been famished.
I would suggest that more torches be put up on the pathways, given that no hydro was available to the tents on the grounds and it was very dark by 6 PM. This would have made things a bit better.
The showers and toilets were very clean and the communal deck was beautiful.
Gratefully, after flying back from Corcavado, the owner transported our bags and ID to the Puerto Jimenez airstrip, 48 km's away.
I really think Finca could have done better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Finca Exotica eco lodge is a Wildlife Refuge property in this pristine area of Costa Rica, and the closest place to Corcovado National Park accessible by car.Our beach lodge is equipped to meet all of your needs – be it a romantic couple’s escape, a group retreat, a professional conference or a family vacation. Our facilities surround our central meeting place, Casa Grande, which hosts the organic food restaurant with a communal dining table and stretches out to an amphitheater suited for presentations and lectures by day and dance parties by night. Between them is the bar and together they all encompass the terrace where you can lounge under the open sky or swing in a hamock in the shades of almond trees, while Scarlett Macaws are feeding on them. Tents, cabins, rentals and other facilities stem out from this centerpiece to provide easy access near the beach, an isolated meditation ambiance and quaint trails that lead you through the labyrinth of exotic plant life. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Tingo, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Venere so you can book your Finca Exotica Ecolodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Finca Exotica Hotel Carate
- Finca Exotica Ecolodge Costa Rica/Carate