“Pure Nature, pura vida” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Finca Exotica

Save Saved
You added Finca Exotica to your Saves list
Finca Exotica
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   on Carate beach next to Corcovado National Park, Carate, Corcovado National Park, Costa Rica   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Belp, Bern, Switzerland
“Pure Nature, pura vida”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Off the grid, 100% nature. We had a cabin up the hill from the "casa grande". The view to the pacific was unbelievable. We could hear the wildlife 24 hrs/day, as well as the crash of the waves on the beach. Our cabin was isolated enough that we never saw anyone while there. The main house with restaurant, bar and lookout platform was designed very well and fits perfectly with the philosophy of the owner, Markus. Eco-tourism at its purest. Natural energy, organic garden which was used every day in the cooking. The staff were very friendly and we could even help with some turtle rescue work. Erik the guide is a great guy!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Finca_Exotica, Owner at Finca Exotica, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. You were absolute pleasures to host and we very much enjoyed spending time with you in the evenings at Casa Grande. We try our best to render a perfect jungle experience to our guests and are very content to know that we succeeded with you!

182 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Technically, Finca Exotica was closed when my 12-year-old son and I visited as volunteers for the sea turtle program. We were wet, dirty and well hiked by the time we arrived, and we thought we'd found paradise: a remote, off-the-grid, unspoiled destination where you could practice yoga and sleep in open air casita. No one spends time with a phone in hand, but stays busy participating in nature.
Finca Exotica is a couple of bumpy hours by colectivo from the nearest town, but it feels like a different world. We were greeted by Phoebe, who runs the turtle program, and she instantly began a tour of the garden's fascinating edible fruits and medicinal plants. Each meal was an event. It wasn't unusual to be entertained by a family of Capuchin monkeys during breakfast, and Scarlet Macaws populated the otherwise isolated beach. Nighttime stargazing was so spectacular, we almost missed our main event: a massive 350 lb Pacific Green turtle nesting.
I'll remember Finca Exotica as the place where I was showered in black sand from the flipper of this awe-inspiring, endangered turtle. Architect/founder Markus Wehrmeister has done an impressive job of demonstrating how we can aspire to live in harmony with nature, taking no more than what we need. But as my son and I were preparing to leave, we learned that up to 1,000 turtle eggs had been poached the night before. In a country where eco-tourism is so important, I'd encourage future guests to learn about programs like Finca Exotica's turtle volunteerism/education so that amazing experiences like the one we had will remain viable.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for your review! We absolutely loved having you both here for the volunteer program. We are very content to hear that you found your paradise here in Costa Rica at Finca Exotica…we really hope you can come back to help more of our sea turtles! Pura vida
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We were road tripping around Costa Rica and Finca was definitely one of the highlights of our trip. The staff was genuinely friendly and laid back. Marcus, Gabby, Phoebe, and the agriculture lady (can't recall her name...Sharon maybe) were great hosts. They really seemed to enjoy guests and we learned a lot from them and had some very interesting conversations. I have an interest in growing fruit trees and Finca was just the perfect fit for me in this respect.

Corcovado and the whole area in general is just amazing and the crazy road to Carate is so much fun. Fording the rivers and taking full advantage of the 4 wheel drive is a great adventure. The animals in this area are super interesting and hearing the macaws squawk and play in the trees was really a treat. Troops of monkeys swing through the property on a regular basis and toucans come and eat the bananas.

We were able to get two good day hikes in, one to La Leona station and one on the trails behind Finca. Finca has a lot of property and it runs right up the mountain. I really appreciate being able to go on adventures right outside my bedroom door.

The food was very good and the constructions on the property were very well done. Marcus is quite the architect and the solar power and water turbine power are really neat. Bathrooms are very nice and clean.

Okay, so I do have some small complaints, but I'd like to frame these more as suggestions rather than genuine problems.

Slippery trails: We had one of the cabins that was the highest up the hill on the property and the trail to it was fairly steep and it rains there a lot. Given that the ground there is red clay this path was dangerously slippery. I play soccer and I'm very nimble so if that walk gave me concern I imagine it would be terrifying for any elderly people or even someone who is a little overweight or out of shape. I think something needs to be done to make it safer. They already put gravel on it but it seems to get washed away, so I'm not really sure what the solution is. Rock steps, a little concrete, rails maybe, drainage?

Option for more light in the rooms: I would have liked to have a brighter light in my room to be able to see in my suitcase better at night etc. I know they don't want guests seeing others lights so they could place it carefully to be blocked from others views. A 60W equivalent CFL carefully placed would have done it without using much power. Candles are romantic but probably really not that "green" because they get used up so quickly and take energy to create.

Price: Finca like everything else in Carate is a bit pricey. We only stayed one night but managed to really get two days out of it. I'd still say its worth it and I might even go there for more nights at sometime in the future, but for a family of four it gets expensive real fast. Considering 5 star all inclusive resorts cost about the same, and at Finca you will be sleeping in a tent and taking cold showers, the materialistic comparison looks a bit lopsided. That being said the experience is really really special there, but it would be even nicer at 50% the price ha ha.

Sleeping temperature: The Osa peninsula is a steamy place and I think it was extra steamy the night we were there. Now I know what it is like to sleep in the jungle or not be able to sleep much in the jungle. I know a fan uses precious turbine power but I think we would have slept much better with a ceiling fan. Our cabin was kind of enclosed by forest and we really did not have any kind of breeze from the ocean or anywhere else to make things more bearable.

So there are my gripes. Regardless. Finca is awesome!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Finca_Exotica, Owner at Finca Exotica, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Hi Matthew, thank you very much for taking the time to share your Finca Exotica experience! We were very pleased to have you stay with us, you and your family were just wonderful to have here.
I would also like to take this opportunity to say thank you for sharing your suggestions. We take great pride in Finca Exotica and it is important for us to render the best possible experience to our guests. We have taken your comments on board and will look into ways to improve certain aspects. Apologies that the trail was not in the best condition whilst you were here, we are currently looking into ways to make it less slippery and hope it to be better after this rainy season. We really hope to see you again here in the near future, have a wonderful week!
Mechanicville, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I have traveled to many places all over the world, but I have to say this was one of the most relaxing trips I have ever had! It was the first time I traveled internationally with my 3 year old son and I have to admit, I was a bit worried. He enjoys technology (tv shows, iPad, etc) and I wasn't sure how he would do without it. I was beyond surprised at how he did!

To start, we stayed in a tent in the gardens and we fell asleep to the sound of the ocean waves crashing on the shore every night. He often woke me up before the sun even rose because he couldn't wait to see what adventures were in store for us! We saw a ton of wildlife up close.... monkey's, birds, lizards, hermit crabs, snakes, etc. One day while we walking along a dirt path, a 6 foot bird eater snake slithered in front of us! He LOVED it!

The staff was extremely supportive of having a 3-year old around and went out of their way to accomodate his picky eating habits. They also will arrange special activites if you are interested. They do guided nature hikes, etc. We personally chose to go horse-back riding in the jungle and then on the beach as the sunset. Certainly an experience to remember!

In regards to the food at Finca Exotica, it is beyond compare! Every meal we had a different fresh-made juice from the fruit picked from their trees. We enjoyed a variety of local foods and I know they grow many of their own fruits and veggies (organically) right on their land.

All in all, it was an amazing trip and I can't wait to go back. I would recommend it to anyone looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and wants to get back to nature..... whether it be to do some hiking, swim in a pool at the bottom of a waterfall, relax in a hammock and read a book, do some bird watching, or chase hermit crabs on the beach like my son.... this place is for you!!! :-)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Finca_Exotica, Owner at Finca Exotica, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
What lovely words, thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience here at Finca Exotica! Your son was such a wonderful spirit to have around, it was brilliant watching him take everything in. Please tell him that we have had all four species of monkey in the garden this week, I hope he’s as impressed as we have been! Really hope to see you again soon.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We came to Finca Exotica expecting that the pictures overestimated the views - as they often do with lodging. But, wow, were we wrong! Finca is beautiful and the cabins / Casa Grande do not detract from the views but, rather, add to the scenery. Amazing place to escape city life for a few days. No internet, TV or cell service was very refreshing. Expect to get wet, be hot and live with nature & its creatures.. it's the rainforest after all! Food is very fresh, tasty and Gabby is a wonderful cook and beautiful spirit - I fell in love, sorry Markus!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Finca_Exotica, Owner at Finca Exotica, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Hi Taylor, great to hear from you! Well, Gaby obviously has an admirer- I better be careful! We are very happy that we could be your escape from the city life. It really is refreshing to get away from tv’s and phones, I am very happy that you embraced it- we hope you shall do it again in the near future!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We came to Finca Exotica after having a hard 5 day hike through Corcovado national park. After hiking over 70km in total over the week, we were glad to have somewhere as perfect as this to relax. Amazing food, all very healthy and we were never hungry! It was all cooked fresh, a lot of hard work and thought went into all three meals each day. The location is great, right by the sea, so even though we didn't want to go swimming, it was refreshing after being in such high humidity and heat throughout the past week. Both of us agreed that coming to Finca Exotica after our hike, we had the best sleep we'd had all week in the eco-lodge. Since everything's open plan, the heat didn't keep us awake as it had done at the previous locations. Even though i'm extremely susceptible to insect bites, the net around the bed ensured that I didn't notice getting any new bites to the ones I got in the jungle. We were delighted to see such beautiful wildlife around (including the hummingbirds visiting us in the shower) as well as the flowers. All staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and always willing to have a chat. This is an experience to completely immerse yourself in the natural world, and in a sustainable, eco-friendly way. My only regret is that we should have stayed here for longer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Finca_Exotica, Owner at Finca Exotica, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thanks for the kind words, Jasmine! You definitely deserved somewhere nice to go after your 70km trek- we are glad you let us spoil you here at Finca Exotica :o) We always try our best to give our clients the best service possible- we are glad we completed your stay here on the Osa. Definitely come back for longer next time for even more nature indulging!Pura vida
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This self sustaining lodge was absolutely gorgeous...we drove the 2 hour 30 min "road" to Carate which was an adventure since it was rainy season...the hosts were wonderful and the food was gourmet...this is not a trip for those who expect hot water and typical hotel amenities...this is a trip for people who love nature, like to camp and expect to hike...the lodge is within hiking distance to Corcovado, I recommend starting out at the crack of dawn depending on the tides...I wish we had stayed a little longer...this was a spectacular place to stay...I highly recommend for those who seek adventure and beauty...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Finca_Exotica, Owner at Finca Exotica, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Hi there. Thank you very much for writing this review, we really appreciate you taking the time to do so! Finca Exotica is open year round so please do come back for another hike of two (and a little relaxing of course) when you have the time! Pura vida

Been to Finca Exotica? Share your experiences!