“We loved El Remanso -” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Remanso Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Osa Peninsula
El Remanso Lodge
You added El Remanso Lodge to your Saves list
near Corcovado National Park, 8203, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 44 Hotels in Osa Peninsula
London
“We loved El Remanso -”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2007

My boyfriend and I arrived in El Remanso after an amazing flight from San Jose, with NaturAir. When we arrived, we were shown to our Cabina which had the most beautiful views into the forest. It was also clean, tidy and spacious. It is a remote area - a place which should be visited by people who are looking for a get away, where you are given the opportunity to explore the area, and the beach, which is remote and un developed - perfect for seeing the 4 types of monkeys we regularly saw, the hundreds of birds and insects which thrive in the environment. The dolphin trip was excellent - an early start guaranteed us the chance to see 30+ bottle nosed and spinner dolphins - and we were lucky to see flying fish and also needle fish. The waterfall rappelling was great fun, and the afternoon we spent (attempting) to surf, another highlight as the sea was so warm. The local resident guide was knowledgeable and the staff friendly.

I am surprised to see a rather disappointing comment from a fellow trip advisor user - i can't believe we were at the same place! I had plenty of communication with Adrianna prior to our visit (we visited from London, with the intention to get some R&R and catch some of the local nature in action) who explained that there are some transfer fees involved (which is not surprising given you are in the rainforest and you need a lift to and from some activities). I honestly thought Adrianna and Daniel were extremely accommodating, and their staff were great. There is an element of isolation - but anyone who wants to visit a real Eco-Lodge with demonstrable caring for the environment will realise that that is the whole concept - you really are in the middle of an amazing place.

One definite pro - they mix great margaritas - brilliant after an afternoon's hiking.

One thing i think should be improved - the breakfasts and lunches were delicious - i would have liked to have seen more local 'Tico' food on the dinner menu.

I'll post photos shortly.

• Liked — Spacious, clean with views over the rainforests
  • Disliked — nothing - you do need bug spray though (but you are in the middle of the rainforest!!!!!)
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
College Station, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

El Remanso was a great example of an outstanding eco-lodge ! The buildings melded into the environement, yet were comfortavle( fans at night would have been nice though). Ecursions (zipline, hiking, & horesback riding) were exceptional. The staff was friendly and very service oriented . I also had one of the best gin & tonics i can remember !.

• Liked — beautiful beaches
  • Disliked — moderatly difficult to get to
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

El Remanso is an amazing, unique place that I would highly recommend to outdoors enthusiasts, jungle adventurers, and to couples looking a romantic, secluded getaway. The owners and waitstaff are amazingly warm and helpful. They are worldly, speak many languages, and maintain a zen atmosphere on the grounds that would enlighten any kind of person. I loved how the cabins were big and luxurious, but still very connected with the outdoor environment: the rain, the jungle sounds, the birds and insects. It's important to stay at a place like El Remanso when you visit Costa Rica so you can really experience the deepest, most untouched and most beautiful forested area of the country.

In addition, we were fed like kings there with three large, delicious meals a day. We had wondeful cocktails made of local blended fruits. We did some of the paid activities but also ventured out on our own for hikes, which was all part of our jungle adventure. I HIGHLY recommend this trip for people who love the outdoors but want to sleep and eat well while experience the rainforest!

Two thumbs up, five stars, and three cheers to Belen, Adriana, Joel and Daniel!

• Liked — The view of the sunset, the amazing restaurant, waterfall repelling
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

My wife and I stayed four nights at El Remanso this past July, and loved our lives while we were there. It was exactly what I expected based on the website, and the hospitality and service were far above expectations.

We wrote our kids email messages from the lobby, hiked down to the beach and tide pools, surfed our brains out, took amazing photos of scarlet maccas, white-faced monkeys, toucans, etc.
We have a love for the natural beauty of the rain forest, and being off "the grid" if you will.

The meals were absolutely delicious. A couple dishes for example included a curried red snapper with pilaf, a barbecue pork dinner, and a few others, all way above expectations. Breakfast was first class. Lunch as well... How they pull this off in the middle of the second most biologically diverse ecosystem in the world is amazing.

The zip line was not worth the money, but Daniel indirectly told us this, and we chose to pass based on his recommendation. He sent us up to Arenal for the last part of our vacation where we did the sky tour zip lines... which were excellent. Thanks Daniel.

Adrianna and Daniel were extremely friendly and helpful. I'm not kidding. They were over the top, at your service, and on the ball. They made us family.

Would it be correct to say this lodging is not for everyone? Probably. We slept in a room overlooking the Pacific Ocean with maccas and toucans and howler monkeys outside our window. There were no screens, no mosquito net, and no A/C --Exactly what we wanted. We were at 1,000 feet approximately = NO BUGS. We didn't see a single mosquito at El Remanso, and we understand that the ecosystem would provide us a wide range of wildlife during our journey and stay... It was first class, worth the value, as far as rain forest lodging is concerned. I'm well-traveled in Costa Rica, and used to much harsher conditions. Even given this, this was top quality... I have recommended El Remanso to many people.

We rented a car and drove in, and Puerto Jimenez is thirty easy minutes away on a great, well-maintained dirt road. I emphasize "drove in" because you are, in fact, driving into the rain forest. It's beautiful!!!!!! There's a reason why the Discovery Channel, Jeff Corwin, and other production teams stay here.

I recommend renting a car for el remanso. Driving down to Matapalo Point and checking out the surf is fun and a socialable thing to do when you want to see other people. Also, you'll have the fun of driving and getting in a dirty road/canopy experience.

Enjoy. And big thanks for Adrianna and Daniel. Our stay was absolutely wonderful. We look forward to returning soon.

• Liked — I'm in the Rain Forest!
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

We picked El Remanso for our honeymoon because we were looking for a place that had a beach, rain forest, was very secluded, and offered us other exciting activities. El Remanso met all of our expectations and more. We were treated with great respect by all the employees, who did an excellent job. We were served three very well prepared meals a day. Our cabin was very comfortable, and private. The weather was great, and although they don't have air conditioning, we didn't need it because of the nice weather. Our room was full of screened windows that allowed for plenty of air to pass through. The beach is a short walk from the lodge, and we were always alone at it. We saw all kinds of wildlife on our trail hikes (monkeys, sloth, toucan, other birds etc.) We also went waterfall repelling, took the zip line canopy tour, and kayaked through the mangroves. All three activities were great, and our guide was very knowledgeable. All in all, we wanted a place where we could feel secluded, but also has plenty to do, and was very affordable, and El Remanso fit that perfectly. I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at El Remanso and could not have had a better experience. Everything from the lodging (wonderful rooms with screened windows on three sides and big wooden doors on the entire front that open to a view of the ocean), to the food and staff were excellent. We wanted something secluded, yet still comfortable and we found it. The beach (miles and miles of untouched beach) was amazing as was the hiking.

We took a 4 hour one-on-one guided hike with the naturalist, and it was definitely worth the $70. We saw four types of monkeys, sloths, and tons of birds - and our guide knew the names (in English and Spanish) of all of them! We also went on a three hour waterfall rappelling trip with the same naturalist, and that too was an experience of a lifetime, and well worth the money.

The young couple that run the lodge are so nice and interesting. Not only did they work hard to make our stay as wonderful as possible by arranging special trips (we went surfing at a nearby beach) and accomodating any of our wishes, but they also took time to talk to us about the history of the lodge and the eco-friendly practices they use.

Lastly, you'll be happy to find that its location between two streams keeps the mosquitos and other bugs at bay. I got more bug bites in San Jose!

Overall, it was a great experience and so very relaxing. We didn't worry about one thing while we were there.

We definitely hope to return at some point,

Nathan and Julie

• Liked — The remoteness of the lodge
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

I had never been to Costa Rica before this trip, but I would heartedly recommend this eco-lodge to anyone who wants a real rainforest experience with some of the nicest people in Costa Rica. True, the trip from the airport to their lodge is over a rural, bumpy and sometimes flooded road, but once you get there you will be treated with kindness and attention! For being in the middle of a rainforest, there is a lot to do in a week.

I was encouraged to take the zip line (something I'd never done in my 65 years) and I loved it! I also hiked down to the beach, to the waterfalls area, and up the road to take pictures. And the food! Every night was a treat. There's nothing like eating on a veranda watching for monkeys.

My only disappointment was missing the last night at the lodge. Because of the rain (it IS a rainforest) the owners were afraid to let me stay with my flight leaving early next morning, as the road in/out can become VERY flooded. So they got me a hotel room in San Jose, on them, and I left the night before. At least I had a chance to experience San Jose a bit on this trip.

One last kudo: before I left the lodge, Adrianne burned several CDs with my digital images, so that I was assured of having my images in case the cards were corrupted on the trip back. This, as well as everything else, was gratis.

• Liked — Real rainforest experience.
  • Disliked — You were at the end of the road.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to El Remanso Lodge? Share your experiences!