“Best place I have ever stayed!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Remanso Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Osa Peninsula
El Remanso Lodge
You added El Remanso Lodge to your Saves list
near Corcovado National Park, 8203, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 44 Hotels in Osa Peninsula
Lauterbourg, France
“Best place I have ever stayed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This is by far the best place I have ever stayed, not only in Costa Rica but anywhere in the world! The lodge's location is absolutely beautiful with stunning views from both the rooms and the restaurant/bar. When we had breakfast we saw many types of birds and animals including Scarlet Macaws, Toucans and a group of White-faced Capuchins! The hiking trails are fantastic and allow you to get really close to the beautiful natural surroundings and give you a great opportunity to see some fantastic wildlife. Even if you just sit by the pool you are guaranteed to see several species of birds and reptiles! All of the staff are extremely helpful and friendly, and are very accommodating for any special needs (I have type 1 diabetes, so they gave me a special dessert of fruit instead of what they gave the other guests, all without any problems!). If you are interested in wildlife you have to go out with one of the guides, they are all extremely knowledgeable and passionate about Costa Rica's rich biodiversity. Even during any of the other activities you are guaranteed to see plenty of interesting wildlife. I would personally recommend the Dolphin watching (done outside of the Lodge's property, in the Golfo Dulce) and the waterfall rappelling (I'm scared of heights but I did it and it was incredible!!). There is so much to see and do here, I wish I could have spent much more time there than I did! I will definitely be back and will definitely be recommending this wonderful place to anyone that is considering travelling to Costa Rica!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

My husband, three boys and I stayed at El Remanso for the last three nights of our two week stay in Costa Rica. We arrived with high hopes as this lodge had come highly recommended to us and it did not for a moment disappoint. From our initial arrival and warm greeting from the manager Sylvia and the staff, all of whom made an effort to learn our names and address us by them throughout our stay, we were made to feel incredibly welcome. Sylvia is impressive as a manager and shows an enormous amount of care for her staff and her guests. Nothing is too much trouble and every detail is thought about. The accommodation and grounds of the lodge are absolutely beautiful. Our cabin was set right in the midst of unspoiled rainforest with a beautiful view of the ocean. At night it was a little disconcerting for the children knowing there were pumas and deadly snakes nearby (!) but by day it was an incredible wildlife experience with monkeys tumbling through the trees right beside us and humming birds feeding on the flowers next to the cabin. There were many trails to explore and excellent guides to help us spot an enormous variety of birds and wildlife in the forest. We really felt we were at one with nature here ..in a natural, unspoiled environment. This was very special and probably largely due to El Remanso's extremely impressive approach to sustainable tourism and to the environment. It melts almost seamlessly into its surroundings.Macaws ate fruit in the trees above us as we swam in the lovely pool!! The food was amazing... really delicious. We would highly recommend El Remanso to anyone who really wants to experience the wildlife in Costa Rica. It is a wonderful place to stay and perhaps in terms of friendliness, beauty, food and ambience ,the most special place we have ever stayed.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

My wife, daughter and myself stayed a week at El Remanso with the active package. The location is fantastic, the lodge is perfectly integrated into the environment but the best of all were the people working there and the management. Great attention to detail, always available with a smile and the guides were very well prepared and ready to answer all questions. Food is simple but great quality.
One of our best vacations!

Francesco

Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Spent three nights here while hiking/moving through the Costa Rican Rainforest. What a treat. Large property (not in terms of number of rooms) with lots of areas to hike and explore, largely untouched by humans - and full of animals. Monkeys, Parrots, Birds, etc. If you want wildlife in Costa Rica, this is the place for it.

Food, was fantastic. Several selections chosen at the meal before so they are ready quickly in the evening (which is good because your tired from all of the hiking, waterfall repelling, and tree repelling which happened during the day.)

They even pick you up at the Airport in Puerto Jiminez. Note: No cell phone service, and no internet as of the date I stayed. Which is actually a bonus.

The Service is great. The staff know everyone's names, and everything is just added to your tab as you go about. Note: They sometimes loose track, and round down in the guests favour. I pointed this out on checkout, they (the owner) said - don't worry about it.

Ecologically this place is something to see. Completely off the grid, and probably about 99% sustainable. Absolutely recommend. If you don't like bugs, and all such things which go along with the Jungle, this won't be a good experience for you.

Room Tip: You need a room on the front of the buildings so you can sit on your deck and look off onto the paci...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My husband and I stayed at El Remanso for four nights and wished we could have stayed longer! The hotel grounds are beautiful and we could hear the ocean from our room at night along with all the jungle animals. Being vegetarian, we were worried that there was only the hotel to eat at but the food made for us was the best on our entire honeymoon! We definitely gained a few pounds from the amazing meals. The activities were amazing (waterfall repelling)! We spend each evening reading novels either on the deck of our room or in the hammocks in our room. I cannot wait for the opportunity to return!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Lubbock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This was a beautiful paradise. I place set in the middle of nowhere. I loved our tour guides (Gera was awesome!) Here's the thing though, El Remanso is not for people seeking a comfortable air conditioned experience. There is limited electricity, as the compound supplies their own. Also, it is extremely humid, but, seriously, amazing. We went for our honeymoon, and we are glad we didn't spend the entire time there (because of the humidity and exposure to the elements - it is much more of an adventure-seeker place) Also, the wildlife can be a little frightening. Pay attention to your guides! This was definitely a vacation we will remember our entire lives. Loved every second.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
San Rafael, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We spent 11 days this summer in Costa Rica and our family is so pleased that 6 of them were at El Remanso Lodge. If you are seeking to experience the Rain Forest, with comfort and class - then I highly recommend this place.

It starts with the locale - on the Osa Peninsula - a private reserve set in old growth rain forest.
As you make your way on the ride down a bumpy gravel road you begin seeing wildlife and get the sense you're in for something special, a real experience with nature.

When we arrived we were guided to the Dining Room, I say room loosely as it's open air on 3 sides - looking right out into the jungle, but that's part of the magic of this place... the lodge was build into the rain forest. It's almost as if El Remanso belongs in this place. The dining room is attached to the kitchen and has a charming bar “Los Encantitos”. A few steps away from the Dining Room is the delightful pool with a deck and lounges that have a great view into the jungle with the ocean beyond. Behind the pool is Casa Poniente, a building with 6 rooms, four on the first floor and two suites on the top floor.

After a delicious lunch (see my comments about the food below) we were escorted off to our lodging. We had chosen La Vainilla - a 2-story bungalow down the trail from the center of the lodge. Our bags had already arrived at the steps to our temporary home and we entered to explore. The downstairs has two large beds, with it's own bathroom and separate shower - all screened (which our son was very pleased about). There was a nice, small deck off the downstairs with two adirondack chairs facing the valley - with green foliage giving way to the Pacific Ocean in the distance.

As we climbed up the stairs with the hewn wooden railings I felt as if I had entered either a movie or a dream. Before me was a large space, open air on three sides. There were 2 hammocks hanging in each corner of the room - a comfortable sitting area with chairs and a table between them.
In the back center of the room stands a beautiful King bed with mosquito netting creatively tied up above, with the classy touch of tropical flowers on the pillow as well as affixed to the netting in front. On the side of the room is the bathroom area - it's half walls providing privacy but still allowing you to feel in the jungle. One of my favorite features - you can shower while looking out to sea and the jungle. It sounds so simple but wow, what an experience.

We also toured several of the other rooms - the smaller single story bungalows looked wonderful as well, each with their own deck. These rooms were screened with wide screen doors that open to the jungle. I would have no hesitation recommending any of the bungalows. The rooms that are poolside are also nice, though smaller. They each have a patio with a hammock to enjoy the breeze outside. For families who would prefer being near the pool or the dining room - this may be a good choice, though we prefer to be away from the noise and activity around the lodge.

Jumping back on the trail beside our bungalow and heading downhill, a 15-minute walk brings you to the beach.... a beautiful beach! There are signs and you are cautioned not to attempt to swim in the surf here - rip tides are apparently strong and severe. But we did safely wade in the waves and spend minutes on several days watching the waves roll in and out. A treat at the beach were pairs of Scarlet Macaws that must make their home near the tree-line on the Coast. Wonderful to watch in the trees and in flight (but their squawking belies their beautiful colors).

Walking to the left about 10 minutes we traced the path of a small creek up to a waterfall that was some 35-40 feet tall. It was a blast to experience the 'hydro-shower'. This waterfall would be the last of four that we would Rappel down days later as part of that adventure tour.

After the exhilarating hike back up (it is uphill and is a good workout) we head back to the dining room for dinner. Lodging at El Remanso includes 3 meals a day. And the food is good, no I mean really good! Breakfast is plentiful with several choices each morning - you can also select and combine simple dishes like eggs, hash browns and toast. The fruit pancakes (I chose Pineapple) come not with the wimpy tiny cubes of fruit I've experienced before but with big, juicy pieces throughout. The fresh juice each morning was amazing. I recommend trying the traditional Costa Rican breakfast with the Gallo Pinto, Tico Hash Browns, Plantains and toast.

At the end of breakfast you are brought the lunch and dinner menus to select your choices for that day. Lunches were equally delicious - with multiple choices each day. I believe my favorite was the Burrito with tender, tasty beef with just the right compliment of additions topped off with a savory sauce. I had that more than one day! The food is plenty but not so much you have to stuff yourself or leave food to waste. But save room for desert - lunch and dinner both conclude with desert. From juicy pineapple sliced to a fresh fruit compote to cheesecake to (my favorite) Tres Leche Cake.

And the dinners - dinner was a palette pleaser each night. My favorite had to be the Beef in the Red Wine Reduction Sauce. I love my sauces and the cooks at El Remanso earn an A+. Each dinner you had the choice of two entrees - Pork, Fish, Beef, Chicken and vegetarian (in fact I understand you could have vegetarian or other special dietary consideration each meal). And yes, as I mentioned before - save room for desert.
The bar provides a choice of standard beverages along with several special cocktails. The Pina Colada is very good but my wife loved the Coco Loco. I enjoyed a delicious Mojito (with freshly crushed mint) on the deck of the pool one afternoon. My son enjoyed non-alcoholic versions of the Pina Colada and Coco Loco. The bar also serves fresh fruit smoothies and shakes.

Activities at El Remanso enhance your experience in the Rain Forest - we chose the Adventure Package (their website features several packages with activities, etc). We did the Long Hike, Bird Watching Tour, Night HIke, Canopy Tour (1 Zip Line & Rapelling Down), Waterfall Rappelling, and Kayak in Mangroves. We enjoyed each activity but would have to say our favorite was the Waterfall Rappelling - a very safe but adventurous experiences where you and your party rappel down four creek-waterfalls on the property. The guides were thorough in their instruction and never felt unsafe.

The long hike with El Remanso guide Gerrardo was also great - he is such a great guide, knowledgeable but with a great personality that is passionate about nature and very good about communicating and teaching. We saw sloth, monkeys, leaf-cutter ants and spiders - learned about the Garlic Tree and Alligator trees and the amazing evidence of the Walking Palm.

The adventures, the lodgings, the food, the beautiful jungle all make this place special - and the icing on the cake is the people. We so enjoyed interactions with every staff member (from the gardener who showed us that Hummingbird nest one day) to the dining hall staff, to housekeeping and the managers - El Remanso really helped to make our visit a special one.

You can tell I am more than satisfied with our stay at El Remanso Lodge. If you, your partner or family enjoy adventure - but wish to experience it in comfort, with great meals; this place will not disappoint. We will remember this trip for years to come - and are already thinking about when we might return.

P.S. We are thrilled to experience such a wonderful lodge but equally pleased that El Remanso continues to earn the highest marks for their sustainability. So we can enjoy a visit to the Rainforest while causing minimal impact to these wonderful animals and plants. That is important to our family!

Room Tip: If you're up for maximum jungle living - definitely stay in La Vainilla. If you'd prefer sc...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to El Remanso Lodge? Share your experiences!