“Beyond amazing” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Portland, Oregon
“Beyond amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I will probably just be reiterating everyone else's review because I just can't say enough about the wonderful experience we had here. As with any wonderful place, it is the people, the staff, who make the experience even better. El Remanso's customer service starts before you even arrive. Gabby assists you in choosing the right package that will meet your needs and she is always available to answer any questions. When you do arrive on the lodge, you are addressed by name and it's like they've known you all your life. Gerardo is a great guide, full of information. I swear, he can spot things miles away and without a telescope. It was just a wonderful experience for me and my family.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I can't even begin to describe what El Remanso is. From the beginning to the end, my husband and I enjoyed every minute. We stayed 8/24/13 to 8/28/13 and were so impressed that we already want to go back. First, I have to start from just the reservation process with Gabby, she made it so easy and was more than accommodating to my multitude of questions leading up to the trip. We flew in to San Jose and Gabby sat up our small flight to Puerto Jiminez through Sansa (a local airline in CR). She greeted us at the airport where our driver, Jose was already waiting for us. On the drive there, although Jose didn't understand all of my gibberish he stopped a multitude of times pointing out the Spider monkeys, and beautiful wildlife. We drove up to the resort and it felt like the garden of Eden. It was so lush and green with wildlife humming all around you. We were greeted by the owners, Adriana and Daniel. Adriana took us on a small tour and offered us a greeting drink as she thoroughly went over everything with us. We stayed in one of the deluxe suites that overlooked the gorgeous pool that offered views of the rainforest and Pacific ocean. But honestly, after roaming the property I think any room you book would be well worth it. All of the rooms had its own unique character and qualities. Although my husband and I were not honeymooners, we still booked the honeymoon package and it was well worth it. The first day we did the canopy breakfast where you zipline to a tree on the property and watch the rainforest come to life as you sip on coffee and juices and a light breakfast. Our guide, Rinaldo was very knowledgable and pointed out all the birds to take pictures of. We also went on the short and long hike, bird watching, and waterfall rappelling with Gerardo. I can't begin to tell you how smart this guy is and how passionate he is about nature and the rainforest. I felt like I was in a college class learning about wildlife and I was so interested in everything he had to say. We went to Arenal after El Remanso and stayed at the Springs and I can tell you our guide there had nothing on Gerardo and the rainforest near Arenal could not rival the Osa. I was teaching the guide things I had learned from Gerardo and could even point out bird calls to others in my group all from learning from Gerardo! He is the best of the best! We even saw the very rare two toed sloth while we were there. I don't know how he finds things in the trees, but everytime he did and by then I had forgiven him for making us get up at 5:30 am. I couldn't say which experience of all the tours were the best because they all each held something so unique that each were very special in their own way. My husband and I each got 2 massages in 4 days!! Why?? Because Laura is amazing and you are in a little hut in the middle of the rainforest which is so magical. Seriously, I have had tons of massages and got one at the Springs (hey, it was vacation..don't judge) and Laura was still better! The wait staff were truly a joy and they decorated our table so beautifully for our romantic dinner. Each staff member knew our names and were always willing to go the extra step. Daniel gave a powerpoint lecture over El Remanso and how they are an ecolodge which was equally interesting on our last night there. I believe he does them once a week and it is well worth going to.
I know this is a long review but I wanted all of you to know this place is simply amazing not just because of the surroundings but because of the staff in front and behind the scenes. Without them, it would not be possible. I was one of those people who had never stayed any where without AC and this is my first! I live in Texas, so you know it gets hot. We didn't even notice.

To the El Remanso Staff, thank you for a great stay and we hope to see you all again soon!

Angie and Scot

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Round Rock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

El Remanso is by far the best vacation my wife and I have ever taken. To start, the setting is breathtaking. This genuine eco lodge is sited within primary and secondary rainforest overlooking the pacific ocean. If we had chosen to never leave our cabin, we still would've seen Capuchin Monkeys, Toucans, Scarlet Macaws, Coatimundis, Hummingbirds, Butterflies, and Trogans up close from our deck. The property's trails, beach, lagoon, waterfalls, tide pools, and viewing platforms are amazing. You couldn't ask for a more picturesque setting. Soak it in and bring an extra large memory card!
The activities, such as guided hikes, waterfall rappelling, canopy observation, horseback riding (off-site), bird watching, all exceeded expectations. I recommend all of the onsite activities and the horseback, or as many as you can do with the time you have. You will be glad you did.
The staff, and hosts Danny & Adrianna, are just wonderful folks. Its really like your staying with friends. I truly believe it is not possible to run/manage a place better than El Remanso. They truly care about sustainability, limiting their impact on the forest, and attending to every need and desire of their guests without being overwhelming or going through the motions. All of the staff are exceptional and just a joy to be around. The hikes with Gerardo are better than anyones we've been on anywhere. It's obvious he loves his job and does it better than anyone could ever ask. His knowledge, passion, and friendliness are unmatched. The restaurant staff are also great, and my wife and I enjoyed interacting with them on a daily basis. Sergio is a great bar tender!
The food was amazing. Not only was it fresh and homemade, but many of the dishes were very unique. It was always a treat to head to the restaurant after an exciting morning or afternoon of hiking for a fantastic meal.
The property and rooms are well-maintained. We stayed in a classic cabin and it was very comfortable. Don't worry about not having AC. You don't need it. We got excellent sleep with the sounds of the rainforest, tranquility of the rain, and the breezes from the Pacific Ocean and a fan.
We love Costa Rica and plan to travel to different areas/regions of the country in the coming years. However, and now that we've had such a wonderful time here, we will always leave at least a few days to head down to the Osa and stay at El Remanso. It is really that special.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dorking, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We spent three weeks in Costa Rica staying at some of the top lodges/hotels. El Remanso was by far our favorite. Everything is pitched just right, beautiful location, attentive but not overly fussy service, great activities and comfortable accommodation. I can honestly not think of one thing I would change.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Go here if u want a non tourist Atmosphere . The staff all speak English so I had no need for my translation book . The food was the freshest food I've ever had . I went solo and never felt alone . I did the adventure package . And the staff was always very helpful and kind. They even surprised me on my bday with flowers on my bed and room and bday cake at dinner while the staff and other guest were singing happy bday to me. Im planning a return trip back next year.... All smiles here ;)..I stayed in the cabin and suite ! Clean and very cozy !

Room Tip: Suite overlooking the pool...2nd floor was amazing ....lots of room...very private .
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Wildlife, beautiful views and a sense of escape.

This is an Eco-resort, but with the comforts I'm used to outside of the jungle. The rooms are cabins, with running water and electricity. The water comes from the mountain. It's clean to drink and tested twice a year. The water also provides electricity to the rooms via two hydroelectric engines.

The point is, you don't feel like you're making too large of an impact on the delicate ecosystem. And that's the star here. El Remanso has several trained ecologists who can take you on daily hikes. On two of them we saw monkeys (several species), a sloth, an armadillo, a white hawk, poison dart frogs, a pit viper, a coati, a tiger heron, and many other birds and butterflies.

The cabins are spread around the resort. Each has a view. Ours had a back porch, where we saw monkeys, toucans, and iguanas. Some of the rooms are a bit open to nature. It can be intimidating at first for some of us city folk, but you do get used to it.

There are three meals a day. They're all good, if not great. The ingredients are local, including the seafood, which is delicious. There's also a bar to provide drinks by the solar-powered pool or for a nitecap.

Things you will need: A flashlight, a water bottle, bug spray and itch cream. The mosquitos aren't too bad here, but can still be pests. The biggest pest problem, though, were all of the flies in the dining room at breakfast. Very annoying.

I loved this place. At the end of each day, I was exhausted from my adventures and discovery, many of which you don't need to leave the island for. The great thing is, despite the exhaustion, it was relaxing and completely took my mind off work.

I plan to visit again in the years to come.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Our stay at El Remanso was fantastic! Amazing scenery and wildlife made this the highlight of our trip. If you are debating whether to travel that little bit further to go to the Osa Peninsular on your Cosa Rica trip - do it!

The best part of our stay was our guided wildlife walks with Gerardo- his knowledge and enthusiasm was amazing. Well worth the money to get the most out of the surroundings. Waterfall rapelling was also good fun. Not too scary for a beginner like me and still good fun for my more daring husband!

The accommodation is simple, in keeping with the environment, but beautiful, clean and well looked after. The food was also excellent - a relatively small selection of dishes but whet they do they do very well.

I can't recommend it highly enough!

Room Tip: La Guinda has an amazing view over the rainforest down to the ocean. You can't see any of the ot...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple