“Birds, Monkeys, and The Beach... Oh my...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Remanso Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Osa Peninsula
El Remanso Lodge
You added El Remanso Lodge to your Saves list
near Corcovado National Park, 8203, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 44 Hotels in Osa Peninsula
salt lake city, ut
“Birds, Monkeys, and The Beach... Oh my...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying Gabby is an incredible communicator and if I could hire her to sell at my business I would. She was on top of all my questions, informative and upbeat. I was so excited to get there just after emails.

We were picked up at the airport and shuttled into the lodge, an hour drive or so. The driver spoke great English and knew his stuff. The drive in was a tour itself. He spotted monkeys and iguanas, birds and butterflies. As we
Arrived at El Remanso I could tell right off it was going to live up to it's rating here.

We were welcomed and everything explained to us. The lodge takes it's mission very seriously as a low impact lodge in the middle of the rainforest. They have self generated electricity and even the pool is Eco friendly. The footprint is not invasive and they have done a great job of maintaining the integrity of the natural surroundings. The birds, monkeys and all sorts of interesting critters surround the lodge and make themselves the center of everyone's attention. The way the rooms and bungalows are set up you are at eye level with all the happenings in the tree tops. Very well thought out! Even sitting around the pool is a bird watchers dream.

The food was awesome and fresh. I can't believe that tomatoes and avocados can taste so good, even the lettuce has more crunch. LOL. There is a full bar open all day. They go out of their way to provide excellent service. The main concierge changes day to day and they are all attentive and constantly making sure you have everything you need. Kudos to you gals!

Definitely take a tour. I would highly recommend the waterfall repel. It was way fun and super safe. They toke safety very serious. This tour was worth every penny. Use discretion on other tours, just saying...

Overall I was extremely pleased with my stay as was my whole crew. It was our first stop of 3 on our vacation and a very nice welcome to Costa Rica! Thanks so much for an enjoyable beginning.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have been to Costa Rica 10 times and i love the jungle and the people. El Romanso is by far the best place to see wild life and to explore the jungle. I love the accomodations and the food,but the people by far are the best. The attention to detail and the one on one service is above standard. We will be going back as soon as we can. i almost hate to give it a good review for fear of letting other people know.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Fairway, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My friend Mary W under "unbelievable!" has already summed up our trip and I just want
to add "ditto" to everything she said. El Remanso is such a special place and the staff
is wonderful!!! The article I saved and even the pictures on their website don't do it justice. It's even more beautiful and special. The setting is so gorgeous and peaceful. Our cabin, Vainilla was awesome. It has an amazing jungle/ocean view and there were no bugs or mosquitos. I also loved the fact there were no cell phones, computers, alarm clocks (except the howler monkeys which woke us at around 5 each morning which I enjoyed). It was so much fun to see all the wildlife. It was just an amazing trip and a wonderful way to celebrate our birthdays! I can't wait to go back! Thanks to all the staff you're the best!

Room Tip: Vainilla was wonderful especially if you're traveling with more than two in your group. Very pr...
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We were turned onto this resort by some friends who have visited El Remanso five times. Now we know why! This is an incredibly unique experience for so many reasons….
- The setting is breath taking. When you first arrive you are treated to the tree top view of the Pacific from the deck of the Lodge. You’re nestled in the rain forest alongside all the fauna, flora with hiking trails throughout within easy access.
- Accommodations: We stayed in one of the cabins/casitas. These were private and yet open (inviting air in through the screened in front doors). The views from our casita were outstanding. We had enough room to relax and have some privacy and were still close by to the Lodge.
- Dining: The food is wonderfully prepared with a menu available for view and selection early in the day. The food selection is varied enough with local selections of fish, fruit and vegetables. The drinks (and bartenders) were top notch – nothing like fresh local fruit to enrich your cocktail!
- Staff: From the on-site managers, to the wait staff, drivers, and grounds crews – all were friendly and very available. This is one of the key differentiators – it felt like we were among friends with the staff. There was also a lot of consistency paid to accommodations cleanliness.
- Extras: The guide, Gerardo, and his assistants were amazing. We had never experienced someone so knowledgeable about everything from ground growth, to bats to mammals, reptiles, birds, etc. He is passionate about what he does as well and this made the experiences with him that much more rewarding. The “add ons” such as waterfall rappelling, horseback riding, guided hikes, bird watching, etc. were all very worthwhile. The one “pass” we would exercise would be the kayaking – which we found too long and laborious to have truly enjoyed the experience.
- Eco-conscious: This may/may not be important to everyone reading the review. If staying at an eco-conscious resort is important, there is a very high attention paid to making sure that the resort exercises responsibility (from the food, to the towels, lighting, etc.) and they should get high marks for doing such a thorough job and having such a strong commitment in this area.
- Overall: This location and experience is exceptionally unique. If you want to be right in a rain forest setting and experience it fully, while enjoying a great stay, consider El Remanso.

Room Tip: Consider your preferred view when choosing a room. We chose one of the casitas close to the Lodge (a...
portland, oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This place is remote, and lacks the "amenities" of the "normal" tourist traps, but I didn't come here to feel like I was still at home. The setting is stunningly beautiful, the cabins and lodge embrace the surroundings, and you will see more wildlife than you can imagine. We awoke to howler monkeys, saw the amazing scarlet macaws in flight, toucans by the pristine pool (solar powered ion-cleaned), a crocodile, and various hawks and lizards - all on our own. With the guides - our eyes were drawn to more amazing creatures including king vultures, three-toed sloths, capuchin and spider monkeys, and the deadly fer-de-lance snake.

The commitment that the managers and staff have to sustainability is commendable, and they walk their talk. Yes - the lighting in the cabins is dim (so as not to intrude on wildlife), and there is no wifi, but if you want a chance to disconnect from the rat race, you couldn't possible find a more beautiful place on the planet. If you drive (we did), you will be treated to about 20k of gut-busting dirt road, and honestly - I hope they NEVER pave it. You can't swim on the beach, as the rip tide is killer, but you CAN soak yourself in the tidepools or the lagoon - just be wary of the crocodile that hangs out there! I'll gladly deal with the road to have the chance to experience the wildlife and wonderful beauty of the Osa at El Remanso.

As an added bonus - the staff is remarkable, tolerating and encouraging us to practice our remedial Spanish (gracias, Tamar!), and alerting us to the presence of army ants marching through our room one evening and arranging for a different cabin that night (thanks, Sylvia!), even though the ants were long-gone before bedtime (they are harmless, and best left to just finish their troop movements). The guides are incredibly knowledgeable, with almost uncontained enthusiasm. I can still hear Gerardo yelling, "¡Mira! ¡Mira!" upon spying the King vultures.

We left El Remanso sadly, but also brought home with us fantastic memories, and a feeling of friendship and community with the fine folks that run the Lodge. Gracias por todos, Daniel y Adriana! Nos vemos pronto!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Nothing prepared me for the gracious hospitality, sublime surroundings, and wonderfully fun time that my family enjoyed at El Remanso. It was a remarkable week! My two daughters (16 and 20 ) and I made a list of everything we wanted to do in Costa Rica and I was amazed that we found it all in one place. From galloping on the beach to exploring tide pools, from walking peaceful miles on the beautiful beach to lounging by the pool with a book - every detail of our stay was perfect. We hiked and rappelled waterfalls, relaxed in the hammock, and learned about the fabulous biodiversity of the Osa Peninsula. I was impressed by the quality of the staff, as the attention to our needs exceeded anything I expected. All of the staff appear to take joy in being helpful. It was a real vacation for all of us, as it was possible to truly unplug. Because of its remote location there is not enough power to connect to the internet- thank goodness. The girls and I enjoyed each perfectly prepared meal and we noticed that the meals were always just the right size. Completely satisfying but not wasteful. There was an expression of balance, beauty and connection to nature that made the week both restful and refreshing. An extra bonus is that El Remanso was awarded a 5 star rating for it's sustainability practices. For a busy lodge it leaves a very small footprint in the forest. If you want bright lights at night, this is not the place for you. But if you enjoy the calm that dim evening lights bring, then you will enjoy. A headlamp or flashlight for walking to your cabin at night is essential. My constant thought since we returned is "how soon can we go back?"

Room Tip: We enjoyed the classic cabin as it gave solitude and space for three people to relax.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Lawrence, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

A college friend had cut out an article about El Remanso from a travel magazine several years ago and tucked it away. A few monts ago she found it and asked our gang of seven if they would want to go to El Remanso to celebrate our 60th birthdays and 40 years of friendship. Four of us booked our plans with no expectations of what was in store for us. It was UNBELIEVABLE! The staff is so friendly and helpful and we felt right at home that first evening. The other guests became like long lost friends as we ate meals together and shared adventures. In fact, it reminded me of being at camp 50 years ago, which I loved. We had our camp directors, Adrianna and Daniel. We had our counselors (guides), Gerardo and Rinaldo. We had our adventures of hiking, zip lining, rappelling down the waterfalls, tidal pools, etc. We had quiet time by the pool or with the massuese. Best of all, were the three excelent meals that were served each day (complete with dessert). We met at the lodge each evening for Happy Hour and snacks to view the beautiful sunset. There are no evening activities after dinner which aren't needed as much as rest. The cabins are rustic (in a good way) with beautiful views of the ocean and jungle. Instead of the ringing of a bell to wake us up each morning, we were greeted with the very loud crys of the howler monkey. The nature was, again, unbelievable! A highlight was when the beautiful macaws flew into the trees by the lodge each day. The biggest highlight was when a group of capuchin monkeys decided to settle into the trees rifgt next door tothe lodge after breakfast. One monkey entertained us by peeling a coconut and eating it. And, of couse, being with one's best buddies was special. We acted as if we were still in college but in a totally magical enviornment. I will encourage anyone to spend some time at El Remanso but the girl trip was a blast. We felt very taken care of and trusted the staff that doing scary was going to happen. We pushed our limits and went outside of the box in this adventure. It was a trip of a lifetime! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Room Tip: The ocean view cabins and deluxe cabins are a little more secluded than the rooms next to the lodge...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to El Remanso Lodge? Share your experiences!