“I never wanted to leave” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Remanso Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Osa Peninsula
El Remanso Lodge
Save Saved
You added El Remanso Lodge to your Saves list
near Corcovado National Park, 8203, Costa Rica   |
Special Offer
FREE EXTRA NIGHT!!!
Ranked #1 of 44 hotels in Osa Peninsula
portland, oregon
“I never wanted to leave”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This place is remote, and lacks the "amenities" of the "normal" tourist traps, but I didn't come here to feel like I was still at home. The setting is stunningly beautiful, the cabins and lodge embrace the surroundings, and you will see more wildlife than you can imagine. We awoke to howler monkeys, saw the amazing scarlet macaws in flight, toucans by the pristine pool (solar powered ion-cleaned), a crocodile, and various hawks and lizards - all on our own. With the guides - our eyes were drawn to more amazing creatures including king vultures, three-toed sloths, capuchin and spider monkeys, and the deadly fer-de-lance snake.

The commitment that the managers and staff have to sustainability is commendable, and they walk their talk. Yes - the lighting in the cabins is dim (so as not to intrude on wildlife), and there is no wifi, but if you want a chance to disconnect from the rat race, you couldn't possible find a more beautiful place on the planet. If you drive (we did), you will be treated to about 20k of gut-busting dirt road, and honestly - I hope they NEVER pave it. You can't swim on the beach, as the rip tide is killer, but you CAN soak yourself in the tidepools or the lagoon - just be wary of the crocodile that hangs out there! I'll gladly deal with the road to have the chance to experience the wildlife and wonderful beauty of the Osa at El Remanso.

As an added bonus - the staff is remarkable, tolerating and encouraging us to practice our remedial Spanish (gracias, Tamar!), and alerting us to the presence of army ants marching through our room one evening and arranging for a different cabin that night (thanks, Sylvia!), even though the ants were long-gone before bedtime (they are harmless, and best left to just finish their troop movements). The guides are incredibly knowledgeable, with almost uncontained enthusiasm. I can still hear Gerardo yelling, "¡Mira! ¡Mira!" upon spying the King vultures.

We left El Remanso sadly, but also brought home with us fantastic memories, and a feeling of friendship and community with the fine folks that run the Lodge. Gracias por todos, Daniel y Adriana! Nos vemos pronto!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

346 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Nothing prepared me for the gracious hospitality, sublime surroundings, and wonderfully fun time that my family enjoyed at El Remanso. It was a remarkable week! My two daughters (16 and 20 ) and I made a list of everything we wanted to do in Costa Rica and I was amazed that we found it all in one place. From galloping on the beach to exploring tide pools, from walking peaceful miles on the beautiful beach to lounging by the pool with a book - every detail of our stay was perfect. We hiked and rappelled waterfalls, relaxed in the hammock, and learned about the fabulous biodiversity of the Osa Peninsula. I was impressed by the quality of the staff, as the attention to our needs exceeded anything I expected. All of the staff appear to take joy in being helpful. It was a real vacation for all of us, as it was possible to truly unplug. Because of its remote location there is not enough power to connect to the internet- thank goodness. The girls and I enjoyed each perfectly prepared meal and we noticed that the meals were always just the right size. Completely satisfying but not wasteful. There was an expression of balance, beauty and connection to nature that made the week both restful and refreshing. An extra bonus is that El Remanso was awarded a 5 star rating for it's sustainability practices. For a busy lodge it leaves a very small footprint in the forest. If you want bright lights at night, this is not the place for you. But if you enjoy the calm that dim evening lights bring, then you will enjoy. A headlamp or flashlight for walking to your cabin at night is essential. My constant thought since we returned is "how soon can we go back?"

Room Tip: We enjoyed the classic cabin as it gave solitude and space for three people to relax.
Lawrence, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

A college friend had cut out an article about El Remanso from a travel magazine several years ago and tucked it away. A few monts ago she found it and asked our gang of seven if they would want to go to El Remanso to celebrate our 60th birthdays and 40 years of friendship. Four of us booked our plans with no expectations of what was in store for us. It was UNBELIEVABLE! The staff is so friendly and helpful and we felt right at home that first evening. The other guests became like long lost friends as we ate meals together and shared adventures. In fact, it reminded me of being at camp 50 years ago, which I loved. We had our camp directors, Adrianna and Daniel. We had our counselors (guides), Gerardo and Rinaldo. We had our adventures of hiking, zip lining, rappelling down the waterfalls, tidal pools, etc. We had quiet time by the pool or with the massuese. Best of all, were the three excelent meals that were served each day (complete with dessert). We met at the lodge each evening for Happy Hour and snacks to view the beautiful sunset. There are no evening activities after dinner which aren't needed as much as rest. The cabins are rustic (in a good way) with beautiful views of the ocean and jungle. Instead of the ringing of a bell to wake us up each morning, we were greeted with the very loud crys of the howler monkey. The nature was, again, unbelievable! A highlight was when the beautiful macaws flew into the trees by the lodge each day. The biggest highlight was when a group of capuchin monkeys decided to settle into the trees rifgt next door tothe lodge after breakfast. One monkey entertained us by peeling a coconut and eating it. And, of couse, being with one's best buddies was special. We acted as if we were still in college but in a totally magical enviornment. I will encourage anyone to spend some time at El Remanso but the girl trip was a blast. We felt very taken care of and trusted the staff that doing scary was going to happen. We pushed our limits and went outside of the box in this adventure. It was a trip of a lifetime! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Room Tip: The ocean view cabins and deluxe cabins are a little more secluded than the rooms next to the lodge...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Lawrence, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I ventured off with three other friends to the El Remanso lodge with no idea of what lay before me. I looked at the pictures on their website and I also knew it was an Eco-Lodge. What I found was an extraordinary place in the most beautiful setting. Some highlights for me were: our room, the friendliest staff I have ever encountered, meeting other guests from all over the world and adventures that I will never forget (specifically the water rappelling). The memories of my experience there will linger on forever!

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the deluxe cabins called La Vanillia. It overlooks the ocean and is one of the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Oakville, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

El Remanso is the epitomy of what an eco lodge should strive for. If you are travelling to the Osa Pennisula, this is a must.The planning and effort to make the lodge both sustainable and functional is a model that is an outstanding example of what can be achieved.We have a house in Costa Rica but hadn't been to Puerta Jimenez. We are used to the rough roads and jungle noises. The 4:30am wakeup call from the howlers becomes almost white noise after a while and you miss it when you return back home. What I found unique to El Remanso besides the eco nature of the lodge is their caring human nature. Each staff member makes the effort to make sure that every guest is well looked after. From the time of booking with the personable Gabby to our final departure time we were cared for.There isn't any pressure to participate in the many activities that are available but instead the opportunity to have your vacation planned on an individual basis if you would like that. My family enjoyed nature hiking and bird watching with Geraldo ( a truly inspired naturalist,) a canopy breakfast and waterfall repelling. My daughter and I went on an early morning river walk and were thrilled to see a juvenile puna drinking in the river. Our reason to come to the Osa pennisula was to see the Scarlett Macaws and Toucans. We were not disappointed.
The essence of El Remanso is to be part of nature through living in the jungle setting and experiencing what that entails with all the perks. The food was delicious and healthy. We were well fed and pampered.
I will mention that we didn't know there would not be internet or a cell signal at the lodge. This is beneficial to attaining the goal of wanting to be away from it all. We had a pet dog in Costa Rica that had taken ill and I was very concerned.( Never feed your dog chicken strips or jerky made in China or Thailand.) I asked if there was any way that they could contact the person caring for our dog.Adriana the young woman that runs El Remanso said she would right away radio in the request. Adriana called 3 times a day and reported back to me what condition Fred was in at that time. .Although it was a roller coaster ride of sometimes good and sometimes not good news,(Fred did pass away) I will be forever thankful to Adriana for making the effort to help us in a stressful time.
We will hopefully return to the lodge someday soon.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Cincinnati, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have traveled all over the world and this was by far my favorite trip ever. My husband and I took our two children, 14 and 10, to El Remanso for the week of Christmas. Upon arrival, we were introduced to the staff and then greeted by name the rest of the week. They kept up this type of personal touch to everything they did for us. The lodge grounds are in the heart of the rainforest and we were surrounded by wildlife constantly. Always have your camera ready. We spent most of our stay in the La Guinda cabin which overlooked a jungle corridor and allowed us to see monkeys passing by daily. The cabin was extremely clean and decorated with fresh hibiscus when we arrived. There was a wide variety of food offered in the dining area at each meal and any change or special request was accomodated. The food was delicious! We did the 3-4 hour jungle hike, waterfall repelling, horseback riding and night jungle tour. I would do them all again. If you do the horseback riding, be prepared to gallop on the beach. It is thriling! We also spent time on the beach, searching the tide pools, and doing rainforest walks on our own (there are several marked trails). The pool was clean and refreshing. We often used it to cool off in after returning from a hot activity. I will say that in order to participate in many of the excursions, it helps to be fit. Other guests we saw that were not used to much physical activity seemed to struggle with some of the hiking and the walk up the 266 steps from the beach (yes, we counted them). The only problem we had at El Remanso was getting pool towels early in the day because they use solar to dry them and an overcast day slowed the process. It was a minor issue. I have never had such a hard time ending a vacation, but felt entirely invigorated by the time we left. Our family misses you all and hope that we can return in the future. Thanks for the adventure of a lifetime!

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Looking for something authentic where to spend our Christmas break with our teens, El Remanso Lodge was the perfect place: from the very first contact in Puerto Jimenez with Gabby and Jose to the last warm goodbye hugs with Tamar, Silvana, Adriana and Daniel, we knew the location was worth it. Friendly, polite and so hospitable staff, healthy and tasteful food, amazing guides, cocktails to die for (even around the pool), great organization, ...the list is too long!
We, parents, had the "Bajamar" ocean view room in Casa Poniente, nearby the pool area. Very peaceful! The room was spacious and clean and the bed amazingly comfortable! We slept like babies under the anti-mosquitoes net! Even the efficient fan in the room could not wake us up! Our large terrace surrounded by huge plants and bamboos gave us enough privacy for sharing time with our young adults. We loved the hammock for afternoon reading and napping.
We knew everything was open space before arriving, and the bathroom was no exception! Although outside, the shower offers a surprisingly privacy! And what a pleasure to contemplate all these exotic flowers from your bathroom. Priceless!
Since we came back from this peaceful paradise, we highly recommend El Remanso to all our friends, hoping we will return one day soon!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to El Remanso Lodge? Share your experiences!