“Beyond all expectations!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Remanso Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Osa Peninsula
El Remanso Lodge
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Empire, Colorado
“Beyond all expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

From our first e-mail to our final wave goodbye everything about El Remanso was exceptional. We love to walk, take photograghs and learn and there was an abundance of opportunities to do all three.
The warmth, knowledge and commitment of each member of the El Remanso team to make our stay special was felt from beginning to end.
The cabin, the fresh and delicious meals and excursions were all 5 star plus.
We are already looking forward to visiting again

Room Tip: There are only good cabins.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I'm not sure if there is anything more to say about El Remanso that already hasn’t been said on Trip Advisor!! My husband and I recently spent our honeymoon there and words can't express what a perfect spot it was for such an occasion.

The entire staff has such an incredible passion for what they do and the feeling is contagious beyond words. Every day we learned something new and they shared their love and passion with us like it was the first time they were experiencing the sights and sounds of the rain forest with us.

I would highly recommend going on the long hike with Gerardo at the beginning of your stay. We did get spoiled because we were the only ones in the group for our hike with him! He took the time to answer any of our questions and share his knowledge with us. From doing the long hike early in our stay we were able to learn about the sounds of specific monkeys and birds so we could identify them during our stay. Gerardo even taught us a new thing or two about our SLR digital camera, which was fun!! He was only there for one day of our stay and then had some time off. We were grateful to have met him and spend one afternoon with him, but do wish we could have spent more time with him. He made us feel so comfortable and really increased our excitement and wonder about the forest and all its mystery. You must do a tour with him, you won’t be sorry!!

I also recommend doing one of the activities with Rinaldo. He led us on the waterfall repelling tour (which was AMAZING!!) and the canopy tour. Just like Gerardo, his passion is contagious! He knows a little bit about everything in the forest and is so eager to teach you! His sense of humor and ability to make you feel like part of the El Remanso family is incredible. He is a wonderful guide and made our trip so memorable!
The wait staff was exceptionally professional and made us feel like some sort of royalty. They were so wonderful and kind that many times, I just wanted to ask them to sit down, relax and join us so we could get to know them too! The food is like nothing we have ever eaten before. Everything is so fresh and natural, and kept us satisfied and filled us with enough energy to get us through our busy days.

The walk to the beach is a bit strenuous, but after all you are in the jungle. Just make sure to allow for enough time at night coming back up before it gets dark. It is worth the trek to see the gorgeously untouched beaches and see the wild Pacific Ocean. The tide pools were one of our favorite memories too. We had a blast exploring them and taking amazing photographs.
We look forward to returning one day and hope to see the same staff that for 5 days accepted us into their home, treated us like long lost friends, and allowed for the beauty and peace of the Osa to find its way into our hearts.

Room Tip: La Guinda is the PERFECT spot for honeymooners! It is a private spot and has the best view on the gr...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

El Remanso is the real rainforest experience. I didn’t want to be one of those reviewers that just gushed about how much they loved a place but my sister and I really did love it! If you want to stay at a place where the staff and owners are warm and friendly, the food is great and accommodations are clean and comfortable, this is your place. The wildlife will amaze you and the hikes are incredible. The owners, Adriana and Daniel, actually check in with the guests to make sure they are comfortable and take a real interest in your experience. And they are true stewards of this rich eco-system. I would recommend El Remanso to my friends and go back in a heartbeat. You will feel blessed for this experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Bardstown, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

My wife and I stayed there for 4 days, and it was not only perfect in the beauty of the place, but the staff became fmily to us. They made our stay a great escape for us. We celebrated our 30th anniversary by renewing our vows there, and they put it all together for us. I can't say enough about the whole group of them, and the cabin we stayed in was so romantic. But let me not forget the gracious meals we had everyday as well. Top notch. I am back here at home now, wishing I could enjoy one more of their gourmet meals. Please listen to all these reviews if you are looking for a place that is out away from it all, but is luxury at its best I will always have a home there, and have an extended family. The only disappointment was having to leave. It is a disappointment that I just can't seem to get over, but that is my problem, and not theirs. I hope and pray them much reward for their great work at making a litlle heaven here on earth.

Room Tip: They are all ecellent
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Zancudo, Puntarenas, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

First I should say that my wife and I did not stay at El Remanso. We did, however, lose the transmission on our boat in an area where neither the marine band radio nor cell phones would work. After a poor decision on our part to swim to shore, we were unable to swim back through the breakers to the boat. We were without shoes, shirts, money, or water. Not a good situation in the rainforest. We hiked up the trail to El Remanso, spoke to a staff member and explained the situation. Daniel, the owner, was kind enough to take us down to the other side of the peninsula where we could swim out to the rescue boat in calmer surf. He even offered us water and towels. We live in the area and know that there are challenges to the Costa Rican lifestyle. We also know that not everyone would be so gracious and accommodating as Daniel and the staff at El Remanso. During our brief "tour" of the grounds, everything looked beautiful, well-groomed and sparkling clean. We plan to go back in the near future and stay--this time we'll even have our shoes! Thanks, Daniel! Pura vida!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

My wife and I had several friends of ours that had done Costa Rican honeymoons. We have heard nothing but good things about the country. We were getting married in April, so I decided to surprise my bride with a weeklong Costa Rican honeymoon. I was drawn to the all-inclusive type packages, since neither of us are familiar with this part of the world and wanted simplicy and ease on our honeymoon. However, I was turned off by the larger resorts. It all seemed to be a little to contrived and you were presented with a cookie-cutter experience that lacked authenticity. I knew that I wanted to find a place that took care of our every need, but had the authentic charm and atmosphere of Costa Rica.

We found the perfect place in El Remanso. From the moment I started working with Gabby on the phone and email to set up the trip, she made sure that we were building the trip around us, and she went to great lengths to make sure that every possible arrangement was made--including getting us from San Jose to El Remanso. At the lodge, you are treated like royalty. All of the staff (they usually outnumber the 20ish or so guests on the property at any time) memorize your name and get to know you and your needs. They make sure that you have the experience that you want.

We did an activity just about every day (part of the honeymoon package--which is fantastic), including three different nature hikes, horseback riding, waterfall repelling, a canopy zipline and breakfast, and massages on our last day(their masseuse if fantastic). If you don't go with an activity-heavy package, there is still lots to do on the property. We saw quite a bit of wildlife (including a puma!) on our own, spent a good deal of time relaxing by the pool or on the beach, or exploring the tide pools, lagoon, river, and jungle. We started to think that we were in a more luxurious version of a mix between Pirates of the Caribbean and the Swiss Family Robinson.

If you are not an "eco-tourist" don't worry, neither are we. El Remanso is remote and authentic, but it has plenty of creature comforts (really everything but AC). I was slightly worried that the lodge would be a little more "outdoorsy" than we were used to, but again, they strive to suit your needs. You can be Gilligan and stay outside all day, or you can be the Millionaire and His Wife and drink pina coladas by the pool watching macaws fly by.

The food (and bar) is truly excellent. It is varied, and I don't think we ever had the same meal twice. Even though everyone eats meals at the same time, we never felt that we lost any privacy. In fact, as you get to know the other guests (we overlapped with some great folks) you enjoy the meal time together to swap stories of the day and get to know new people.

Sylvia always made sure to check in with us daily to make sure that everything was going well for us and to take care of any arrangements that needed made. The owners are also fantastic and have such a heart for service and caring for their land. Rinaldo and Gerardo are two of the most knowledgable and kindest guides in the business, and really go above and beyond to make sure you are getting the best experience possible. The restaurant staff could easily work in any five star restaurant.

The room style is a very simple elegance. The bed was comfortable, and we never had to use the mosquito nets. You're in the jungle, so expect a few bugs in the room--but it was never a nuisance. We split our time between La Guinda and a smaller room by the pool. Both were fantastic, but we really recommend La Guinda. It is warm at night with no AC. The fan helps, but it is hard to forget that you are in the tropics. Their are also a lot of night sounds, so if you have trouble sleeping I'd recommend bringing ear plugs to block the noise. We got used to is after a few nights. Also, the hike to and from the beach is strenuous. Bring water and take your time, but when you find yourself on a deserted beach, or back up at the resort with a cold drink waiting for you--it is worth the effort!

Simply put, we couldn't think of a better place to start our life together. It is about as close as you can imagine to paradise. We highly recommend it and look forward to returning soon! Thanks to all the fantastic staff down there on the Osa Peninsula for making it an unforgettable experince for us. You guys rock!

Wes and Bethany Goodman

Room Tip: We stayed in two different rooms. Both were excellent, but we really recommend La Guinda. It is th...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

We had a small wedding at El Remanso back in late March 2012. The staff really did a wonderful job. We stayed 4 nights in Casa Osa and La Guinda. The flight from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez was a small 8 person single engine plane. That was a slight shock for some of our party. The cabins were nice and secluded, you didn't have to worry about another group seeing you.

We had contacted El Remanso and booked the rooms about a year in advance. Probably 2 months before the wedding we started making more definite plans, and Adrianna was extremely helpful and knowledgeable about different options. We had some concerns, and she quickly addressed them. The entire lodge did a wonderful job making us feel at ease with everything, and they never made me feel guilty asking for a special little favor (aka we forgot hand fans for guests, as well as needed an extra mirror in one of the rooms). Everyone commented how friendly the staff was, and how accommodating. By the end of the trip they knew everyones favorite drinks and how they liked to spend their day. I would really recommend the deluxe cabins, the view was absolutely breathe taking. It was wonderful just being able to sit with family on the large deck and talk or swing in the hammock for a bit. The view was straight out of a movie, their website pictures aren't lying.

I can't say enough about how perfect of a setting it was. The beach we used was breathe taking. I had given some floral pictures, but really let them have the final say in what they recommend and everything turned out beautiful. The water buffalo was a great touch, and really makes the pictures special. The food was amazing throughout our stay, it was just a little warm for this Yankee to fully appreciate it. I would have brought a hand fan in hindsight.

What stands out for me was the natural beauty of the lodge - every single person there cares about conservation and educating the public. They love their job, and they love explaining the world around them. I did the horse back riding, bird watching, and waterfall rappelling and would recommend them all. My husband also did the surfing, and he enjoyed Pollo's Surf School.

My tip would be don't go to this place to rest. Come rested and get up early everyday and go explore. Our party unfortunately lost 2 days to being sick (bad San Jose food), and that was really disappointing because the wedding took another day leaving us only one to really explore. But I do appreciate everyone at the Lodge looking out for us as we arrive looking very green after the drive from town. I felt bad because they were all ready to show us our rooms, get us a meal and drink, and show us around and all everyone cared about was being left alone and laying down.

The beach is a hike - bring extra water and lots of sunblock. But the natural tidepools and scenery are worth the effort. On the way back keep your eyes open for monkeys and toucans and macaws. Also, bring a long lens for your camera and practice. The animals move very fast and it was a challenge to get some good shots. But also don't get too tied behind your camera, make sure you enjoy being there and seeing them run around. My favorite was the macaws eating their breakfast next to us! Also, some of the monkeys decided it was hot and they needed a nap, so they were all sprawled out over the branches staring at us as we drove by.

Room Tip: The fans didn't help me sleep, but I started taking a cold bath before bed and that helped a lot...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to El Remanso Lodge? Share your experiences!