“I Basically Agree but,” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 19 hotels in Montezuma
Idaho
“I Basically Agree but,”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

The reviews of this hotel are in general accurate. However one significant annoyance we had was the air conditioner in our room, first floor, was full of mold. The room only had one very small window. The weather was very hot, 97 degrees F and whenever we left the room and shut the door we returned to a very musty, moldy smell. We had to sleep with the door open at night, with the fan going to tolerate the thought of what we were breathing.
The hotel was full and they said they did not have another room. It is a long story why we did not pursue changing rooms on our 2 subsequent days so that is our responsibility. But I did want to mention this. Otherwise I must say that the staff was very kind and helpful and it is a good location. One more thing. After other towns Montezuma struck me as dirty, lots of litter and questionable thoughts about where the sewers empty. I suspect right into the ocean where we were swimming. This may be true in lots of the beach towns in CR. Next time I will try to stay in smaller towns to help minimize my impact. Eco-tourism, the very thing that draws people to this area, is having its negative consequences.
We loved El Sano Banano restaurant, super friendly and helpful staff. Yummy food. Lastly if you are going from Montezuma to San Jose via the ferry be sure to find out about the direct bus. I asked for the best and least expensive way to get to Alajuela And I gave the # I had from the Frommer's book. (I should have called this number myself and I regret I didn't, my bad.) We were told by the tour office in town And the hotel desk that "everybody charges $40." THIS IS NOT TRUE. When we got on the ferry we saw a large a/c tourist bus that left from Cobano (so you have to take a local bus (or taxi) to Cobano which should be easy, @ $2?) to catch this tour bus. The bus from Cobano to San Jose airport or Alajuela cost only $15 plus you do not have to change your luggage from one van, onto the ferry, off the ferry into another van. This is the only time in our 10 day trip when I felt ripped off. I heard from people whose daughter lives in Cobano that the hotels receive a cut for referring their guests. I don't have a problem with that, but to say it is the only way is only partly true.
It is a beautiful country, with very nice residents and we are very glad we went. 90% of the time was perfecto. Enjoy

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Hotel_Tajalin, Manager at Hotel El Tajalin, responded to this review, October 22, 2011
Thank you for your review. Hotel El Tajalin is under new management as of Oct. 15, 2011 and we are taking all past reviews as learning tools to enhance the experience of our guests.

Mold can be a problem in Costa Rica in the rainy season, but there are steps that can be taken to solve the problem. Several of the older A/C units have been replaced. With other units, filters have been replaced and are now cleaned once a week to avoid any mold. We also have a rotation of a new dehumidifier in all downstairs rooms which had issues with mold in the past.

Please be assured that your complaint is being taken seriously and all steps are being taken to ensure that others will not repeat your moldy experience.

As for Montezuma being dirty, it's not. There is a robust garbage collection unit and a new recycling center nearby, doing our part to protect the environment. All beachside businesses found to have improper sanitation practices have been condemned in the past by the sanitation department and have only been allowed to reopen with better facilities.

The only garbage problem that irks some of us residents, is that plastics that float on the sea collect about 15 minutes walking north of the Montezuma beaches due to Nicoya Gulf currents. We hold beach cleanups after the rainy season to tidy up the place and hope that those who dispose of garbage improperly (mostly far from Montezuma) clean up their act soon!

Sorry the tour office in town may have lied to you. Our reception staff books tours and transportation for guests and have been instructed to be honest and forthcoming or they will lose their jobs. You can trust our receptionists to book anything you need and to give you all the information necessary to do so. Yes, the bus is a great way to go to SJ. One additional tidbit is that it leaves directly from Montezuma. No need to take a $10 taxi to Cobano.

Thanks again for your review.

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Greensboro, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

We stayed 5 nights and enjoyed every minute of Montezuma.

Room: The room was basic - clean, necessities for living, not a lot of excess room. The bathroom has a huge shower with decent water temp and good water pressure. There is a/c and free wi-fi but there wasn't a TV in the room.

Hotel generally: Well cared for. On the 3rd floor there is Direct TV if you want to watch it and hammocks to lounge in. We didn't do any TV watching but I did spend an hour or so in the hammock reading a book. The hotel does have security on duty after dark. A note about rates - if you pay cash you get a better rate. NOTE: There is NOT an ATM machine in Montezuma so bring at least enough cash for 1 night in the hotel.

Staff: Was pleasant and professional. Everyone spoke English.

Location: In guide books this hotel is listed as "beyond the church" which makes it seem remote and quiet. This isn't the case. It is quiet but it is also super conveniently located on a dead end street near the town park. You can get to food, stores, the bus, the bar, and the beach by foot in 2 minutes (no exaggeration).

Overall: Great value if you don't need a fully Western style hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

My girlfriend and I arrived at Hotel El Tajalin and were excited by the location...it is on a small hill about a block from the center of town in Montezuma...secluded enough and yet near the action.

Our excitement turned to dismay when we checked in- the desk clerk tried to bill us the cost for a 6 night stay when in fact we were only staying for 4 nights...with the Colones conversion this wasn't the easiest thing to figure out. Once we figured it out, he informed us that if we wanted to use a credit card, there would be a 7% extra charge above our negotiated room rate. This wouldn't be a problem if we knew beforehand (we would have brought more cash) or if the only ATM in town actually worked. For the credit card, they also used a Colones conversion rate that favored them by over 5%.

The advertised "hot water" sort of worked. It got warm for a minute or two and then we had to reset the circut breaker (by the second day I knew where the circut breaker was and would just go out of my room in a towel to reset it). It is also pretty hot and humid outside so you don't necessarily need hot water.

Overall, the hotel was in a great location within the town of Montezuma and if you bring cash (colones) and don't need hot water, it is a good lower cost option.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — extra fees at check-in
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hotel_Tajalin, Manager at Hotel El Tajalin, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Thanks for your review. Hotel El Tajalin is under new management since October 2011 and are on top of all of your complaints. We are also in close contact with previous management and have spoken with them about what happened to you in 2009.

As of 2011, I'd say your title could say: "Good Location, ATM is next door if necessary, and Do Expect Hot Water since all rooms have it (just let us know if it's not working so we can fix it)." =)

The hotel receptionist billing you for 6 nights instead of 4 was surely a misunderstanding. The receptionist has nothing to gain by doing so as he does not earn a commission. Good thing you caught the mistake in time and so sorry for any inconvenience.

If the room rate or any surcharges were not communicated with you properly, we apologize. We assure you that our current confirmation email mentions full and complete charges so that there are no misunderstandings. We also use the bank issued conversion rate as it changes daily. That's the best possible conversion rate you will find anywhere.

By the way, when paying by credit card (now or when you came in 2009), there is no conversion rate since you can enter the charge in Colones or Dollars in the machine. Since our rates are in Dollars, we charge in Dollars. You were quoted in Dollars so I'm not sure what happened but it was probably another misunderstanding.

Our hot water showers in every bathroom have not given us a problem since we took over as managers in Oct. 2011. If anyone has an issue with their showers, please see us so we can fix it or move you to another room. We're happy to help.

Pura vida!!
Caracas, Venezuela
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

Very: clean, friendly, safe, quiet, close to the beach. If that weren't enough, the balcony is huge and lined with hammocks and has coffee ready to go right away in the morning. The hardwood floors are beautiful, too.

If you are looking for a resort, this (really Montezuma at all) is not the place for you... it's not a place with frills. But if you are looking for a clean, safe, comfortable place to stay in Montezuma, definitely check it out.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

This hotel has a great location, downtown and close to the beach. The rooms are clean, the staff are extremely friendly and most nights there is a security guard on duty.

At 8 a.m. fresh coffee on a balcony with hammocks and lunge chairs is provided.

Good for couples, families, and groups.

Best place to stay if you are looking for a moderately priced, clean hotel, with a prime location!

• Liked — The friendly staff, and the great location.
  • Disliked — The balcony is only open until 10 p.m.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lake Tahoe, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

I had just left a 10 day tour with 44 people @ 4-5 star hotels and decided to stay extra days alone in Montezuma. I contacted them by email after finding them in a tour book. I paid $55 cash colones for a 5% discount over credit card prices during high season (Feb.) . It had been recommended to get a second floor room but they were more expensive but I had a big room, very sparse, looking at the park out my window that had many iguanas in the trees. It didn't seem to have hot water but since it was so hot I didn't feel the need for it. I loved the location, which I was originally worried about since it was only a few yards from the busy downtown (small 3 block area). But I found it very quiet at night and convenient to a beautiful beach, rest., stores, tour companies, all 5 minute walking distance. Since I'm a senior, I noticed other seniors also staying in this hotel. The staff was very helpful with helping make other reservations for me. The balcony was lovely and breezy. When at the hotel I spent my time there instead of my room when not out and about. Free coffee in the morning on the balcony was very nice.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
Köln
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2008

We booked our stay in Costa Rica very late and during the highest season..... So all the beautiful hotels were already fully booked. So we came to El Tajalin. This hotel has got a nice and helpful staff. The rooms are clean but we had an room in the groundfloor with a window pointing to a wall, so it was only good to leave our bags in, to sleep and have a shower. The room was quite spacious, but very dark. In the 2nd floor are much nicer, brighter rooms available. There is no breakfast included, but on the top of the builing is a nice terrace for all the guests with hammocks, vans and free coffee. As we paied only 60 US Dollars per night, we were not expecting to much.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel El Tajalin? Share your experiences!