“Great Place, Tough Sleeping” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Luna Llena Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Luna Llena Hotel
Save Saved
You added Luna Llena Hotel to your Saves list
50 Mt From Downtown, Montezuma 6111, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #6 of 19 hotels in Montezuma
Providence, Rhode Island
“Great Place, Tough Sleeping”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

Really enjoyed my visits during the day at this hotel. The lady who ran it was very nice, and she let us check in several hours early. She held our bags, and recommended some stuff in town for us.

Parts that were great:
1) Being in the trees with the monkeys was fun. You pretty much rent out a room that is built into the hillside, and every afternoon the monkeys show up. It's like you are up in the trees with the monkeys. First came the capuchins and then the howlers. Every day for our 4 days was like this.

2) The setting was lovely, and the common area was charming. Enjoyed the kitchen, watching tv, and playing cards in the common area.

the bad things:

1) You get a REALLY small fan in your room. Just a standard oscillating fan that is on the wall, and it really doesn't give off too much air. It gets stifiling at Moctezuma, and the lack of air really hurts. I didn't sleep well one night at the Luna LLena. And I had some bad luck as well, one night a spider was crawling on my back. Scared the hell out of me. That doesn't say anything about the quality of the room, but it didn't enhance my experience in any way. What do you expect when you rent a cottage in the trees?

2) The location was very close to town, but anybody who doesn't walk well better rethink this place. The whole property is built on the hillside, and you need to climb quite a few stairs to get where you are going. Also, it's a 4 minute walk from town, but the walk in STRAIGHT UPHILL. I was winded, and I feel like I am in decent shape.

All in all, a good place, but you could probably find a bit more for your money if you search hard.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

152 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
lvcrpurevida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

me and a freind stayed there 2 nights it more of a low cost but its nice and clean shared bathrooms and if you want to learn to surf talk to chris the owner he can teach you and is a good teacher got me up and had a blast next time i go im going to stay agin the only thing is the walk up the hill kinda sucks just becuase of the humidty

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Nanaimo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

We stayed at the Luna LLena for eight days and found it was just great. Staff is friendly and can answer all your questions. Milli and Chris can set you up with any thing you want to see or do in the area. The staff speak both Spanish &English. Rooms cleaned everyday, very fun comunity kitchen, lots of showers and bathrooms that are clean, saw lots of monkeys and my first anteater , armadillo, and the view of the water right out the lower shower is very cool..
Its a great place to meet travellers and Milli and Chris have a fun bring your own food B.B.Q. night that is lots of fun. Its about a one min walk to town thats very well lit at night. Room # 9 and #6 are pretty cool!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

Costa Rica is one of those destinations that has been on my to-go list forever and finally traveling there was everything I imagined it would be. Waterfalls, check. Jungle-like setting, check. Tons of mosquito bites, oh-boy-check! Delicious local cuisine with scrumptious plantains, check. Snorkeling, check. Beauitful beaches, check!! After getting feedback on where to go in Costa Rica, we decided on Montezuma, a hippie beach town located in the province of Puntarenas and we were very content with that choice.

I found Luna Llena through tripadvisor.com, which was my first time using the site, and I'm glad we chose to stay there. We initially booked two nights at cabina #8 with a private bathroom, but decided to stay one more night in Montezuma (waiting for AA to delivery my long lost luggage, but I won't go there)--but since #8 was booked on the third night, we checked into a different cabina nearby with a shared outdoor bathroom. We liked Luna Llena because it had that rustic, jungle feel to it (no TV in room, and surrounded by trees), but I'd have to admit that I preferred #8 over the other cabina. The #8 cabina had its own private balcony that overlooked trees, and we got to spot a gigantic lizard, gecko or whatever reptile it was and even a monkey jumping from one branch to another. We even woke up to the sound of monkeys pitter pattering on our roof.

The bed had a mosquito covering, which we used every night, yet despite that and practically drenching myself in anti-bug lotion, I was still a BIG target. The hotel service was exceptional and location-wise was perfect for us, but Luna Llena might not be for everyone. But for a traveller who likes to experience local life, I certainly did feel like a local who lived on Montezuma beach and not just a tourist on vacation for a few days.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

For an environmentally-friendly place, Luna Llena delights, however, you need to expect no luxuries: there are shared bathrooms (no paper toilettes), communal kitchen areas and no air conditioning. I stayed in room #4 and needed to take a shower before bed in order to stay cool throughout the night. The staff is very accomodating, the grounds are lush and wildlife (monkeys, agouti, spotted skunk, ctenasaurs) is always nearby - almost too close at times. The beach and town is a stone's throw away.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

My girlfriend and I recently stayed 3 nights at Luna Llena in Montezuma, and it was absolutely incredible. We stayed in #6, which was amazing and had a spectacular view of the ocean. The people we met there were all really nice and the whole place had a very relaxing, laid back feel, just the way a place in paradise should! Chris and Millie (the two owners) are very nice and incredibly helpful. If you have even the slightest interest in surfing, Chris is the man to talk to. We took a surf lesson from him and it was phenomenal. Fun and informative without being overbearing, just the way I think a surf lesson should be. Overall, an amazing experience and one I would highly recommend!!
Thanks for everything Chris and Millie!!

Jamie and Jackie

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

We reserved the hotel based on the pictures and reviews on the internet. It was not what we expected it to be. We have cabin #8, the only one with a private bath which made us at least feel better. The room was too small for 4 people so our two relatives have to chek in to another hotel. Be careful with this room, we went home with bed bug bites and are still nursing them after a week. My husband had to jiggle the key and lift the door to open the room. If you like living in a tree house minus the bed bugs, this is for you.

Good thing about this hotel is they reserved a taxi for us going to the airport.

Jesse and Evelyn
Puyallup, WA USA

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Been to Luna Llena Hotel? Share your experiences!