“unique place in the jungle” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Luna Llena Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Luna Llena Hotel
You added Luna Llena Hotel to your Saves list
50 Mt From Downtown, Montezuma 6111, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Minneapolis
“unique place in the jungle”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights over New Years and we had a great time! This is more of a backpackers place, so it's not for people who are looking for anything fancy. We really liked the location, the vibe of the place and the people. We stayed in room number 6, which have been refered to as the "honeymoon suite". We really liked our little hut - it had fantastic views and a patio area with a table and chairs were we had breakfast every morning looking at the ocean (and the monkeys jumping around). Our hut had a sink, but no toilet - you had to share that with a few other people.

On New Years Eve the owners put together a party at the hostel and gave out glow sticks to everyone. We then had a glow parade walking down to the town center where there was a huge street party, bands playing in the street and bonfires and fireworks at the beach. It was a blast!

Pros: Great staff, great location just outside of the bustling town center, nice views, good people, great monkey watching, you feel like you live in the jungle.

Cons: Very warm at night (despite the fan), bugs (you are OK if you sleep under the mosquito net), monkeys that keep you up at night, shared bathrooms.

Over all we were very happy that we stayed at Luna Llena during our visit to Montezuma, however, after 3 nights we were ready to move on to a more quiet place with airconditioning :)

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2009

My husband and I stayed here one night during a trip through Costa Rica. We booked online, and it appeared to be nice. It is in a nice location in Montezuma, but the condition was not that great. I would not recommend this to anyone for the price. We passed back through Montezuma at the end of our trip and found a very nice hotel for $10 more that had air conditioning, private showers, pool and a comfortable bed. I would recommend not booking accommodations and finding somewhere when you get there. Keep in mind, however, that we were there in mid-November so there were vacancies.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
CabuyaSurfClub, owner at Luna Llena Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2009
We know we are not for everyone. If you need air conditioning don't come to Luna Llena.

We are full 10 months out of the year, so many guests do enjoy what we offer. Too bad this guest was not one of them.

Smiles from the Fun Crew at Luna Llean Hotel
new york city
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2009

single room had no window and a fan and lumpy foam bed...horrible inbetween 2 other
rooms sharing a bath and a closet outdoor shower....safe deposit box was a very difficult
metal box with lock if you could pry open the door...when I asked if the rooms were robbed
they replied with a shrug "of course"...unless you are 5 people sharing a room with bunk
beds on a shoestring budget would not think of staying there as there are nice places
for $10 with orthapetic matresses in montezuma and airconditioned places for $5 more than their $25 price for a single...ugh...

Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the hotel and didn't want to leave it or Montezuma. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the location great, and the vibe relaxing. Just make sure to keep your luggage closed, as mine was visited by a colony of ants who had apparently decided to use one of my sneakers as a nursery. Other than that, great wildlife spotting, great town, and great hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
san diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

I stayed at the Luna Llena with 2 friends in July. What stands out the most about this hotel is the staff. Chris (I believe the owner) is a very charismatic guy with the innate ability to draw all his guests together and make them feel like old friends. He arranged for a full moon barbecue on one of the evenings and surfed with his guests during the day (If given the chance to see Chris in the water, do it….this guy puts on a show on his long board). As far as the hotel itself, it was adequate. The room we stayed in was quite warm despite the use of ceiling fans. Upon mentioning this to the front desk we were given a swivel floor fan which helped. As mentioned in previous posts the room was a bit dingy and not in perfect repair but given the incredible surroundings it is a small price to pay. Simply open your front door and you have an ocean view and will likely see monkeys darting from one tree to another. I would recommend this hotel to travelers who are simply looking for a place to rest their head while exploring Costa Rica and can do without the niceties of a couple star hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Southport, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

I've been reading some of the negative reviews about Montezuma and Luna Llena Hotel on this site and I just want to say a few words in defense of both. I have been to Montezuma twice in the last two years and of all my travels all over the world this is the finest little corner of the planet I have found. It's not for everybody, but if you take the time to read about it ahead of time, they don't claim to be. It's not a sterile 5-star resort full of frigid people and overpriced hotels and restaurants and gift shops full of stuff made in China and thank God for that! It's a laid back, relaxing retreat from the big ugly outside world where you can enjoy yourself without any hassles. Chris and the crew at Luna Llena are the nicest people you could meet and extremely helpful and willing to make your stay in Montezuma as enjoyable as possible. Luna Llena is the perfect place to stay in Montezuma. It is right on the edge of town so everything is a five-minute walk, without being right in the middle of the somewhat noisy nightlife. My cabina was clean as a pin (I had two women with me so we booked the one with the private bath, but for a guy traveling alone like I usually do, there are more than enough shared baths for everybody with no waiting). This was one of the girls' first trips outside the USA (the very first for one of them) and they were so enchanted with the place it's all they can talk about. If you are traveling to Costa Rica, Montezuma should definitely be high on your list of places to visit, and Luna Llena should be at the top of your list of places to stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Phoenix
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

Luna Llena was a very interesting pick for my 3 night stay in Montezuma. The positive notes...Cool to see the white face monkeys and feed them, despite the hike uphill it was nice to be away from the main section of Montezuma, stay was nice and the staff was friendly and provided all the necessary info for my excursions and adventures. Luna Llena provided a shared refrig in my area, decent kitchen area, security box and the staff locked up my belongings after checkout so I could do some last minute exploring. Price was right for the time I was there. The negative / odd notes...met a security guard ? who was dressed in plain clothes hanging around my area near cabin 4&5 during the morning hours. Not sure exactly who he was because my spanish was very rusty. He spoke a little English but seemed out of place. Saw him there for 2 mornings but not my last. Nice guy, had brief conversations...probably should have asked more questions. Cleanliness is below standard...The last night I got nailed by bed bugs, fleas or some other bug /critter when I awoke to checkout the last morning of my stay. Despite being under the mosquito net, I never felt or noticed my intruders. I kinda wonder when those sheets or bedding was last changed/washed..If not for my last night, I would have gave Luna Llena a better review.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
CabuyaSurfClub, owner at Luna Llena Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2009
We find it hard to believe that you mentioned bed bugs or fleas as the problem you experienced on the last night. If we had some sort of infestation it would not just show up on your last night. Si o No?

Our Unique Hotel is not for everyone. We know this. However, this year we were booked solid from November 1st till September 5th. Over 10 months with no rooms open, means we must be able to please most of the people, most of the time.

To bad you had a bad night, and felt compelled to write about it, instead of focusing on all the good we offer.

We will continue to try our best to create positive vacation experiences.

Been to Luna Llena Hotel? Share your experiences!