“A Great Place to Relax” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Luna Llena Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Luna Llena Hotel
50 Mt From Downtown, Montezuma 6111, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #6 of 19 hotels in Montezuma
Toronto, Canada
“A Great Place to Relax”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Having stayed in a few places in Montezuma, I can say that Luna Llena is my favourite. Not far up the hill that leads north out of town, it's priced between the low and mid range for the area, depending on what room you get. There are inexpensive dorm beds, more private rooms with shared spaces, and at least one room with a private shower and bathroom. Since that's the room we stayed in, that what this review is based on.

Luna Llena is comfortable, clean, and terraced, with reception, shared lounging areas and the kitchen, and the dorm rooms all in the same building right up at the top. There's a great view of the sunrise through the trees, and having the lounging areas and kitchen in such close proximity makes it easy to meet other travellers, or make food and wander off to your own spot. I know that the management has little control over the quality of its guests, but when we stayed there there were several really lovely guests with who I remain in touch; the sociable layout of Luna Llena really helped facilitate our meeting.

Luna Llena does not pretend to be a high-end spa or resort, and it sits beautifully in the trees, so you should expect simple accommodations (and that is not a slight, just an observation - and why travel to Costa Rica to sit inside?) and the likelihood of wildlife visitors outside of your room. We encountered titi and spider monkeys, a coati, and a variety of birds - all at a distance, but close enough to make for great pictures. The folks at Luna Llena also hold the house rules regarding safety seriously, but that never stopped any of them from being pleasant and helpful. For LGBT* travellers, our hosts (and guests) were perfectly lovely to this gay tourist and his husband.

The hotel is also a short walk from the centre of Montezuma, its many beautiful beaches, waterfalls, and the refreshing Piedras Coloradas (on the way to Playa Grande). And though there was a water shortage while we stayed at Luna Llena, the staff went out of their way to make sure there was enough water for us to make meals and clean up.

We plan to return to Montezuma and Luna Llena. It's priced just right for what it offers and, like Montezuma itself, strikes a nice balance between rustic and manicured, busy and off the beaten track.

Room Tip: If you want a private bathroom, get room 8 - and reserve well ahead for the high season!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

147 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

The hotel is really beautiful and clean. There is a barbecue. The ocean view is not as amazing as expected because we can only sea the sea through the trees (even for the most expensive rooms) As we are surrounding by jungle, we can hear and see animals like monkeys and squirrels and it's really enjoyable. Be careful if you have heavy bags,there are a lot of stairs to get to the rooms! It's five minutes walk from the beach. There is only one ATM so that it can be useful to withdraw money in another city before coming.as it was out of service during our stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Berea, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights and loved my stay!! I traveled solo and got a private room. The grounds are really beautiful and make you feel as if there's nothing else around. I also had a nice ocean view from my room. Hard to beat for the price. You're also just a short walk from the restaurants and bar. Yes BAR...there is only one, but it is a rather charming place. If I were going back to Montezuma I would stay at Luna Llena again in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I had a great experience at Luna Llena. Everything was very clean and comfortable. My room was simple (bed, table, fan, and light), but was all I needed because really, if you´re spending a lot of time in your room, you´re doing it wrong!

The shared bathrooms and showers were very clean, as was the fully equipped kitchen. The common areas were welcoming, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. My laptop did not fit in the safe provided in the room, so they kept it in the office safe for me during my stay. They booked my water taxi to Jaco for no additional premium to the prices in town.

One morning I woke up to a monkey staring at me when I left my room, and another morning there was an ant eater roaming around. Lots of wildlife in the trees surrounding the hotel, which I loved!

Because it is low season now, I was able to get a bigger room for a cheaper price. The only downside was the that wifi was spotty, but that can be expected anywhere in Costa Rica. All in all, I was very happy with my stay at Luna Llena, and I would go back again when I return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I showed up at Luna Llena and walked up the series of steps to find out they were booked solid. I was treated like dirt the second some German woman, with zero to no people skills, found out I didn't have reservations. I talked with fellow travelers I met the following day who had their reservation cancelled because they were an hour late for check in and the owner was, as they put it, "awful and mean". Luna Llena is located off of a windy steep road and away from the fun. I can't comment on the condition of the rooms or cleanliness, just the rude staff.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Milly A, Propietario at Luna Llena Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Guests, I would like to apologize for any unpleasant moments in our hotel in the past. From the beginning of December until Easter weekend, we get really busy. To avoid any inconvenient situations, please make a reservation. Also, if anything comes in your way and you will not make it in time, please call us. In these months sometimes people are in line hoping to get a room. It is not always easy to handle stressed out travellers but we do our best as always to accommodate everyone. Safe travelings and sunny regards from Milly & Staff.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here just for one night on a Saturday. I had a single room, which was small but clean and comfy. The hotel put on a BBQ that night, which was excellent. A really sociable, relaxed place with very helpful and accommodating staff.

• Stayed September 2013
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed at Luna LLena our first night in Montezuma and had a nice time. We stayed in Cabin 8, the private cabin with a private bath/shower and patio. It was a lot smaller than we expected, but it was very nice. Milly, the owner, was so sweet and helpful. The lounge they have by the office is fantastic! It was so peaceful and quiet (almost too quiet!). They have a kitchen you can help yourself too, a book exchange, they had some light music playing and several couches, chairs, tables, hammocks, etc. I'd have to say the only pain was the ATV's and quads driving were so loud at night. I don't know how much you can avoid that though. The fan in the room came in handy! We were able to sleep comfortably in terms of humidity. Bring a flashlight if you're walking up and down the steps at night! It's pitch black, slippery and steep (that would probably be the only other small complaint I have). All in all, a great stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Luna Llena Hotel? Share your experiences!