“Professional” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 23 Activities in Montezuma
More attraction details
Owner description: Zuma Tours, your ocean experts in Montezuma since 1993, Tortuga Island Tour, Snorkeling, Scuba Diving, Taxi Boat to Jaco & Montezuma, Connections w/ Mal Pais & Santa Teresa, San Jose, Airport, Manuel Antonio, Sport Fishing, Also: Horseback Rides, ATV Rentals, Canopy Tour, Surfing, Cabo Blanco and Curu reserves. From accommodation to transportation, everything in one company. Zuma Tours: the most reliable and professional tour company in Montezuma
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Montreal, Canada
“Professional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We used Zuma Tours to get from Jaco to Montezuma. This is by far the fastest and cheapest way to get to the NIcoya Peninsula. Pick up and drop off was spot on time. The staff was friendly, knowledgeable and very professional. They stopped along the way to show us dolphins an turtles.

We used Zuma Tours again a few days later for the Tortuga Island snorkelling trip. Once again they were on time. Smooth ride to the Island and great snorkelling. The only downfall I can say about this company is that I wish the guide would have come in the water for snorkelling. We were left to go out on our own, which is perfect for us since we are experienced but I think less experienced snorkelers or first timers would have appreciated a little guidance. Lunch was included in this trip and was prepared by Zuma staff - great lunch! On our way back the wind had picked up and waters were very choppy, the driver of the boat obviously was very experienced and knew how to maneuver the boat.
NOTE: There are no bathroom facilities on Tortuga Island for Zuma Tours clients (this is not their fault)... you have to use ''Plan B''

Good job Zuma Tours!

4 attraction reviews
“Did the job”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We went across the peninsula to Jaco and then transferred to our hotel in Quepos. That was fine but we didn't like the begging letter on the boat asking for a tip. This was the most annoying thing on our month in Costa Rica. They already had $160 from us and they wanted more. America has brought it's tipping culture and tourist trap restaurants down to CR and turned the Ticos into beggars. They should ask the people they work for for a payrise. It is demeaning and brings down the service. This was my second and final visit to CR as it no longer exists, it is now an overdeveloped overpriced American sewer.
Next stop Nicaragua...

North Plains
“zumatours”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Ivan's house for a week in December 2012. We booked travel to and from Alajuela (shuttle and water taxi), and the Tortuga Island snorkeling outing. Besides daily encounters with the owner, Ivan, we experienced 8-12 staff members of this company in various roles. Every interaction with any of these people was helpful, professional, and very friendly. There were a number of special things they did for us well beyond the call of duty. Ivan is a star. I recommend them without reservation and look forward to an early return.

Visited December 2012
“Best way to travel to Nicoya Pennisula”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I was very nervous about taking a water taxi for an hour from Montezuma to Jaco. It was THE BEST and most affordable way to travel between the two points and very affordable. That is the only way I would travel next time. The people at Zuma Tours in Montezuma were very friendly and helpful too. It was a great experience! Would definately do it again using Zuma Tours

Reno, Nevada
4 attraction reviews
“Loads of Fun”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

It is funny. I just read some of the previous reviews for Zuma tours, and frankly I'm surprised by the amount of negativity!

Personally, my wife and I had a fantastic time with Zuma Tours. We wen't to Isla Tortuga for the day. The boat was NOT overcrowded, nor was the captain compromising safety.

We started our voyage out of the fishing area in Montezuma. The boat quickly took us over to Isla Tortuga (about a 45 minute ride). Once we arrived there, the captain dropped off the rest of the crew so that they could prepare lunch for us. While the crew prepared lunch, we wen't snorkeling. We got some of the BEST video of our entire trip from this one adventure. We stopped in two different snorkeling spots that both had great local marine life to view.

Once we arrived back at Isla Tortuga, we ate lunch and hung out on the beach. While there we met some Europeans and played some volleyball with them. I felt like a yank. After that we packed up and headed back to Montezuma after a nice full/fun day!

You might be wondering why I gave this an "Average" score above. This is why:
The whole operation is a bit of a tourist trap. Just be prepared for this and it'll be fine.
The boat ride was very scenic and nice, but 45 minutes through ocean swells can be daunting for some.
Even though the lunch was fresh-caught fish, it wasn't very tasty. The crew may be better boat handlers than cooks
The actual island itself (Isla Tortuga) isn't what you expect. In reality, it's a tourist beach. Pretty though it may be, it still had things like rental chairs and the like on the beach. Plus one thing that was a bit strange: Zuma Tours was not the only group on the beach during that time. There were tons of other tour groups also on the beach so it really did seem touristy. In fact, it was the most touristy thing I did in Costa Rica.

All in all, it was totally worth it. The marine life we saw snorkeling was unparalleled, and the video I got from it was amazing. There were just things that could have been a bit better.

Visited November 2012