“Nice rooms, good breakfast but overpriced” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Cascada

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel La Cascada
You added Hotel La Cascada to your Saves list
Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
“Nice rooms, good breakfast but overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012 via mobile

We stayed two nights in la cascada in january '12 because almost all other hotels and hostels were full!! La cascada was almost empty, but rooms are clean and nice, breakfast is ok but 50$ a night is too expensive for montezuma! Front desk wasnt very friendly. The waterfalls are nice and we had monkeys in front of the hotel! Best beach in montezuma is playa las manchas

• Stayed January 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Suburb of Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

This was a dismal experience. I stayed here while taking surfing lessons with La Escuela del Sol. When we arrived, we lugged our suitcases up the stairs to the lobby and rang for the receptionist. She came out dressed like a homeless person with a bandana on her head. The room was completely void of any decor whatsoever. There wasn't even a window and there was no a/c. The only air came through the tiny bathroom which had no place to out your stuff even though it had plenty of blank walls crying out for shelves to be hung. The wifi was available occasionally if you stood in exactly the right spot. The room was so stuffy and the bed unbelievably uncomfortable that I slept outside in a hammock. I didn't mind the bugs in the room but my roommate did and she sprayed OFF everywhere which just made everything worse for me. The hotel is right by some rapids from a waterfall and you can hear it and the surf from the open air lobby but not from the claustrophobic rooms. Cars and ATVs go by loudly 24/7 and they spit out noxious exhaust -awful smelling non-pura vida. I would avoid this hotel if you can possibly afford another option.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the a/c but don't put your clothes under it because it drips continuously.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

This hotel has a great balcony with hammocks that overlook the sea. The rooms are small but pleasant. We paid extra for air conditioning which I would say was essential! The location is close to the track to the waterfall and a very short walk to the main village. Having said all of that, it wasn't quite what we expected. There was no hot water and no restaurant. We had expected breakfast to be included. Additionally there was an absence of staff the whole time we were there. It is doubtful we would have even been able to check in if a small boy hadn't told us to ring the bell. I got the impression that it was too much effort to run the hotel. When we were going out one day the cleaner asked us a question in Spanish (I am learning Spanish and didn't understand all of what she said). It transpired that she wanted to know if we had paid for air conditioning and asked us to put it on for her whilst she cleaned. I have no problem with her being cool when she cleaned but she did delay us for rather a long time to get her point across. I think this may have been a great hotel once, but there was definitely something missing during our stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

Stayed for 14 days and loved it. family run, couldn't be cleaner, excellent food. a short walk to the towns 'action' so you will hear/see monkeys, oceans, birds, etc. out your door, the ocean is a 50 yard walk, the River with majestic a waterfall borders the property. Huge balconies with a hammock for everyone to hang out, relax, nap or read in the shaded breeze. tends to attract the sophisticated young and cost concientious. no loud parties but those can be found close by in the center of town. Lovely out door restraurant. Eco conscious. Has A/C rooms that run 4 dollars more. otherwise ceiling fans seem to do the job.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Seabeck, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2009

Definitely get a room facing the ocean, otherwise you will sweat all night. We moved to a larger room at the end, facing the breeze and it was so much better, the other room was intolerable. The rooms are clean and adequate but you will spend most of your time hanging out in the hammock deck area, that is this place's saving grace, it was a great common area to talk , sleep, just hang out. There is a quaint little restaurant downstairs with good food and cold beer. The management seemed super laid back and spoke zero english. This place is a little bit of a walk to town but not inconvenient. There is abundant wildlife around this place with little gangs of monkeys that come check you out and a resident white bunny. There are beautiful flowers all around and lots of common area to hang out, just no air conditioning.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

I arrived in Montezuma without a hotel reservation thinking it would be easy to find a place to stay. Unfortunately, given the holiday travel season, almost every single room in the area was booked. After much frustration, I was able to secure a night at La Cascada. The room was very dark and smelled of mold and varnish. There were no windows in the room either, so I was not able to air the room out. After seeing the room, I immediately started walking around the area in search of a different hotel. I ran into other travelers who informed me that accommodations at other places were much, much worse - i.e., roaches in the beds, no windows, no bathrooms, etc. I gave up my search and headed back to La Cascada.

The rest of the hotel was actually quite pleasant. There is a large common area with hammocks and rocking chairs to lounge in and a pretty decent restaurant downstairs. Perhaps the room I was given was the worst room on the property given it was the last room available, but if booking a room in advance I would definitely look elsewhere. There was no hot water and no water at all in the morning.

The next day I stayed at El Sano Banano which was a significant upgrade, but also cost $95 compared to the $40 I paid at La Cascada. Couple more things to note, La Cascada does not accept credit cards and the receptionists do not speak English.

• Liked — Common areas
  • Disliked — Lack of windows in the room, smell
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sherbrooke que
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2007

Family owned, very well kept, quiet and clean hotel. Very good value for the money. Laundry service(even ironed polo shirts).

Owner found out i had just discovered and really liked ceviche. She then arranged a personal cooking(ceviche) session with the two tico chefs in the kitchen(taking little breaks to dance to the latino and reggae music playing during lesson) . An utterly awesome experience which i appreciated even more than seeing the Arenal volcano. Within 5 min. walk to Montezuma center. Would return anytime and highly recommend.

• Liked — friendliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel La Cascada? Share your experiences!