“A real break out from the usual” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nature Lodge Finca los Caballos

We can't find prices for this hotel
Nature Lodge Finca los Caballos
Main Rd. | 3 km before Montezuma on the road from Cobano, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #9 of 19 hotels in Montezuma
Amsterdam
“A real break out from the usual”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2009

I feel sorry for Christian - the owner of this really nice place! In some of these reviews he has to cope with a lot of rather bad comments from before his time what decreases the overall rating that this place deserves today. We have stayed here in April 09 and really enjoyed our stay and even extended it for 2 days.

Overall I have to say that we booked the Superior room what was worth the small amount of money more. You will have a fantastic view over the country to the ocean without anyone able to see your balcony - pure privacy! In the morning you could see howler monekys playing in the trees and birds and butterflies coming by during the day time. The room itself was clean, tidy and decorated nicely (with fresh flowers and tasteful interior). The whole property is beautifully arranged - everything very nice styled. You feel comfortable from the very beginning.

The small pool is perfect for the afternoon refresher after having been at the beach. The food is amazing and probably one of the best in town.
Regarding the location you need to take into account that having a car is useful as the place is a few km from town.

We also did some horseback riding and I have to say that it was the first time for me and I finished the trip feeling like John Wayne as the horses are really good trained and know their way. Definitely worth a try.

Overall it is one of the best places you can get in Montezuma and please do not feel irritated by the comments that are older than 2 years. The place has radically changed after Christian took it over and he will be available for any questions you may have during your visit.

Karen & Sascha

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
san francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

We just returned from our travels to Costa Rica and really enjoyed this property. It's in a beautiful location, outside of Montezuma. The grounds are lush and well maintained. From the patio we even saw monkeys and a boa! The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were tastefully done, but my only complaint was the bed. It was very soft (think foam) and the sheets did not fit. We ended up every morning with both top and bottom in the middle and we were sleeping on the mattress! Other than that, the food was good and the location/views even better. Nice way to see the jungle and its surroundings.

• Liked — The setting
  • Disliked — Bed/sheets
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

I recently was in Montezuma and I had the pleasure to stay a couple of days at this beautiful finca!
I was 100% satisfied with the excellent service and the cleanlines there. Especially the unique rooms with the tastefull interior inspired me.
If you are looking for a hotel with jungle feeling, unbeatable dinner and unforgetable views this is the right place to pick. Special thing to notice is the incredible hospitality of the whole staff. The really made this stay unforgetable - thanks or sharing your paradise with me!
SD

• Liked — equipment
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

This is one of the most beautiful properties that we stayed at when we were in Costa Rica but sadly we stayed for only one night. This hotel is definitely off the beaten path and is kind of difficult to find but that is probably us arriving at night.

The only word that can be used to describe the hotel is spiritual, but please be aware of two items:

1. The rooms DO NOT have air conditioning
2. The rooms are not closed but are naturally ventilated, such as no glass on windows but rather wood window covers and mosquito nets for true nature experience. This also means that you have no privacy even though the cabins are pretty far apart.

• Liked — Nature
  • Disliked — No A/C
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Almost Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2007

The new owners did an excellent job with remodeling the place. My wife and I had a great time there. We like to wander, so for us hotels are just places to sleep. Not this one. We spent quite a lot of time on the property, relaxing in hammocks, watching toucans, drinking cold beer. We liked the modern design of the property, the location (on a hill with view to the sea, far away from the busy Moctezuma), the jungle view from our room, drinking coffee in the morning on the terrace, too much to list here. Don't miss the horseback rides: the surroundings are amazing and the horses can move pretty briskly. I agree with another reviewer that dinner can be a bit pricey. Overall, highly recommended.

• Liked — The jungle and sea views
  • Disliked — too far away from my home
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Long Beach, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2007

I am so sad to say that I was only able to stay at the Nature Lodge for 2 days!!!!!

Room was simple, clean and perfect! Fresh flowers brough to the room in a big beautiful vase, flowers over the bed and flowers in the bathroom were a great touch for me.

Pre-made CD's (3) were so perfect for the environment I kept playing them over and over again.

Outdoor shower - NEED I SAY MORE!

Gourmet dinner (both nights) was nothing shy of delicious. The menu changed nightly which was awesome. And by the way, YOU get to decide if you want to eat in the dining area, veranda OR your personal room/balcony

Staff - a little difficult in communication with them but they were very sweet and very accomodating.

I got a chance to talk with the owner for a bit regarding the renovation that he completed to make the property so beautiful. He was so kind as to even show me the "before" pictures. All I could say is WOW! What a wonderful job.

It must be nice to live in Paradise! I highly recommend this hotel to anyone! It was a very romantic stay for my husband and myself.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2007

My husband and I enjoyed a two night stay in Montezuma. We had read the reviews in both Fodor´s and Trip Advisor and decided to give it a try. When we arrived the manager had gone to the store so the kitchen staff was kind enough to help us check in and find our room. The room was very nice, clean, but the windows in the room lacked screens and the door did not have a footboard so small creatures found their way into our room. (And one very large AND SCARY flying cicada too!!) There was a fan which helped, but it was very warm at night, A-C would have been much appreciated. The water at the hotel is not potable so they provide you with bottled water (which they ran out of during our second day, but the staff went to the store and we received two bottles later on that afternoon). Unfortunately, my husband kept forgetting that the water was not potable and brushed his teeth many times without the water bottles (he did survive though!!). =) (We were initally charged for two bottles of water at the time of checkout but this error was quickly rectified.). We had a ¨Jungle View¨ room, but unlike the Caribbean coast, the jungle here is more dry forest. We did hear many howler monkies at night!! There was a hammock on our balcony which was nice and the king bed was much appreciated! The pool seemed nice but I didn´t use it, my husband said it was refreshing after such a warm day.

Breakfast was a simple buffet of fruits, vegetables, meats, and cereal. We enjoyed the chocolate crepe special one of the mornings as well. (Unfortunately, this was one of the smaller complimentary breakfasts that we enjoyed during our stay in Costa Rica) The dinner menu seemed a bit scatted (originally not typed up, as it changes daily) and a bit pricey so we went into town and enjoyed sushi at Chico´s Restaurant (directly on the beach) and then Sano Banano (DELICIOUS!!), both restaurants very reasonably pricied but Chico´s didn´t take credit cards!! FYI!

My husband and I also decided to do the Horseback ride to the Vista of the Ocean. It was fabulous. It was 2.5 hours and perfect. Our guide showed us monkeys and birds along the way. He was also very knowledgeable about the flowers and the plants indigenous to that area. As this was my first time on a horse, I was slightly afraid but we trotted and galloped at times and the guide made me comfortable throughout the entire trip. It was a perfect trip that ended with a nice sandwich lunch provided in the cost of your trip ($18 per hour, per person).

Overall, the rooms were clean, the hotel is slightly distant from the town (we had a car, so not a problemr), and it was fine stay. We´ve stayed at better and we´ve stayed at worse.

• Liked — Rustic Southwesteren Motif
  • Disliked — Location, no window screens, no AC
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Nature Lodge Finca los Caballos? Share your experiences!