“Jungleness accommodations outside of Montezuma” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nature Lodge Finca los Caballos

We can't find prices for this hotel
Nature Lodge Finca los Caballos
You added Nature Lodge Finca los Caballos to your Saves list
Main Rd. | 3 km before Montezuma on the road from Cobano, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
san francisco
“Jungleness accommodations outside of Montezuma”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

We just returned from our travels to Costa Rica and really enjoyed this property. It's in a beautiful location, outside of Montezuma. The grounds are lush and well maintained. From the patio we even saw monkeys and a boa! The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were tastefully done, but my only complaint was the bed. It was very soft (think foam) and the sheets did not fit. We ended up every morning with both top and bottom in the middle and we were sleeping on the mattress! Other than that, the food was good and the location/views even better. Nice way to see the jungle and its surroundings.

• Liked — The setting
  • Disliked — Bed/sheets
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

I recently was in Montezuma and I had the pleasure to stay a couple of days at this beautiful finca!
I was 100% satisfied with the excellent service and the cleanlines there. Especially the unique rooms with the tastefull interior inspired me.
If you are looking for a hotel with jungle feeling, unbeatable dinner and unforgetable views this is the right place to pick. Special thing to notice is the incredible hospitality of the whole staff. The really made this stay unforgetable - thanks or sharing your paradise with me!
SD

• Liked — equipment
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

This is one of the most beautiful properties that we stayed at when we were in Costa Rica but sadly we stayed for only one night. This hotel is definitely off the beaten path and is kind of difficult to find but that is probably us arriving at night.

The only word that can be used to describe the hotel is spiritual, but please be aware of two items:

1. The rooms DO NOT have air conditioning
2. The rooms are not closed but are naturally ventilated, such as no glass on windows but rather wood window covers and mosquito nets for true nature experience. This also means that you have no privacy even though the cabins are pretty far apart.

• Liked — Nature
  • Disliked — No A/C
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Almost Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2007

The new owners did an excellent job with remodeling the place. My wife and I had a great time there. We like to wander, so for us hotels are just places to sleep. Not this one. We spent quite a lot of time on the property, relaxing in hammocks, watching toucans, drinking cold beer. We liked the modern design of the property, the location (on a hill with view to the sea, far away from the busy Moctezuma), the jungle view from our room, drinking coffee in the morning on the terrace, too much to list here. Don't miss the horseback rides: the surroundings are amazing and the horses can move pretty briskly. I agree with another reviewer that dinner can be a bit pricey. Overall, highly recommended.

• Liked — The jungle and sea views
  • Disliked — too far away from my home
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Long Beach, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2007

I am so sad to say that I was only able to stay at the Nature Lodge for 2 days!!!!!

Room was simple, clean and perfect! Fresh flowers brough to the room in a big beautiful vase, flowers over the bed and flowers in the bathroom were a great touch for me.

Pre-made CD's (3) were so perfect for the environment I kept playing them over and over again.

Outdoor shower - NEED I SAY MORE!

Gourmet dinner (both nights) was nothing shy of delicious. The menu changed nightly which was awesome. And by the way, YOU get to decide if you want to eat in the dining area, veranda OR your personal room/balcony

Staff - a little difficult in communication with them but they were very sweet and very accomodating.

I got a chance to talk with the owner for a bit regarding the renovation that he completed to make the property so beautiful. He was so kind as to even show me the "before" pictures. All I could say is WOW! What a wonderful job.

It must be nice to live in Paradise! I highly recommend this hotel to anyone! It was a very romantic stay for my husband and myself.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2007

My husband and I enjoyed a two night stay in Montezuma. We had read the reviews in both Fodor´s and Trip Advisor and decided to give it a try. When we arrived the manager had gone to the store so the kitchen staff was kind enough to help us check in and find our room. The room was very nice, clean, but the windows in the room lacked screens and the door did not have a footboard so small creatures found their way into our room. (And one very large AND SCARY flying cicada too!!) There was a fan which helped, but it was very warm at night, A-C would have been much appreciated. The water at the hotel is not potable so they provide you with bottled water (which they ran out of during our second day, but the staff went to the store and we received two bottles later on that afternoon). Unfortunately, my husband kept forgetting that the water was not potable and brushed his teeth many times without the water bottles (he did survive though!!). =) (We were initally charged for two bottles of water at the time of checkout but this error was quickly rectified.). We had a ¨Jungle View¨ room, but unlike the Caribbean coast, the jungle here is more dry forest. We did hear many howler monkies at night!! There was a hammock on our balcony which was nice and the king bed was much appreciated! The pool seemed nice but I didn´t use it, my husband said it was refreshing after such a warm day.

Breakfast was a simple buffet of fruits, vegetables, meats, and cereal. We enjoyed the chocolate crepe special one of the mornings as well. (Unfortunately, this was one of the smaller complimentary breakfasts that we enjoyed during our stay in Costa Rica) The dinner menu seemed a bit scatted (originally not typed up, as it changes daily) and a bit pricey so we went into town and enjoyed sushi at Chico´s Restaurant (directly on the beach) and then Sano Banano (DELICIOUS!!), both restaurants very reasonably pricied but Chico´s didn´t take credit cards!! FYI!

My husband and I also decided to do the Horseback ride to the Vista of the Ocean. It was fabulous. It was 2.5 hours and perfect. Our guide showed us monkeys and birds along the way. He was also very knowledgeable about the flowers and the plants indigenous to that area. As this was my first time on a horse, I was slightly afraid but we trotted and galloped at times and the guide made me comfortable throughout the entire trip. It was a perfect trip that ended with a nice sandwich lunch provided in the cost of your trip ($18 per hour, per person).

Overall, the rooms were clean, the hotel is slightly distant from the town (we had a car, so not a problemr), and it was fine stay. We´ve stayed at better and we´ve stayed at worse.

• Liked — Rustic Southwesteren Motif
  • Disliked — Location, no window screens, no AC
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
france
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2007

we spent 3 days in finca los caballos. We already been there in 2001, the place haven't much change it's wonderful place with amazing nature around with lot of incredibly beautiful prowling around.
your are in the middle of nature ( or nowhere ?) with nigth sound of nature and monkeys ( very near ) screaming wake up .
bedrooms are nice they have been refurbished and price/ quality are good. staff are sympatic uthat's for the good things.
the bad sides :
1) choose your bedroom away from the kitchen and deskoffice that could be noisy during the day even if you like opera.
2) Breakfast even if you have scenic place for breakfast quantity are not enough and quality could be better.
3) food: dinner price is steepy and fly too high for quality proposed very expensive for quantity and even quality stop trying to imitate europeancooking and add quantity to your offer.

Sum up:
A real wonderful place with synpatic staff nice bedroom quite with only nature sound with incredibly beautiful landscape
and trails with riding possibilities for a very fair price.

• Liked — real nature around scenic view place without egal
  • Disliked — never accet to dinner thereor bring your prefered sandwich if you like good food and quantity !
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)