“Great location, great value, great service” 5 of 5 stars

El Sano Banano Village Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Main Road - Town Center, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Athens, Georgia
“Great location, great value, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We spent three nights at hotel and in Montezuma as part of a two week CR trip. We are three old friends who were last in CR in the mid 70s. First time to Montezuma. What a great little beach town and what a wonderfull hotel. El Sano Banano could not have a better location. The rooms, facilities, meals all exceeded our expectations and are a real bargain. Great complimentary breakfasts. Be sure and try the Gallo Pinto. We also enjoyed our trip up the beach to the resort and appreciated the access to their facilities. The service was exceptional and all employees went out of their way to accomodate our every need. We would like to thank Jairo, who provided us with very good advise and directions concerning road conditions and suggested route planning for a side trip to Mal Pais and for our trip north to Samara at the conclusion of our stay. Also, a special thanks to the Mgr. Emma, whose good humor, wit, and kindness made us feel especially welcome and who would be reson enough, by herself, to warrant a return trip. Having spent time in the hospitality business myself it is not lost on this guest that the attitude of the entire staff begins and ends with the attitide of the boss and Emma's family of employees are a great example of how to make travelers feel at home. Thank you Emma. We look forward to coming back.

Rick Peckham
Athens GA

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Carrboro, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I had only planned on staying here one night, on my way from Manuel Antonio to Monteverde. I chose the hotel because it offered vegan options. I had reserved a four-wheel-drive sport utility vehicle with Europcar through Expedia, but when I arrived in San Jose, Europcar pulled a bait-and-switch and all they had was a beat-up Toyota Corolla with manual everything and no hubcaps. It became clear after a few days with this jalopy that we weren't going to make it up to Monteverde, so I had to cancel (and lost a night's hotel charge), and stay in Montezuma for three nights.

The rooms at El Sano Banano are pretty basic, with saltillo tile floors, colorful bedspreads, and a small television, which we never used. Our room had dormer-style windows, and the double bed was under the slope of the roof and against the wall, so it was a bit claustrophobic. The batteries were falling out of the door of the room safe, so we didn't risk using it. We never got clean towels or fresh sheets, so things got pretty gritty by the last day.

There is no shampoo or drinking cups, let alone in-room coffee, so make sure to bring all the essentials. The shower never really got hot. The WiFi worked very well, though.

The good thing about El Sano Banano is that guests can use the facilities at the much nicer Ylang Ylang resort, which is a 400-meter walk up the beach, so we spent a lot of time there at the pool and restaurant.

Breakfast at El Sano Banano is okay. I had the scrambled tofu one day. It was tasty, but runny. Stick with the fruit. You will get one refill on your coffee and that's it.

There is an evening movie, but they expect you to order food or drink if you want to watch it, even if you are a guest at the hotel.

We only had dinner at El Sano Banano one night, and it was very good. I had veggie fajitas, and they were accompanied by little fried tortilla cups filled with salsa, beans, and guacamole.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I've stayed here in januari 2012 with my parents and my husband. The location is great and so is Montezuma!
We had separate rooms in El sano banano and they were horrible! The beds are hard and there wasn't any space between the bed and the walls. My parents room didn't had a window, just a high placed no-see-tru window. Our room had a 'indoor window', facing the hallway. With all the other guests walking straight by it wasn't an option to keep the window open and not even an option to open the curtains. (really like my privacy!)
After taking a shower it became very musty in the room. It really wasn't very sano (healty)!
I think being in jail feels like this.
The staff however was very friendly and helpfull. The breakfast was great and the pies are to die for!
Luckely it is possible too use the restaurant without sleeping in the hotel. I recommend eating in El Sano Banano but I definitly do not recommend sleeping there!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
uumatter, Owner at El Sano Banano Village Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Regarding your review, Thank you for mentioning that we have a great location in town and may I mention that is a very important detail. Please note that we have a variety of room styles and all of the rooms are AirConditioned and have sealed windows that are specifically made that way to block out the noise. Montezuma is a boisterous town, day and night. Some of the rooms look out toward the street and garden and a few look towards the hallway. You had a hallway room. All of our rooms are safe, secure and clean.

You are the first person to mention that the mattresses are too firm. They happen to be the highest quality semi-orthopedic mattresses available in Costa Rica. I assume you did not ask the front desk for assistance regarding a room change or comforter, which is a normal thing to ask if you find your room not to your liking. I do it occasionally while traveling to other countries, usually with positive results.

Regarding your shower, all you need to do is keep your door shut while showering and like any hotel room in the humid tropics with a tile floor, all will be fine.

I notice that you mention that the "staff however was very friendly and helpful" yet only gave 3 stars for their efforts. Perhaps this is an oversight on your part.

To compare the Room to a Jail is quite harsh in my opinion and also quite surprising. Perhaps, fortunately, you have never seen the inside of a jail.

We are very happy you found the restaurant and food to your liking.

We always strive to do our best and accommodate our guests in any way possible. Thank you for your review.

Patricia Slump
Owner
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

When we first arrived in Montezuma we were staying at a different hotel. When we were walking down the street, however, we saw a sign in front of El Sano Banano advertising a reduced room rate. Upon walking in and checking out the hotel, we were sold.
* The Staff (Martin, et al) were amazing! They went out of their way to make our stay fantastic.
* The cost (June, 2012) was $45 a night for an air conditioned double room, right in the center of town that included an amazing breakfast. The rooms were cleaned every day.
* The breakfast was no ordinary hotel breakfast. We got to choose off of a menu that included the typical Costa Rican breakfast, banana pancakes, french toast, yogurt/fruit/granola, coffee or juice. It was fantastic.
* The restaurant downstairs shows popular movies every night, in English with Spanish subtitles.
* One of the best things about El Sano Banano is the fact that it's linked to the Ylang Ylang resort so you can go over and use their facilities (which you should!).

I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Two of stayed here for three nights, and overall we were happy with our stay. The positives: the location (right in the center of Montezuma); staff is nice; rooms were clean; when booking reservation, staff was very helpful in arranging transportation to and from Montezuma; ability to use facilities at Ylang Ylang. The negatives: although they advertise sound proof rooms, this is not the case; windows cannot be opened in room and A/C in rooms was pretty weak. As far as food goes, we ate breakfast there because it was included in the room rate, but for every other meal we went elsewhere (there is some really great food in Montezuma). Overall, I think we probably would stay here again on a return visit, primarily because the surrounding hotels do not really seem to be that much better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the main street (it allows for some great people watching)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Spent five nights here in April 2012. I suppose for $75 per night for a family of two adults and two kids you shouldn't complain, but I just didn't like this place, I thought the staff were a bit surly and miserable; my father who was travelling with us said the bland breakfasts reminded him of boarding school fare in Ireland in the 1950s - it was a daring guest who asked for a second cup of coffee in the morning. The hotel is in the middle of tiny Montezuma village; the restaurant is good if overpriced. Overall, I think it was Costa Rica, not just the hotel, that was dissapointing: overpriced, a bit mean, offering far less than the brochure suggested, and expecting the foolish tourist to be grateful for mediocre service. The one thing we did like was access to the Ylang Ylang resort pool, which the kids really enjoyed. Do a bit of reseach, there are much better places in Montezuma, even in the $100-$120 range.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I highly recommend this hotel, the staff is excellent and very friendly. Thanks to Emma the manager for seeing to our every need and taking such good care of us. The food was fantastic and fresh. A real bonus was the tropical pool at the Llang Llang resort a lovely ten minute walk up the beach. I look forward to my next visit. Thanks again for a great time. All the best. Alan G. Downie

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to El Sano Banano Village Hotel? Share your experiences!