“♥♥♥ In Love With Romelia ♥♥♥♥” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 18 Activities in Montezuma
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas
Attraction Details
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
“♥♥♥ In Love With Romelia ♥♥♥♥”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I had the opportunity of volunteering at Romelia last turtle season and can't stay away. I got so much experience in measuring and tagging turtles, patrolling the beaches, relocating nests, and releasing hatchlings. It was an amazing experience to connect with nature, be surrounded by birds and monkeys, and learn to live a more simplified life. Working with sea turtle conservation is extremely rewarding and I can't wait to return to my Romelia family in September.

Visited January 2013

Nerja, Andalucia, Spain
“As close to paradise as can be”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

When I first came to Romelia, I had booked only two weeks. At the end I spent six wonderful weeks there and it would have become more, if I had disposed of more time. I loved just everyting about it. Thanks to the wonderful people working in the refuge, it took maybe ten minutes to make me feel at home. The work experience was just what I had been looking for, it was hand-on experience and you really got the feeling that you were doing something good for the environment and the animals. I went there when it was no tutle season but there were so many other great things to do that I did not miss it. I really recommend this place to everyone who is interested in turtles, animals in general and nature. Thank you so much, Romelia! I hope to see you soon!

Visited February 2013
Malmo, Sweden
“An enchanted little corner of the world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This past January I had the fortunate chance to spend two weeks in Romelia.

I left the cold winter in Sweden, crossed the Atlantic and for the first time in my life I went to Central America. It was a trip of many firsts; being on the Pacific, surfing, living in a Refugio, seeing baby turtles, living in a place with no electricity for two weeks... Being such a city girl, like I am, I was longing for this experience and it turned out to be even more fantastic than I could ever imagine.

This place is so beautiful, it is insane. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The accommodation is simple but I had everything I needed. And actually I think it needs to be like that, it's simplicity enhances your interaction with nature. And what a nature! I can write on and on, but it's kind of a thing that you have to be there to see it for yourself. So what are you waiting for... GO GO!

Visited January 2013
Grecia, Costa Rica
“A little slice of heaven!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have been to Romelia twice for the past turtle season. The people there are very special and I felt at home the minute I got there. We were talking and joking non-stop right off the bat. It is so rustic and magical there. It feels like you are staying at the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse. You walk down the path and you are at the beach. You can listen to the waves rock you to sleep at night. The turtles are amazing and you will surely never forget the experience of seeing the mother lay her eggs or of releasing the hatchlings of another mother into the waves! Love it!!

Visited November 2012
Statyon
“It felt like another world...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

In November 2012 I took my 8 year old grandson to the vivero to help with turtles. It is almost indescribable. We knew going in that the housing would be hostel like and the food simple. We knew we would get to work in an amazing place. What I did not know is how much my grandson already was aware of and how completely he would take on his role in turtle conservation. He was brilliant. Sometimes hungry because he was not used to the seasonings used in the food. He survived. He thrived. He learned so very much. For me it was one of the best weeks of my life. The staff was extraordinary and very accommodating to our needs. We had adventures and more. Somehow an evening group crawling like hatchlings into the ocean after Jamie told a story epitomizes the camaraderie and willingness of the people there to have fun as well as work. Imagine: having to sit near the ocean for hours on a nearly deserted beach. Work?

Visited November 2012