“Unpleasant snorkelling experience” 1 of 5 stars

Garden Bay, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Unpleasant snorkelling experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Because my husband was a diving instructor some years ago and wanted to introduce me to snorkelling, we were pleased to learn that Cocozuma offered snorkelling as part of its tours. Our B&B booked a trip for us and we set out for the morning departure. Partway there, we met up with another boat; those of us going to Tortuga had to transfer to that boat by climbing over the rails. Along the way, the boat slowed down and drove around a large rock archway named, appropriately, Rainbow Rock, beautiful in the azure water. (Cocozuma's website mentions stopping at an old shipwreck on the way to the island; that didn't happen. It mentions a chance to swim with dolphins and watch humpback whales; that didn't happen, although we did see some dolphins on the trip back to Montezuma.)

After the boat dropped off lunch supplies on the island, it went out to a covered dock by a large rock and stopped there. The captain handed out masks and fins and told everyone to jump into the ocean. My husband had already explained to me how to make sure my mask was sealed and how to take care not to inhale water when snorkelling; the captain said nothing about this to the people on the boat. As it turned out, the fins were very small and not suitable for swimming against the current around the rock. I'm a strong indoor swimmer, accustomed to doing laps in a pool, but when my mask developed a leak (it hadn't felt right before I jumped into the water) and I tried to swim back to the boat, I'm embarrassed to say I panicked. My husband had to call to get the attention of the one staff member on board, and he quickly swam out with a buoy and helped me back onto the boat. In the meantime, a number of people had gone around to the other side of the rock, out of sight of the boat. Fortunately, everyone came back safely, but it could have ended differently.

In my opinion, people should have been asked at the start if they had experience snorkelling. Then the staff could have taken 15 or 20 minutes in the shallow water of the island, after dropping off the food, to show people the basics and make sure everyone was comfortable with the equipment. Just as important, they should be providing long fins suitable for snorkelling in current, rather than the small ones designed for pool use. I would not recommend this company.

Visited June 2013