“Cheap Prices, Hot Rooms” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Lucy

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Lucy
You added Hotel Lucy to your Saves list
| Cóbano de Puntarenas, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Providence, Rhode Island
“Cheap Prices, Hot Rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

Booked a room with a private bath for the same day, got in with no problems. Unreal location, right on the water. Tough to beat that for prices in the mid $20s. I wasn't expecting the rooms to be plush, because I didn't pay anything for the room. And it wasn't that bad. The room I had was pretty small and really dark, and there was a bath in there as well. The bath is more or less 2 feet from the bed, separated by a small wall that doesn't reach the ceiling. The room had a musty smell, probably because of the bathroom. I imagine that some of the other rooms (without bath) smell better.

Sleeping in the room was REALLY difficult, because it was so hot. My wife and I both agreed that it was the worst sleep of our lives. It was just way too hot. There was a small fan in the corner of the room, but it barely produced any air. I slept with a cold water bottle on my chest, just because I needed my core temperature to come down. I really thought I was burning up from the inside.

But, all-in-all, you can't rank in that poorly because of the price. Although the room was musty, the rest of the property was kept extremely clean. The porch overlooking the ocean was heavenly. On the porch they had plenty of chairs and a hammock. It was very relaxing. You can't swim in front of the hotel, but if you walk out of the hotel and take an immediate right, there is a tiny inlet where you can swim. If you are on the porch at the hotel, it is to the right.

Additionally, the internet cafe on property was nice. That being said, hours of the place changed daily. Overall, I would go back if I were traveling solo...but don't bring your wife or girlfriend there and expect a romantic nighttime experience.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Evansville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

This hostel is actually located on ocean. We stayed in room 19, second floor with windows facing ocean and shared balconey out our front door. The rooms are very basic-bed, fan, dresser. We shared bathrooms with top floor, but I believe there are a few rooms with bath in bedroom. The shower is a pvc pipe that cold water comes out of. :) They have a full kitchen and fridge that allows you to cook anything, and a beautiful patio to eat or relax on. You can wash your clothes in a sink outside and they have clothes lines that are ran across back of hotel. It is maybe a 5 minute walk to town, and you can take the beach the whole way if you like. For 22$ a night you can not possibly ask for anything more. Attached is an internet access for 500 colones per half hour. (1 dollar)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

We booked Lucy in mid-November right before the film festival. The days we were there it was quiet, although it was mid-week. The place started to fill up and get more active as the festival and weekend approached. This is primarily a place for young people (or the young at heart), because you are getting no air con, no hot water, and your room fan might even be substandard (ours was just an ancient floor model.) You might have to put up with little ants (keep food OUT of the room) and a funky ocean/musty smell from the bath if it's in your room. The bath in general might give you the willies if you are used to the sparkling clean and modern American variety. Also, the rooms can be tiny, only enough for a bed and dresser in ours, so don't be a claustrophobe. BUT, if you can get past all that, you will have a great time for very little money in the most fantastic place on the planet. They do change the linens (it was SO hot we just slept on top of the bedcovers) and give you clean towels, daily (1 per person.) No washrags, of course, but that seems standard for these places. Tile floors everywhere, a cat or two and lots of ambiance. And the ocean, pounding relentlessly, all the time...BTW, you can't swim outside the hotel, but a short walk past town takes you to a fine swimming beach.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2009

very clean, cheap, great kitchen and the nicest view.
this hostel is popular with travellers so you wont be short of people to meet.

Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Hope, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at Lucy's for a week in June. It was very peaceful. We had a choice of private bathroom but chose instead a corner room on the first floor as it had a window on each of two walls. The sound of the ocean waves were worth it alone. The hotel is directly on the beach and we were lucky enough to be there for the highest tide in years. The waves came up to the top step of the beach stairs. The rooms and bathrooms were kept spotless and were cleaned daily. We had no problems at all with the kitchen, though it was hard to keep ice frozen in the freezer with many hands opening and closing the refridgerator. We saw no signs of mice or rats anywhere. Howler monkeys awoke us several times in the early am and the many parrots and birds are better than any rooster for waking you in the morning. Lucy was very good to deal with but her afternoon shift guy had no sense of humor. We had intended on only a few days but stayed 8. The area boasts several nature walks and very beautiful beaches. There are a few nightclubs that are popular in town though we did not attend. Restaurants are predictably more expensive than other Costa Rican locations but there were a few affordable meals. We mostly cooked in Lucy's kitchen.
I would suggest taking the bus to nearby Cobano to shop as prices were a lot cheaper. Especially for liquor. We enjoyed everything about Montezuma. BTW we checked out several other Hostals in the area and this was the best bang for the buck. We will return.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Hermosa Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

Do I dare share the secrets? Let me just tell you that this little Hostel is the perfect place for me, now I cant tell you if you will like it. Its not fancy, there are shared bathrooms, cold water and no AC. But this is home for me. It was the best place we stayed in the entire trip and its the place I will definetly return to. It is walking distance to the small town center where you can party all night, yet far enough away not to hear others partying all night. The rooms where super clean and comfortable. And the people where amazing.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

The bedrooms are lovely and clean. The location in great and it is just overlooking the ocean. HOWEVER I was disgusted when I heard that a guy saw 3 rats in the kitchen. The next night I actually saw two of them. I told a guy working there but he just shrugged his shoulders so maybe it is the norm there!

• Liked — views
  • Disliked — rats in the kitchen
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Lucy? Share your experiences!