“Nice view, rooms a bit disappointing, cheap option though” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Lucy

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Lucy
You added Hotel Lucy to your Saves list
| Cóbano de Puntarenas, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Golden, Colorado
“Nice view, rooms a bit disappointing, cheap option though”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

So I stayed here for 2 night back in August 11 so my memory isn't the freshest... A friend and I stayed here in one of the inner rooms on the 1st floor. Very dark and small. We had 2 single beds and a tiny bathroom that was more like a cubicle within the room with the walls not going up all the way upto the ceiling. Can't remember the exact price but somewhere around $30 for the 2 of us which was a cheaper option in Montezuma. This didn't have a hostel feel for it as there wasn't a main meeting room. Yes there was a balcony with a nice view but not very social. If you stay here, I would go for one of the upper rooms. The hotel was a short walk from the main part of montezuma (which isn't much but thats what makes montezuma what it is in my opinion) and is right on the ocean but you can't swim there - too rocky. There is a little beach in town which was decent. There is no surfing here even though I saw a shop or two advertise it, but I think they shuttle you somewhere else.

In my 2 days here I did 2 really fun things. One, we hiked to the local waterfalls which was free and amazing. There are 3 falls and if you hike up the 3rd, you can jump off (about 40 feet of pure exhiliration!) and above it is a lagoon with a rope swing (also fun).

The other thing we did was to rent a quad (lots of places in town with about the same rates, just make sure you check the condition of it pretty good, the one we rented had zero tread left on tires and I didn't notice this till after we signed the paperwork and paid the $, even though we haven't even left yet, he refused to give us our $ back, he was a jerk, we took the quad and it ended up ok but what horrible custormer service, it was at the travel agency place in the corner of town with an internet cafe, across from the main bar, I would avoid this place for sure). We took the quad down the coast south to the wildlife reserve which was fun.

Room Tip: ask for one of the upstairs rooms
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011 via mobile

The beachside location is great, but when the sun sets it's not the waves that'll keep you awake - no, the other guests drinking, singing, and stumbling about on the bezch, or the veranda literally next to your bed will ensure you dont sleep a wink. Unfortunately the staff don't give a crap and at USD 12 a night there are cheaper & better places to stay in town.

• Stayed November 2011
atlanta, ga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

I stayed here, but was disappointed by several things:
1- Rooms have shared baths but only 3 bathrooms, for something like 15 rooms and dormitory, which makes a huge bottleneck in the mornings when people are trying to get going.
2 - Staff is not diligent about keeping bathrooms stocked with toiled paper.
3 - No electric outlets--in my room and in common sitting areas. They have wifi, but how do they expect someone to keep their phone / ipod/ laptop juiced up? The only outlets are in the kitchen, where you have to leave your devices plugged in, either keeping watch or hoping no one would steal it. Bottom line--the owner needs to add some outlets and this place would be OK.

Room Tip: try to get ocean side--motorbikes and other traffic is loud on the road side
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
ny, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011 via mobile

$6 a night. Right on the pacific. Got the referal from a Canadian tourist. He said it was amazing and it was.

Showers are cold and beds were comfortable. I would stay here for a season hands down.

There were people staying for months on end and we had to stay at the hotel across the street la cascada until there was room at lucy. Just about every night it was booked solid.

• Stayed January 2011
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

Hotel Lucy is a great place to stay, especially on a budget. I had an ocean front view and the room was very clean, for $11 a night. The staff cleans the rooms and bathrooms every day. There was a different animal made out of towels on the bed every day. The owner is very nice, laid back. There's a security guard at night so I felt very safe. Great place to meet other travelers and it's a short walk to town on a nice dirt road. Shared kitchen. Only problem no phones to be used by public.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
salt lake city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

Hotel Lucy was full but they offered us a house rental for only $70 a night. This place was beautiful! 3 Bedrooms. Kitchen. 2 Bathrooms with Shower. Outside Living room, upper veranda with ocean view. Wifi and use of a computer. TV (not that we turned it on). Monkeys in the trees 15 feet away.
A 2-3 minute walk to the beach (but very steep).

The ONLY thing this place lacked was A/C.

I highly recommend staying here. We will be back for sure.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

My partner and I have been staying at hotel Lucy for a few days in a double room with shared bathroom ($22 a night). We've loved our stay here. The place is spotless and the girls who run the place are constantly cleaning (despite one of them being heavily pregnant!). Sheets and towels are replaced daily and the kitchen is the best stocked hostel kitchen I've ever seen.
We definately recommend it.

• Stayed February 2011

Been to Hotel Lucy? Share your experiences!