“the best meeting spot in Montezuma and very safe” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Aurora

You added Hotel Aurora to your Saves list
Hotel Aurora
100 metros norte de la Playa Montezuma | 100 meters north from Montezuma Beach, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Deventer, The Netherlands
“the best meeting spot in Montezuma and very safe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have stayed 5 days in Hotel La Aurora. There is free internet and free coffee. Every moning I drunk coffee under the sunshade. The personal are very nice and helpfull. The recepción is day and night open. They have security cámaras. I always feel safe at Hotel La Aurora.
Thanks,
Tom

Room Tip: in the low season the have very cheap rooms downstairs
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed as a solo traveller in February and found it perfect. The location is great, room was clean and tidied daily, staff were amazingly friendly (even willing to try and learn English from me and vice versa) and I'd stay here again for definite! I felt very safe during my stay, there's always someone by the front desk and entrance to greet you. Its a very relaxing place indeed. Thanks to the staff who were fantastic during my stay.

• Stayed February 2013
Buckinghamshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

We found this place whilst wandering around looking for somewhere to stay. It cost $20 for a basic double room which was excellent value considering other hostels with dorms were charging $15 per person. The basic rooms include a mini fridge, fan and ensuite bathroom. Towels are also included.
The location is excellent, very close to the shops and supermarket, beach and not far from the road to the waterfall.
There is a kitchen and lots of communal areas.
Unfortunately the wifi did not work for the four days we were there and there were lots of Mosquitos in our room - if you have a mosquito net I would bring one, although there wasn't really anywhere easily to hang one from in our room. We also found a mouse dropping in our room but we never saw a mouse and there is a cat on site which probably helps to deal with these things!!

• Stayed May 2013
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I'm glad I saw these reviews after we stayed here about being robbed. We actually stayed here AFTER being robbed in Santa Teresa. We booked in for 1 night and ended up staying 2.
The rooms are clean and comfortable and the price was great, especially for what is around town.
It's a nice large hotel/hostel with a good basic kitchen and the reception were always friendly and helpful.
The room was hot, but we opted for one with fan only and no aircon. You can always upgrade if you want air conditioning.
I'd stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is not a safe place to stay. Whilst we were staying here someone broke into our room in the night and stole my bag with wallet, passports, camera etc in it. Although the location is central and probably the price is fine, the experience we had here was not worth it at all.

Probably the worst was the reaction of the staff, particularly the owner, who were not only unresponsive, unhelpful and pretty unsympathetic but also complained I was 'not a nice person' because I asked to be refunded for the nights we had booked ahead but would now no longer be staying!

Having offered to come with us to the police station this offer was withdrawn, with the owner saying she lived hours away, and then turning up half an hour later and sitting on the chairs outside reception! The owner also said there had been similar incidents of robbery but was clearly in no rush to put better locks on the doors or even notices up to warn other travellers to be extra careful.

Do not stay here - the rooms are unsafe and the owner unhospitable

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
TomAurora, Manager at Hotel Aurora, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Hello, my name is Tom. Since the 1 of June 2013 I am been leasing Hotel Aurora. I have read a lot of reviews of course. I am really sorry for what happened in Hotel Aurora in March 26. I can imagine that you feel really bad and in the reaction of the employees of Hotel Aurora. I have asked, ´how did all this happen´. First, the security guard didn´t take his job serious. He didn´t saw the thieves. The next morning there was no employee present who want to take the responsibility. In this terrible situation the manager have to report the crime. The police can make an investigation and make a declaration for the insurance company.
These proceedings didn´t happened. I can´t change what has happened. Although I wasn´t the manager yet, I take the complaints serious, because I don´t want that this happen again. I have taken actions to prevent this happen again. First, the security guard doesn´t work anymore in this hotel and second we have security cameras, so we can see what happens day and night. My new staff takes safety very seriously. We have security 24 hours and with the cameras I can guarantee you that Hotel Aurora is a very safe place.
Thanks for reading my response.
Tom
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Come here. After the second night we went out to dinner and made the mistake of leaving some of our valuables in the room. In 2.5 hours everything was gone. Even though the locks on the doors are complete garbage (the kind that will pop open if a credit card is jammed into them), we thought we could leave some stuff there for a couple of hours since there seems to be security at the front desk 24/7. We paid quite a bit for that mistake.

Staff or a crooked tenant, either way we got effed. The hotel was really not helpful with it, they just seemed worried about covering their own behinds. We weren't even given bus or cab fare to go to the crime office in Cobano to get a report for an insurance claim. We asked to put our passports in their safe, but the staff did not have access to it. Seems that the owner, who we learned comes in only once a week to pick up the cash, didn't even trust them.

Other than that, it was a pretty nice place with good value.

Room Tip: If I were to return I would stay in Cabuya, which is down the road a bit from Montezuma.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed three nights at La Aurora and really enjoyed it. The staff is friendly, the rooms are nice and clean. The location is really good, close to everything. I would definitely go back (just too bad the wifi would not work in the rooms).

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Hotel Aurora? Share your experiences!