“Great location in Montezuma” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hotel Aurora to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Hotel Aurora
100 metros norte de la Playa Montezuma | 100 meters north from Montezuma Beach, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Sydney, Australia
“Great location in Montezuma”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I'm glad I saw these reviews after we stayed here about being robbed. We actually stayed here AFTER being robbed in Santa Teresa. We booked in for 1 night and ended up staying 2.
The rooms are clean and comfortable and the price was great, especially for what is around town.
It's a nice large hotel/hostel with a good basic kitchen and the reception were always friendly and helpful.
The room was hot, but we opted for one with fan only and no aircon. You can always upgrade if you want air conditioning.
I'd stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is not a safe place to stay. Whilst we were staying here someone broke into our room in the night and stole my bag with wallet, passports, camera etc in it. Although the location is central and probably the price is fine, the experience we had here was not worth it at all.

Probably the worst was the reaction of the staff, particularly the owner, who were not only unresponsive, unhelpful and pretty unsympathetic but also complained I was 'not a nice person' because I asked to be refunded for the nights we had booked ahead but would now no longer be staying!

Having offered to come with us to the police station this offer was withdrawn, with the owner saying she lived hours away, and then turning up half an hour later and sitting on the chairs outside reception! The owner also said there had been similar incidents of robbery but was clearly in no rush to put better locks on the doors or even notices up to warn other travellers to be extra careful.

Do not stay here - the rooms are unsafe and the owner unhospitable

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
TomAurora, Manager at Hotel Aurora, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Hello, my name is Tom. Since the 1 of June 2013 I am been leasing Hotel Aurora. I have read a lot of reviews of course. I am really sorry for what happened in Hotel Aurora in March 26. I can imagine that you feel really bad and in the reaction of the employees of Hotel Aurora. I have asked, ´how did all this happen´. First, the security guard didn´t take his job serious. He didn´t saw the thieves. The next morning there was no employee present who want to take the responsibility. In this terrible situation the manager have to report the crime. The police can make an investigation and make a declaration for the insurance company.
These proceedings didn´t happened. I can´t change what has happened. Although I wasn´t the manager yet, I take the complaints serious, because I don´t want that this happen again. I have taken actions to prevent this happen again. First, the security guard doesn´t work anymore in this hotel and second we have security cameras, so we can see what happens day and night. My new staff takes safety very seriously. We have security 24 hours and with the cameras I can guarantee you that Hotel Aurora is a very safe place.
Thanks for reading my response.
Tom
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Come here. After the second night we went out to dinner and made the mistake of leaving some of our valuables in the room. In 2.5 hours everything was gone. Even though the locks on the doors are complete garbage (the kind that will pop open if a credit card is jammed into them), we thought we could leave some stuff there for a couple of hours since there seems to be security at the front desk 24/7. We paid quite a bit for that mistake.

Staff or a crooked tenant, either way we got effed. The hotel was really not helpful with it, they just seemed worried about covering their own behinds. We weren't even given bus or cab fare to go to the crime office in Cobano to get a report for an insurance claim. We asked to put our passports in their safe, but the staff did not have access to it. Seems that the owner, who we learned comes in only once a week to pick up the cash, didn't even trust them.

Other than that, it was a pretty nice place with good value.

Room Tip: If I were to return I would stay in Cabuya, which is down the road a bit from Montezuma.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed three nights at La Aurora and really enjoyed it. The staff is friendly, the rooms are nice and clean. The location is really good, close to everything. I would definitely go back (just too bad the wifi would not work in the rooms).

• Stayed January 2013
Petaluma, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

It is a basic hotel. Rooms have bathrooms and a small fridge inside. There is a communal kitchen. It is a block or two from the beach, but between the street that comes into town and the park (which is great if you have kids, since the communal area looks out over the playground) so it isn't loud at night due to the bars. Though if you sleep on the road side of the hotel you will have a lot of street noise due to big trucks and buses coming up and down the hill. The hotel offers a cheaper rate for the "loud side" of the hotel. Rooms run from $25 for a single on the loud side, up to $50 for a bigger nicer room. We got a quiet room for two for $35 on the first floor right by the kitchen and overlooking the park. There were tables and chairs outside my room to sit and eat. You can also pay an extra $5 for a room with air conditioning. I really think the location was perfect for families, since it was quiet but central. We were able to meet other traveling and local kids in the park. The staff was friendly, I always left my keys with them when I went out to the beach. I would stay here again. I only wish they had basics like oil and salt in the communal kitchen.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Innsbruck, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Regarding lonely planet Lodging in montezuma is Bad value. However la Aurora is pretty Good value. Take a room on The First floor. Nice wooden Panels and spacious. The ones on The ground floor are small and not so comfortable.

• Stayed November 2012
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed at Hotel "La Aurora" 4 nights and really enjoyed it. It's a friendly, clean place with nice communal areas and lots of wood inside the rooms. Alls rooms are different in size and facilities, so you really can choose the one, that fits best for your needs. But I would definitely recommend getting a room upstaires - they are much airier and get more light. They are a bit more expensive, but it`s worth it. We had a double room on the first floor, that was spacious and comfortable. The bathroom was very clean, although could have been a bit bigger. The hotel is in the center of Montezuma, so you are close to everything (beaches, supermarkets, restaurants). The communal kitchen is not the biggest, but sufficient for making breakfast. We would stay there again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Aurora? Share your experiences!