“Noisy and uncomfortable room” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel El Jardin
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Montezuma Beach, Montezuma 6000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Tampa, Florida
“Noisy and uncomfortable room”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

My guide book recommended this hotel so we stayed here for two nights. We picked this hotel because it said it had a jacuzzi. Well, it does but they never turn on the heat so its freezing cold right now.

I give this two stars only because of the location and view from our balcony. Otherwise, the beds were horribly uncomfortable. The AC was not adjustable. It was either freezing cold at full blast or you had to turn it off. there were no screens on the windows so we didn't want to sleep with the windows open.

When we arrived, the bathroom was dirty and had the previous guest's trash. The shower is one temperature only and never became hot. It was lukewarm at best.

The worst part was there was some kind of animal (an iguana) that run up and down our tin roof all night long both nights. We never got any sleep.

I would recommend staying at the Sano Banano which doesn't have the view but the rooms looked more comfortable.

The staff never asked how our room was.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Jardin_Montezuma1, Manager at Hotel El Jardin, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
We take note when a customer arrives at the reception and tell us their discomfort and we work to make them feel really comfortable.
The room has air conditioning so the windows are closed and the air is remote control to regulate temperature.
We very much regret that problem with the animal that makes us is almost impossible to stop all the animals in this place that is pure mountain, but we repair the problem.
All staff of the Hotel El Jardin are the order of customers, thank you very much for your comments and we'll do all the improvements in this rooms so they are as some of the best rooms in Montezuma.

Esteban Canizales R.
Manager Hotel El Jardin
Montezuma,Costa Rica

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Brampton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

When we arrived they made a mistake and tried to charge us for 8 people when I got on the phone to mastercard to cancel any transactions with this hotel they dropped it. The rooms were dirty, and had cockroaches. It was very loud all night long and early in the morning. The only good thing was the air conditioning. The pool was ok. The service sucked! for almost 100 a night was so not worth it, there are nicer places to stay way cheaper and nicer just outside of town. The town was expensive and they rip all tourists off there.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Jardin_Montezuma1, Manager at Hotel El Jardin, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
We regret very much that you tell us that we tried to charge for 8 people, when was the customer who sent us a reservation with your personal data and requesting space for 8 people and yet to come we will cancel the reservation for 8 and we accept the new reservation only 2 people no extra charge.
Work more carefully cleaning the rooms and the spraying of cockroaches, here to be pure mountain there are many insects, but we will work on houses and rooms always have good quality,
Thank you very much for your comment.

Esteban Canizales Rojas
Manager Hotel El Jardin
Montezuma,Costa Rica
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

I stayed here with my boyfriend, we hadn't booked anything and thought we'd pick a place when we arrived in town. Lonely Planet recommended it so we tried it first (checked out a few others later that day but decided it was definitely the pick). We ended up staying 5 nights. The cabins on the upper areas (about US$60/night) were great especially with the higher views. All rooms were very basic but had the essentials. The cabins near the road and the pool were apparently much noisier and looked more basic ($US50/night).

The pool was fantastic! The beaches aren't great to swim in so the pool was ideal and has a spa in the top section (doesn't heat up though). The location was perfect (close to everything while still being just about far enough away - but we were also in a cabin which was the furthest from reception and the road). It's a tiny town so you're not really that far from the noise at all but Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights get very noisy and sleeping is pretty difficult.

The family cabin looked amazing and we really wished we could have stayed there but it was already booked. The manager was a bit abrupt the first day or two (he seemed pretty busy) but don't be put off, after that he was friendly and more than helpful.

Recommend the cabins with hammocks and up the hill. The only other place we would stay was out of town a bit, alot more expensive and inconvenient if you want to walk into town, El Jardin was good value and location.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

My boyfriend and I planned to stay one night in Montezuma, as we planned a week long trip, staying mostly on the Pacific beach side for 3 nights, then staying in Montezuma for a quick night before heading up to Monteverde. We basically booked a night in this hotel just to get a good night sleep to start the drive early the next morning and to be closer to the car ferry. Sleeping did not happen.

The first thing we noticed was the smell from the bathroom. It smelt like sewage the whole time. Also, my boyfriend got an electric shock while in the shower from an electric water heating unit attached to the shower head. Don't touch that thing.

Then the noise from above our heads began. Little claws scratching and running all night long. Our neighbor next door thought it could be bats- I found out it was not while, in my bed trying to sleep I felt a small mammal crawl up my leg. I freaked out and went to get the night security guard, the only hotel representative around. He didn't speak and english, but came to the room with a flashlight. He heard the rats in the ceiling and smelt the sewage stench wafting from under the bathroom door and basically shrugged it off and explained that there weren't any other rooms available.

I went to sleep on the hammock on the porch, wrapping my body in a sheet to protect myself from mosquitoes, but the found me anyway and I had bites all up the back of my legs. Also, the main bar in town, Chico's, blasts it's music until 2AM. Like I said, I didn't get much sleep.

The next morning I told the man who checked us in about our experience. Unfortunately I paid for the room when we checked in. He refused to give us any money back. He didn't believe us about the rats. The night guard clearly did not communicate with him or document our complaint from the night before. He kept saying it was a new building and that it was impossible for there to be rats. Well, they found you!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Newport, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

We really liked this place, and for the price it was incrediably awesome, however 3 of us did stay in one of the cabinas. I got a quick look at some of the standard rooms, that looked, well, pretty standard. Our place was a large house, absolutely beautiful, with sleeping for 5 or 6, big kitchen, stone bathroom, beautiful patio. It overlooked the main drag in Montezuma. We were there in the off season, but we only paid $90.00 for the 3 of us, and that includes coffee and tea service. We planned to just stay 1 night, but loved it so much we stayed 2. We had visiting monkeys, racoons, birds and Iguana's. Highly recommended!

Berkeley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

My husband and I rented one of the houses at El Jardin in November. We were looking for a place for a month and were able to work out a good price for this house. It was large and spacious, with an equipped kitchen and hot water. Although it was much nicer than many of the cabinas for rent in Costa Rica, it was definitely not bug-free. The walls are constructed of wood slats with spaces in between them, so we were essentially outside (a privacy factor as well). After a few nights we realized that all sorts of little bugs (yes, they bite) were also living with us. Mosquito nets were provided but these bugs are smaller than the netting.

The hotel is clean and friendly overall. The cleaning and maintenance staff did their jobs well and were always helpful. The grounds are clean and nicely landscaped. The hotel is right at the end of the "strip" in Montezuma, so noise at night is a factor if you are looking for a quiet, restful night. Instead, you will hear bass and partying. But if you want to party, you'll be steps away from the scene. It is also up a steep hill, so no good if you've got bad knees. They do have WIFI, but you can only access it at the pool. Not so good -- bugs, rain, uncomfortable lounge chairs all make it pretty hard to use your computer, and we ended up paying to use it indoors at a nearby hotel in town where we could sit at an actual table.

My main contention with this hotel (and the reason I am writing this review) is the way that they handled my departure. We paid up front in cash for an entire month, but due to a family emergency, had to return to the States after 10 days. I wanted to work out something reasonable with the hotel to refund a portion of our money, since they would be able to rent the cabina for 20 days more since we were leaving early. The high season was approaching, so I am sure that finding people to rent it would not be hard. Though polite, the staff was unsympathetic, and gave me the traditional story of "there's nothing I can do, we've lost reservations because you rented it, we'll lose money, etc." I offered to pay the nightly rate for the nights I had stayed, and immediately the nightly rate went up. Even then, they wouldn't agree to refund any money. I wasn't surprised -- this is Latin America after all, do you really expect to get a refund on anything if you pay cash up front? But I was disappointed, as the staff had been helpful up to that point. I persisted and asked to speak directly to the manager so we could work out something fair. In the end, I was never able to speak to him, but he agreed to refund a portion of what we had paid. Nightly, we ended up paying $100 per night, much more than the nightly price we'd originally been quoted.

You can look at that transaction from a few different perspectives -- from the management's, I agreed to a month and then changed my mind, why should they do anything? But from my perspective as a guest, the way they handled my departure ruined my stay. I was trying to work out something fair and felt that the management was just being greedy.

So, the hotel is nice enough, if you're looking for something mid-range close to town. But for the $100 per night that I paid, I could have gotten a lot more in the same town.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

Had an AMAZING time in Montezuma staying at El Jardin. The grounds and rooms were beautiful! The staff was incredible (Esteban was WONDERFUL!!!).
The price was outrageous for the value, view of the ocean, right in the center of the "downtown" area hotspots.

Definitely recommend to ANYONE staying in Montezuma, this is the best place around!

Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel El Jardin? Share your experiences!