“Good Place to Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 19 hotels in Montezuma
Denver
“Good Place to Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

El Jardin is a good place to stay if you want a decent place that is centrally located in Montezuma and that is not too expensive. El Jardin is literally at the end of the main street of town so you get some of the noise from town at night, but it never bothered us. The rooms are very simple...we had a double bed and a twin bed in our room, a little refrigerator and a bathroom. The bathroom could use a little work but we were not expecting anything great so it got the job done; we had warm water, which was nice. We also had a little air conditioning unit, which is great because it is so ridiculously hot there! The best part was our porch...some comfortable chairs and a hammock made it a good place to relax and drink beers at the end of the day. El Jardin had a pool and a hot tub...keep this in mind when you book because some of the rooms open up to the pool. We were on the second floor of one of the buildings (that overlooked the pool) so we had a view of Montezuma and a little more privacy than those right in front of the pool. As mentioned earlier, El Jardin is close to the main street in town so you are close to the beach, restaurants, etc. Overall, we were happy...we were looking for something clean with warm water but did not want to spend a lot...El Jardin worked for us!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

176 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

My friend and I stayed at El Jardin and found it to be a great experience. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were clean. Before leaving for Costa Rica, I had emailed back and forth with the hotel and they were very helpful and prompt in their response in helping us get to Montezuma.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

I was in Montezuma for a few days and everyplace with a private bathroom was booked except El Jardin. It cost $95 and when I asked them why it was so expensive they told me it was because it was high season...but this is not the first time I've been here during high season and the most for a single room with A/C and a private bathroom had been $30. This is a 3rd word country and anywhere else in Costa Rica, $95 can get you a 4-5 star hotel room for the night!

The room was average at best, and that's with Costa Rican standards. There were a few cockroaches, no hot water, and very dim light. For $95 a night, that's just ridiculous. The next night I went to Hotel Montezuma and got the same deal (single bed, a/c, refrigerator, hot water, private bathroom, AND a kitchen) for $35.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Jardin_Montezuma, Fron Desk at Hotel El Jardin, responded to this review, April 2, 2009
In Response to your "Way overpriced. I would not recommend friends to stay there" review

Dear visitors, certainly the price was $95 but We feel you are getting excellent value for your money, since the rate its based for double occupancy and this includes 16.23% hotel tax AC, 24 hour security, swimming pool, jacuzzi free internet access and complementary coffee cookies and fruits during the mourning and the location, that personally I think its located in one of the best spots in Montezuma with the opportunity to see wild life and being close to any place here in town.
Regarding the issue that you experience with the cockroaches, no hot water, and very dim light nothing was reported to our front desk but I am pretty sure that if we have known about this issue, we would have done something to make your stay more comfortable, We would have found a solution for any of these issues.

Edgar Salas
Front Desk
vancouver, bc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2009

I stayed in their biggest cabin, or shall I say, house, at the very top of their property. There's nothing more mind blowing than waking up to howler monkeys, white faced monkeys and coatis right in your back yard every morning. This is definately one of the nicer places to stay in Montezuma. Being used to backpacking and staying in hostels, this place was real treat. It dosent have the amenities of home, ie. blowdryers, coffee makers, tv, hot water, etc, but your in central america, its sopposed to be an adventure, if you dont like it, stick to resorts in Hawaii! Montezuma is a party town, and the night activities start up about 8pm until the wee hours of the morning. If you want a quiet, romantic relaxing beach holiday, dont go to Montezuma, as I said, its for partiers.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

First of all, there aren't any bad locations in Montezuma - the entire town is set on two tiny streets both 2 minutes from long white sand beaches. The most memorable part of this hotel was the wildlife. We were there literally 30 seconds when 4 howler monkeys started bouncing through trees. We were in Costa Rica for 5 days and saw almost all of our memorable wild-life from the grounds of the hotel. At night, if you turned the AC and fan off, you can hear a lot of very interesting jungle noises.

El Jardin sealed the deal for me with their online service before I ever showed up. I sent reservation requests to 3 hotels - El Jardin responded within the day. One took three days and I'm still waiting on the 3rd. They send me their rates, a reservation contract and a list of tours and events that they could set up for me. They set up transport before I ever got there. Made getting to and from 'Zuma easy.

Staff is eclectic - like the population of the city. Ticos & Ticas seem to be outnumbered by ex-pats. Laid back atmosphere and lots of sun. Considering the town, the rooms at El Jardin were clean and comfortable.

*Note: Montezuma has no banks or ATMs and few places accept cards. Cash up BEFORE you come.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

When we arrived at El Jardin we were pleasantly suprised ny the pretty grounds and inviting pool. For the price, the pool area is very nice. We then went to our room which was by the pool in the back corner in a nice location. The room had two double beds and a twin. The room was okay. It wasn't overly comfortable, but the most annoying thing was the awful smell of the toilet and the ant problem. All in all we would have been happy with our stay if it wasn't for the guy at the front desk. We decided that we wanted to check out Manuel Antonio before we went home. I asked the front desk if we could check out two days earlier than our 6 day stay. He said YES, WITHOUT charge. When I returned home however, my credit card was charged for one of the days. When I called to discuss t with him, he denied having approved it. He was lying. I think he just didn't want to get in trouble for approving it. He wouldn't remove the charge and neither would my credit card company. It really was not fair.

Be weary of this establishment.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2009

El Jardin has beautiful grounds & a lovely pool area. Right at the crossroads of Montezuma, it's an easy walk to everything; however, it is right next to the road & very noisy. Just one block from Chico's Bar, the music starts at about 9 p.m., then the bongo drums start up & go on until the wee hours of the morning. The rooms are sparse (no hair dryer, few hangers, 1 bedside table, no inside door lock) but clean. Morning coffee is available at the front desk when it opens at apx. 7:30 a.m. Bring your own mug from your room. No services are available. No TV, radio, or phone in the rooms. No parking. You need to find your own street parking.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise, lack of parking
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel El Jardin? Share your experiences!