“Excellent hotel and the best staff!” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel El Jardin
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Montezuma Beach, Montezuma 6000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Paris, France
“Excellent hotel and the best staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We lucked out when we chose this hotel. The location is perfect (at the top of the town and a short walk to the beach) and the ambience is wonderful (well positioned and charming pool). The best part, to be sure, was the excellent staff. While we were at the hotel, I suffered sever kidney stones. To our dismay, there was not a local doctor but with the help of Stephanie, we were able to arrange for emergency medical assistance in the next town. She was indispensible for getting us the in-term help I needed and assisted us with all of the communication in Spanish. It is rare to find such excellent customer service and we wanted to publicly acknowledge the true "flower" of the Hotel Le Jardin.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a week during our vacation to Montezuma. We rented one of the houses that the hotel has which have a lot more space than the regular hotel rooms. While the hotel rooms have A/C the house did not. For most people you don't really need it though. The house was a bit hot during the afternoons but during those times we were either hanging out on the beach, the pool or taking a nap on our covered patio that overlooked the ocean. The house has everything you need, stove, coffee maker, utensils, and the loft area where our bedroom was looked out onto the ocean.

In terms of location the hotel is a 5 minute walk to the beach and sits on a small hill overlooking the town. It was nice to be able to walk to the market, restaurants, and shops whenever we needed something but at night the noise from the bars and clubs was annoying. It wasn't overwhelming to the point where we couldn't sleep, but the hotel is right on the main drag so it was an issue at times. The only other issue we had with this place was the bugs. The house is made of wood and very open so mosquitoes and other bugs can get in. This is only an issue at night so be sure to use the provided mosquito netting when you sleep otherwise you will get covered in bug bites.

All in all we had a great stay there. A lot of the other places in town are a bit dumpish looking so this is definitely one of the best places to stay if you are going to Montezuma. I would also recommend Ylang ylang. We didnt stay there but we had dinner there and it was very nice. Its about a 15-20 min walk from town on the beach so its not as noisy but I could see walking to and from town getting a little old if you had to do it a lot.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

We had a great time at this hotel; the two pools and the jacuzzi were great after a long day under the sun. We had a room with a street view so it was a bit noisy, but the room was clean and big enough for two. Nice!

• Stayed December 2012
Rijeka, Croatia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

The hotel has the best location, you can't go wrong with it. Nice terrace and beautiful garedn with nice swimming pool. The rooms are very basic but you'll have everything you need. Just enjoy...............................

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Don't normally write reviews but thought I would make an exception so here goes..

Can't fault the hotel too much. Nice pool and decent location . Rooms were full of bugs though so spent first 10 with my a firm book in hand and went to town on those bad boys. The walls in the room including ceiling were wafer thin so could hear every footstep and groan which wasn't ideal.

My main gripe about the hotel was the unfriendly reception/manager. Despite agreeing a fee for the room the woman twice said a higher price when it came to pay which I found very rude. Another thing, when I asked for an extra towel (they are only changed every couple of days) she blankly refused. I then said we had no hot water for 2 days despite paying for hot water at which point she gave me an extra towel.

In summary it was ok but I wouldn't stay there again. Stay at coba bana and use ylang ylang facilities

• Stayed November 2012
Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

my girlfriend and I spent a week there last week of oct and had the place to ourselves most of the week as it was the low season.We loved it,great location with beautiful grounds and swimming pool with waterfall.Each room has a hammock and covered balcony to keep you dry when it rains.We saw monkeys and iguanas cruising through the property.We will definetly be back for another visit in the near future.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Over my many visits to this wonderful place, I have become dear friends with Antonio the owner of El Tajalin. He is a very proud owner of his business and his staff is very helpful to make your stay safe and comfortable. I have sent many friends to his hotel, El Tajalin. One friend could not stay there but needed to see a dentist. Antonio went out of his way to take care of my friend because this is the type of person he is. Another time, my travel buddy lost our car keys. Antonio arranged for another key to be flown out to us via the airport at Tambor.

El Tajalin is close enough to walk to the beach and restaurants but far enough away for peaceful evenings. The rooms are modest, very clean and very secure with an in-room safe, air conditioning and refrigerator. There is a common area upstairs with satellite television and sofa's. Someone is on staff 24 hours a day. If you want to enjoy ocean fishing, snorkel trips, zip line canopy tours, horseback trips or ATV rentals, all you have to do is speak with Antonio and he will arrange it for you. If the hotel is booked, Antonio will help you find another place if possible. Last January on our scheduled departure day, Antonio was away in San Jose. He heard that there was a possible ferry workers strike. He called to let everyone know and make sure we could plan ahead. (By the way, we made it because they cancelled the strike.)

I feel like I am home here. Antonio and his staff speak fluent English and Italian. If you are an 'All-Inclusive, 5-star American resort traveller, El Tajalin may not be your place. I want to feel like I am away from Seattle when I leave. If you want a feel the tropical paradise and not over pay, if you want to extend your vacation at a very yankee-friendly hotel and if you want a trustworthy host that will go the extra mile to make sure you enjoy your trip, El Tajalin is the best value you will find in Montezuma. This is a small, intimate, charming place. Its owner makes it all possible.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel El Jardin? Share your experiences!