“Great location, clean rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel El Jardin
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Montezuma Beach, Montezuma 6000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Denver, CO
“Great location, clean rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We didn't have reservations since it's the low season, so we were able to look at the rooms before we booked. This is a great location, right at the top of the town. The rooms are clean, air conditioned, have a mini-fridge. There is a pool, which was nice to jump into after walking around. All the porches have hammocks and lounge chairs. There is no restaurant/bar attached, but you can take your cup to the office in the morning and they have coffee for you. I give this hotel a 4 out of 5, not because of anything negative, just because it's not fancy. I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Great Neck, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We arrived in Montezuma having no hotel reservations as it was a last minute decision to go there for 2 nights. The receptionist was very nice and gave me money back when I paid in cash for the room. The hotel location was good, right at the end of town, next to the beach. No views but everything just steps away. We had an air conditioned room for 4 people with 2 doubles and a single bed right in front of the pool. The room was kind of dreary and dark, even with the curtains pulled back. They did place towels in a swan shape on our beds though! The bathrooms were kind of old and did not feel so clean. I actually showered outside by the pool, brought my shampoo and soap, kept my bathing suit on. It just felt cleaner than the shower in the room, although my family used the bathroom shower. The pool was really nice , but very warm water when we really wanted to cool off because it was SO HOT. We had hammocks and lounge chairs right outside the room which was right in front of the pool so it felt like we had our own pool. Although other guests did use the pool, it was still pretty quiet. I sent my laundry out, it came back the next day, alittle stiff becuase it was dried in the sun but none the less I was happy to have some clean clothes. The wifi was kind of spotty and mostly we had to connect to the hotel across the street. Overall , it was a good location and cheap but if you plan on staying and hanging out in the hotel you may want to try a different place. El jardin is good to get out early, take a quick swim late afternoon and then go out for the evening. Montezuma is a great place to vist!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is located at the top
Of the main drag! It's walking distance to everything. It has no beach access. The hotel is ok for the location your in. The beds are not comfortable but for a 2 night stay i brushed it off! The price is the main reason I stayed here for 60 dollars a night it was the cheapest and best location. I walked into all the other hotels in the area and for the price and location and being tired I chose this one. The rooms front patio did have a slight view of the ocean hamik and 2 chairs. Room also had a mini fridge came handy. If your looking for luxury this is not the place but if your looking to crash for a night or 2 this is it!

Also if your in this area of costa rica, montezuma than you must drive to cabuya ! It's 8 KM from
Montezuma and is an island That you can only walk to during low tide! Make sure you get a tide chart and go there its amazing adventure! Safe travels !!!

• Stayed May 2012
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We arrived at the hotel at 1:55pm, and there was a sign saying the reception desk would re-open at 2pm. We sat on the steps and waited, but nobody arrived to open it until past 2:30pm. I went with 3 other friends, and we stayed in cabin 17 at the top of the steps. The layout is lovely, and view is great, but the windows and doors didn't seal, and had no screens. There was no a/c, so we had to keep windows open. Everything was dirty, including the kitchenette, and even the keys were very sticky with a substance we couldn't wash off. There were insects crawling over every surface of the place. We had a couple of large cockroaches, and found bird poop in our bed (the woman at the reception desk didn't seem at all surprised when we told her, and said she would send someone with new sheets). There was a nice terrace with chairs and a hammock, but the hammock was so saggy in the middle that as soon as we got in it we were sitting on the ground (and we're not large people). However, the pool was very nice, and we could watch the monkeys in the trees right beside us. We did hear from other guests that the smaller rooms at the hotel had window screens and air conditioning, but if you go for the cabin, expect to feel kind of like you're camping, albeit in a great location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dominical, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

El Jardin is centrally located with nice pool and grounds. There were four of us in one of the cabinas at the top of the property. Great view of the town and ocean from the second floor window. The room was clean, had no a/c but fans were provided (we had to return to the office for a fan for the upstairs bedroom, but they brought it right away). It had a small kitchenette which was great. All windows were open air so bugs could be an issue, as it was for a few in our party, but personally I didn't have any problems. The shower had very low water pressure if that's an issue. I believe it gravity fed so top units have less pressure. The pool had an outdoor shower you could use. The pool was great, but could have been improved with cushions for the wood lounge chairs. It had two levels with a waterfall coming off the top level. This was a shallow pool with a jacuzzi attached. Lower pool was deep with the waterfall coming down. For the price it was a great choice! You can walk everywhere from this hotel. Montezuma is such a cool little beach town with an awesome vibe. I'll be back and bring my husband and kids next time. ( on a bad note I left my cell phone behind in the room and called the next morning, as anticipated they advised they didn't have it - not surprised but disappointed. I always hope for people to do the right thing.).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

This was our 'splurge' stay on a budget backpacking trip through the southern Nicoya. The location was fantastic, the grounds are gorgeous and we were comfortable in our room. I loved waking up and spending the morning in the hammock on the deck. The pool was a great place to relax, especially after hiking the waterfalls. I would love to visit El Jardin again. Only downside was lack of breakfast or kitchen space.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
santa rosa,ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

El Jardin is centrally located and offers clean, smallish rooms which are fairly well-appointed w/ attractive wood panelling,A/C and nice sitting areas and hammocks outside each room. The pool is pretty nice and the grounds are well maintained. There is coffee at the reception desk each morning.
The lighting is not very good in the rooms tho I found the mattresses to be adequate. Nothing special but adequate. hence my review title "sufficient" for $60 a night.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel El Jardin? Share your experiences!