“Good option for price - great location” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel El Jardin
Montezuma Beach, Montezuma 6000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #12 of 19 hotels in Montezuma
Dominical, Costa Rica
“Good option for price - great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

El Jardin is centrally located with nice pool and grounds. There were four of us in one of the cabinas at the top of the property. Great view of the town and ocean from the second floor window. The room was clean, had no a/c but fans were provided (we had to return to the office for a fan for the upstairs bedroom, but they brought it right away). It had a small kitchenette which was great. All windows were open air so bugs could be an issue, as it was for a few in our party, but personally I didn't have any problems. The shower had very low water pressure if that's an issue. I believe it gravity fed so top units have less pressure. The pool had an outdoor shower you could use. The pool was great, but could have been improved with cushions for the wood lounge chairs. It had two levels with a waterfall coming off the top level. This was a shallow pool with a jacuzzi attached. Lower pool was deep with the waterfall coming down. For the price it was a great choice! You can walk everywhere from this hotel. Montezuma is such a cool little beach town with an awesome vibe. I'll be back and bring my husband and kids next time. ( on a bad note I left my cell phone behind in the room and called the next morning, as anticipated they advised they didn't have it - not surprised but disappointed. I always hope for people to do the right thing.).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

176 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

This was our 'splurge' stay on a budget backpacking trip through the southern Nicoya. The location was fantastic, the grounds are gorgeous and we were comfortable in our room. I loved waking up and spending the morning in the hammock on the deck. The pool was a great place to relax, especially after hiking the waterfalls. I would love to visit El Jardin again. Only downside was lack of breakfast or kitchen space.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
santa rosa,ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

El Jardin is centrally located and offers clean, smallish rooms which are fairly well-appointed w/ attractive wood panelling,A/C and nice sitting areas and hammocks outside each room. The pool is pretty nice and the grounds are well maintained. There is coffee at the reception desk each morning.
The lighting is not very good in the rooms tho I found the mattresses to be adequate. Nothing special but adequate. hence my review title "sufficient" for $60 a night.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

We stayed here a few years ago and loved it.. Our Costa Rica adventure started in Playa Hermosa for our friend's wedding. Then we drove (not as bad as people say) 4 or 5 hours up the coast and across the ferry to Montezuma. Some of the most beautiful countryside I have ever seen.
Checking in at El Jardin was nice and easy. We were after hours and just called the manager on his house phone and he came down and checked us in to the first room we stayed in.. not the best. The view was great, right in front of the awesome pool but it was dark and small and the bathroom was very cramped and dark..I was alright with it being that we didnt plan on being in the room much. But my wife was feeling a little cramped so we asked what other options we had for rooms. Without any problems we were granted the BIG house.. AWESOME...it is a little bit of a hike up the steps to the house but well worth it. Feels like your in a tree house, literally at canopy level and amazing view of the small town and bay.
After a one day trip around the small town and meeting just about everyone we had our little set up complete.. bought mosquito smokers and candles, fresh fruit and rum.. felt just like home. I even got my beautiful wife to take a shower outside in the semi private shower attached to a tree just a few steps from the front door.

Pros: location, price, view, YOU'RE IN COSTA RICA, pura vida attitude of everyone we met
Cons: little hard to cool off at night, long hike everytime you leave (little dangerous in the rain and after a few beers)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Bristol, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

The place was pretty average. Sevice was very good. Our first room the AC was busted, they moved us to another room right away. We were in a room right in front of the pool which is gorgeous and well maintained and, includes a whirlpool.

We were stupid tourists, got tipsy and forgot our shoes on top of our car. From the two minute walk form the car to our room and back to our car again and they were gone. Needless to say don't leave anything laying around or oyur car unlocked. Live and learn.

The locals are friendly and love to party. This relaxed artsy town is one worth visiting but crazy expensive in high season, because we went in low season we were able to haggle a bit on the price of the room. Overall a nice place but still a bit pricy for the experience. Also be ready for the howler monkey wake up call, 5am.

Room Tip: Ask to see several rooms before you book and haggle this place will come down on their prices in low...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Co
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

I stayed here on night in February after taking the taxi boat over from Jaco. I paid $95 for the night which was a notch up from some of the other rooms because it was higher up with veiws. The rooms all have nice decks with hammocks, the AC worked great, the room was very comfortable. The staff was helpful in my reservations and booked the taxi boat for me. It has a great location just a block up the hill so your just off the beaten path. My stay was quiet, and the room was basic but clean with a great view. Beautiful well kept grounds as well.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

This is my 2nd stay at this hotel....I still stand firm that this is the 2nd best hotel in Montezuma behind the Ylang Lang, but the mattresses are terrible. I was here about 5 years ago, and the beds were old and busted up then...Definitely the same mattresses on this trip. Likewise, you will not be impressed with the bathrooms or luke warm showers either

The location, gardens and pool however, are clearly the best in town...So are the pacific views and proximity to wildlife (in particular, giant howler monkeys that sound like King Kong outside your room each night) Overall, I dont think you are going to find anything in this price range in monteauma that can compete

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel El Jardin? Share your experiences!