“What a fabulous place to be” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ylang Ylang Beach Resort

You added Ylang Ylang Beach Resort to your Saves list
Ylang Ylang Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Montezuma Beach | 10-12 minute walk North along the beach, Montezuma 00000, Costa Rica (Formerly El Sano Banano Beach Hotel)   |
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Brussels
“What a fabulous place to be”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2006

A friend took me to Ylang Ylang but I had no idea whatsoever that it would be THAT beautiful.
We got there at night and I had the impression we almost went through the sea to get there. The scenery is absolutely magnificent, you walk in a huge tropical garden and the view on the ocean simply breathtaking. You can just sit there and watch for hours, the sea, the wild animals and birds around you with a beautiful glass of some sort of juice or cocktail you just forget everything and enjoy. We were planning to come for a few days but never left to go anywhere else as I could not imagine anything else could be nicer. Plus the fact that Montezuma has a very good climat and in the rest of Costa Rica it was still raining a lot. The owners and the staff in the hotel go out of their way to make your stay very special and being woken up by the noice of a howler monkey in the mountain is soooooo much nicer then a alarmclock. I realy recommend this hotel and also the food is great specially after a few days of "rice and beans". It's hard to be back in Brussels and I am sorry we live so far away. Many thanks to Patricia, Lenny, their children and Lisa and Gamma and all the rest of the staff.

• Liked — The scenery, the gardens, the quitness (except the ocean), the people, the food
  • Tips/Secrets — just come and see it!!!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2006

We discovered this by a referral from another traveling couple. Once we arrived at Ylang Ylang we knew it was our kind of place. The scenery is spectacular, loved the pool and the design. A group of monkey's came to visit while we were in the pool, one had a baby. This is your kind of place if you truly enjoy nature, we saw more wildlife than on any wildlife tour we took. The food was great and the view while dining was fabulous. We expecially loved the staff, who took very good care of us. Ylang Ylang is a reason for us to return to Costa Rica. It has been referred as a paradise, we wanted to extend our stay but uinfortunately they were booked.
Lucky you if you can fit this into you trip. Say hello to Patrica who runs the restaurant.

• Liked — The great surroundings and wonderful food
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Book early
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2006

We booked a bungalow at the Ylang Ylang based on Fodor’s and Frommer’s glowing recommendations. We are not fans of big resorts and are more the adventure travel types, so when we were looking for a nicer, interesting place to spend a few days on the beach at the end of our trip, we thought this would be perfect. The property itself is gorgeous – beautiful pool, gardens, etc. But we were pretty disappointed when we were shown our bungalow (#6). It was not directly on the beach, as expected, but was set a ways back. It was also much smaller than we expected, and, weirdly enough, did not have a door to the bathroom. Outdoor shower = fine. No door between the toilet and the bed that is 8 ft away = not exactly my idea of romantic. So, we asked to see the other rooms or bungalows they had available and we shown a suite in the building – we thought it was nicer than the bungalow (though not as secluded/private) so we changed rooms. The suite was less expensive ($150 vs. $170), but the manager said we had to pay $170 for the first night (as a penalty for not liking the room, I guess).

The suite was nice – only complaints were that the walls were quite thin and the sheets were really, really old and rough. In a $15 a night cabina – fine, but for $150 a night I think they could afford sheets purchased sometime in the last 5 years.

The food at the restaurant was pretty good overall, but tended to be a little hit or miss (we had some really great dishes, some average ones, and one terrible one). It was ridiculously expensive for Costa Rica, however (e.g., $6 for a stuffed mushroom appetizer dish, with only 4 small mushrooms). Staff (at the restaurant and the hotel) was nice, friendly and very helpful.

On the bug issue mentioned by others – we are not bothered by bugs at all, but, that being said, there were a lot of bugs, so if you are, be forewarned. In our original bungalow, there were insects all over the wall, lots of ants in the inside of the refrigerator, and a crab battling a worm in the corner. I was eaten alive by bugs in the suite at night (I must have gotten 40-50 bites, and I don’t think I could have lasted another night), but bugs like me and it was the beach in Costa Rica, after all.

Overall, it was a nice place, but we expected more for the $150-$170 a night price range (given that we had better experiences at other hotels in Costa Rica for $100 or less).

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
uumatter, Manager at Ylang Ylang Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 26, 2006
Dear guest,
First off, I would like to thank you for choosing our place to stay! Regarding the price...I would like to point out that if you factor in that breakfast and dinner are included (a la carte) in the fee, your cost for the room would be less than $100 for a two person stay per night, taxes included! Pretty reasonable according to your standards.
Bungalow #6 is situated closest to the pool, just 30 seconds away from the beach. It is the best bungalow for viewing wildlife and has a nice deck for sitting and observation. The view is gorgeous. I would like to clarify that there is a wall between the bathroom and bedroom. The bathroom can not be seen from the bed nor deck and the unit is designed for two persons only...
The Bungalows are cozy, accessible and artfully laid out. There is ample space for two.
Regarding our restaurant, we are very, very surprised by your critique.
Can you please be constructive and let us know what dish was terrible, which were great and which were average? My email is listed below.
Regarding restaurant prices...Montezuma is a remote adventure village. Nearly all produce is imported and our staff is specially chosen and trained. We put very much effort and pride into our restaurant. Did you notice tax and service are included in the price (23%)?
We are sorry you were bothered by insects. Most of our guests who venture to our beach resort do not experience such an agressive reaction to insects. It appears you are one of the few who seem to attract them. We have found that some perfumes and essential oils actually attract insects. To those who carry this "insect magnet", I recommend non irritating insect repellent.
Another important item worth mentioning; Insects are attracted to food. A few crumbs are a feast for ants. All a guest needs to do is venture to the reception and ask for assistance in ridding their bungalow of unwanted critters. As you mentioned, we are all about the service...
We look forward to your reply,
Lenny
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2006

I stayed at the Ylang Ylang by myself last weekend and had a wonderful time. There were some aspects of this hotel that I thought were 3 stars, some I thought were 5. In the end, I give it 4 stars.

Cons: I stayed at the "downtown" facility and found my room a bit noisy. This was especially the case during the nightly movie, which I thought blared a little too loud for anybody's taste, but especially those of us wanting to sleep. Granted, the movie was over around 9:30, but after being in Costa Rica for almost a month, I am used to going to bed at sundown. Also, I would like to have had a window to open for fresh air, as opposed to A/C, but I realize other people appreciate the blaring air, it's just not for me.

Pros: Everything else about this hotel was a pro! The service was truly stellar. The staff made me feel really at home, and went out of their ways to befriend me when they saw I was staying on my own. The restaurant serves great food and they've cornered every niche with their downtown facility and the resort a 15 minute walk away. The pool area is gorgeous. I also really enjoyed the included breakfast (recommend the tofu scramble) and the nightly movie. Just the ticket for when you're exhausted after a strenuous day. (If you can manage to stay awake for it, which is sort of obligatory b/c you will hear it from your room anyway.)

I would definitely stay at the Ylang Ylang again. It is a one-stop shop for all your needs in Montezuma and the location is great.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Ylang Ylang Beach Resort? Share your experiences!