“Heaven on Earth” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ylang Ylang Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Ylang Ylang Beach Resort to your Saves list
Ylang Ylang Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Montezuma Beach | 10-12 minute walk North along the beach, Montezuma 00000, Costa Rica (Formerly El Sano Banano Beach Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 19 hotels in Montezuma
Huddersfield
“Heaven on Earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

I visited with my husband (a keen bird watcher and general nature-lover) and our two sone aged 9 and 6. We stayed for 4 nights and are looking forward to returning.

Let me get the one minor negative out of the way first: we stayed in JK5, a beach-front suite, and found that we could hear most of what went on in rooms either side. Over the course of the 4 nights this provided us with some varied entertainment as guests came and went! But we would have preferred not to hear!

As for the positives, this must be one of the most beautiful places in the world, the setting is amazing and well-maintained. There was always a member of staff on hand, be it gardeners, cleaners, reception, restaurant etc and without exception they were friendly, smiling and helpful.

Mario was fantastic and always had something informative to tell us. Everyone seemed genuinely concerned to make sure we had a good experience.

The restaurant was great in terms of food, service and setting. We ate there on Valentine's evening and had the very basic common sense to make a reservation. Duh! The service was great despite it being busy.

I took advantage of the Happy Hour only once, and my second drink was offered, I did not even have to ask (unlike reported in an earlier review). The waiter was Carlos, who served us often throughout, and we also would like to mention Danny who was great too.

The wildlife was a treat and we would have understood seeing a few bugs - but in fact the room was pretty bug-free. There was a lizard in the shower at one point - which is cool, not a problem!

We had plenty of hot water and the pressure was fine, the room was lovely but with not much storage. If we'd been staying longer this may have been a problem.

The beach was wonderful, the boys had a brilliant time and the sea was so warm. The pool was also lovely and certainly not cold - just about perfect I would say.

There were plenty of hammocks dotted around the grounds and we never had a problem finding a quiet spot to read or relax for a while.

The transfers from town to the hotel worked out beautifully with 5 minutes wait on arrival - couldn't have been better.

Overall a fantastic experience - if you're picky and pathetic, stay at home and do everyone a favour. For rational folk who value the good things in life - friendly people, good food and nature's beauty - come here now!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family

496 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
california
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

Sitting in El Sano Banano after eating a meal we (fiance and I) were approached by the owner of the establishment, Patricia, who promoted the upcoming Valentines Day festivities at her upscale resort, Ylang Ylang. "Hurry and get a reservation" she said, and we did, a 2 night stay in a suite ($230/night!) to guarantee our place for the evening. Everything was wonderful up until the Valentines Day dinner, the purpose of our visit to the resort. Our dinner reservation was for 7:30 PM to allow us a leisurely dinner and time to pack for an early departure to catch a flight the next day. Upon arriving at the restaurant we found that not a table was available and told to come back in one and a half hours and for a guaranteed table. Low and behold, when we returned, no table was ready and they asked if we could wait another half hour. Half hour later we were back, VERY HUNGRY, and told by a very tired staff member that our table was ready. Of course the table was ready as the restaurant was in the process of closing for the night! As it turns out, the owner, Patricia, our money in her pocket, was enjoying dinner at the restaurant with a large group of her affluent friends. We had just received our beverages when Patricia was sighted. My fiance went up and told her that we would like to talk to her after we ate. Needless to say, when we had finished dinner (a mediocre meal at best), Patricia had already gone to her mansion by the beach to sleep. I feel very cheated by the experience and, even though her staff at Sano Banano are very pleasant and the food delicious, will never visit that establishment or the Ylang Ylang to ensure that I don't put another dime into her pocket. Please support the boycott of this big fish in a small pond.

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
uumatter, Owner Operator at Ylang Ylang Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 2, 2009
Dear visitors,

I was seriously sad to see your review on trip advisor and I first want to apologize for this unusual experience. When I mentioned to you that we had a special Valentines day activity, I did not know we were going to have such a serious problem in the kitchen that night with 2 of our main cooks reporting sick, unexpectedly, which backed up all the orders. That is why your table was not ready, because the people before you did not finish yet, as they also had to wait longer than usual. We have a history of excellence and we enjoy seeing our guests happy and satisfied. This was an abnormal experience.

I did not speak to you that night, like you mentioned in your review. When you asked to talk to Patricia, our waitress said that I had left, you said that you did not want to bother me and just talk to me in the morning. I would have been more than happy to talk to you, and I seriously wish I had, but no one was asked to look for me at any time.

It is really a shame you were not able to recall the incredible beauty of this slice of paradise but, instead, only think about one negative experience, and write a review whose intention is to denigrate me as a person rather than criticize in a humane and constructive manner.

I must add, I don't think you would have treated me in person as you do in writing, had we met and had a chance to speak.

Patricia
Mbelford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2009

I was very hesitant before leaving for Ylang Ylang because I had read some bad reviews on this site. After staying there, I cannot believe people could have anything negative to say about the resort unless they were looking for something to complain about.

We stayed in a beachfront bungalow. It was very nice and we appriciated thoughful touches like a pitcher of cold water in the refidgerator. I wasn't a fan of the curtain to the bathroom. Perhaps the addition of a thick fabric curtain would solve the problem easily. The room was very clean, countering previous reviews. Obviously, one has to be cognizant of bugs, but so long as one rinses coffee mugs, doesn't leave food out, and uses common sense, there is no issue. The AC was great, especially when the temp got really hot. The water pressure was a bit lacking, but this is supposedly common to Costa Rica and unavoidable as was the need to not flush any tissue.

The grounds were amazingly beautiful. I think it's funny that resorts spend millions of dollars carving up the landscape and damaging the environment only to be overshadowed by the natural beauty of Ylang Ylang. We saw monkeys, iguanas, lizards, ahouti (sp?) and one very demanding cat. Being so close to this amount of wildlife was magical.

The food was excellent and plentiful. I had trouble deciding what to order each night due to so many options. The sushi and seafood were particularly wonderful and fresh.

The staff was very friendly and helpful with booking activities, taxis, etc. The spa was great, tucked up in the jungle. We rode horses to the falls and had a truly amazing time. Our guide was very knowledable and a lot of fun.

Montezuma was a great little town, very friendly and safe overall. Chico's Bar is a fun place, especially when there's good soccer on. I wish we had had time to try some of the restaurants in town. Next time...

Overall, this was an incredible trip. It was worth the terrfiying Sansa flight to get there and I would definately go back. If you have an unrealistic notion of what nature is like, you won't have a good time. Go to Beaches or Disney World or something. If you want to experience what a foreign country and its flora and fauna are truly like, stay somewhere without destroying its environment with unnatural landscaping and golf courses, and experience honestly friendly people rather than people forced to be servile, you will love Ylang Ylang. I was truly sad to leave and i am already recommending this resort to my friends. It would be fun for a romantic trip, a fun and educational family trip, or a great experience for a small group of friends.

• Liked — Location, overall service, the food
  • Disliked — The beaded curtain separating room from bathroom
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

We were looking for a small resort in Costa Rica, that offered something different than the typical, large, all inclusive Resort.

We wanted a quiet place where we could relax and unwind. Ylang Ylang was perfect!

We had some challenges getting there, because of mechanical problems on our American Airlines flight out of Toronto, that delayed our arrival by a day, and caused us to miss our Sansa flight. The Resort did a great job of assisting us with alternate ground transportation, that was very much appreciated.

We enjoyed dining under the stars: nice walks up the beach; reading by the pool; excellent quality meals, served by Patricia; the beautifully landscaped grounds; the monkeys and other wildlife.

We were there for eight nights, and stayed most of the time in a private bungalow. We enjoyed the privacy of the bungalow. Most nights we would turn on the AC for a few hours into the early evening, and then shut it off and open the screen door and window to sleep- that way we could listen to the sound of the ocean, and the wildlife, including "howler monkeys" one morning.

We learned of Ylang Ylang on line, and checked the trip advisor reviews to help us decide. We were a little concerned by some poor reviews that we saw just before our departure, but in in hind sight I think it must be people that were expecting something else.

My wife and I were completely pleased with everything and look forward to returning when we can arrange it.

• Liked — beautiful unique location-privacy
  • Disliked — could use more places to put soap and toiletries in washroom- not a big deal
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

When my fiance and I decided we wanted a destination wedding, we knew the "factory style wedding" of a large all-inclusive resort was far from our dream wedding... So I started looking into smaller resorts and remembered the amazing meal we'd had at Ylang Ylang when we were on vacation in Costa Rica 4 years earlier.

From the moment I first talked with Kaya, the Ylang Ylang wedding planner, I knew I had found the prefect person and resort to help us make our dream wedding a reality. Kaya couldn't have done a better job, and had a greater passion for his work, if it had been his own wedding!

All of the staff at the resort were extremely friendly and helpful, and made us feel like we were part of the "Ylang Ylang family". The restaurant serves the best food we've had at any resort we've stayed at around the world - bar none. And I can't think of a better spot for a vacation - including a destination wedding.

The two words that come to mind when I think of my experience at Ylang Ylang are: authentic and perfection. And thanks to Kaya and all of the staff at Ylang Ylang, January 3rd 2009 (our wedding day) was absolutely the happiest and most memorable day of our lives.

• Liked — The personal attention from staff combined with the beautiful setting.
  • Disliked — I wish it was in my own backyard :)
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

This is how it works in Montezuma: we originally had a reservation at El Sano Banano as we read in TripAdvisor what a value it was. Yes, it is a value for $75 a night, but the windows in the rooms do not open. When they showed us our room, the room smelled musty, which was a deal killer for my husband who has allergies. Also, the room did not have a safe, which is not tenable. When you want to lay on the beach, you can't have your passports out in the open on the beach.

We went back down to the reception and decided to check in to Ylang Ylang for 4 nights as both are owned by the same operator. This entailed us staying in the tent one night ($160), 2 nights at a private bungalow($265 a night), and one night in the waterfront room ($195 a night).

First night - tent - we checked in and we went to the beach. That was fine. We left the tent with an empty bag of trail mix and came back to ants swarming all over this bag, sink and our bed. We promptly put all our snacks into a tiny refrigerator, took out our bug spray and sprayed all over our room to reduce any ants. The shared showers had no water pressure. It took me almost 30 minutes to take a shower. One shared bathroom did not work. I told the reception that the bathroom did not work. What I got was a blank stare and was told that there should have been a sign. I told him no, and after I reported this, a sign was promptly set up.

Second/Third night - private bungalow - we were told that the people before us would check out at 11AM, but that there was no one coming to the tent, so we can put our stuff in the tent, until our room was ready. We went to the beach and our room was not ready, but as we were having lunch, the reception delivered our keys. Private bungalow was much nicer, but the bathroom did not have a door, only a curtain. We did see many animals from our balcony, which was nice. The second night, our toilet stopped working. My husband went down to the reception (remember, the rooms do not have phones, alarm clocks, or TV), and he was told that someone would come and look at the toilet. After waiting for 30 minutes, the maintenance person still had not made his appearance. My husband went down to the reception and asked, "where is the toilet man?". The same reception person asked what we had a problem with. When my husband explained that we had been waiting over 30 minutes for the maintenance man, the receptionist called and said that someone would come over to our room immediately. We waited approximately 5 minutes and the manager came and fixed the toilet. I ask, why did we have to go down and ask the reception for our toilet to be fixed again?
3rd night - my husband spilled some beer on the floor. He took a towel and wiped down the floor and to his dismay, he found the towel to be dark brown, which was not from the beer he spilled but the floor itself. This is why both of us use flip flops at hotels. Apparently, the cleaning staff does not mop the floors. My husband also found a huge cockroach (size of a chicken egg) in the bathroom. We also ran into tons of ants, big ants, which we killed approximately 50 of these suckers and sprayed the bug spray. After my husband wiped the floor again, we saw less ants. We christened the bungalow to a "bugalow".

4th day - we had to leave our bungalow at 11 in the morning, and we were told that our beachfront room would be ready by 12 noon. My husband and I went to the beach and came back at 12:30 and we were told that the room was not ready but were told that it should be ready in another 30 minutes. We stayed by the pool and in thirty minutes, since reception did not come to us, my husband went and picked up our key. We trekked over to our room, and the cleaning people were cleaning our room, and our room was not ready. We laid in the nearby hammock and waited until 2:15PM. This was when the room was ready. I was ready to explode by this time. Here is the kicker. I am 4 months pregnant and I had no where to go. When I told the reception that this was unacceptable, all I got was that he did the best he can. He blamed it on the cleaning people. No recourse or recompense was offered. I found their attitude highly offensive. His only response was that I could fill out a survey when I left.

Yes, this is a tropical area, and yes, I understand that there are bugs, but the cleaning people are busy creating stupid animal shapes with their towels and not actually cleaning or fumigating the rooms that they have lost the basics on cleaning a room. Also, these rooms are shoddily built that there are huge gaps to the doors so all the bugs have a free reign in the rooms. One night, we heard one woman telling the receptionist that there was a scorpion in her room. The response received was a laughter and a towel to put under their room so no bugs or creatures got in. A scorpion and that was the response given.

Reception tries to be friendly but are completely incompetent when faced with issues that are less than ideal.

Restaurant - portions are small, but the food is really good and the staff is friendly.

The beach is right in front of the rooms, so that's great, but other than that, this is not the place to stay. I don't know if there was a change in management because the prior reviews were all positive, and the newer reviews show that this place is lacking.

This place needs a lesson in how they can best run a hotel and they can take plenty of advice from Rita and Steve at Casa Bella Rita Boutique hotel in San Jose.

• Liked — being near the beach
  • Disliked — incompetent, inefficient staff, unmopped rooms - the list goes on.
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
uumatter, Administration at Ylang Ylang Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 17, 2009
In Response to your "Truly a Joke" review,

Let me start by saying there has been no change in management! We are still here and fortunate to be of service to our guests.

Now to the gritty details...

First night - Tent -
I can guarantee if you leave a bag of trail mix out, the smell alone will attract a whole slew of creatures. It's the law of the jungle.
Have you ever camped before? Outdoors?
Those dang water-saving shower heads are all the rage!
Nevertheless, the toilet was repaired promptly.

Second/Third night - private bungalow
I showed your review to our Manager, Moraya, and he was very surprised to see your comments. Since it was approximately 7:30PM when the toilet problem arose, our maintenance man was unavailable and the Manager quickly resolved the problem, which happened to be a detached flapper valve chain. You were very happy the Manager resolved the situation promptly and all was well and smiles!!! The manager was right there & you made no complaint!

3rd night
When your husband spilled beer, he obviously wiped the floor with a WHITE TOWEL, which is what we offer our guests. After using the room all day, of course the floor is soiled. Our cleaning staff, needless to say, do mop the floors on a daily basis and use special eco-friendly cleaning solutions that are quite strong and pleasant smelling (lemon oil being the active agent).

Regarding ants and insects in general... we are an eco-friendly resort and do not spray the life out of our environment. We could use very powerful pesticides that cause residual damage, but prefer to use pyrethum based products that are lightly toxic, get the job done at the moment and have no residual effect.

You mention that you saw many animals from your balcony, which you liked. We have a particular harmony going on and there are many animals present as a result. Anteaters, which are nocturnal, are plentiful at Ylang Ylang and indiscriminate use of pesticides would endanger their lives. Because of this policy; To cause no harm to our surrounding flora & fauna, we get to enjoy nature as it is, the keyword being SUSTAINABILITY.

So the lesson here is, yes, there are insects. They are part of the food chain... and any scraps like trail mix or even beer are part of their diet. Eliminate what attracts them and they will look for food elsewhere. Ants are scavengers.

You were unaware of this, but regarding the scorpion incident, our maintenance man went to the room and disposed of the insect as soon as it was reported. They are endemic to all of Costa Rica, though they are rarely seen by our guests. The variety we have on our peninsula are slightly toxic... much less than a bee sting in toxicity.

4th day
It is unfortunate you had to wait an inordinate amount of time to enter your room on your final day of your stay. Our check-in time is generally at 2:30pm with check-out being at 11am. I took up the issue with our reception staff and they admit they made the error in trying to get you into your room earlier than the check-in time. It turns out that some necessary maintenance was required that caused the delay. The maids and reception staff apologize for this but were happy to have your room in top shape for you to enjoy.

You mention the cleaning people are busy creating stupid animal shapes with the towels. Let it be known the girls work very hard to get the rooms in top shape for our guests. The artwork they create by folding towels into various animal forms is not only our policy, it is a creative outlet for them that gives them a chance to express themselves. The guests marvel at them. It is unfortunate you attempt to belittle them.

You mention the Reception tries to be friendly. At all times, our staff treated you in a humble and friendly manner and resolved your issues as promptly as possible. The fact that you mention the staff is incompetent and inefficient is in part a result of a lack of patience on your behalf.

It is true we can improve. All of us can... you, me and the rest of the world.

Our staff does not have the luxury of the level of education you experience, nor the indulgence of world travel. Yet they perform their jobs with pleasure and exude an air of patience and confidence each and every day.

I can truly attest, patience is a virtue and relatively rare these days.

Lenny
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

We arrived via Sansa airlines into Tambor where we where picked up at the airport by a cab which I pre arranged with Ylang Ylang. The transfer is $40 and so with 2 couples we split the cost. We where transported across the beach via a land-rover to the hotel which was a unique experience.

We had Dome #3 right on the beach it was great. There where a few small ants in the room but what do you expect when your near a jungle. The monkeys went by every morning and afternoon. That was the closest I have ever seen them in the wild. They are so funny to watch and are very curious of people they would jump from tree to tree and then come and have a closer look at us sitting on our balcony I was able to get some great pictures.

We stayed at YY for 6 nights and had the all inclusive program which includes breakfast and dinners. The food was amazing just as good as any 4 or 5 star restaurant. Our server was Jorge who was awesome he is a great asset to YY with his friendly smile and excellent service. Its always nice to have someone serve you who seems to genuinely enjoy their job which I believe he does.

Although I love YY, next time though I think I would only spend 4 nights at YY then move to another part of costa rica because you do get tired of the same menu every night although thats not to say they do not have a great selection and variety of food its just nice to eat out at different places after a while.

We rented the ATV's or quads for the day I would defiantly recommend doing this it was a lot of fun and you get to see alot of the back roads of Montazuma. It cost $80 for the day.

On New Years Eve Montazuma has a street party it was packed full of people tourists and locals. What a great time. At 12 fireworks went off and everyone welcomed in the New Year with a bag. There was lots of loud music and people dancing in the street.

I would definitely go back to Ylang Ylang it is a beautiful oasis and defiantly worth the money.

• Liked — Amazing location.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ylang Ylang Beach Resort? Share your experiences!