“A place where you can relax!” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Ylang Ylang Beach Resort to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Ylang Ylang Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Montezuma Beach | 10-12 minute walk North along the beach, Montezuma 00000, Costa Rica (Formerly El Sano Banano Beach Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 19 hotels in Montezuma
San Jose
“A place where you can relax!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Ilan Ilan is a small, natures friendly place, it is where you really can relax, go for a hike, visit others places in the area, good food, friendly staff, no TV and no Telephone in your rooms wich for me is a plus. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: If you like to be surrounding by forest and wake up with the houlers monkeys and other wildlife so y...

501 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

We were there March 23 - 27th. We'd spent 7 days in other areas of beautiful C.R. but Montezuma and Ylang Ylang for us was the highlight. This hotel is located in a beautiful location on a lush tropical beach, the place has a nice laid back vibe. We loved this place, our room was located off the beach in the bush and was just amazing, every night we had capuchin and howlers walking overhead putting on a show. We could hear the waves coming in it was all very relaxing and like I said laid back. There were lizards and other types of wildlife hanging around outside there were beautiful trails and easy access to the beach and Montezuma. We got to know some of their amazing staff, from the reception area staff to the folks we would see each day, in particular, Rafael (you the man Raf), Christian(hope youget your new board), SioMaria (I know I do not spell your name correctly but but you make a great ceasar and live for the moment kid:-)) the young lady from Washington (nice move kid :-)) Eric and others that I know I am forgetting you guys were great, always smiling and helpful. To the owners: You have a great resort and your staff really contribute to make this place shine.. We really loved this place and highly recommend it, you will have no regrets staying here.

Room Tip: The bungalows are great, next time we will try to get one located on the beach..

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

What can I add that hasn't already been written about this amazing resort? Ylang Ylang was the perfect place for our honeymoon, and my husband and I left already imagining coming back for our 5 year anniversary. Do yourself a favor and book this place!

We stayed in Beach Dome 1, which was a beautiful free standing bungalow (bedroom and bathroom) overlooking the gorgeous beach. The room was impeccably clean, and the towel animals left by housekeeping, complete with flower petals, was such a treat each day. The staff is wonderfully friendly, and, because it's not a huge resort, they remember you and get to know your preferences.

Then there's the food. Oh the food! It was absolutely delicious! I highly recommend the Montezuma Seafood Grill and the Vegan Nachos. Everything is made from scratch and with fresh ingredients, and I couldn't find a thing in the 7 days we were these, for breakfast and dinner, that I didn't love.

We booked snorkeling in Tortuga Island and horseback riding on the beach to the waterfall through Ylang Ylang, and both excursions were fabulous. My husband also booked the private beach dinner one night, and that may have been one of the most romantic nights of my life. The care and attention to detail that went into that meal was extraordinary.

Basically, all the other reviewers are right, that this place is a dream. Thank you Ylang Ylang for making our honeymoon so special!

Room Tip: Beach Dome 1 is the most private of the domes, nestled within the vegetation. You'll love it!
State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

this was perfect for a quite, contained, gorgeous, restorative (mind/body meld), contemplative journey. We were there with my 86 year old mom, she loved the kindness and ease, as well as the relative challenge of the walks to room to dining, and my daughter 15, she would have like a bit more access to town and excitement, but now that she has experienced the place, I imagine she'd be able to find some additional excitement with very little trouble (double meaning perhaps not intended). Remote, natural, and complete. Beautiful

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Albany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

We arrived in San Juan and took the Nature Air flight to Tambur airport. The driver was waiting for us at the airstrip and took us directly to the resort. It took about 40 minutes and we loved the driver Eduardo who, as it turned out, was also an incredible guide on our tour of Curu Wildlife Refuge. He had a high end camera and identified over 20 birds and not only took amazing photos of them to show us on his tripod, but gave us a CD of the photos. The reserve was also amazing full of monkeys, bats, iguanas, and other amazing jungle creatures. The resort food was the best I have had in Costa Rica. We at outside every meal overlooking the beach in a fine dining, but not pretentious, environment. The wait staff as all the staff were engaging, upbeat, helpful, friendly, and eager to please. The rooms are air conditioned and have incredible views and access to the ocean. We didn't do a lot of swimming in the ocean because of the big waves and rocks, but the facility pool was also great. We were visited by iguanas and when I heard the howler monkeys, I went up the path and we had a great monkey show for 45 minutes. We also saw an armadillo on the grounds and two agoufi (like giant guinea pig). We went horseback riding to a waterfall and galloped on the beach on the way back and hiked into town to another incredible waterfall. The walk to town was about 10 to 15 minutes on the beach. The town is cute and funky and we had lunch their daily. Loved the ceviche! There are hammocks everywhere and plenty of places to relax, read, sun, walk, etc.... We enjoyed chatting with other guests and the staff........simply a great place to go!

Room Tip: The dome rooms are higher in the canopy and a little fancier. But all the rooms are great and have e...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We spent 5 days at ylang ylang beach resort in one of the beachfront tents. It was as if we were sleeping in the jungle. We awoke each morning to the sound of the Howler Monkey and the most beautiful birdsong. High points were the massage my partner and I had, the exceptionally good food served in the restaurant by the lovely Patricia and the lovely pool set amongst tropical trees and flowers with monkeys watching from above. We didn't really want to leave during those 5 days. A truly relaxing time had by both of us.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

New Orleans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I just returned from a week at Ylang Ylang for our honeymoon. We both agree that Ylang Ylang provides the most perfect experience of 'paradise' one could ask for. The resort is small and intimate so the staff all know your name and you know their names (if you take a minute to remember and interact with them). The staff is extremely accommodating to any needs you may have while staying at YY and always completes the request with a genuine smile. I believe that it is evident that YY treats their staff well which shines through in their love for their job and their willingness to tend to their guests.

We felt like we had rented our own beach while we were there. We stayed in Coco Joe's and had a personal walkway about 10 steps to the beach. We had our own hammocks perfectly placed on the edge of the beach just under the shades of the palm trees. We were never disturbed by neighbors or any other guests while at CJ's because nobody is close enough to the cabana to bother you. We bathed in the outdoor shower without ever feeling as though our privacy was violated. We met people at CJ's with their children who were having a fabulous time, older couples having a great time, and individuals staying on their own for the first time, or in some cases, their 4th or 5th time.

The food is top notch. There was not an item we did not thoroughly enjoy. The town is nearby and the walk at any time is extremely safe. We had drinks in town and had a great time at their sister restaurant watching an evening movie. The housekeepers were never seen, but always came and made our room look brand new. The options for tours etc... are very thorough, all are good, and easy to set up.

I hope that you go so that they continue to get business, but I hope that nobody goes so that the secret doesn't get spoiled. I will return to YY many, many times and I will bring others with me!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Ylang Ylang Beach Resort? Share your experiences!