“Best trip EVER!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ylang Ylang Beach Resort

and 1 more site!
You added Ylang Ylang Beach Resort to your Saves list
Ylang Ylang Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Montezuma Beach | 10-12 minute walk North along the beach, Montezuma 00000, Costa Rica (Formerly El Sano Banano Beach Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
“Best trip EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

When asked about my trip to Costa Rica those are the first words out of my mouth - and YlangYlang was a big part of that. I stayed in one of the tent cabins and I'm hesitant to even write this review because I'm not sure I want to share the secret that is YlanYlang. I traveled alone and yet never felt alone while staying at YlangYlang - the staff is amazing - as in I've never stayed somewhere with better staff. The tours that were booked for me, the transportation that seemed to go without a hitch (miraculously), the location, the spa, the wildlife, the amazing views - at one time I texted a friend asking if it was possible to have too many pictures of the beach - the entire stay was a major contributor to my trip of a lifetime. And I loved the tent cabin, even after a little uncertainty the first night. I took the snorkeling trip - it was wonderful, and I could never gush enough about the horseback riding tour - Jaime was amazing. I went to bed each evening thinking there was no way the next day could get better - and yet somehow each day only improved.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Gulf Shores, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

My husband and I spent 6 nights at Ylang Ylang and it was one of most amazing vacations I had ever been on. The staff were so kind and eager to help and please! The food was outstanding and should have its own review in and of itself!! We stayed in Coco Joe's and it was a nice size and the outdoor shower was something to get used to but it was all a part of the experience! The views from our room were breathtaking and the wildlife roamed free on the property. I loved this place because it was not a "tourist resort" like a Sandals or something would be like.It was quite a journey to get there but I promise it is worth it! I cannot wait to return!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

My husband and I arrived yesterday. We are celebrating 10yrs of marriage here at Ylang Ylang. It was quite an adventure getting to the resort. Took and airplane to San Jose, arranged a semi private transfer. Edwardo #1 picked us up from SJO and took us to the ferry. Edwardo was an amazing driver and tour guide! Once we arrived on the other side on the ferry. Edwardo #2 took us to Montezuma. Then lastly Eddie drove us in the range rover down the beach path to ylang ylang. It was a long journey! I would recommend, taking the small plane from SJO airport to Tambor (25 min ride) and then taking a taxi to Montezuma (30min ride). It was dark when we arrived but we were immediately greeted with a welcome drink and treated to a wonderful dinner on the beach (included in your stay). The pool area was so peaceful with a waterfall and hammock area. We chose to stay in the beach front room with loft. The bungalows would have been my first choice but they were a little more $ than I wanted to spend. I am not disappointed with our choice of rooms. It is everything I could want and more. We woke up to waves crashing, and a breathtaking view. We are from Atlanta Ga, and I'm naturally high strung with a very busy daily schedule. This place is exactly the opposite of the way I live my life. I have found my happy place!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Such a hidden jem. The setting is beautiful and private, staff is lovely. Can't wait to go back. The only small issue we had was that there seemed to be a lot of ants (harmless) in our room. We didn't mention it to the staff as it was such a minor issue but I'm sure it could be easily solved.

Room Tip: We stayed in Dome 1...very quiet, close to the pool and restaurant.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

My family and I (including my 80 year old mother) enjoyed a weeks stay at Ylang Ylang. The place is truly amazing. The beauty is breathtaking and facilities are impeccable. The food is heavenly and the staff incredible. There really isn't anything bad I can say about this place.

It is an adventure to get here, but if you look at it as an adventure then you will not be disappointed. We flew in to San Jose and purchased the half-transfer to and from the resort. The only difference between the half and full transfer is that you have to take you luggage off the van and carry it on the ferry and then take it off the ferry and put it on another van. If you want to pay the extra $$ then the full transfer is fine. We were greeted at the airport by someone holding a sign with my name (the kids loved it!) and he took us to our first shuttle. The driver took us to the ferry and we were greeted by another driver on the other side (Eduardo). The trip from the airport to the resort is long and very bumpy at times, but the drivers we friendly, professional, and very knowledgeable. We were greeted at the resort by Eric and taken to our rooms for a needed sleep. We woke up the next morning to spectacular views of the jungle and the ocean. I mentioned Eduardo and Eric specifically because they were amazing people. Eduardo was also our guide on the Curu Wildlife excursion. He is amazing! The staff at the restaurant Rafael and Christian as well as a couple others that I can't remember their names were also incredibly helpful, genuine, and polite!

The food was nothing short of perfect. They have a wide variety for all different diets. There of us are vegan and they food was beautiful in taste and sight. My mom eats chicken and fish and she loved her meals equally as much. In fact a few meals she got what I ordered because she said it looked so good. She was not disappointed.

I really don't know what else to say. We surfed, snorkeled, ziplined, shopped, and just relaxed. We would definitely go again, but probably won't since there are so many other places in the world that we would like to see.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

We spent 9 nights in Costa Rica, in 7 different places, and this was our favourite of all of the places we stayed. I wished we had stayed here more than one night, and would happily come back for a long break. It's right by the sea, in wonderful landscaped greenery with excellent staff, pretty good food (dinner and breakfast were both inlcuded) excellent cocktails and happy hour, and great facilities (pool, spa, yoga, bikes and bodyboards available).
We stayed in the "tent" which was bigger and better equiped than I'd imagined, and the bathroom and shower were great. I'm glad we stayed in the tent as we got to hear the waves crashing onto the beach all night long and felt closer to the nature. In the grounds we saw numerous exotic birds as well as white faced monkeys and iguanas.
I highly recommend this place.

Clermont, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Sorry, we were there only as guests in the swimming pool and the bar (sent there by their sister hotel). But, definitely, next time in Montezuma this will be our choice as a hotel. The staff was very welcoming and friendly. We greatly enjoyed their romantic location on the beach about 10 minutes on foot from Montezuma center. Don’t miss the happy hour with a Mojito after the swim!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ylang Ylang Beach Resort? Share your experiences!