“Epic, Epic, Epic!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ylang Ylang Beach Resort

You added Ylang Ylang Beach Resort to your Saves list
Ylang Ylang Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Montezuma Beach | 10-12 minute walk North along the beach, Montezuma 00000, Costa Rica (Formerly El Sano Banano Beach Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
San Juan Capistrano
“Epic, Epic, Epic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Oh, I’m so jealous that you are reading this now and about to go to Ylang Ylang and we’ve just come back. We went for our 10 year anniversary and picked this resort specifically for the vegetarian food options, the yoga, and the private bungalows. It certainly exceeded our expectations! The pictures do not do the resort justice! Our ocean bungalow/dome was surrounded by so much lush greenery; it was completely private. From our lanai, all we could see was jungle and ocean. The food was mind-blowing (every single dish!), the yoga room was epic, the grounds were magical, it was such an amazing rainforest/ocean experience all while being at a peaceful and beautiful resort.
The customer service and staff is top notch. I was blown away by the warmth of the Costa Rican people in general and Ylang Ylang certainly employs the best of the best! We are delighted with the front desk, particularly Alejandra and Jeffry. Eric, your driver who picks you up, is the happiest guy on the planet, possibly, and really starts the trip off right.
And then the restaurant staff! You will get 5 star treatment from Christian, who has the best beer pour ever and belongs at any fine dining establishment in the world. Irvine, who was brand new from El Sano Banano to Ylang Ylang was wonderful and we hope he stays at Ylang Ylang! And then last, but really at the top of our list, is Rafa, who we now really consider a friend. Rafa’s warm spirit and hospitality and customer service, really shined! He is so much more than a great server, such a great human being. We were lucky to become friends and also have him as our private waiter for the romantic dinner on our last night at the resort…what a memory!
The spa is unlike any spa you will ever visit. Being up in the rainforest almost made me want to trade my ocean dome for a jungle dome….amazing experience, you HAVE to get a spa treatment!
On a logistical note, we chose to fly, which all went very smoothly, since luckily weather permitted, but did slightly delay our take-off. Then we rented a car and kept it at El Sano, we were happy about both those decisions. Also, when we went the waves were huge and beach out front was not swimmable, but that didn’t take away from our experience. We explored other beaches, did hikes, zip linlining, and loooooved their pool.
As another review I read said, stop your search here and just go to Ylang Ylang. Assuming you are like us and don’t want some high-rise, jam packed with people, long buffet line resort, and prefer private bungalows and a peaceful resort with amazing people and food, then this is your place…epic, epic, epic.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Our family has visited Ylang Ylang many times.....it is our favorite vacation spot. It has everything for the entire family. Your can spend time on the beach, swim in the beautiful pool, and view the lush gardens and wild life. You can also arrange for surfing, horseback riding, and atv rentals. Nearby is a beautiful waterfall and zip line. This place is paradise found!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

If you want to get away from it all, if you want to experience, a fantastic time in the jungle, on the beach and watching wild life, Ylang Ylang is the place for you. We have stayed at Ylang Ylang many times and it just gets better every time. The rooms are lovely, the food is excellent, and the staff the best. We love the beautiful views....every where you look is like a picture post card. It is just the most wonderful setting for a hotel possible. We love walking to town on the beach, even walking back at night is delightful. What more could you want?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Glastonbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I work a 60+ hour a week job in an extremely taxing investment management firm where noise and chaos reign supreme. Needless to say, when researching where to spend my precious (and few) vacation days, I was extremely careful to choose somewhere that would provide me with the comfort, relaxation, and quiet that I was desperately in need of.

I found paradise at Ylang Ylang Beach Resort in Montezuma, Costa Rica. Not only was it extremely affordable, but the view was spectacular. I woke every morning only a few steps from an absolutely stunning Costa Rican beach. The resort was so easy to navigate, with paths laid out to the restaurant, spa etc. Never once did I feel lost or overwhelmed like I have on trips to other locations. It was a family-friendly resort, with an atmosphere that welcomed all but provided a peace and serenity that you do not always find at most warm-weather getaways that have become jammed with spring-breakers.

I tried every dish that I could on the menu, all of which were delicious. The staff was so kind, introducing themselves to me, learning my name, and always saying hello anytime I stopped by. I have never met a friendlier group on any other vacation I have been on, they were a joy to be around.

I was so reluctant to leave at the end of my trip, Ylang Ylang provided me with the comfort of a home away from home. I will most certainly be going back very soon!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Kansas City, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Remote paradise only accessible by 4x4 or walking. All the charm of montezuma without the 20something hippies beating down your door. This was luxury with a smile! Rooms are 4 star but the views are 5 star. Most have direct access to the beach. The pool is beautiful with waterfall, hammocks, both sun and shade. Poolside drink service during happy hour. Meals are served from 7am to 10pm and are high quality, but not much variety. Lots of vegetarian options. The spa is one of the best I've ever visited. So good I went back on the second day. The deep tissue was just that and the next day the Thai massage was a perfect complement. Open air tent in the jungle with the waves crashing against the rocks, no music needed mother nature provides! The beach at the hotel is small, but the 15min walk away provides an expansive beach. At times we were the only ones there (usually in the morning). At most there were 15 people on this almost half mile beach! Secluded paradise off the beaten track!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Corning, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed 5 nights at Ylang Ylang Beach Resort for our honeymoon and had a perfect experience. We arrived at the Sano Banano hotel which is their sister hotel in Montezuma and a driver from Ylang Ylang was there to pick us up in 15 minutes and took us to the resort. There is no way you could find this one your own, it is very secluded - and for good reason. Once you get to the resort you are given welcome drinks which were absolutely delicious and the driver takes your luggage to your room for you. While walking to our bungalow we were in constant 'Aw' of the resort. There is rainforest all around but yet you can walk 100 feet and be at the beach. We stayed in the Beachfront Bungalow and it was very nice. The bungalow had air conditioning and the bathrooms, set-up, porch were all very nice. We ate breakfast and supper at Ylang Ylang everyday we were there and ALL meals were EXCELLENT and I can't say EXCELLENT enough. Their food was absolutely delicious. My husband and I enjoyed the 3-5:30p Happy Hour specials as well which was fun. We constantly had monkeys, lizards, and birds all around us. All of the staff, especially the evening waitors were wonderful and we truly enjoyed all of them. I also want to mention the sound of the waves right at your doorstep, literally. It was so relaxing and really made you feel at peace. There is wi-fi at the resort but we refrained from using it just because we wanted to escape reality which was very easy to do at this resort. My husband and I had never traveled out of the USA and are small-town people and this resort and town fit us to a T. Perfect size of town, and absolutely stunning, hidden gem resort of Ylang Ylang! We couldn't have asked for a better or more relaxing honeymoon.

Room Tip: Beach Front Bungalow is amazing!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Minot, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed two nights on our honeymoon at their in-town hotel, the Sano Banano, with its mustard stucco walls and weird rooms. We decided to upgrade for our third night in Montezuma and go to the Ylang Ylang where we had used the amazing pool and restaurant. They were offering a $50 off rate so we booked it. After having our luggage transfered we walked to the resort (you cannot drive your own car) and arrived to a kind desk lady that informed us that the $50 off was for two or more nights. It CLEARLY said for one night at the other location and my husband offered to walk all the way back and get the sign. She graciously made a call to her supervisor and gave us the rate, which was still $150 for the basic room. We arrived in our room to see that the decorations, walls, bed coverings, etc are EXACTLY like the place in town that we paid $65 per night. The amenities are better, like coffee in the room and a big bathroom but after three weeks in costa rica, most of the hotels would benefit from a heavy coat of white paint. The view is great as is the pool and the waiter at our table for the included dinner was fantastic!
I went to use the complimentary computer at the front desk that evening and a couple on their honeymoon was checking in. they were asking the desk man about many things that my husband and i had struggled through and learned about the hard way. I offered them my advice about walking to the waterfalls (which were both treacherous and i was slammed with massive driftwood en route, my husband couldnt even make the trek) The front desk person just said, oh yes, it is that way. offering no advice or warnings!!! He continued to talk to them and then they left.
I smiled and mentioned to him that it might be helpful to people unfamiliar with the area as we are, to advise them to the dangers of hiking the close falls (huge water rushing, slippery rock scrambling) and the far falls (massive tides, slamming driftwood, disappearing path, take a guide on horseback!!!!!) He wouldnt even look at me and muttered something under his breath and set to work straightening the brochures. I had been waiting there for help as well, for the computer did not function. I was ignored and insulted and went back to my room.
This would be 4 stars if the rooms were better looking and this person was like the rest of the staff and was kind. I think this hotel has a lock on high end accommodations in montezuma. For your $250+ you can stay someplace truly fantastic elsewhere.

Room Tip: the huts are ok but still poorly designed, if you stay here, save your money and stay in a regular r...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
uumatter, Owner at Ylang Ylang Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for mentioning our A+ location, amazing pool and restaurant. Regarding mention of our resort as overpriced could not be farther from the truth. Be aware that your stay included breakfast and candlelit dinner for two, aside from the many other amenities included. On top of that, you received a substantial discount we offer from time to time, in case of last minute cancellations or no-shows.

Thanks also for mentioning that "The view is great as is the pool and the waiter at our table for the included dinner was fantastic! ". We are happy you enjoyed the food and ambiance.

At Ylang Ylang Beach Resort, your room opens up directly to a lovely sandy beach, unlike El Sano Banano and the other hotels in town. One is a Beach-front Resort with all the amenities and associated costs and the other a village hotel with economy in mind.

We are sorry your experience with our desk manager was less than perfect and we have brought this issue to his attention. He apologizes for his actions and admits he was under pressure that day, with personal issues.

As far as design of the rooms and bungalows are concerned, what you consider weird we consider wonderful... and since you did not actually stay in a bungalow... well, you get the idea.

Lenny

Been to Ylang Ylang Beach Resort? Share your experiences!